Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

pmchem posted:

I made an semi-effort post over in the stocks thread about SCHX, the Schwab U.S. Large-Cap ETF: https://www.schwabfunds.com/products/schx

It's kind of a compromise between VOO and VTI. I really, really like it. I encourage anyone choosing their broad US market index fund to check it out and consider it.

Nice, thank you. Good post and an interesting option. I've run VTI quite a bit but I don't love the long tail, necessarily.

Residency Evil posted:

I do not deserve this. I owe you a beer or three.

No problem! I spent a lot of time solving an optimization problem that I suspect isn't actually a problem that needs to be optimized. Sounds a lot like my day job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nice, thank you. Good post and an interesting option. I've run VTI quite a bit but I don't love the long tail, necessarily.

I didn’t see pmchem’s post there (I only glanced at the link), can you clarify on the long tail ?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So even the best savings accounts only go up to .5% APY or thereabouts, then. Interesting, obviously that’s still not a lot but I guess there’s only so much you can find when you’re just having your money sitting in an account doing nothing.

I’m not sure what my other options are when it comes to what to do with my extra money (besides retirement investing). There’s stocks, obviously, but I’m really not ready or even well-researched enough to start gambling money away. Is there a more reliable way to use my money besides trading stocks, that’s more lucrative potentially then a savings account? I guess this is more of short term investing question, so this might not be really relevant to this thread. Sorry!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I didn’t see pmchem’s post there (I only glanced at the link), can you clarify on the long tail ?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&pagenumber=2115#post512275125 explains it, especially if you look at the linked morningstar weight boxes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No problem! I spent a lot of time solving an optimization problem that I suspect isn't actually a problem that needs to be optimized. Sounds a lot like my day job.

Well, the assumptions you made were pretty spot on. Consultant? Expensive consultant? :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Well, the assumptions you made were pretty spot on. Consultant? Expensive consultant? :v:

very

Duckman2008 posted:

Sure, pmchem linked the post, but VTI is total stock market so it includes everything including small caps, and I think VTI doesn't necessarily weight small caps correctly. I also don't love just holding S&P 500 and like the idea of 750 cap weighted with a bit more aggressive inclusion.

edit: Schwab also has an absurdly low ER international stock index in SWISX

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 5, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&pagenumber=2115#post512275125 explains it, especially if you look at the linked morningstar weight boxes

Good link, thank you. I probably won’t swing my current holdings too if, but I would probably add it in future investments. I already don’t use a S&P only stock, just the Vanguard large cap mutual fund and VTSAX, but This is a good option to know about.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

very

Sure, pmchem linked the post, but VTI is total stock market so it includes everything including small caps, and I think VTI doesn't necessarily weight small caps correctly. I also don't love just holding S&P 500 and like the idea of 750 cap weighted with a bit more aggressive inclusion.

edit: Schwab also has an absurdly low ER international stock index in SWISX

Appreciate the info here as well. Also, thanks for the answer above on taxes for a Roth.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So even the best savings accounts only go up to .5% APY or thereabouts, then. Interesting, obviously that’s still not a lot but I guess there’s only so much you can find when you’re just having your money sitting in an account doing nothing.

I’m not sure what my other options are when it comes to what to do with my extra money (besides retirement investing). There’s stocks, obviously, but I’m really not ready or even well-researched enough to start gambling money away. Is there a more reliable way to use my money besides trading stocks, that’s more lucrative potentially then a savings account? I guess this is more of short term investing question, so this might not be really relevant to this thread. Sorry!

Take the broad-based index and/or target date funds that you buy I'm tax-advantaged accounts, and buy roughly those same things in a regular old brokerage account.

"Roughly" because of asset location, emergency fund, and other time-horizon-liquidity situational components.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

pmchem posted:

Getting the next Tesla runup definitely sounds promising.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 5, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Would Moderna be good for my investment portfolio? They are on of the better vaccine companies.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
'coronavirus will be around for a bit you should invest in this stock' vs 'I'm holding this money for 30 years and the Healthcare industry is potentially going to be flipped on its head by then'

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

Would Moderna be good for my investment portfolio? They are on of the better vaccine companies.

this is the boring thread where we don't pick stocks because we recognize that picking stocks is gambling. don't gamble with your retirement money.

edit: not to say that you shouldn't invest in Moderna if you want to, but the right place to ask that question is the other thread.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I have done pretty well on my employer matched 401k, but I wanted to make some changes for some better returns

First, I moved all of my position in short term bonds into a S&P index fund. It's a long overdue change. The former was getting stupidly bad returns over the lifetime that I've had it- something like 1.5%, whereas the index fund has gone up 14% in that time. So I think that's a good/safe change.

I also have about 12% of my portfolio in intermediate term bonds. Would it be wise to lower that to something like 10% and reallocate the rest into more large cap funds? Bonds seem pretty anemic comparatively.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Glass of Milk posted:

I have done pretty well on my employer matched 401k, but I wanted to make some changes for some better returns

First, I moved all of my position in short term bonds into a S&P index fund. It's a long overdue change. The former was getting stupidly bad returns over the lifetime that I've had it- something like 1.5%, whereas the index fund has gone up 14% in that time. So I think that's a good/safe change.

I also have about 12% of my portfolio in intermediate term bonds. Would it be wise to lower that to something like 10% and reallocate the rest into more large cap funds? Bonds seem pretty anemic comparatively.

You don't want to get heavy into bonds until you're getting close to retirement. They're a hedge that if you're young you shouldn't need much of.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Just remember that the purpose of bonds is not extreme growth. They smooth volatility. There are some back tested studies that show that a portfolio with some bonds shows greater growth than a 100% stock portfolio because of that, but that's not something you're likely to see given our current 10+-year stock run up.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Glass of Milk posted:

This is the exact opposite of a safe change. The reason stocks have a higher expected return is because they poo poo the bed every so often. Bonds are an anchor in a portfolio and smooth out the volatility of stocks.

Figure out your asset allocation independently of what performance has been in the past decade, and stick with it. The Intelligent Asset Allocator is a good book to read for an overview of what you should be considering.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

Residency Evil posted:

Young blood, my friend, there are a lot of doctors that post in this thread. People are being a bit harsh, but that's because this is the "serious" retirement investing thread, and not the one that encourages speculation.

One of the most valuable things you can do right now, in your last year of med school in the time between now/the match and when you start residency in July is to do some reading. Not because you're going to have money to invest as an intern/resident, but because it's going to set you up for the future. The books in the thread are a good start. Here's where I'd start:

1. Read the Boglehead Guide to Investing
2. Read the White Coast Investor Blog/Book. (The book is shorter than the bogleheads book. The blog is decent, but has gotten worse over the past few years as the owner has become more of a shill for his advertisers.)
3. Read the Four Pillars of Investing if you want even more detail.

I'm about 10 years ahead of you, and still very early on in my investing life. For what it's worth, I'm a subspecialty oncologist, and in some cases, I'm aware of trials/things that are coming down the pike. I'm still surprised at the reaction to some things by the stock market, and I can't predict why investors seem to care about one trial versus another. Because of that, 99.9% of my investing is in boring index funds, which have done pretty well for me. If you do nothing else, I'd read the Bogleheads book at some point in between March and June.

Bumping my 457 question:

This is the kind of engagement I was looking for and appreciate, thank you

Seems like we could really use a People Skills advice thread since a lot of people ITT think "You idiot. You dumbshit moron" is a genius persuasive tactic

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Vlonald Prump posted:

Seems like we could really use a People Skills advice thread since a lot of people ITT think "You idiot. You dumbshit moron" is a genius persuasive tactic

I can agree with that, but as long as we're talking people skills, having some humility when asking questions will serve you well in life and your career, especially for someone in the medical field. There are many accounts of (very skilled, intelligent) doctors missing things when they approach someone, especially someone less credentialed or with different life experiences, as if they already know the solutions.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 5, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vlonald Prump posted:

It's nobody's job to hold the hand of a loving medical student with delusions of adequacy

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

something something bedside manner

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vlonald Prump posted:

You're a medical STUDENT who thinks they've unlocked the key to the stock market who's not even thought "wouldn't this all be priced into the market already even if only doctors were special enough to figure it out?" who also Kramered into a long running thread without reading any of it.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Vlonald Prump posted:

I mean no disrespect by this, but it will serve you well over the next 4+ years if you instead assume that you don't yet know poo poo about medicine or anything else. Residency is an eye-opening experience to say the least.

edit: Welp, sorry, didn't refresh and now I'm just part of the pile-on.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

something something bedside manner

Thank you tittiekisser69, I’ve got a 4.9/5.0 patient rating. :smug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

note the lil baby doctor-to-be only appreciates advice from another doctor, he's on a good path already

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

note the lil baby doctor-to-be only appreciates advice from another doctor, he's on a good path already

Had to call the attending even

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Small White Dragon posted:

Doctors and lawyers are pretty much all the bad examples in the Millionaire Next Door.

Even a stopped clock can tell you doctors are often BWM.

Vlonald Prump posted:

literally the first paragraph in the OP tells you exactly what to expect

panic posted:

Welcome to the long-term investing thread. Here is the place to get suggestions on how to set up your retirement portfolio, or 401k, or IRA. This is not the place for timing the market - if you hint that you might be doing that, forty finance amateurs with attitudes will pile on to beat it out of you. But they will have good information for you so you should listen!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

moana posted:

This is the exact opposite of a safe change. The reason stocks have a higher expected return is because they poo poo the bed every so often. Bonds are an anchor in a portfolio and smooth out the volatility of stocks.

Figure out your asset allocation independently of what performance has been in the past decade, and stick with it. The Intelligent Asset Allocator is a good book to read for an overview of what you should be considering.

Thanks, yeah..I had set my allocations literally a decade ago and forgot about them until I got a free market analysis from one of those investment places that charge a bunch to manage your portfolio that told me to go to 0% on the short term bonds, so that seemed pretty clear to me even without buying their advice.

I'll look into that book, but based on what you and others have said, keeping a mix of bonds as part of the portfolio is a decent idea to smooth volatility. I appreciate the advice!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well well well... if it isn't the consequences of my own posting

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The best part of this thread is that every so often you get to really cut loose and yell at someone in between the boring rear end discussions about low fee index funds

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Vlonald Prump posted:

Notice that I've given advice to other people recently and have not called their ideas dumbahit ideas. I'm sure there's a conclusion you can ignore here, you brilliant doctor to be.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I appreciate there are posters drawing a hard line between long term investing and stock speculation

People who use this thread to dip their toes into planning for the first time don't have the experience to discern between an effortpost on picking stocks that may develop value in the future and developing a philosophy of consistent risk-balanced saving. When I was 22 and had no idea what the gently caress to do with my money that post would have been very compelling without being hard-checked

One thing that hasn't changed in the 9 years I've been lurking BFC is people thinking they've figured out One Weird Trick to an Early Retirement kramering into the thread and getting huffy when they're told their ideas are bad and unoriginal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the one weird trick has been essentially figured out but it's dull and boring so therefore it can't be good!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

This is a thread for passive investment, not passive aggression. Take the L and move on. Thanks. :)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not a Children posted:

One Weird Trick to an Early Retirement

The Ticktock is gone but I love it so watch it via this video (from 2:30 - 3:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIVqWNocWXk&t=150s

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What are the thoughts of moving a former employer 401K in charles to something actively traded in TD Ameritrade?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pmchem posted:

I made an semi-effort post over in the stocks thread about SCHX, the Schwab U.S. Large-Cap ETF: https://www.schwabfunds.com/products/schx

It's kind of a compromise between VOO and VTI. I really, really like it. I encourage anyone choosing their broad US market index fund to check it out and consider it.

I've heard about SCHG, I'm trying to figure out what the difference is.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Herr Tog posted:

What are the thoughts of moving a former employer 401K in charles to something actively traded in TD Ameritrade?

You can roll your old 401k into a trad IRA and invest it however you want (you can open this almost anywhere). If I understand your question you want to put it in a brokerage account? You will take a massive tax hit to do that. Most people here would recommend low expense ration index funds.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

Motronic posted:

You're a medical STUDENT who thinks they've unlocked the key to the stock market who's not even thought "wouldn't this all be priced into the market already even if only doctors were special enough to figure it out?" who also Kramered into a long running thread without reading any of it.

I posted in this thread because the other thread is full of noise about meme stocks and because I DON'T known how to tell which companies are undervalued and wanted advice about that, and wanted to spark a discussion about taking long-term advantage of the biggest mass vaccination push in human history more generally. Thread consensus seems to be "don't bother, look at index funds instead, also you're an egotistical idiot for even thinking about it. Don't cheat on your wife." First half: for real, thanks, I'll check it out, I intend to read a lot of stuff before throwing money at anything. Second half: :rolleyes: is about the politest reaction I can muster.

I do (for real) apologize for not realizing y'all are trying to keep the discussion here strictly about 401ks and bonds etc though. I'll stop spamming up your thread now.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

You can roll your old 401k into a trad IRA and invest it however you want (you can open this almost anywhere). If I understand your question you want to put it in a brokerage account? You will take a massive tax hit to do that. Most people here would recommend low expense ration index funds.

Thank you so much, could I move it to a trad IRA with a credit union and still pick stocks I am invested in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Herr Tog posted:

What you're asking here isn't very clear.

If you're wondering whether you should actively trade your retirement accounts, please review the past couple of pages to see the thread's overwhelming consensus opinion on whether you should do that the answer is "absolutely loving not"

If you're asking whether you should cash out your old 401(k) into a non-retirement account, absolutely not, unless you're in a desperate financial situation where you're already eating rice and beans in the dark with the thermostat set at uncomfortable temperatures but still can't cover costs.

If you're asking whether you should roll your old 401(k) into an IRA, maybe, but it depends on a few different factors like whether you want to use a backdoor Roth strategy in the future.