Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

loving Ent gave him a tyson style left uppercut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Right on the off button

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

My response:

"Whattt?!? No... No... No... 'chortle' idiot."

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It's not gory or anything but good christ that guy has to be in the hospital and it just gives me the oogies watching the big wet smack straight to his face

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It's not gory or anything but good christ that guy has to be in the hospital and it just gives me the oogies watching the big wet smack straight to his face

I think after making that big a fuckie wukkie that guy might have ended up in the forever box. jesus gently caress that just made me shout out into my empty office "OOF"

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

That guy is fuckin' *dead*

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Going frame-by-frame it looks like it hit him pretty solidly right in the goddamn face.

Shoes stayed on, though. He'll be fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Three points of contact at all times, OSHA approved.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dude is smoking balls tonight
https://i.imgur.com/TSnB7Iw.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
You know I probably just wouldn't try to step over the glowing hot metal bar

Guess I'm just different that way

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It'll be a hot tiiiime in the old paaaaants tonight

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vasectomies have really come a long way, haven’t they

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Bad Munki posted:

Vasectomies have really come a long way, haven’t they

Damnit beaten

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I have been fortunate to escape major injury with power tools for my 45 years on earth but that almost came to an end last month. I bought some gate hinges that had holes that were too small so I set up my drill press to make them just a tiny bit larger. Instead of C clamps holding the hinge onto the table, I was hand holding the hinges. As I started drilling my 8th and final hole the bit caught the hinge and spun my hand around the whole chuck and my hand managed to stop the motor without breaking all of my fingers. I attribute it to the fact I had the belt drive set to the slowest setting (small pully motor side big pulley chuck side). Needless to say I sure learned my lesson that day and will never not use a c clamp.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Frottage with Satan

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Out of all the dumb poo poo we did with power tools working at a hardware store, the closest I ever came to a really serious injury was working with some bailing wire for the cardboard bail. An end got stuck in the roll and I gave it a sharp tug where it came flying up at high speed and stabbed in the dead center of my eye. Well, it would have if I weren't wearing glasses at the time. Not safety glasses, just my regular old broken glasses. But I still remember that pointy wire end an inch from my pupil.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
That man does in fact have a jumbo pair of balls

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Found the balls where the pee is stored.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Spent a few minutes whipping this up:

Some music to go along with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg0tFRea0wA

There is a thing that burned my balls off
Hot, hot hot hot, yeah

My testicles
Those testicles

Thats when I burned off my whole nut sack
my my my god NO!!!

My testicles
Those testicles

I can't cum when I want to
No more gooo, yeah
Isn't fair that I lost my nuts
And no more shooting GOOOO!
OH GOD NO

Lost nuts in the summer time

Burned off my balls and they won't grow back
Gone, gone gone gone, yeah

My testicles
Those testicles

Goo goo goo goo
No more gooo, yeah
That ain't cool
Isn't fair that I lost my nuts
And no more shooting GOOOO!

OOOH GOD NOO

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

finally, the perfect piss storage vessel

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

"its just thin metallic film balloons full of noble gasses, what could possibly go wrong?"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It looks like just maybe he took it in the helmet.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
All this table saw talk reminds me of a few years ago at my old job. In the winter I would do projects around the place, and was ripping some long pieces of wood into thinner battens for a fence or screen or something. Anyway, it was a cheap building-supply warehouse saw, no riving knife or anything. I must have hit a knot or something on one piece, and it was flung back into the right side of my groin at what felt like destructive speed. I was wearing a tool belt which broke a bit of the impact but it hurt sooooo much. I layed on the ground for a few minutes, unable to move, before going to the toilet expecting to find a destroyed testicle dangling from a burst scrotum or something, but luckily it just hurt for a few hours.
I think I finished that project using the skilsaw and finishing with handsaws.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I have done all sorts of fabrication and machining; the only tool that still gives me Danger Sweats is a tablesaw. I know to be alert and have a plan, and not be Adam Savage when working with machines and I know that will keep me safe, but tablesaws whisper "give me fleeessh" every time I'm within a couple feet of one. It's All Braincells On Deck when I need to work with one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Adam Savage rejects your reality and substitutes his own. His own reality where it makes sense to hold a rag near a spinning lathe.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Panaflex posted:

I have been fortunate to escape major injury with power tools for my 45 years on earth but that almost came to an end last month. I bought some gate hinges that had holes that were too small so I set up my drill press to make them just a tiny bit larger. Instead of C clamps holding the hinge onto the table, I was hand holding the hinges. As I started drilling my 8th and final hole the bit caught the hinge and spun my hand around the whole chuck and my hand managed to stop the motor without breaking all of my fingers. I attribute it to the fact I had the belt drive set to the slowest setting (small pully motor side big pulley chuck side). Needless to say I sure learned my lesson that day and will never not use a c clamp.

Get or build a drill press vice (John Heisz built a nice one from wood, Heisz btw is a bit osha in his practices, also boomer as heck in opinions)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Caedus posted:

I have done all sorts of fabrication and machining; the only tool that still gives me Danger Sweats is a tablesaw. I know to be alert and have a plan, and not be Adam Savage when working with machines and I know that will keep me safe, but tablesaws whisper "give me fleeessh" every time I'm within a couple feet of one. It's All Braincells On Deck when I need to work with one.

I feel I ought to be more scared of the lathe than the table saw.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I feel I ought to be more scared of the lathe than the table saw.

Naw, I think there's a Terror Factor at play here. A milling machine or lathe could kill me so easily I'm automatically working at a higher attention level and have a brain that is constantly thinking about all the ways it could gently caress me up, so I don't do dumb poo poo like put rags (or my sleeves or anything like that) anywhere in the vicinity of it. A tablesaw is *just* easy enough to use that if you're doing repetitive tasks or "just trying to do it real quick" it's easy to move that guard, not use the pushstick, try and put a bigger piece of material than it's designed for etc and end up maiming yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Adam Savage, and Mythbusters was a big influence on me ending up in the trades but I think he's got hardcore ADHD and has a brain that says "do it NOW" instead of "do it RIGHT". When I watch him, I can see him thinking about the next 2-3 steps of a project and not the one he's working on that second, and that's where mistakes happen. That motherfucker is lucky he only hosed up a finger and his last Tested video wasn't "Adam Savage's One Day Build: I turn myself into a tube of toothpaste but filled with human viscera"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Caedus posted:

For me it's the bandsaw.

I know a table saw has the blade literally spinning towards you and the danger of kickback, but bandsaws are used to cut meat and bone, plus you're moving your workpiece in two dimensions with both hands, so there's more to keep track of. Also you can't really use push sticks, you have to have your hands pretty close to the blade, and it always seems like it's tempting you to put your thumb right in front of the blade. Freaks me out.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 5, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Did those 'fingat saver' circular saw devices that destructively halt the blade in a split-second ever become generally available? Or is the occasional careless finger cheaper than replacing the saw mechanism?

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYLAi4jwXcs&t=139s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bosch even made a non destructive version, not sure if they still sell it, was some litigation with sawstop over it (I think).

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

As far as I know there isn't a way to retrofit them onto an existing saw so you have to buy a whole new SawStop brand table saw or router. Wikipedia says that the patents start expiring later this year, so hopefully it will start to become an affordable and widespread thing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

For me it's the bandsaw.

I know a table saw has the blade literally spinning towards you and the danger of kickback, but bandsaws are used to cut meat and bone, plus you're moving your workpiece in two dimensions with both hands, so there's more to keep track of. Also you can't really use push sticks, you have to have your hands pretty close to the blade, and it always seems like it's tempting you to put your thumb right in front of the blade. Freaks me out.

I strongly dislike bandsaws and haven't used one since school. That long exposed blade with zero guards looks like it wants to take off an entire arm not just some fingats.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My dad sold his nice, massive table saw and was about to buy the nicest SawStop when he got diagnosed with leukemia. He was a lifelong woodworker as his hobby plus general handyman-ness and was always very careful. He taught me all the safety rules for power tools that I’ll need to pass down to my kids when they’re old enough to use them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

In the DIY forum there has been discussion about the saw stop and it seems the consensus is that the idea is great, but the company is lovely with their business practices.

Caedus posted:

I had a radial arm saw that I ended up getting rid of. That thing absolutely wanted blood if you were doing anything other than a cross cut.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
At least table saws notice when they start to hit material. bandsaw just sits there humming, destroying whatever gets put in front of it. bandsaws and PTOs, man.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

AFewBricksShy posted:

In the DIY forum there has been discussion about the saw stop and it seems the consensus is that the idea is great, but the company is lovely with their business practices.

I had a radial arm saw that I ended up getting rid of. That thing absolutely wanted blood if you were doing anything other than a cross cut.

I think they would be cool for a dedicated dado saw, if you had the space, and with negative rake blades.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7QOAH9A.mp4