Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You forgot the best one Guy Fieri
E: fun fact Guy Fieri is fluent in french, bet ya didn’t expect that

i didnt really forget him but hes off my radar, you have to be american to really know who he is i think, he seems alright in a baroque sort of way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: fun fact Guy Fieri is fluent in french, bet ya didn’t expect that

I kind of do expect that from a guy called Guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Almost everything is better eaten with utensils than with your hands.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sandwiches?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
What about food on sticks, or food that naturally comes with a handle like a turkey leg

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

what about people who eat sushi with chopsticks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have a three part plan to fix the government

1: Get rid of the Senate. It's terrible, horrifically undemocratic, and purposefully designed to prevent the government from responding to the will of the people. It is unsalvageable, get rid of it.

2: There aren't enough Representatives. Currently, there's about one representative for every 750,000 people. That isn't enough, they can't possibly truly "represent" represent their community when their community is 750,000 people. Under my plan, there should be one representative per 10,000 people. So that's about 32,500 Representatives in the House of representatives. This will be much closer to truer representation. It will also be great for Third Party candidates. The two big partys will be able to dominate the airwaves for 32,500 elections every two years. And with the much smaller markets created by the much smaller districts, it will be way easier for outsiders to get their message to the voters.

I feel like both of those are pretty obviously good ideas, we can quibble on the proper number of Representatives but everybody knows it needs to be way higher than it currently is, and everyone hates the Senate. My third proposal is the boldest and most controversial.

3: Congress should be a jobs program for people who can't make it any other way. What I mean is, if you have ever demonstrated the ability to support yourself, you are ineligible to run. If you've held down a stable job for more than two years, you can't run for Congress. This has two big strengths. First off, it keeps fuckin Paul Ryan/Pete Buttigieg nerds out. Sorry, apple-polishers, you don't get to decide the fates of Americans. The work you have put in to get into that position is in and of itself disqualifying. Secondly, it gives steady jobs to the otherwise unemployable. People who just can't figure it out, for whom stuff never seems to work out, they will have a home in Congress.

I think you will all agree that those three simple reforms will massively improve American governance and the country as a whole.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my ideal government is probably some kind of benevolent conspiracy of Learned Men

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress just bring in liberum veto if you want a huge group of people who get nothing done. It'll save time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress just bring in liberum veto if you want a huge group of people who get nothing done. It'll save time

No, that's the opposite of what my plan will do. Things will move much faster in my new bigger House because they don't have to do the stupid Senate stuff.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Just have everyone vote on everything

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shibawanko posted:

my ideal government is probably some kind of benevolent conspiracy of Learned Men

Lottery in Babylon starting to feel like valid way of running a country.

Clone Farmer
Aug 28, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went to one of those pitch dark restaurants and gave up on the utensils partway through the salad course. It was incredibly satisfying to eat a salad, appetizer, main dish and dessert with just my hands, so much that I keep giving into urges to eat weird stuff like spaghetti with my hands.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah eating with your hands owns actually in every way except for the social stigma of being messy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s not a social stigma, having messy hands and food in your beard and on your face just sucks

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

When you eat with your hands do you just mash it into your face and hope it gets in your mouth or something?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s not a social stigma, having messy hands and food in your beard and on your face just sucks

Yeah like if you have messy hands the major downside is that you have messy hands, and then that mess transfers to other things and everything's a mess.

I guess fingerbowls are the solution but lål ät them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Just use a bread to spoop up the food instead of using your bare hands like some kind of feral basement creature. Same experience, less spaghetti sauce on your fingers. If you're messy when you use a bread spoon you should see a doctor about your coordination concerns.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
goons about to get their minds blown when they discover napkins and handwashing ITT.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
*Edgar Allen Hoe open palm grabbing a handful of bagged salad slathered in ranch and mashing it awkwardly against the general area of their mouth*

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
When I get home today, after salting and shoveling my sidewalk, I'm going to make a big batch of fried rice and not eat it with my hands.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't like when people make a lot of money and still try to present themselves as the downtrodden poor by claiming that the cost of living in their area makes them poor.

The cost difference between the area with the lowest median rent in the US and the highest is around $31k per year. So you could make the argument that someone making $50k out in BFE is functionally the same as someone making $80k in the city, but not $200k. If you're making $200k per year anywhere in the country and still find that you are struggling, you are an idiot who is terrible with money and probably basic arithmetic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Like 99% of people are flat out terrible with money and budgeting because no one ever taught them about it. The trick is to find a career that pays you enough to overcome your own personal ineptitude. I know a few people that pull down seven figures a year and would still have to scrounge to put together a couple of thousand dollars for an unforseen expense.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think its just very hard to be "good" with money.

I'd tell myself I was good because just before Co-Vid hit I managed to save up about a years worth of salary but then I realised I was being supremely dumb, if i lost my job I wouldn't actually get unemployment benefit because of my savings, I've got things that need upgrading like the heating system in my house is from the 1970's and I don't invest or try and grow my money I just sit with it in a bank account. In a sense that's probably the worst way to be with money.

I've got friends who earn far less and are using their money in a more sensible way eg: upgrading their flat with a view to selling for profit. I've also got friends who are in their 30's and still living at home with tens of thousands in the bank. There is no right way

I had it drummed into my head from a young age to look after money and not to buy something unless it was a)necessary or b) you've spent a long time really weighting up if you need it. As such I love the security of having enough in my account to cover a new car or an essential home repair or something. It's ultimately pretty boring though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

For the purposes of what I was trying to say, "good with money" means you pay all your bills, can comfortably pay for necessities, and don't have debt building up.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think its just very hard to be "good" with money.

I'd tell myself I was good because just before Co-Vid hit I managed to save up about a years worth of salary but then I realised I was being supremely dumb, if i lost my job I wouldn't actually get unemployment benefit because of my savings, I've got things that need upgrading like the heating system in my house is from the 1970's and I don't invest or try and grow my money I just sit with it in a bank account. In a sense that's probably the worst way to be with money.

I've got friends who earn far less and are using their money in a more sensible way eg: upgrading their flat with a view to selling for profit. I've also got friends who are in their 30's and still living at home with tens of thousands in the bank. There is no right way

I had it drummed into my head from a young age to look after money and not to buy something unless it was a)necessary or b) you've spent a long time really weighting up if you need it. As such I love the security of having enough in my account to cover a new car or an essential home repair or something. It's ultimately pretty boring though.

Your only problem is the amount of savings you have/had. Save up enough to live off for 3-6 months and spend the rest upgrading your house/investing/whatever gets a better return rate than it sitting in your bank account.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Captain Monkey posted:

Your only problem is the amount of savings you have/had. Save up enough to live off for 3-6 months and spend the rest upgrading your house/investing/whatever gets a better return rate than it sitting in your bank account.

this is 100% great advice but I get some kind of decision paralysis. like I need to upgrade my flats boiler and it would cost a good £4000, my mum will get hers done for for free when she gets to 65, my best friend got his done for £500 because he's on unemployment benefit and has children. I'll just keep putting it off until I'm either unemployed or a pensioner.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Budgeting is pretty simple but a lot of guidelines and advice for it is based around the assumption you're comfortably wealthy and your account isn't just a wormhole to your landlord

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Know what's dumb? Having problems with your credit history because you've never taken on debt

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Know what's dumb? Having problems with your credit history because you've never taken on debt

I agree, that is dumb. I think the credit history system is really hosed up and shouldn't exist in it's current form

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my credit history was established by my coworker definitely lying about my info and signing me up for the company credit card at my first job so she could make her quota

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

Budgeting is pretty simple but a lot of guidelines and advice for it is based around the assumption you're comfortably wealthy and your account isn't just a wormhole to your landlord

Yeah this is very true. Sounded like the other poster was decently well off though.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hai:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CYBEReris posted:

A big problem is a lot of times people get themselves into really lovely situations that are painfully hard to get out of because they didn't know how to budget in the first place. I moved into an apartment when I was 18 that cost me like 3/4ths of my income after utilities and I was stuck there for an entire year because losing the security deposit was just right out of the question (two months rent, which was basically the most money I had ever saved in my entire life). I couldn't find another job because I had to work like 60 hours a week to live (this was before online applications were a big thing). It was loving miserable. If someone had told me "hey, your rent shouldn't be more than half your income after expenses" it would have been really helpful.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I kind of had this problem when I was starting out because I have a fantastic credit score but don't have a lot of credit itself.

"You got one checking account and one credit card that you pay off every month."

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I discovered last year that you can't even make an account on the Social Security website without having a credit history. It trips the automated identity theft alarm. Also there's no way to talk to an actual person about it and the offices have been closed for months.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's a few good ways to start credit if you don't have any. If anyone seriously wants advice on any of this stuff you can PM me. If we're just bitching about it then I'd like toss out that requiring a credit score to rent an apartment is absolute bullshit and should be illegal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nameless Pete posted:

I discovered last year that you can't even make an account on the Social Security website without having a credit history. It trips the automated identity theft alarm. Also there's no way to talk to an actual person about it and the offices have been closed for months.

Have you tried recently? I had that problem and then just this month I was finally able to make an account and get a replacement card. I dunno if they changed policies but I certainly haven't become less sketchy.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The US credit score is so confusing to me. Credit rating in Sweden works like this: the company asking for a credit report pays a company for it. It contains:
Last three years taxable income I think
Other income they found
Current loan/debt balance
"Have they ever failed to pay hard enough that we know about it y/n"
And then a summary where it basically says "credit worthiness: good" unless the information above was bad.
Never had a loan? Doesn't say, doesn't affect it. Had loans that you paid off? Doesn't say, doesn't affect it.
You, the person asked about, get a copy of the report mailed to you, and it says who asked for it.
No score or rating based on hidden numbers, no way to game it, no getting penalized for not having needed loans before. And it's not used for everything at all times, haven't had one run on me by landlords or such.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fun fact: checking your credit score lowers your credit score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phosphine posted:

The US credit score is so confusing to me. Credit rating in Sweden works like this: the company asking for a credit report pays a company for it. It contains:
Last three years taxable income I think
Other income they found
Current loan/debt balance
"Have they ever failed to pay hard enough that we know about it y/n"
And then a summary where it basically says "credit worthiness: good" unless the information above was bad.
Never had a loan? Doesn't say, doesn't affect it. Had loans that you paid off? Doesn't say, doesn't affect it.
You, the person asked about, get a copy of the report mailed to you, and it says who asked for it.
No score or rating based on hidden numbers, no way to game it, no getting penalized for not having needed loans before. And it's not used for everything at all times, haven't had one run on me by landlords or such.

The only credit check in Finland is: does this person have credit? YES/NO