Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah but those are less important than "did i like it", and I like The Hobbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also like the Hobbit*

*movies

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Once a year we get a page with "The Hobbit book is bad, but the movies are foolishly reviled masterpieces."

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

LotR is a more realistically grounded story altogether, which is (part of) why those movies work a lot better as live-action, I think. "Unfilmable" they called it, and Jackson proved that wrong; but trying to do the Hobbit as a victory lap was a bridge too far.

Even Tolkien gave up on his more realistic and grounded rewrite of The Hobbit because he couldn't make it work, so no-one else had even the slightest chance.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

euphronius posted:

There are objective elements to media such as film novels etc by which things can be judged

objective art criticism is pretty elitist imo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

euphronius posted:

There are objective elements to media such as film novels etc by which things can be judged

Just like cakes or pies or buildings or baskets or any human endeavor

There are also subjective experiences to those media things that are important but separate from the objective qualities

It’s not trolling to say a movie or book is objectively good. All that is saying is that it’s objective qualities are above average.

One time you claimed that Glamdring was objectively not created in Gondolin, directly contradicting Tolkien himself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes I was right

Hobbit Gondolin was not Gondolin

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

euphronius posted:

Just like cakes or pies or buildings or baskets or any human endeavor

There are also subjective experiences to those media things that are important but separate from the objective qualities

It’s not trolling to say a movie or book is objectively good. All that is saying is that it’s objective qualities are above average.

Objectively good aspects of a film do not a good film make. Film history is littered with bad movies that have gorgeous cinematography, wonderful soundtracks, superb performances, etc.

Any cook can tell you that there's more to making good food than just assembling "objectively good" ingredients.

What you're describing is a very Sheldon-from-BBT, beep boop way of evaluating art.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 5, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Imagined posted:

Objectively good aspects of a film do not a good film make. Film history is littered with bad movies that have gorgeous cinematography, wonderful soundtracks, superb performances, etc.

I literally have no idea what you are trying to say

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

euphronius posted:

I literally have no idea what you are trying to say

Beep boop

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If they are trying to say there are good movies that I don’t like ... ok I already said that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Southpaugh posted:

Once a year we get a page with "The Hobbit book is bad, but the movies are foolishly reviled masterpieces."

You're saying once we're through this one we're safe till 2022?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

euphronius posted:

If they are trying to say there are good movies that I don’t like ... ok I already said that

The word good is a value judgement and as such is intrinsically subjective.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

The word good is a value judgement and as such is intrinsically subjective.

No. You are getting sloppy with your usage of words.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm saying that all the "objectively good" qualities you can name do not add up to an "objectively good" whole. It does not follow that if the cinematography, acting, script, effects, casting, soundtrack, etc are all objectively good (they aren't even all good in this case) then the resulting film must be "objectively good".

It's more than the sum of its parts, the proof is in the pudding, etc, etc

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Southpaugh posted:

I'm willing to make a post with no content if it will get us off this page faster.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Movies have objective qualities upon which they can be judged, such as a running time of 182 minutes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Imagined posted:

I'm saying that all the "objectively good" qualities you can name do not add up to an "objectively good" whole. It does not follow that if the cinematography, acting, script, effects, casting, soundtrack, etc are all objectively good (they aren't even all good in this case) then the resulting film must be "objectively good".

It's more than the sum of its parts, the proof is in the pudding, etc, etc

If the film contains all objectively good elements I don’t understand how you can say it’s not objectively good

To those people wanting to move on, I understand that it’s painful to come to terms with the objective world and your meaninglessness in it but you have to sooner or later and the sooner the better.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

euphronius posted:

No. You are getting sloppy with your usage of words.

You're objectively wrong.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I objectively want you all to shut the hell up about how people phrase their attempts to justify their opinions.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Anybody that wants the full story as to why The Hobbit movies ended up like they did should watch the Appendices included with the Blu-rays and (I assume) the DVDs. They are far better than the movies they are attached to and make the reasoning for a lot of the flaws pretty clear. You get the distinct impression that Jackson didn't really want to make them, the movies were rushed into production (they were writing the stuff on the fly), and the movies being 3D meant that most of the production techniques used so well in LotR didn't work and had to be re-invented.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

If the film contains all objectively good elements I don’t understand how you can say it’s not objectively good

To those people wanting to move on, I understand that it’s painful to come to terms with the objective world and your meaninglessness in it but you have to sooner or later and the sooner the better.

Objectively good elements can still be incoherent between each other. If you give an objectively good war drama the objectively good score of a buddy cop comedy, that's not gonna work out.

perc2
May 16, 2020

I haven't seen the Hobbit movies, the clips I watched on Youtube turned me away but the clip I saw of Galadriel saying "Mithrandir" under moonlight owned immensely, incredible scenes, and I am happy to leave it at that and watch nothing else. An elf and a Maia on almost equal levels of power and majesty saying whattup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDrHFsX6FsE

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
WHO WANTS A CHANGE OF SUBJECT? I DO!

I've finally played War of the Ring, as the Free Peoples player. It's a crunchy but extremely fun board game where Aragorn can gather all the armies of Gondor in Minas Tirith for a dramatic final stand and protracted siege, and then get absolutely bodied because the Witch-King and four loving Nazgul all roll in with a giant army of orcs and Southrons. My final stab at victory was a desperate alliance of the men of Dale and dwarves of Erebor trying to take back Dol Guldur. It worked quite well, right up until the Easterlings took advantage of the bulk of the army being away to take both Dale and Erebor for the win.

(The elves of the Woodland Realm would've helped, but they'd long since since been wiped out trying to take back Lorien.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 5, 2021

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

pyrotek posted:

Anybody that wants the full story as to why The Hobbit movies ended up like they did should watch the Appendices included with the Blu-rays and (I assume) the DVDs. They are far better than the movies they are attached to and make the reasoning for a lot of the flaws pretty clear. You get the distinct impression that Jackson didn't really want to make them, the movies were rushed into production (they were writing the stuff on the fly), and the movies being 3D meant that most of the production techniques used so well in LotR didn't work and had to be re-invented.

Yeah, it's mostly this. They spent years prepping for LOTR versus weeks or months prepping for the Hobbit movies, and it shows.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Hobbit is such a well written work and imo the best thing Tolkien wrote. I can't imagine disliking it.

perc2
May 16, 2020

On a similar note there are small pockets of the Fantasy Flight LOTR LCG on Tabletop Simulator and OCTGN. I don't know if anyone has interest in that, but the original cards are really hard to get now but you can play the whole thing on those platforms. Would love to run through some of the early expansions and deckbuild if anyone is keen. Install some Orthanc-lookin gaming tables on TTS and stuff

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

sweet geek swag posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJGOq3JclTH_7G3wHRpECZLEMsvKQ8_hr

Here's a link to Lindsay Ellis' videos on the subject. The relevant parts are in the second and third videos. I think the third part has most of the interviews.

Ah, I gave up on that series after the first video didn't seem to do any criticism of the Hobbits, just reminisced about the LOTRs. I am interested in the labor disputes that I heard she covers in the later ones, so I suppose I should finish it . . almost 2 hours tho . . I bookmarked it, but I might just try to find the interviews themselves

euphronius posted:

I will give the hobbit another go. I have had intensely negative experiences with it recently (I can’t even make it to Rivendell) so maybe that was more my own headspace and not the book.

I mean it is for children, like Roverandom or Farmer Giles. It's good in that context, especially compared to poo poo like Harry Potter, but there's really no need revisit it if you didn't enjoy it.

If you're in the mood for fantasy get some Fritz Leiber if you haven't before - I finally found some Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, it slaps!

No Pants posted:

objective art criticism is pretty elitist imo

Elitism, in MY elf books thread??

Imagined posted:

Any cook can tell you that there's more to making good food than just assembling "objectively good" ingredients.

What you're describing is a very Sheldon-from-BBT, beep boop way of evaluating art.

I think I know what you mean but I'd be interested in some examples of bad gorgeous/superb/etc movies.

And there's no need to get ableist over this disagreement, sheesh

Ginette Reno posted:

The Hobbit is such a well written work and imo the best thing Tolkien wrote. I can't imagine disliking it.

I like it plenty but it's not better than Lotr or Sil or even unfinished tales.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

yeah hating the hobbit is like hating the brothers grimm or something

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CommonShore posted:

The old Hobbit cartoon is the superior movie and they should have just done a live action remake from the same script if they wanted a new movie.

The first Lotr film had many scenes that were straight remakes from the Lotr cartoon.

euphronius posted:

They aren’t “bad” movies . This is the same problem I think people get into when they call the prequels bad. They are objectively good films and so are the hobbit ones. There is plenty you may not like about them and even I don’t like episode 1 of Star Wars but they are well made films all

The hobbit in contrast is an objectively bad book. By today’s standards I guess to be fair. Maybe when it came out it was different but idk there was still a lot of fantasy literature even then.

The Hobbit is a children's novel, while Lotr is for some years older demographic. Perhaps that's why many adults prefer Lotr. I'm not sure if it would count as a YA novel, since most characters are adults, and relationships don't play a big role in it.

sweet geek swag posted:

All I'm saying is that if you have to try to pretend that your opinion isn't an opinion, but is instead an objective fact, maybe you aren't making a serious argument. This is the Tolkien thread for goodness sake. We should at least try to use words like objectively correctly.

You are objectively wrong. The basic premise of opinion pieces is that you believe in your opinions. Eg. I have completely opposite opinions about the Hobbit book and films than Euphronius, but that doesn't make him a troll.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The end of the hobbit isn’t very children’s booky iirc

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Hobbit was the best thing I had ever read when I was eight years old and life has all been downhill from there so, therefore

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

I think I know what you mean but I'd be interested in some examples of bad gorgeous/superb/etc movies.

David Lynch's Dune springs to mind. Gorgeous cinematography, great sets, soundtrack, costumes, effects, etc. Dog poo poo (if fun) movie.

Alien 3. Really stylish, atmospheric, excellent cast, cool soundtrack. Terrible movie.

Sucker Punch, Speed Racer, Tron: Legacy, Tree of Life... all movies with a lot of objectively good aspects that aren't generally considered good films, even if they each have dedicated fans.

quote:

And there's no need to get ableist over this disagreement, sheesh

Ok, fair cop. I totally was trying to say the a-word without saying it, but it is ableist of me to insinuate that only folks on the spectrum evaluate things like that. But it does seem to be a trend of modern YouTube criticism to try to judge movies by "objective" numbers. How many jokes per minute (nevermind if they're funny) or how many "plot holes", etc.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 5, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I suspect that lots of people in this argument don't have a clear sense of what "objective" means.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ChubbyChecker posted:

You are objectively wrong. The basic premise of opinion pieces is that you believe in your opinions. Eg. I have completely opposite opinions about the Hobbit book and films than Euphronius, but that doesn't make him a troll.

I mean I don't know if you missed it but this whole thing started with him saying "objectively good films" and "objectively bad book"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Imagined posted:

David Lynch's Dune springs to mind. Gorgeous cinematography, great sets, soundtrack, costumes, effects, etc. Dog poo poo (if fun) movie.

Alien 3. Really stylish, atmospheric, excellent cast, cool soundtrack. Terrible movie.

Sucker Punch, Speed Racer, Tron: Legacy, Tree of Life... all movies with a lot of objectively good aspects that aren't generally considered good films, even if they each have dedicated fans.

Alien 3 and tree of life are good movies :shrug: Certainly not flawless or the best of their respective auteurs, but I don't see how their popularity or reception effect their qualities (good or bad)

I have only seen bits of Dune, I like what I see. Been meaning to watch it properly before the new one comes out.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
To me personally there can be a difference between "I like or enjoy this" and "This is good". A lot of people obviously don't make that distinction, or don't think it's worth making. I definitely enjoyed Dune, Alien 3 (at least, the most recent cut of it), Tron: Legacy, Speed Racer, etc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CommonShore posted:

I suspect that lots of people in this argument don't have a clear sense of what "objective" means.
They're literally wrong about being objectively correct.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Imagined posted:

To me personally there can be a difference between "I like or enjoy this" and "This is good". A lot of people obviously don't make that distinction, or don't think it's worth making. I definitely enjoyed Dune, Alien 3 (at least, the most recent cut of it), Tron: Legacy, Speed Racer, etc.

Road House is the best movie ever made because I have the most fun watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Welcome to postmodernism.