Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Empty Sandwich posted:

one of my local grocery stores will occasionally put a full loving 50-lb bag of potatoes at the end of the aisle. it costs $12.99.

I have on at least one occasion succumbed

Store near me does this with 20lb bags of onions at the same time every year, and they're even locally grown!

They never last long enough to dry out or otherwise go bad. I just eat hella onions for 2 months and then crave more for another 2 months.

Chopped raw onions on your burger, hotdog, eggs, rice pilaf, chili, salad, frozen pizza, bean side dish of almost any type, in your quesadilla or burrito, etc.

Make a big pan of carmelized onions and put them in/on everything for 3 days straight. Sausages, omelettes, meatloaf sandwich, rice and beans, chicken patty sandwich, butter garlic parm pasta, couscous with diced mushroom and peppers, cabbage rolls, hamburger with BBQ sauce, steamed green beans, etc.

Got me craving now. A sandwich of toast, fried egg w/ runny yolk, fried spam, and leftover carmelized onions. Or literally the same thing on leftover rice instead of toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

chicken semicolon soup

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I actually think it might be the whole one in there

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Store near me does this with 20lb bags of onions at the same time every year, and they're even locally grown!

They never last long enough to dry out or otherwise go bad. I just eat hella onions for 2 months and then crave more for another 2 months.

Chopped raw onions on your burger, hotdog, eggs, rice pilaf, chili, salad, frozen pizza, bean side dish of almost any type, in your quesadilla or burrito, etc.

Make a big pan of carmelized onions and put them in/on everything for 3 days straight. Sausages, omelettes, meatloaf sandwich, rice and beans, chicken patty sandwich, butter garlic parm pasta, couscous with diced mushroom and peppers, cabbage rolls, hamburger with BBQ sauce, steamed green beans, etc.

Got me craving now. A sandwich of toast, fried egg w/ runny yolk, fried spam, and leftover carmelized onions. Or literally the same thing on leftover rice instead of toast.

Caramelized onions freeze pretty well. Or make a shitload of onion masala and freeze it in ice cube trays.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

spaceblancmange posted:

Boy I sure could go for a bowl of nutritious, delicious Nutella right about now. Can't get enough of that smooth creamy taste!

E-A-T M-O-R-E N-U-T-E-L-L-A

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Goons can have little a Nutella as a treat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Like what the gently caress? I think the idea of adding in some chips to real mashed potatoes might be a fun experiment though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Nutella is allegedly made of nuts but what it basically is is just chocolate goop you can buy entire jars of. I assume it is some sort of nut butter used to suspend massive amounts of chocolate powder.

They changed the recipe a few years ago, less nuts, less chocolate, mor sugar.

My kid wanted a jar of nutella, but I'd already gotten him a 5kg tin of pickled cucumbers, so I said he had to choose. This tin of pickles, or this jar of nutella. He chose the pickles.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

His Divine Shadow posted:

They changed the recipe a few years ago, less nuts, less chocolate, mor sugar.

My kid wanted a jar of nutella, but I'd already gotten him a 5kg tin of pickled cucumbers, so I said he had to choose. This tin of pickles, or this jar of nutella. He chose the pickles.

You've raised him well

I remember nutella adverts from the UK when I was a kid, they had the gall to show the jar being filled by whole milk and piles of hazelnuts, with a smiling mother approvingly looking on as her kids spread it on their bread as each jar was made with the equivalent of a glass of milk!! or some other spurious bollocks

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly making "mashed potatoes" out of commercial chips is... you do you. But, for gently caress sake. Crush them into a powder and add just enough water to achieve the right consistency instead of boiling and draining whole chips. Like if you want to do it, for your own godforsaken reason, there's a competent and an incompetent way.

Also are Lays cut from whole potatoes? Cause if you did it with Pringles it'd be like, congrats, you reconstituted them into the slurry they were originally made from.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

My Lovely Horse posted:

Cause if you did it with Pringles it'd be like, congrats, you reconstituted them into the slurry they were originally made from.

It's the only way to snack on my strict paleo diet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Butterfly Valley posted:

You've raised him well

I remember nutella adverts from the UK when I was a kid, they had the gall to show the jar being filled by whole milk and piles of hazelnuts, with a smiling mother approvingly looking on as her kids spread it on their bread as each jar was made with the equivalent of a glass of milk!! or some other spurious bollocks

In the 90s, they tried to sell Kinder Milch-Snitte as a "healthy snack" and containing "lots of milk and a drop of honey", despite it being mostly fat and plain sugar.

You need to eat like 20 of the things to get 200ml of milk, which also gets you 150 grams of fat or something. "Healthy snack", indeed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nutella used to advertise with "contains the best parts of a glass of milk" or something.

I remember a cartoon that had some jars in a shop side by side, one saying that and the other "contains the stuff that was left over from the glass of milk"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And they sneer at us for peanut butter, smdh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nutella used to advertise with "contains the best parts of a glass of milk" or something.

I remember a cartoon that had some jars in a shop side by side, one saying that and the other "contains the stuff that was left over from the glass of milk"

Wasn't that an ad for Kinder Chocolate?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cadbury's chocolate in the UK would always advertise as having 'a glass and a half (of milk) in every bar'

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Wasn't that an ad for Kinder Chocolate?
Might have been, I think Ferrero were just generally all about mentioning milk wherever they could.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm not a fan of Nutella, yet I found a jar of this madness once, and I absolutely loved it.

Of course I never saw it in stores again.

I actually bought a jar of this stuff at Jungle Jim's (Cincinnati's massive international market), I think it was in the Holland aisle, but I didn't exactly pay attention. Yeah, it is awesome stuff, my roommate ate most of it though

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Meanwhile:

Sadly, it's not real cookie dough, but it tastes convincing…

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

Meanwhile:

Sadly, it's not real cookie dough, but it tastes convincing…

This stuff is seriously gross. It's like eating some sort of sugar-tar.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I have this brick of government-food-program American cheese. It is a perfect shade of construction equipment yellow, has the consistency of modeling clay, and tastes like the foil wrapper off an Arby's Beef & Cheddar. It doesn't melt worth a drat, to the point where if I slap a slice on a burger, the burger will be a lump of charcoal before the cheese begins to get appreciably melted. However, experimentation with previous blocks revealed it actually sears and crisps up if you plop it straight into the pan, like a fine toasting cheese, without any of the fineness whatsoever. Having a craving for crisp cheese, I just sliced open this block and tossed some in my trusty frying pan.

However, whether because this is the first time I've done it on this stove (gas versus previous electric), because my spatula was too thick, because it's been so long since I made it last that I forgot the procedure, or simply due to the whims of the cheese gods, it failed completely. I got a melty mess that I couldn't flip, and a crispy bottom that stuck to the pan. Knowing I wouldn't get any semi-tasty cheese crisps out of this debacle, I draped a flour tortilla over the pan to soften and warm it, dumped the melted cheese out onto it, and scraped the crusty bits onto the resulting insult to quesadillas everywhere.

Dareon has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Feb 5, 2021

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

This stuff is seriously gross. It's like eating some sort of sugar-tar.

Pistols at dawn please.

It's miles beyond Nutella and peanut butter. It even has a vague taste of the cookie it's supposed to based on. And it hasn't got the crazy nutella cult, which is a plus.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Agricola Frigidus posted:

crazy nutella cult

Which is blatantly an astroturf push by Ferrero, just like the bacon thing was started and is continually boosted by the pork industry.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KozmoNaut posted:

Which is blatantly an astroturf push by Ferrero, just like the bacon thing was started and is continually boosted by the pork industry.

I like bacon, it's easy to cook and you can use the grease to fry eggs while you wait for your toast to toast.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

KozmoNaut posted:

The literal beginning of bacon popularity from the turn of the century was a direct marketing campaign from the pork industry to Healthify bacon. It's social media resurgence was also fueled by them but cost less money.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Canadian ads for Kraft Singles used to do the "glass of milk" thing too. I remember one where they poured milk out of a big old timey glass pitcher and it "filled up" as a cheese product slice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh also I had a friend when I was a kid that was such a picky eater that he'd refuse anything that wasn't fast food or kraft singles and the worst loving white bread. He was so stubborn about this that his parents had to get him onto vitamin supplements, including an iron supplement, which hosed up his digestion and then he had to start taking metamucil for old people at like 12 years old, which he would rather do than just eat something that wasn't fast food or kraft singles.

That's my Canadian Kraft Singles story.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Canadian ads for Kraft Singles used to do the "glass of milk" thing too. I remember one where they poured milk out of a big old timey glass pitcher and it "filled up" as a cheese product slice.

tbf I think if we did a man on the street bit and asked people what cheese was made of we would all be sorely disappointed

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Oh also I had a friend when I was a kid that was such a picky eater that he'd refuse anything that wasn't fast food or kraft singles and the worst loving white bread. He was so stubborn about this that his parents had to get him onto vitamin supplements, including an iron supplement, which hosed up his digestion and then he had to start taking metamucil for old people at like 12 years old, which he would rather do than just eat something that wasn't fast food or kraft singles.

That's my Canadian Kraft Singles story.

Great White North, more like clogged down south.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hawowanlawow posted:

tbf I think if we did a man on the street bit and asked people what cheese was made of we would all be sorely disappointed

What?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Speculoos definitely developed a feverish minor cult following when Trader Joes dropped their remix

I was working at one at the time and Christ, suddenly everything was speculoos butter this, speculoos cookie that, I think people just liked saying speculoos

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm saying based on every man on the street bit I've seen asking basic common knowledge questions, a ton of people probably don't know cheese is made from milk, so an ad highlighting that cheese contains the nutrients of milk isn't that weird

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LifeSunDeath posted:

The literal beginning of bacon popularity from the turn of the century was a direct marketing campaign from the pork industry to Healthify bacon. It's social media resurgence was also fueled by them but cost less money.

Midcentury food ads and cookbooks full of aspics are funny and all but the weirdest are always the pre-war ones that are obsessed with NOURISHING FOOD FULL OF FAT TO BUILD UP YOUR SCRAWNY KIDS

AND SO DIGESTIBLE !!!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Midcentury food ads and cookbooks full of aspics are funny and all but the weirdest are always the pre-war ones that are obsessed with NOURISHING FOOD FULL OF FAT TO BUILD UP YOUR SCRAWNY KIDS

yes, because they had all this waste animal product, gelatin was a way to use and sell it, so they went full court press on making it seem like it was the in thing to do and you needed it in your life. narrator: it was not

believe it or not, the guy that made all the WW1 and 2 chemical weapons also created this nitrogen process to make better fertilizer, and it essentially doubled the food output of the world, and grain for animals. That boom ended up causing companies to just have extra stuff to sell, and they needed a way to convince people to buy all the refuse.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
While looking up an image of Speculoos I also stumbled upon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECULOOS and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST.

Belgians…

e: Vruchtenhagel fits this thread as well imho

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm not a fan of Nutella, yet I found a jar of this madness once, and I absolutely loved it.

Of course I never saw it in stores again.

I think it’s easiest to find in stores that cater to Mexican and Central American emigres.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CommonShore posted:

OOH, I have vague recollections of commercials here in the US, where they'd fill up one brand with a glass of milk and the other brand was just oil and garbage because it wasn't real cheese.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LifeSunDeath posted:

yes, because they had all this waste animal product, gelatin was a way to use and sell it, so they went full court press on making it seem like it was the in thing to do and you needed it in your life. narrator: it was not

believe it or not, the guy that made all the WW1 and 2 chemical weapons also created this nitrogen process to make better fertilizer, and it essentially doubled the food output of the world, and grain for animals. That boom ended up causing companies to just have extra stuff to sell, and they needed a way to convince people to buy all the refuse.

Yeah, Fritz Haber definitely has an odd reputation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dareon posted:

I have this brick of government-food-program American cheese.

that stuff is pretty close to velveeta. dice it into half inch cubes, throw it in a bowl with some chili, nuke it and stir. makes a pretty passable queso