Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

The criteria for the vaccination groups in Australia have been made public. I'm in group 2 which means I will receive the Pfizer vaccine. Not sure how I feel about that as I've always assumed I'd be in one of the lower priority groups and receive the AZ vaccine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-05/when-will-you-get-the-covid-19-vaccine/13112610

LOL I'm group 4

quote:

There are 13.387 million people set to be offered a vaccination ahead of you and 6.643 million are in the same priority group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's a bizarre piece of tribalism that Red/Blue partisanship really correlates to covid-denial/mask wearing. I'm in a progressive urban area and mask usage is about 100%, and I have rarely seen chuddery about it. 70 miles south of me and it is apparently the opposite, with masks rare and Republicans trying to make lists of people who complain about businesses violating pandemic rules.

Trump turned out to be like the Pied Piper for Qovidiocy.

Trump was the one at the forefront of discrediting mask use and spreading tons of covid misinfo so that's what we got. :shrug:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

frogge posted:

Trump was the one at the forefront of discrediting mask use and spreading tons of covid misinfo so that's what we got. :shrug:

Imagine how many lives he could have saved if he saw it as a merchandising opportunity and immediately started selling Trump branded masks. As it is, I'm wondering if someone was offering him a bounty for every thousand covid deaths under his watch.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 4, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bradzilla posted:

this gif never fails to be relevant

I don't know how many times I've posted that gif.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Akuma posted:

At what point do we stop worrying so much about it and just take the chance on getting sick, though? When everybody that wants to be is vaccinated? That's what I struggle with, because there's obviously tons of other poo poo out there that can make you ill that we generally don't worry so much about because most people are inoculated or are just quite rare. It's tricky. I don't see myself getting the vaccine for a while - certainly not by the summer, and not because I don't want it, just because I won't be able to get it because I'm in one of the lowest risk groups. Hmm.

Given there's obviously a fair degree of panic amongst advisors about more resistant mutations going rampant before a booster shot can be rolled out, the opening up at least in the UK is going to be very slow anyway. It'll be Schools in March, maybe shops + you can see 1 other household in April, and after May it will look like last year - masks, distancing, drink outside in limited groups etc until everyone's had it.

I can't see them taking restrictions of completely before August. Even in summer that might push the R over 1, and they're absolutely loving terrified of a rouge mutation completely nullifying the vaccines and putting us all back in lockdown.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Genomic testing results are back for the Victorian security guard and they confirm that he has contracted the UK strain, confirming that strain can be spread through aerosol transmission.

Time to rethink hotel quarantine and at least equip all staff with proper PPE instead of surgical masks.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

We die together, brother.
Though if I gain another 14 kg I'm suddenly severely obese and jump up to group 2, which nets me the Pfizer jab... :thunk:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Nam Taf posted:

We die together, brother.
Though if I gain another 14 kg I'm suddenly severely obese and jump up to group 2, which nets me the Pfizer jab... :thunk:

I'm just hoping that by the time April rolls around they have decided to give the Pfizer jabs further apart than 3 weeks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lolie posted:

I'm just hoping that by the time April rolls around they have decided to give the Pfizer jabs further apart than 3 weeks.

Why?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

It will be the period when flu vaccine is being rolled out and the expert advice to date is that there should be a gap of at least a couple of weeks between receiving the covid jab and the flu vaccine. Delaying flu immunisation would not be a good idea, especially if people are going to start being less cautious about covid exposure following their Pfizer jabs.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

ponzicar posted:

Imagine how many lives he could have saved if he saw it as a merchandising opportunity and immediately started selling Trump branded masks. As it is, I'm wondering if someone was offering him a bounty for every thousand covid deaths under his watch.

Massive missed opportunity. Could have made a shitload of cash.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case but I don't know about it being his Russian overlord telling him to gently caress up and kill people as much other factors. He's incredibly spiteful and one of those psychos that has to be the smartest person in the room and it is plausible that what he did was out of spite against the actual smart people in the room advising him against whatever he suggested. I couldn't tell you which is worse, being a dangerous puppet or dangerously deranged- either way the result was the same.

Edit: at the very least thank God he's no longer in power.

frogge fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 5, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Canada's vaccine roll out has been nothing but a loving disaster, nobody knows what's going on, and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get one until next year at this rate.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Picnic Princess posted:

Canada's vaccine roll out has been nothing but a loving disaster, nobody knows what's going on, and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get one until next year at this rate.

We're due to start rolling out Pfizer in a few weeks and the logistics are incredibly complicated. I hope we can rise to the challenge.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Lolie posted:

Genomic testing results are back for the Victorian security guard and they confirm that he has contracted the UK strain, confirming that strain can be spread through aerosol transmission.

Time to rethink hotel quarantine and at least equip all staff with proper PPE instead of surgical masks.

With a room full of 5 superspreaders and no real air exchange this is shocking it didnt happen with wildtype

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The investigation into the quarantine hotel UK strain infection in Queensland Australia failed to determine exactly how the virus spread, but they think it's likely that it was "indirect contact" and "the cleaner contracted the strain from a surface"

Fomite transmission is back, baby! Start washing your groceries again!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-05/coronavirus-qld-brisbane-hotel-chancellor-quarantine-report/13121414

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 5, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The investigation into the quarantine hotel UK strain infection in Queensland Australia failed to determine exactly how the virus spread, but they think it's likely that it was "indirect contact" and "the cleaner contracted the strain from a surface"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-05/coronavirus-qld-brisbane-hotel-chancellor-quarantine-report/13121414

Never stopped sanitizing groceries, still feeling good about that decision considering we keep seeing this happen. I do wonder how the increased transmissibility of the mutations affects fomite transmission, too.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kestral posted:

Never stopped sanitizing groceries, still feeling good about that decision considering we keep seeing this happen. I do wonder how the increased transmissibility of the mutations affects fomite transmission, too.

Same. We have a decent routine down for this as well. I might be too cautious, but I'd rather be that than regret later.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Picnic Princess posted:

next year? are you the queen or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cash crab posted:

What tool is this from?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

The criteria for the vaccination groups in Australia have been made public. I'm in group 2 which means I will receive the Pfizer vaccine. Not sure how I feel about that as I've always assumed I'd be in one of the lower priority groups and receive the AZ vaccine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-05/when-will-you-get-the-covid-19-vaccine/13112610

Note that it might take sliiiightly longer if you live in Tasmania because they're not in any rush at all

quote:

Peter Gutwein says COVID vaccine rollout will begin in Tasmania later this month

Mr Gutwein said the state will receive 2,340 doses of the Pfizer vaccine each week for the first three weeks of the rollout.

The number will then increase to 4,680 in the fourth week.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-05/coronavirus-australia-live-news-covid19-national-cabinet/13122610

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Platystemon posted:

What tool is this from?

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-ca

It's specifically for Canada, and you can't choose "Canada's government plan", you have to choose the weekly average from the last week.

e: If I put in my dad's data, the latest is 2024 for a 75 year old man (I doubt he'll even be around then), and my sister in law, a nurse, gets the same result.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I just put my info in as a 30 year old in none of the higher risk categories and it says Sept 2021 to April 2022?

E: that was going off of 'canadian government plan' not the last 7 days average. So I guess it assumes vaccine rollout will never speed up which seems kinda pessimistic. I could have sworn I read an article about Ontario alone administering over 10,000 doses in one day not that long ago, 50k a week in all of Canada seems low to me

LonesomeCrowdedWest fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 5, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

cash crab posted:

LMAO beautiful, I'm feeling so hopeful for the future right now :toot:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

cash crab posted:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-ca

It's specifically for Canada, and you can't choose "Canada's government plan", you have to choose the weekly average from the last week.

e: If I put in my dad's data, the latest is 2024 for a 75 year old man (I doubt he'll even be around then), and my sister in law, a nurse, gets the same result.

I got "😶 The vaccination rate is so low, you probably won't live long enough to get it."

(I custom entered "100 vaccinated per week," which might be a bit low.)

Seriously though, they seem to have fixed this. I was able to choose "Canada's government plan" and entered myself in as an 18 year old with no health conditions. My estimate was between September 2021 and April 2022.

I do appreciate the mouthless smiley they gave me though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have no mouth/vaccine and I must scream.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Castaign posted:

I got "😶 The vaccination rate is so low, you probably won't live long enough to get it."

(I custom entered "100 vaccinated per week," which might be a bit low.)

Seriously though, they seem to have fixed this. I was able to choose "Canada's government plan" and entered myself in as an 18 year old with no health conditions. My estimate was between September 2021 and April 2022.

I do appreciate the mouthless smiley they gave me though.

The joke is that the government's plan was dependent on getting shipments from Moderna and Pfizer. Both companies have delivered a fraction of what we ordered initially, and we're drawing on a global vaccine supply sharing scheme reserved for impoverished countries.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Fomite spread always seems like an excuse to not admit it's airborne

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Oh, I should also point out that under their initial optimistic estimates, an 18 year old should have been able to get it in the fall, when government assistance runs out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fomite transmission never really went away, case studies periodically pop up that are like "this seems like fomite transmission but the proof is flimsy because of the nature of fomites". It's easier to just assume that asymptomatic spread occurred than to actually perform the necessary forensic work to prove that a case was due to fomites.

Like China suddenly banned frozen seafood shipments from a specific importer last summer because they believed that a local outbreak originated from imported fish. Did fomites for sure cause this outbreak? There's no way to be certain; various surfaces and the knife that the basically Patient Zero was using all tested positive, but it's always possible that he could have gotten it somewhere else from an asymptomatic person. They also began more frequently testing imports and kept finding positive-testing surfaces, so they keep embargoing certain importers on that basis.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuarkJets posted:

Fomite transmission never really went away, case studies periodically pop up that are like "this seems like fomite transmission but the proof is flimsy because of the nature of fomites". It's easier to just assume that asymptomatic spread occurred than to actually perform the necessary forensic work to prove that a case was due to fomites.

Yeah the danger of surface spread was always a factor but the probability of that happening always felt much much lower than droplet spread (especially if people washed their hands before they had a chance to smush the fomites all over their face holes) but I guess the higher rate of transmission on these new mutant strains might have drastically increased the likelihood of fomite transmission as well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm curious what New Zealand's vax plan is since they are doing so well

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Alan Smithee posted:

I hope it's a Brazilian Wax plan.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I hope it's a Brazilian Wax plan.

I'm trying to imagine how that would be pronounced with a Kiwi accent but I'm struggling with it. "Bruzullian wex plen, bro"????

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
With pfizer upping their doses to the US, JnJ due to be approved in about 2 weeks, Astrazenaca approved in March and Novavax maybe May we should have a lot of vaccines available for anyone who wants them by June or so. There's about 270M adults in the US and about 25 to 30% don't want the vaccine anyway.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Alan Smithee posted:

New Zealand only just approved the Pfizer vaccine and is due to start rolling out at the end of March.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nm

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I'm trying to imagine how that would be pronounced with a Kiwi accent but I'm struggling with it. "Bruzullian wex plen, bro"????

Oh yeah, roll your tongue on it.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
It's kind of amusing that there was such a massive push against SARS-CoV-2 being labelled in a manner which connected it with Wuhan but the media is generally referring to the variants by the location in which they were first detected.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lolie posted:

It's kind of amusing that there was such a massive push against SARS-CoV-2 being labelled in a manner which connected it with Wuhan but the media is generally referring to the variants by the location in which they were first detected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A friend of mine thinks he had Covid last month, because he was bedridden sick for a week and then got better. I don't think that's how it works...

No idea if he lost any taste or smell, because he smokes like a chimney and probably can't tell anyways. I'm going to beat his rear end into getting the vaccine if I have to.