Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

LingcodKilla posted:

I can vouch for him I’ve been buying coins for the last 4 years exclusively from him. He specializes in low value common coins mostly of bronze. He does all the research and providence. Typically he gets them from group auction. He will offer up the random expensive silver coin but I don’t think I’ve seen anything go for more than a hundred bucks. Most things I buy are usually from the 5-20 range.

As a eurogoon this is an exercise in frustration though, as they go up in the middle of the night for us and any interesting coin has been scooped up by morning..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr Havafap posted:

As a eurogoon this is an exercise in frustration though, as they go up in the middle of the night for us and any interesting coin has been scooped up by morning..

I know your pain. I’m currently on orders in the Med.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
man i'd pay 10 quid for a real roman coin, that would be super neat

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Roman civil wars 1st century to 3rd century AD explained:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

CoolCab posted:

man i'd pay 10 quid for a real roman coin, that would be super neat

Look up Xenopus's ancient coins thread in SA-Mart:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

When I was about 14 I went with my familiy to Britain and in the Roman museum in York I bought some coins for a very small amount of money, they were in pretty poor condition and not very legible but very much authentic. Well guess what, I've lost them and now I have no idea where they are. Probably somewhere in my parents' house but still, weird how careless you get with real, almost 2000 year old Roman coins when they're cheap and plentiful.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grevling posted:

When I was about 14 I went with my familiy to Britain and in the Roman museum in York I bought some coins for a very small amount of money, they were in pretty poor condition and not very legible but very much authentic. Well guess what, I've lost them and now I have no idea where they are. Probably somewhere in my parents' house but still, weird how careless you get with real, almost 2000 year old Roman coins when they're cheap and plentiful.

A future archeologist excavating your home will be very confused.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deteriorata posted:

A future archeologist excavating your home will be very confused.

No, they won't.

"Ritual purposes". :agesilaus:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
"Ugh, these assholes were always curating poo poo"

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for all the coin tips! The thread looks ideal. Online it seems like vcoins might be simplest?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Zopotantor posted:

Look up Xenopus's ancient coins thread in SA-Mart:

Thanks!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Grevling posted:

If it makes you feel any better there was at least one other person who was equally careless.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If it makes you feel any better there was at least one other person who was equally careless.

The Roman who lost the coins in the first place?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Since the money is useless as currency now I do feel better than that DEAD IDIOT.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I buy coins from a norwegian store:

(Elagabalus)

(Hadrian)

(A celtic coin)

(Nero)

(Vespasian)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are coins with Julius Caesar way more expensive than others because he's the most famous emperor?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chamale posted:

Are coins with Julius Caesar way more expensive than others because he's the most famous emperor?

:thunk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chamale posted:

Fame of the person generally increases the price, yeah. Also rarity, Caesar wasn't in power for that long. Augustus is also top level famous, but they were making Augustus coins for 40 years so you find more of them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah, most expensive would probably be one of those dinks who was emperor for like two months.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My very good condition silver Trajan denarius was about a hundred bux, for a point of reference.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

sebzilla posted:

Yeah, most expensive would probably be one of those dinks who was emperor for like two months.

Yeah I have been looking at emperor Gordian coins as a gift for my dad (who is named Gordon), and Gordian I and II coins, who jointly ruled for 21 days will cost you hundreds of dollars, whereas Gordian III coins, can be had for less then 50 dollars. Gordian III ruled for six years, soon after Gordian I and II. My initial plan was to try to get one of each, but a Gordian I and II coin will cost an absurd amount.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Alhazred posted:

(Elagabalus)

(Hadrian)

(A celtic coin)

(Nero)

(Vespasian)

Whats the store?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
How much are the awesome Bactrian or Indo-Greek ones? Those are the only ancient coins I think I'd like to have but something tells me they are not cheap.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Alhazred posted:

be careful, norwegians are notorious for looting - you might be funding the plunder of english monasteries without realising it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FishFood posted:

How much are the awesome Bactrian or Indo-Greek ones? Those are the only ancient coins I think I'd like to have but something tells me they are not cheap.

So many have been looted in Afghanistan they're often sold by weight instead of number. I have no idea how you'd get any that aren't looted.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Grand Fromage posted:

So many have been looted in Afghanistan they're often sold by weight instead of number. I have no idea how you'd get any that aren't looted.

Yeah, and I don't think there has been any active archaeological work done there for decades. The Greco-Bactrians are my favorite successor state, with their cool cultural synthesis and amazing art and I wish we could learn more from Ai-Khanoum.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Alhazred posted:

Is the Vespasian coin scratch-and-sniff?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Whats the store?

Naturens Mangfold.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

has there ecer been a time in roman history when a general rebelled but his troops stayed loyal?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PawParole posted:

has there ecer been a time in roman history when a general rebelled but his troops stayed loyal?

If you don't have any troops I don't think you count as a general anymore.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rockopolis posted:

Is the Vespasian coin scratch-and-sniff?

I would like to know if you have any pics of Vespasian collecting a urine tax while looking embarrassed haha just for laughs.

(More seriously, I feel that Vespasian has the most consistent representation on coins and statues - that coin portrait looks just like the busts I've seen.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PawParole posted:

If it happened it probably didn't get recorded because the general was probably strung up by his own troops quite quickly.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PawParole posted:

AFAIK there were several people who declared themselves Emperor, and shortly thereafter, their Legion killed them. There might have been a lost battle or two along the way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if you want to stay loyal but your legions decide you are Emperor now

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This was a familiar concept to Romans: it was often considered good politics to be like, “well it’s not like I was trying to become emperor or anything, but the army demands it, so what can I do?” It portrays you as a devoted servant of the state and not a megalomaniac tyrant, but also carries the implicit threat that this guy has the troops’ backing and they won’t be put aside.

How often it actually happened rather than just being spin is another question. It’s difficult to imagine what chain of events could lead to a commander being elevated to the purple by his army without him at least seeing that it was coming.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could be declared imperator by the troops And still not he be “the emperor” . The imperator title was just one of the bundle of titles that made up that position

There was wiggle room

Irrc

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I know that happened at least once, the general was also old so made his son co emperor until the real emperor put down the rebellion. Unfortunately I dont remember their names.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Communist Zombie posted:

I know that happened at least once, the general was also old so made his son co emperor until the real emperor put down the rebellion. Unfortunately I dont remember their names.

those would be the gordians. i wouldn't necessarily call maximinus thrax the real emperor either since he murdered alexander severus and declared himself emperor, and was eventually killed by his own troops as they defected back to the senatorial side of the conflict.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

https://news.uaf.edu/blue-beads-in-the-tundra/

I`m thinkin bout those Beads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016