Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Animation is also expensive. What's more likely is that they'll keep making live action shows anyways and ignore the human cost as much as possible by producing them with relative unknowns and non-union labor so they can't organize for better conditions. :ssh:

I wouldn't put money on them canning them Simpsons any time soon tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Gumbly is a loving tulpa I hope people are careful or it will rewrite reality.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I really really feel like the Simpsons animation isn’t that expensive anymore, and they still make ungodly amounts of money, far more than costs could ever reach, so who cares

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
No idea what Gumbly is so I'm on the ball as always.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Modern Simpsons animation looks cheap as hell and it's always pointed out by posters who have a better eye that lighting and perspective are always really bad. The most expensive thing is the voice actors. I remember a couple years ago some anime voice actors in Japan learned how much the Simpsons VAs were getting paid and were shocked, because anime VAs get paid a pittiance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

No idea what Gumbly is so I'm on the ball as always.

I was gonna repost the Twitter but it was deleted, but apparently Know Your Meme says Gumbly was created on 4chan.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gumbly

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Anyone ever see the lost "Dead Gumbly" episode?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

That one hosed me up as a kid

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

It helped explain 9/11 to my young impressionable mind and I’ll always be grateful

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Only the real fans remember the episode where Gumbly changed his name to "Roy" and basically became the show's answer to the void they had by not having a Bud Bundy of their own.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Every time I see somebody trip and fall down I automatically hear Gumbly's catchphrase, "HWUH!" in my head.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah and there is no way in hell they'd ever air it again with that B-plot

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

that line makes it feel as though they're trying to be self-aware, that they know they're doing a hacky joke, but the whole bit is overwritten. "we're all going to be rich!" doesn't make any sense and isn't funny.

just have the visual gag and then at the end have that guy who says "awwwww" in the Droopy voice say "awwwww" in the Droopy voice. or have the roller coaster explode for no reason after it stops.

Thing about early 2000s Simpsons, at least from the episodes I've rewatched is that they're very much of their time. I'm remembering the type of indignant "get it?" humor was huge at the time, along with edgy X-treme crap. I have never watched through all of the teens seasons but I assume at some point there was a shift away from this to the actual Zombie Simpsons that people think of these days.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
https://i.imgur.com/PAgUX4k.png

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Uh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I want to say this whatever the gently caress this post is must be the lowest point of everyone involved's lives, but I know that can't be true.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I want to say this whatever the gently caress this post is must be the lowest point of everyone involved's lives, but I know that can't be true.

"Uhh oh, it's that panda that raped me in season 12! And here I am, eating my own feces! Just bending over with my face in my own feces and my butt in the air! Save me, Jeebus!"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The reddit accounts with "GPT" in the username are algorithms generated from subreddits. That algorithm read a bunch of Simpsons subreddits and was able to generate that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Homer's Spaghetti

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The reddit accounts with "GPT" in the username are algorithms generated from subreddits. That algorithm read a bunch of Simpsons subreddits and was able to generate that.

SweetMercifulCrap

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/simpsonsart_/status/1358119368824147968?s=21
this seems like a lot of work. they should just do it on the computer

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/mr_schofield/status/1359172726905274371?s=21

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
So I'm a pretty big nerd and old enough to have used DOS but i still don't get the RUN/DOS/RUN joke in the Lisa Joins Mensa episode

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Icochet posted:

So I'm a pretty big nerd and old enough to have used DOS but i still don't get the RUN/DOS/RUN joke in the Lisa Joins Mensa episode

It's a play on the nursery rhyme See Spot run

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

No idea what that is but thank you. I was afraid i didn't know my obsolete operating systems

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
They're old young reader books in the US that were very well known & probably still exist. Simple sentences for kids. See Jane hop! Jane hops fast! kind of stuff.

There's a good old photoshop from like 2004-2005 where goons made them R rated

So "See spot run" and "C:\DOS\RUN"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hakkesshu posted:

Icochet posted:

No idea what that is but thank you. I was afraid i didn't know my obsolete operating systems

this sequence of posts has aged me 20 years

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

this sequence of posts has aged me 20 years

In fairness I only know it through the Simpsons too. I'm pretty sure I'm the right age for it, just the wrong country.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The R-D-R-R joke isn't funny but that might be part of the gag.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The R-D-R-R joke isn't funny but that might be part of the gag.

It is a joke for children.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It doesn't make any sense and it drives me crazy. That is not a notation anyone would ever use, nobody would ever take a derivative and write it out like that at any point in history or for any reason

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Its season one, leave them alone

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.

Data Graham posted:

It doesn't make any sense and it drives me crazy. That is not a notation anyone would ever use, nobody would ever take a derivative and write it out like that at any point in history or for any reason

Not even for the purpose of making a joke?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sure, if that were how jokes worked

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
The joke is supposed to be bad, holy poo poo how could anyone not get that? At least this is helping explain how some people don't like season 1.

Let me help here - Bart is a mid-wit fuckup and it is perfectly normal for him to not get this bad egghead joke. The idea that "being a mid-wit fuckup is normal, actually" is the whole idea behind season 1 and the show in general. This was incredibly subversive at the time, and is a big part of what made it so great.

There, now it's explained and thereby ruined.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Data Graham posted:

Sure, if that were how jokes worked

you don't seem like an expert on knowing how jokes work

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Calico Heart posted:

you don't seem like an expert on knowing how jokes work

neither were the writers of the simpsons in season 1

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Apparently Hardy Har Har is an actual phrase somewhere but I've never heard it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

OneTruePecos posted:

The joke is supposed to be bad, holy poo poo how could anyone not get that? At least this is helping explain how some people don't like season 1.

Let me help here - Bart is a mid-wit fuckup and it is perfectly normal for him to not get this bad egghead joke. The idea that "being a mid-wit fuckup is normal, actually" is the whole idea behind season 1 and the show in general. This was incredibly subversive at the time, and is a big part of what made it so great.

There, now it's explained and thereby ruined.

Yeah, I thought I was misremembering or something when people itt were complaining about the RDRR thhing being a bad joke. That was the point. I even went back and watched the episode and yeah, the main joke is that the RDRR thing a nerd joke that Bart doesn't get. Similar to the ones earlier where the kids tease him by offering him things with obscure units of measurement .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My point is that nobody would "get" R-D-R-R, even the genius kids, because there is no mathematical reason for them to write out a derivative like that. That is not a notation anyone uses. You don't take R2dR and split out the squared R's and put them on opposite ends of the expression. You can, but it's just confusing and weird, and not something you do as a matter of course. You'd want to simplify it back to the way it was before. It's like if the teacher said "Calculate the speed of the train" and they all somehow concluded that she wanted them to write "40 mph plus 24 mph and a bit" and then all laugh because that sentence translates to an insult against your mother in Russian. It's possible to write it like that but nobody in their right mind ever would

The joke writers contrived it backwards for the sake of the joke, and it's funny if you don't know math I guess

Or am I the one super missing something