Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hyperlynx posted:

Which events? The Hunchback of Notre-Dame was a novel, not a memoir.

A few dozen coronations, a handful of wars, Napoleon doing Napoleonic things, numerous architectural changes, the history of the glasswork/statues/iconography is neat, hell it played a role in recognizing the long-term effects of air pollution. While adding a crypt under the floor they found Roman works. There's a TON of interesting stuff in that 800 years. Looking at it with zero context is a great way to miss the history behind just about anything. If it's not what you're into, that's cool (I don't think I'd even GO to Paris). But "It looks like all the things that were designed to look like it" is worthy of a little light ribbing.

I'm surprised nobody IDed it, but that green field pic was the high water mark for Pickett's Charge. Just a boring rear end spot unless you cared enough to look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hyperlynx posted:

This is quite likely too, though. What am I missing?

The fact that pretty much everything you said was wrong. Among its contemporaries, it is particularly large and does have interesting architectural quirks.

Saying Notre Dame de Paris isn't a big deal and is like every other cathedral in Europe is like arguing the Wright Flyer wasn't that big a deal because it only flew 100 feet, Orville and Wilbur were too stupid to buy a Cessna.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LordSaturn posted:

hey, dumb civilian question: I have a basic idea of what "high speed, low drag" implies from reading this thread, but I'd appreciate it if someone really spelled out what the origin of it is, or even any specific definition beyond "dumb rear end in a top hat thinks he's super badass"

"High speed, low drag" means a dearth of poo poo/things/people weighing you down, be it physically, emotionally, procedurally, or even with regards to unit structure. In other words, "something that works the way it's supposed to." It started with Special Forces and just kinda filtered into the vernacular. I think the first time boots encounter it is after they get their induction haircut.

This'd be an example of "low speed, high drag" (which refers to a dipshit or something that just doesn't work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxzfqce0jqY

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 5, 2021

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Wasabi the J posted:

This is the correct way to see any City.

loving people too loving in a rush to hit all the spots and wait in line and pay too much.

Just buy good food and walk around with no goals. Let the city surprise you. The only schedule activity I fully recommend is a full bicycle tour of the city; usually it gives a great sense of scale, the guides are usually pretty cool and you can mentally mark stuff you wanna go check out later.

Done this for Austin, Seattle, Philadelphia, Portland, and Vancouver (we like the NW), and it is honestly kind of a tradition now. Even in towns I've lived in, bike tours show some cool stuff that I never went to go look at before.

I took a bicycle tour of the muslim ghettos of Delhi, and it was loving brilliant. Well organized, informative, gritty, and getting an extra couple feet of personal space and elevation off the streets was really nice.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"High speed, low drag" means a dearth of poo poo/things/people weighing you down, be it physically, emotionally, procedurally, or even with regards to unit structure. In other words, "something that works the way it's supposed to." It started with Special Forces and just kinda filtered into the vernacular. I think the first time boots encounter it is after they get their induction haircut.

This'd be an example of "low speed, high drag" (which refers to a dipshit or something that just doesn't work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxzfqce0jqY

Years and years ago, it meant the dude was strac- he was professional and didn't gently caress around with anything that wasn't his job, or making himself more proficient. As it came into common vernacular, it became the go to insult for those whose suffer from a genetic predilection to stupidity and enthusiasm.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm grateful that I got to see the term "soup sandwich" used earnestly by NCOs to describe something that's ate up, morph over my time in to being used sarcastically about the kind of people that would use it earnestly. I hope it's either still that way or it went totally extinct

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

E: yeah, ok. Fair enough, I'm the idiot.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 5, 2021

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I've been to Paris twice, if I had to pick I'd say the Louvre and Versailles were my favorite places. Plus just riding a double decker bus around town for a few hours looking at all the sights. And one evening my wife and I went to a chamber music concert in a small church and it was amazing.

We didn't get hit by the bracelet scam but we did get someone try to do the same thing, unsuccessfully, with a ring while walking through the Tuileries Garden.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LordSaturn posted:

hey, dumb civilian question: I have a basic idea of what "high speed, low drag" implies from reading this thread, but I'd appreciate it if someone really spelled out what the origin of it is, or even any specific definition beyond "dumb rear end in a top hat thinks he's super badass"

its because ever cool dude operator wants to imagine they are actually a cool fighter pilot.

but they aren't.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I always assumed it came from paratrooper parlance since SF has always included the use of airborne tactics, especially stuff like HALO jumps.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

even if you ain't catholic i highly recommend going to mass in a french cathedral even just once. a full candlelight mass in a massive, ancient cathedral sung/spoken in latin is very eerie.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

even if you ain't catholic i highly recommend going to mass in a french cathedral even just once. a full candlelight mass in a massive, ancient cathedral sung/spoken in latin is very eerie.

I tried this at Notre Dame when I was in Paris many years ago. I got up extra early for morning mass but when I got there it was packed with tourists who were talking and taking flash photos. Sort of ruined it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

I tried this at Notre Dame when I was in Paris many years ago. I got up extra early for morning mass but when I got there it was packed with tourists who were talking and taking flash photos. Sort of ruined it.

ugh gross. i got to do it at chartres and it's stuck with me for a very long time.
totally ruined north american churches for me too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

North Americans ruined north american churches for me.

Parisian cathedrals are pretty lit though. Montreal has a couple good ones too.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Godholio posted:

A few dozen coronations, a handful of wars, Napoleon doing Napoleonic things, numerous architectural changes, the history of the glasswork/statues/iconography is neat, hell it played a role in recognizing the long-term effects of air pollution. While adding a crypt under the floor they found Roman works. There's a TON of interesting stuff in that 800 years. Looking at it with zero context is a great way to miss the history behind just about anything. If it's not what you're into, that's cool (I don't think I'd even GO to Paris). But "It looks like all the things that were designed to look like it" is worthy of a little light ribbing.

Talking about context and cathedrals, the best example I can think of is the cathedral in Geneva. It's a Protestant church that took over a Catholic cathedral that was built over a monastary and small church that was built on top of a Roman temple that was built over a burial mound of a Bronze Age tribal chief. Every culture coming in had to mark their territory by taking over the high-water marks of the culture before them. They have an excavation under the cathedral that you can walk into, and it literally spirals down through all of these layers until you get to the actual skeleton of the ancient chieftan. I've been a lot of old places but I don't think I've ever before felt so close to the flow of history standing there looking at the bones of somebody who died 5,000 years ago and whose death and burial may directly have led to the founding of a major modern city.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

yup, the layers of history are so cool to peel back, like when you realize that the stones you're walking on aren't uneven, they're worn down by centuries of people walking the same path you are right now

also going to the dutch churches and finding a bunch of my ancestor's bones buried in the floor was loving neato. haarlem is a beautiful little town.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

POV?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bosozoku falls under the awesome idiocy exception

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a Car Guy Doin Car Stuff genre name for whatever this is because it's the greatest thing I've ever seen in person

Someone in AI actually knew the guy when I posted it there a few years ago, it's a full body swap onto a 4runner chassis but my god the hubcaps and broken door handle are absolutely :discourse:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

boy that sure does look like a lot of rust down there.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

We know who is peeing in a cup bright and early in the morning.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shame on an IGA posted:

Is there a Car Guy Doin Car Stuff genre name for whatever this is because it's the greatest thing I've ever seen in person

Someone in AI actually knew the guy when I posted it there a few years ago, it's a full body swap onto a 4runner chassis but my god the hubcaps and broken door handle are absolutely :discourse:

I would 100% drive this proudly but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to buy it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/europe/nato-chief-suggests-battle-tanks-with-solar-panels-as-militaries-go-green-1.1160313

quote:

Nato should examine how it can power tanks and jets with alternative energy, such as solar panels, to reduce its carbon emissions, the alliance’s secretary general said.
Mr Stoltenberg said putting solar panels on tanks would be good for the environment and would also increase the resilience of troops on military operations.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 6, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Let's face it, selling the Pentagon store-bought solar panels you then soaked in CARC, reducing their efficiency by 98% for low observability at 95 grand a pop is the dream

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
POV: you're lost on a military base

https://i.imgur.com/y2aBcNG.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That is the realest poo poo right there. Saved under "what the army is like day to day".

My co driver shot this motherfucker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Q4qs2Ljyc
While we chased cadre up a state park (?) that civilians were mudding on on our way to land nav course.

Snow melted made huge mid and water craters and I had to do two runs to get the whole platoon up the hill to the starting point though tore up trails like that because the airport shuttle bus we brought them in wouldn't make it, so I was hauling rear end on the empty trips to make time.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

we've all had a day like that on the back 40, lost as poo poo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Wasabi the J posted:

That is the realest poo poo right there. Saved under "what the army is like day to day".

My co driver shot this motherfucker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Q4qs2Ljyc
While we chased cadre up a state park (?) that civilians were mudding on on our way to land nav course.

Snow melted made huge mid and water craters and I had to do two runs to get the whole platoon up the hill to the starting point though tore up trails like that because the airport shuttle bus we brought them in wouldn't make it, so I was hauling rear end on the empty trips to make time.

My back and knees hurt watching that

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Whilst the idea itself is easy to dismiss as dumb greenwashing, there are things that logistically do make sense here. My old unit is literally in Korea right now running their turbines few hours a day just to ensure the batteries won’t lose charge. Not only is that bad for the environment, but given that a $500k tank turbine only has a service life of four-figure hours and Korean winter can last a good amount of months, having infrastructure built to house and charge these vehicles instead of just placing them on near rows in the motor pool does make a hell of a difference. Some armies *coughfinland* actually have awnings and tank bays built on tank motor pools for this exact reason. These facilities could be provided energy with sustainable means.

The “oh batteries froze” gets even better when you realize that a tank that won’t start gets recharged by- you guessed it- another tank spending hours hooked up to the dead tank with cables, high idling it’s turbine.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fun Fact- the DoD is exempt from all environmental and emissions requirements. Some independent research groups that study believe that DoD alone, without the rest of America, are among the top 5 World polluters. One study said the DoD was probably the third largest source of carbon emissions.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Valtonen posted:

Whilst the idea itself is easy to dismiss as dumb greenwashing, there are things that logistically do make sense here. My old unit is literally in Korea right now running their turbines few hours a day just to ensure the batteries won’t lose charge. Not only is that bad for the environment, but given that a $500k tank turbine only has a service life of four-figure hours and Korean winter can last a good amount of months, having infrastructure built to house and charge these vehicles instead of just placing them on near rows in the motor pool does make a hell of a difference. Some armies *coughfinland* actually have awnings and tank bays built on tank motor pools for this exact reason. These facilities could be provided energy with sustainable means.

The “oh batteries froze” gets even better when you realize that a tank that won’t start gets recharged by- you guessed it- another tank spending hours hooked up to the dead tank with cables, high idling it’s turbine.

I sure am glad someone on this forum is brave enough to defend the military industrial complex

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Valtonen posted:

that's an interesting post, so I'm gonna ask a dumb question: why can't those batteries just be plugged into something / have a charger run to them to keep them charged instead of running the engine?

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Valtonen posted:

Jesus gently caress this is some "Germans in Russian winter" poo poo.If they didn't run their tanks every few hours said tanks would freeze. And if lovely units didn't run them at all mice would chew on cables and wires, ensuring the tanks would not run when needed. Like, you know, when the winter adapted Soviets attacked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Valtonen posted:

It doesn't sound like that's what he's talking about, but you're definitely onto something there. I don't know about the other services, but the AF uses quite a bit of solar already.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I sure am glad someone on this forum is brave enough to defend the military industrial complex

:chloe:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The issue is that here on the ground you’re lucky to get a few hundred watts per square meter from a solar panel that isn’t covered with mud or sand or trees or camo netting and that’s about gently caress-all compared to the power a tank needs to do anything.

Like carbon-neutral fuels and all is fine but the notion that putting solar panels on a tank would do anything but enrich the factories in China that make solar panels is ridiculous.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

“Nato should do its part to look into how we can reduce emissions from military operations,” he told the Chatham House event. “We know that heavy battle tanks or fighter jets and naval ships consume a lot of fossil fuel and emit greenhouse gases and therefore we have to look into how we can reduce those emissions by alternative fuels, solar panels or other ways of running our missions.”
The reporter took this and summarised it as "putting solar panels on tanks"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

pmchem posted:

that's an interesting post, so I'm gonna ask a dumb question: why can't those batteries just be plugged into something / have a charger run to them to keep them charged instead of running the engine?

oooh drag a submarine on land or give it wheels to be the battery for the tanks..... even better remove the guns and replace them with lasers. make drones to shuttle back and forth battery packs instead of having a wire attached to the batter-marine.

this 2400 to 0800 is really starting to affect me.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.chathamhouse.org/events/all/members-event/new-ideas-nato-2030

It's this, right? Probably more useful to actually listen to the talk than to read some dumb journo's take on it, tbh.

Godholio posted:

It doesn't sound like that's what he's talking about, but you're definitely onto something there. I don't know about the other services, but the AF uses quite a bit of solar already.

Seems silly to not use solar when you're already off-grid? :v:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Hey party people,

I've been trying to educate myself about these Q things and these trump things. Please someone punch me in the mouth. There are stupid people on the march and I hope I am not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I have been there and done that and I want to challenge all of these experts. Motherfucker I have something for you. God damnit why are people so stupid? What in the hell is going on?

Sorry folks, bit of a rant.