Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has anyone successfully used oat milk in place of real milk?

i assume you mean for sandwich bread? there’s no real reason you couldn’t. you’ll miss out on some of the milk proteins but you’ll get sugars and fat (probably from safflower oil or something) which will still have an effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yesterday’s smol breads make for today’s smol chee

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just put rolled oats in the blender and pulverize them if you want the oat flavor added into bread.

Or soak steel cut oats over night and add them into a white/wheat blend.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Just put rolled oats in the blender and pulverize them if you want the oat flavor added into bread.

Or soak steel cut oats over night and add them into a white/wheat blend.

my guess is as a replacement for milk in an enriched sandwich bread rather than actively putting oat flavour in.

it's also worth pointing out that most commercial oat milk is enzymatically treated to be sweeter - whether that makes a big difference to something like yeast, though, i couldn't tell you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mediaphage posted:

my guess is as a replacement for milk in an enriched sandwich bread rather than actively putting oat flavour in.

Yeah it’s this. I’m lactose intolerant so I never buy real milk, but I’ve found oat milk is just as good for me. If I don’t have to buy milk just for baking and instead just use the oat milk I already buy then that’d be grand.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah it’s this. I’m lactose intolerant so I never buy real milk, but I’ve found oat milk is just as good for me. If I don’t have to buy milk just for baking and instead just use the oat milk I already buy then that’d be grand.

yeah you don't need to buy milk (although there are lots of good lactose free milks available these days if you want the flavour and sometimes that's nice), but i would probably add an egg and maybe some honey or diastatic malt or something to sort of recreate the components of milk that change the texture and rise of your bread. i'd probably save the oat milk for drinking / etc honestly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I use almond milk in my quick bread drop biscuits (oil based as well) and they are less rich, but I get a better brown on them somehow. The tastiness balances out.

I say give it a try and take notes!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I just got a sweet rear end hipster scoring knife. Check their instagram for how they make them.

Which resulted in this:

Was a little impatient so threw it in the oven when the baking steel was not fully up to temp. Became a little denser as a result, which I actually kinda like from a taste and mouthfeel perspective.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Made my best batch of biscuits to date.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So we've been having some issues with our bread dough being pretty floppy and spreading out to much in the oven. Tracked the issue down to overdeveloping in the bulk fermentation. Resolved that and back to good bread again!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Stringent posted:

Made my best batch of biscuits to date.

I love biscuits. Recipe?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bolind posted:

I just got a sweet rear end hipster scoring knife. Check their instagram for how they make them.

lol at ppl still calling things hipster in 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Boris Galerkin posted:

I love biscuits. Recipe?

I've only got ingredients, I'm going to write up a proper recipe when I get it right, but here's the ingredients by weight for this batch. Doesn't include liberal amounts of flour for dusting.

quote:

weighted biscuit recipe

300g flour
100g butter
8g baking powder
2g baking soda
220g milk
30g yogurt
10g sugar
6g salt

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

lol at ppl still calling things hipster in 2021

Hey, I’m old. You know how peoples’ brains seem to solidify at a certain age and then they’re immune to new inputs?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

those look great and it's a dece lookin recipe though if you don't mind picking it up i recommend replacing the milk and yogurt entirely with buttermilk. in addition to the acid reacting with the baking soda (which your yogurt does, obviously), the flavour is great.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm in japan and there is no buttermilk to be had

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

I make rusks often (a taste of home from South Africa). I can’t always get buttermilk. Kefir makes a perfect alternative for baking.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

ah. in that case i might consider fermenting the rest of your milk or potentially more yogurt. you could also theoretically get some buttermilk starter cultures but that's perhaps asking a lot? lol

therattle posted:

I make rusks often (a taste of home from South Africa). I can’t always get buttermilk. Kefir makes a perfect alternative for baking.

also a great idea if you have kefirs available (or again, care to make)

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Stringent posted:

Can you get buttermilk powder online? I use that for buttermilk biscuits sometime when I am out of the real stuff. Substitutes very well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

beerinator posted:

Can you get buttermilk powder online? I use that for buttermilk biscuits sometime when I am out of the real stuff. Substitutes very well.

you can definitely order it if someone cares (or god forbid i can acquire some if it's too problematic). this is another good idea and i use it instead of buttermilk in breadmaking since i don't keep the liquid on hand all the time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Simple solution for those who live in japan: just drink coffee milk and eat 711 melon pan. And move on with your life.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I haven’t made biscuits that many times, but my favorite recipe so far has used 100% yogurt for the liquid so I’m definitely an advocate for that approach.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/03/light-and-fluffy-biscuit-recipe.html

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

beerinator posted:

i did and yogurt was better

mediaphage posted:

ah. in that case i might consider fermenting the rest of your milk or potentially more yogurt. you could also theoretically get some buttermilk starter cultures but that's perhaps asking a lot? lol

lol wat, no the biscuits were fine

therattle posted:

i have no idea what this means and i'm afraid to ask

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

Which part of it?

quote:

Kefir or kephir, is a fermented milk drink similar to a thin yogurt or ayran that is made from kefir grains, a specific type of mesophilic symbiotic culture.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

therattle posted:

Which part of it?

mistook kefir for kaffir (sry, don't know better) and didn't know what rusks were. sorted now!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All the old-time recipes I've come across call to replace buttermilk with whole milk+lemon juice+5 or 10 minutes of sitting.

I don't know if it's actually supposed to curdle or what, and every time I've done it I haven't been able to tell a difference in flavor between the pre- and post-sit. But also it just goes into biscuits and tastes just fine so whatever. I don't know that I'd eat a big glass of buttermilk and cornbread with it, though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Huxley posted:

All the old-time recipes I've come across call to replace buttermilk with whole milk+lemon juice+5 or 10 minutes of sitting.

I don't know if it's actually supposed to curdle or what, and every time I've done it I haven't been able to tell a difference in flavor between the pre- and post-sit. But also it just goes into biscuits and tastes just fine so whatever. I don't know that I'd eat a big glass of buttermilk and cornbread with it, though.

I've done lemon juice a lot and yogurt is way better imo. Obviously if you can get buttermilk that should be your go to, but the object is just to add a tart savoriness to the biscuit. You could do lemon juice and fish sauce or msg and it'd prolly be pretty good.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Huxley posted:

Buttermilk you buy in the store is “cultured buttermilk”, so it’s been fermented with bacterial cultures. So yeah, the “add lemon juice to some milk” thing is actually kind of a whole different thing. Give me the cultured stuff, for sure.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

fourwood posted:

Buttermilk you buy in the store is “cultured buttermilk”, so it’s been fermented with bacterial cultures. So yeah, the “add lemon juice to some milk” thing is actually kind of a whole different thing. Give me the cultured stuff, for sure.

Back in the day they used to leave the cream sit for a few days to culture and then churn butter from it. That left over liquid was cultured but also has the fat globule membranes left in it.

Cultured buttermilk is made from non-fat skim milk and so it never had those membranes in it.

I had real buttermilk once. It's good and doesn't taste that much like cultured buttermilk. It's sweeter and lighter.

I assume that you could culture cream at home and then make butter with it and that left over liquid would be close to what they had back in the day. The churning process probably wasn't super efficient compared to processing it in a food processor or with a mixer so it probably left a fair amount of cream and fat in it comparatively.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What kind of yogurt are you talking about. I only buy the highest fat Greek (style) ones because fat is good.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

bolind posted:

Have I mentioned that a single use scalpel is an awesome ghetto bread lamé?

Try a chopstick lame too

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i just use a paring knife, what is the advantage of the curved razor blade

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

i didn’t say the biscuits weren’t fine, don’t get defensive. in fact i explicitly said they looked good?

just that 30g of yogurt isn’t doing much especially for flavour and they’ll taste better with a higher percentage of fermented dairy.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Bakers WILL cut you

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

therattle posted:

Have you got a good recipe? I last ordered Ouma rusks online a while ago, I could make some!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

Have you got a good recipe? I last ordered Ouma rusks online a while ago, I could make some!

Sure! I make mine because Ouma are crap. They taste like cheap vegetable oil. Happily I wrote out a recipe recently for a friend. It’s based in a few that I’ve combined but they are all variations on a theme.

1kg SR flour
170g sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp bicarb
200g melted butter
2 eggs
500ml buttermilk (or milk-based kefir which works as a perfect substitute; proper buttermilk can be hard to obtain)
Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Add wet to dry. Mix. I knead for a few minutes with my kitchen aide dough hook to develop gluten and increase the airiness but not all recipes specify kneading.
Place in a large greased container (maybe line with parchment if not good non-stick). Bake at 170 for about 35 minutes, until golden. Remove from tin and cool. Slice with a sharp bread knife into whatever size rusks you want and bake overnight in a fan oven set to about 50C. (They are quite tasty before the second bake too! Like an enriched bread)
I bought a tin specifically for rusks (we use it for other things too but it's the perfect size) - I'll measure it if you like. it's probably about 35x28cm.

Stringent posted:

mistook kefir for kaffir (sry, don't know better) and didn't know what rusks were. sorted now!

Just because a lot of white South Africans are racist doesn’t mean all are! 😃

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks! I'll try it out. We can get buttermilk at the larger grocery stores I think, so I'll get some next time we get a target order or something!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

Thanks! I'll try it out. We can get buttermilk at the larger grocery stores I think, so I'll get some next time we get a target order or something!

They’re really good! I ensure that I have a pretty constant supply; I love them. My wife has gotten into them too. It makes a big batch and they are actually really straightforward.
Report back if you make them please!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I tried making cinnamon buns today but instead of yeast I thought I’d try my sourdough starter instead. The recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of yeast so I assumed that’s roughly 20 g. Either way I didn’t think the amount actually matters cause it’ll just speed up or slow down the fermentation right?

Anyway, since my starter is 1:1, I added 40 g of starter. Then I subtracted 20 g from the flour and 20 g from the liquid (milk in this case) to get the same amount of flour/liquid.

My starter was doubled in size since last night’s feeding and I didn’t feed it today before using it. Should I have done so?

It’s been 3 hours now and my dough is still sitting there and I don’t think it’s risen at all. When I made this recipe with active dry yeast (it actually calls for instant yeast, but KA says instant and active dry can be used interchangeably at this point) my dough was risen around 2 hours in this same temperature.

What did I do wrong? Did I not use enough starter when replacing the yeast?

E: Also the dough was noticeably more wet and sticky than the other two times I made this with yeast.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it's possible that the variety of microbes you have working in your starter is much less osmotolerant than commercial yeast. that is, they won't do nearly as well with enriched doughs. if it's not working out, you can always bloom a little least (i would still bloom even instant since you're working to incorporate it into a premade dough) and knead it back into your dough for leavening.

as to it being sticky, that's not too surprising. a lot of people think of starters as just a source of leavening biologics but there's a lot of enzymes like amylases and proteases produced by the microbes that will do other sorts of digestion on the structure of your doughs.