Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Antigravitas posted:

Btw., is Gove going to be the next PM once Bojo abdicates?

He’ll try, but one of the other contenders will speak his true name and banish him back to the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Antigravitas posted:

Why do they talk about a "EU ban" like something materially changed from the EU side? It's just a mechanistic consequence of a change in the UK's status.

Maybe those fishers should retrain to, idk, Cyber. Become phishers instead.

Propaganda is why.

They know it's horseshit, they HAVE to at this point.

But they can make people here believe it's true, and that's the important part.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Michael Gove is the highest-ranking shellfish in the government, so it only makes sense that he be the one to speak to the EU on shellfish matters

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Daily Star front page I happened to see when I went shopping:

Now THAT is cancel culture on that poor vicar (no idea what disrespect he showed as I didn't read the paper LOL)

Ed: found another article on what the vic did: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/reverend-slammed-clap-captain-tom-bishop-london-probe-b918661.html

Meanwhile:

It can be enormously frustrating dealing with people who don't understand about browsers and cookies:
Place I'm doing a bit of work for forwarded me their verification email so I could get into the site. Verification email was sent to them days ago. Naturally, I couldn't sign in to the site. So I emailed back and asked for the password. Response "it works for me ok" Me silently to myself: well that is because you signed in days ago and have stored the login details in your browser."

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 5, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If the rest of the front page is anything to go by, he probably said that Biblically ghosts are fallen angels sent to deceive man and not Sir Tom come back to sell mystery tours of grade 7 listed public toilet blocks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

If the rest of the front page is anything to go by, he probably said that Biblically ghosts are fallen angels sent to deceive man and not Sir Tom come back to sell mystery tours of grade 7 listed public toilet blocks.

He tweeted:

Reverend Robinson-Brown responded to the news by tweeting: “The cult of Captain Tom is a cult of White British Nationalism.
“I will offer prayers for the repose of his kind and generous soul, but I will not be joining the ‘National Clap’.”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

Oh my god this line from the shellfish article

Well he's closely related to the Crustacea subphylum so his words carry a lot of weight.

e: beaten of course :argh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

He tweeted:

Reverend Robinson-Brown responded to the news by tweeting: “The cult of Captain Tom is a cult of White British Nationalism.
“I will offer prayers for the repose of his kind and generous soul, but I will not be joining the ‘National Clap’.”

That's one of the most correct and sensible things I've ever seen a member of the clergy say.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's that line about not praying openly in the street like the pagans but pray to yourself because it's for god not other people?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

OwlFancier posted:

What's that line about not praying openly in the street like the pagans but pray to yourself because it's for god not other people?

Matthew 6:1, a classic.

In other news,

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/02/did-jackie-weaver-have-the-authority-the-law-and-policy-of-that-handforth-parish-council-meeting/

I have never clicked on a DAG dot com link faster

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

"Bedwetters and luvvies in race to score political points" is the most accurate description of Twitter discourse I've ever heard.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
On the subject of our wonderful national press

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1357687655673257985

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

"Bedwetters and luvvies in race to score political points" is the most accurate description of Twitter discourse I've ever heard.

What the gently caress is a luvvie?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"Bedwetters and luvvies?".

That's all I have to say. My brain can't even formulate a response. It's like trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. It's a level of desperate, pathetic infantilism that I have no ability to truly parse. You know how in Discworld nobody sees Death because their brains are compelled to ignore anything they can't grasp on an existential level? It feels like that. I can't comprehend the minds of these people.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I believe it originally just meant someone who works in a theatre, but British tabloids tend to apply it to vaguely liberal types (especially celebrities) regardless of profession.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally the only people who use it any more are newspapers but i think it means basically big mincing gays from the entertainment industry.

Except y'know, with deniability.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The fact that the Daily Star's "Thought for the day" is woooOOooooOOOooo tells you everything you need to know about that paper.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Entertainment industry bigwigs, particularly liberal gay ones who like name-dropping. Stephen Fry and Sandi Toksvig.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Much like the language the british press hasn't really moved on from the 90's, they just code things slightly differently.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It really does feel that for a lot of people in charge teh 90's never stopped. It's just the same old people in charge and refusing to change or grow in any way.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
SICKO LUVVIES SPEND YOUR TAX MONEY ON STEAMY ROMP IN LUXURY LOVE NEST, BOFFINS SAY

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The fact that the Daily Star's "Thought for the day" is woooOOooooOOOooo tells you everything you need to know about that paper.

Yet it has a daily circulation greater than the Graun and FT combined with all their fancy big words.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

SICKO LUVVIES SPEND YOUR TAX MONEY ON STEAMY ROMP IN LUXURY LOVE NEST, BOFFINS SAY

AND ONE OF THE TOTS LOOKED AT ME

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

AND ONE OF THE TOTS LOOKED AT ME
Remember when they spent a year terrified of paranormal children?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Extremely inefficient supply lines from the mainland there. Must be all that red tape!

I always thought that was meant to be a joke about the Germans going round in circles or something but no, that's actually the route the Nazis took during the Battle of France - that big detour is Army Group B, who mounted a fake attack on the Low Countries while Army Group A pushed through the Ardennes. After Dunkirk, B moved south to mop up the rest of the French forces, then after France surrendered they wandered over to Normandy to seize the rest of the Channel ports.

Ironically, that pissed-up arrow is the main reason why the Allies were defeated so easily. Allied planning had always been for the Germans to invade from the north through Holland and Belgium because the Maginot Line - the French fortifications along the German border - was considered impregnable, so all of their forces were concentrated in Belgium. When the Nazis did indeed invade the Netherlands, everyone patted themselves on the back and said it would all be over by Christmas, and when the French airforce noticed 10,000 tanks queuing up to go into the Ardennes, everyone ignored it because it would be *silly* to try and invade through such heavy forests...

(Obviously the lines aren't close to accurate geographically, the Germans invaded across a much narrower front, but conceptually it's one of the more accurate bits about that show)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Just realised that we are now going to get a weekend of parish council discourse, with some enormous forehead writing an article attacking the oppressive actions of Jackie Weaver

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Literally the only people who use it any more are newspapers but i think it means basically big mincing gays from the entertainment industry.

Except y'know, with deniability.

Was a term for narcissistic actors, thinking they were the best thing ever in theater and whole show revolved around them, usually by referencing other better actors.
And yeah, meaning changed over the years.
Similar as Diva, used to be an insult for annoying demanding opera singers and such, now almost a term of strength for being loud.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

OwlFancier posted:

Much like the language the british press hasn't really moved on from the 90's, they just code things slightly differently.

It would be nice if the British press moved on from the 1930s as well tbh

e:

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 5, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

happyhippy posted:

Was a term for narcissistic actors, thinking they were the best thing ever in theater and whole show revolved around them, usually by referencing other better actors.
And yeah, meaning changed over the years.
Similar as Diva, used to be an insult for annoying demanding opera singers and such, now almost a term of strength for being loud.

And Diva has gone full circle - it used to (like Prima Donna) refer to a revered opera singer, then went to mean 'demanding opera singer', and now it's gone back.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I wondered this for a long time because I kept seeing batshit commentators on daily mail articles using it and yes I think originally it meant 'effete liberal-ish talking out of touch theatre type' with the obvious barely hidden homophobic dogwhistle, but now it's mostly used entirely by weird tabloid writers to mean 'anyone liberal or on the left' which I think is almost certainly very deliberate because it still carries the implit 'weak little pretentious gayboy' subtext and lets them call left-wingers that in a way people understand without actually saying it explicitly.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Gary Lineker gets called a Loony Left Luvvie by the Press for the crime of Not Wanting To Burn Refugees Alive. In modern Gammon discourse it basically means anyone who doesn't cum tribute Lady Diana every morning.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

It's also supposedly a thing they (we) all call each other all the time, because theatre types are always praising each other to their faces (while slagging each other off behind their backs). Somewhat true, but nobody actually says Luvvie, any more than normal people say romp, tot or quiz.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

And Diva has gone full circle - it used to (like Prima Donna) refer to a revered opera singer, then went to mean 'demanding opera singer', and now it's gone back.

Isn't primadonna one of those terms that started out purely descriptive then got turned into a pejorative? Like it was literally just the word for the lead female singer in an opera company, but then they kept making outrageous requests like "can I actually get paid please?"

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I don't get the dear oh dear oh dear as that's a Chuckle Brothers reference (?) but the bedwetters and luvvies bit makes up for it. Almost as good as the Sunday Sport

https://twitter.com/thesundaysport/status/1357253781705138181

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I always thought that was meant to be a joke about the Germans going round in circles or something but no, that's actually the route the Nazis took during the Battle of France - that big detour is Army Group B, who mounted a fake attack on the Low Countries while Army Group A pushed through the Ardennes. After Dunkirk, B moved south to mop up the rest of the French forces, then after France surrendered they wandered over to Normandy to seize the rest of the Channel ports.

Ironically, that pissed-up arrow is the main reason why the Allies were defeated so easily. Allied planning had always been for the Germans to invade from the north through Holland and Belgium because the Maginot Line - the French fortifications along the German border - was considered impregnable, so all of their forces were concentrated in Belgium. When the Nazis did indeed invade the Netherlands, everyone patted themselves on the back and said it would all be over by Christmas, and when the French airforce noticed 10,000 tanks queuing up to go into the Ardennes, everyone ignored it because it would be *silly* to try and invade through such heavy forests...

(Obviously the lines aren't close to accurate geographically, the Germans invaded across a much narrower front, but conceptually it's one of the more accurate bits about that show)

That's super interesting, thanks. I was taught in high school that the reason the German invasion of France went so well is that they built the Maginot line, patted themselves on the back, and then were completely blindsided when the Germans just ignored it and invaded through the Netherlands/Belgium. I haven't had any reason to ever apply even the smallest amount of critical thinking to the subject so it's just something that has sat in the back of my brain for over a decade for absolutely no reason, despite it being really really loving stupid. Obviously the French would notice if the Germans invaded Belgium/the Netherlands, and people in the 30s weren't much dumber than they are today, they definitely would have prepared for that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

people in the 30s weren't much dumber than they are today
If anything that means there'd definitely be a faction laughing at Belgium and the Netherlands getting invaded and forgetting there's a shared border.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

If anything that means there'd definitely be a faction laughing at Belgium and the Netherlands getting invaded and forgetting there's a shared border.

Wouldn't surprise me. The UK probably had a few of those as well, not to mention the 'Actually the nazis are pretty great' crowd, so roughly the same as today as well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

justcola posted:

I don't get the dear oh dear oh dear as that's a Chuckle Brothers reference (?) but the bedwetters and luvvies bit makes up for it. Almost as good as the Sunday Sport

https://twitter.com/thesundaysport/status/1357253781705138181

There was a really good documentary in the "Inside the Factory" series on the other night about how Heinz can their beans.

It's on BBC iplayer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000jr6y/inside-the-factory-keeping-britain-going-baked-beans-update but it was showing on Smithsonian Channel.

Making the cans was very interesting. And they boil the beans up inside the cans! So they'd have to completely change processes to freeze them (presumably in plastic pots).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

That's super interesting, thanks. I was taught in high school that the reason the German invasion of France went so well is that they built the Maginot line, patted themselves on the back, and then were completely blindsided when the Germans just ignored it and invaded through the Netherlands/Belgium. I haven't had any reason to ever apply even the smallest amount of critical thinking to the subject so it's just something that has sat in the back of my brain for over a decade for absolutely no reason, despite it being really really loving stupid. Obviously the French would notice if the Germans invaded Belgium/the Netherlands, and people in the 30s weren't much dumber than they are today, they definitely would have prepared for that.

In one of the Welsh towns, there's a bridge over the river with an old gatehouse on it (from 11th or 12th century IIRC).
Legend has it that back in the year dot one army (Glendwyr's I think) came to invade the town and the townsfolk thought the bridge and gatehouse would prevent them. But the river is quite shallow and apparently the invading army just went a few yards down river and crossed through the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Bobstar posted:

It's also supposedly a thing they (we) all call each other all the time, because theatre types are always praising each other to their faces (while slagging each other off behind their backs). Somewhat true, but nobody actually says Luvvie, any more than normal people say romp, tot or quiz.

Hm? I didn't realize 'quiz' was somehow a poor word?