Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/bumpfn/status/1355992917022748673

why who wants this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well it got me visiting the site.

the site has a certificate error

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Guavanaut posted:

Cytokeirn Starm.

Interferon in your local elections.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The phishing bots are getting more sophisticated every day.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That website is thousands upon thousands of words about gut health

I feel like their attention grabbing marketing thing got lost when they decided to paste half of wikipedia into it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It seems to be twin celebs being all celeby on their own website about poops. And they have a shop selling health lifestyle stuff so I'm 90% it's a grift.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale has always been close to my heart/colon. :aaaaa:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

Starmer is a loving idiot goon.
As an idiot goon myself I take offence to this :mad:

My partner’s workplace sent out an email today asking everybody to please turn off the NHS COVID app on their phones since it keeps telling people they should self-isolate

Like, I can imagine a world where what they say is true but given that their internal procedure for dealing with an infection has been ‘line manager calls infected employee to confirm and then tells the whole office employee is infected’ I don’t believe we live in that world.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Sorry if this has been posted, I missed the start of the new thread.

Tessa Jowell, outgoing chair of the Charity Commission posted:

Asked how charities could campaign on issues like race and trans rights in a way that was in line with their objectives but was not polarising, Stowell said: “You have to be respectful of a wide range of views.”

She went on to say that anyone who thought racism was a good thing was not worthy of respect.

An acquaintance of mine was on the call for this interview, and says she was specifically asked if she’d like to expand that quote to cover transphobia. She declined stating that it’s a debate that “isn’t settled”. My friend doesn’t know if the interviewer declined to include that or the editor struck it, but either way I would like to state that I hope Tessa Jowell’s next position is that of being fed into a meat grinder.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Technically the "race debate" isn't settled either because there's still big brains that think that The Bell EndCurve has something to add, would they like to comment on that?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TACD posted:

Let’s get those children back in school, no ifs or buts!

Up to 100 UK children a week hospitalised with rare post-Covid disease

I think I'm going to ease off on criticising Kieth for sitting on the fence all the time, because the only times he's come off it, to get the kids back to school & to suspend Jeremy Corbyn from the PLP, have been disastrously loving stupid.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The Fudge Shop is open!

Hey guys, super stoked to report that Fudjit is now fully back in operation! There are currently six flavours stocked on the website, and we will be adding several new ones each week going forwards!

And though I say it myself, this is probably the best fudge I’ve made so far- the new kitchen is working out really well :)

We have four popular flavours as well as two brand new ones available. These are:

* Original Vanilla
* Milk Chocolate
* Dark Chocolate
* Chocolate Orange
* Toblerone - everyone’s favourite triangular treat combined with our smoothest fudge. The honey nougat has melted into the fudge to give a slight chew and subtle background flavour
* Pretzelicious - chocolate dipped pretzels enrobed in slightly salted fudge, for a great combo of salt and sweet, smoothness and crunch.

Going forwards the goal is to introduce an ‘experimental’ flavour at least several times a month- if there’s any flavour you’d like me to try out making please let me know either here or via email to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com and I’ll see what can be done!

All stock is now live and for sale at https://www.fudjit.co.uk - use the special goon discount code ‘roastbeefisbest’ to get five bags for the price of four :)

I am sad to report however that I’m currently not able to ship outside of the UK. I know there are several fudge fans on the mainland, and I’m deeply sorry that our government has hosed up your fudge supply. As soon as I find a solution, I will let you know

Happy fudging, guys and gals

Camrath fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 5, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Scary stuff. I'm assuming the disproportionate effect on BAME children just mirrors the disproportionate prevalence of COVID overall in the BAME community, though it's not implausible there's a causative link to something with a racial propensity like presence of sickle cell allele or something.

I have an inkling that the reason BAME people have worse outcomes on Racism Island isn't because of their genetics

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TACD posted:

As an idiot goon myself I take offence to this :mad:

My partner’s workplace sent out an email today asking everybody to please turn off the NHS COVID app on their phones since it keeps telling people they should self-isolate

Like, I can imagine a world where what they say is true but given that their internal procedure for dealing with an infection has been ‘line manager calls infected employee to confirm and then tells the whole office employee is infected’ I don’t believe we live in that world.

I'm be honest I forgot the NHS app was a thing. I wonder what the take up is for it, because I haven't see any adverts or guidance mentioning it recently.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

TACD posted:

Would be a shame if that email and the name of the employer were leaked to the press.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

* Toblerone - everyone’s favourite triangular treat combined with our smoothest fudge. The honey nougat has melted into the fudge to give a slight chew and subtle background flavour

:bisonyes:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

keep punching joe posted:

Would be a shame if that email and the name of the employer were leaked to the press.
i can see the headlines now
"proud english job creators take a stand against government overreach"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Is that large Q code still of any use?
We put one up in the entrance to our flats (as we were informed we must), and there are several in various buildings around town, but also a lot now without it or with one peeling off windows. I've never seen anyone using them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Technically the "race debate" isn't settled either because there's still big brains that think that The Bell EndCurve has something to add, would they like to comment on that?

yeah, none of these debates are ever going to be "settled". there are always going to be fuckheads who will never be convinced who want to stop any kind of progress by continually dragging the discussion back to square one. in order to actually realise that one side isn't actually arguing in good faith they'd have to actually pay attention to the arguments and think about them rather than tune out and throw their hands up at how rude people are being from time to time, though, so this clownshow will go on for a while I guess

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Communist Thoughts posted:

I have an inkling that the reason BAME people have worse outcomes on Racism Island isn't because of their genetics

Right. Covid does significantly more damage to people in poor health already, and we already know plenty about how health outcomes differ based on ethnicity, as well as how both of those things relate to income

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alex Salmond is having a 'mare

https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1357615077961170945?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
paul dacre getting off to a great start lol

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1357650438905069568?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Has Dacre been confirmed yet?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Wo't stop the StuAnon zoomers convincing themselves that he's ready to step in and steady the ship once Joanna Cherry completes her transphobic coup on the Sturgeon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

absolutely despicable behaviour this

https://twitter.com/MichaelDugher/status/1357643936232275968?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've been doing the YouGov daily surveys for a little while now and they're just so loving bad. Most of the long form paid surveys are extremely confusing and full of questions that are massively open to interpretation.

This poo poo today though:

"Thinking about films and television made several decades ago that contain content that may be regarded by some people today as being sexist or racist, do you think such films or television can or cannot still be enjoyable?"

It seems tailor made to generate a swathe of 'Brits reject PC censorship of classic blackface sitcoms' when everyone says old films can be enjoyable. Considering everything made before 2010 (and pretty much everything after) has something that could be seen as racist or sexist today it's incredibly disingenuous.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 5, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Greek plays and the writings of 18th century Germans can be enjoyable but I wouldn't want to live in a society based on lauding those values.

Almost like fuckwits deliberately misunderstand what problematic means and why it's closer to the opposite of irredeemable than the same thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

explains an awful lot this

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1357657312471711744?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hence the first half of my post!

But also, the two are by no means mutually exclusive

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/leninology/status/1357657911175106561

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

There's a bunch of evidence (that I cba to dig up) showing that Covid is disproportionately harmful to BAME people even after controlling for factors like income, housing and access to healthcare

Those factors are definitely also significant though

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

jesus christ Jose, wtf happened to your avatar?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This was the front page of the Morning Star yesterday. loving outrageous and yet utterly not shocking.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I would imagine that BAME people heavily working in service, hospitality, and healthcare industries probably gives them a disproportionate/higher exposure to Covid as well.

Vitimin D production may also be big factor in the rainy shithole that is Normal Island.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

There's a bunch of evidence (that I cba to dig up) showing that Covid is disproportionately harmful to BAME people even after controlling for factors like income, housing and access to healthcare

Those factors are definitely also significant though

That said, this doesn't seem to carry over into BAME-majority countries, which suggests that it's unlikely to simply be a matter of biology.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

notaspy posted:

jesus christ Jose, wtf happened to your avatar?

Bobstar posted:

The Full Tonty

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Camrath posted:

The Fudge Shop is open!

Hey guys, super stoked to report that Fudjit is now fully back in operation! There are currently six flavours stocked on the website, and we will be adding several new ones each week going forwards!

And though I say it myself, this is probably the best fudge I’ve made so far- the new kitchen is working out really well :)

We have four popular flavours as well as two brand new ones available. These are:

* Original Vanilla
* Milk Chocolate
* Dark Chocolate
* Chocolate Orange
* Pretzelicious - chocolate dipped pretzels enrobed in slightly salted fudge, for a great combo of salt and sweet, smoothness and crunch.

Going forwards the goal is to introduce an ‘experimental’ flavour at least several times a month- if there’s any flavour you’d like me to try out making please let me know either here or via email to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com and I’ll see what can be done!

All stock is now live and for sale at https://www.fudjit.co.uk - use the special goon discount code ‘roastbeefisbest’ to get five bags for the price of four :)

I am sad to report however that I’m currently not able to ship outside of the UK. I know there are several fudge fans on the mainland, and I’m deeply sorry that our government has hosed up your fudge supply. As soon as I find a solution, I will let you know

Happy fudging, guys and gals

The whiskey and ginger was excellent, so I'd like to see that making a comeback, and I deeply regret never trying the Irish cream.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

While obviously there are a lot of social and economic reasons why BAME people have worse health outcomes in general, covid is hitting people from these communities far worse than e.g. flu, and a couple of genetic factors have already been identified that seem to change your risk of severe disease once infected.

The two that come to mind are that people with type O blood have a far greater chance of mild or no symptoms than people with type AB, and people with a generic predisposition to apple-shape obesity seem to be hit far harder by covid *even if they are not obese*. These factors are both more common in BAME communities and crucially the difference in outcomes is consistent across ethnic groups, so BAME people would be being hit hardest by this even in a perfectly equal society.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

While obviously there are a lot of social and economic reasons why BAME people have worse health outcomes in general, covid is hitting people from these communities far worse than e.g. flu, and a couple of genetic factors have already been identified that seem to change your risk of severe disease once infected.

The two that come to mind are that people with type O blood have a far greater chance of mild or no symptoms than people with type AB, and people with a generic predisposition to apple-shape obesity seem to be hit far harder by covid *even if they are not obese*. These factors are both more common in BAME communities and crucially the difference in outcomes is consistent across ethnic groups, so BAME people would be being hit hardest by this even in a perfectly equal society.

sounds like race science to me m8