Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Is this the world's largest self-powered fidget spinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Elaborate Pez dispenser cosplay.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/akX4kaL.gifv

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The vertical bandsaw is the safest of all power saws and if you feel otherwise you're doing something severely wrong with it.

I will reserve my existential terror for the gear lathe.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yea bandsaw are really pretty predictable if they frighten you badly maybe a wood shop isn't for you.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I had a woodshop class in middle school (wtf) where they taught us how to safely use all of the machines, including the table saw. It had a thick piece of painted wood behind it full of dents from kickbacks, but at least it had a push block! The bandsaw was the least scary of all the machines to me.

I am so amazed no one managed to injure themselves in that class considering how little some people cared about paying attention or safety when they're 11 years old lol. If I had kids today I dunno if I would even let them take that class. They tore down and rebuilt that school the next year so idk if they rebuilt the woodshop.

I made a chessboard and a cutting board in the shape of a pig. It was neat!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I was in high school I took a shop class for nerds, something offered at the local vocational school that was directed at gifted students. We had to create a product, make it and sell it. In the 6 or 8 weeks of the class, we had three students go to the ER. 1 drill press into a finger, one webbing between thumb and forefinger cut with a bandsaw, and one piece of wood into a thigh from a kickback from the planer. But we all got to split the profits from our sales, so I made like $80.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

What hath science wrought!?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

The vertical bandsaw is the safest of all power saws and if you feel otherwise you're doing something severely wrong with it.

I will reserve my existential terror for the gear lathe.

What about handheld bandsaw?

edit - Adam Savage again. I think there's another one out there with him sitting cross legged on the floor band sawing something in his lap.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 5, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Use a vise and recognize that the handles are offset to one side for a reason and you'll be fine

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Ah, the motor bike mating ritual, isn't nature beautiful.

Also, how do these things not have dead man switches? One of these days they're going to finally get to Mike and take him out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Did those 'fingat saver' circular saw devices that destructively halt the blade in a split-second ever become generally available? Or is the occasional careless finger cheaper than replacing the saw mechanism?

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYLAi4jwXcs&t=139s

Sawstops are quite popular these days. Obviously the safety features are paramount, but they're actually great quality and incredibly well built power tools as well.

The only real downside I've heard about them is if you cut damp wood, that can set off the safety brake unintentionally.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FogHelmut posted:

What about handheld bandsaw?

edit - Adam Savage again. I think there's another one out there with him sitting cross legged on the floor band sawing something in his lap.

Holy poo poo lmao.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I had a woodshop class in middle school (wtf) where they taught us how to safely use all of the machines, including the table saw.

Same! Minus the table saw. We also had a metal shop that taught us that using snips sucks and included a spot welder. Both classes, plus cooking, sewing, and drafting (by hand, in the early 90's, WTF, that has never been useful and I've become an engineer who does drafting all the time) were mandatory.

I had a table saw on my wish list and my parents "got it for me" for Xmas, but bought me a miter saw instead, somehow. I've not really used a table saw so don't really have an innate fear of them, but they seem really useful so I want one. But from all the warnings I've been hearing, I'll get by with the miter saw and a few other hand held tools as long as I can. I need to build a guide for my circular saw so I can actually make a straight cut.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The only real downside I've heard about them is if you cut damp wood, that can set off the safety brake unintentionally.

This is true, but you can test it (by holding the piece against the blade while it's not moving) and tell by the lights whether it will trip or not. If you're concerned that maybe it has a damp core, you can cut it in bypass mode, but then the safety mechanism is disabled so you're back to a normal table saw.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Sheet metal shears scare me the most, so many of them out there are from the 50s or older and have no safety considerations in their design. Had a coworker lose his finger in one after having done tons of sheet metal for years, I always place my hands behind my back when I've got the piece secured now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Dirk the Average posted:

Is this the world's largest self-powered fidget spinner?

That was the idea, yeah https://youtu.be/EUHe5sNpiVE

Uthor posted:

Same! Minus the table saw. We also had a metal shop that taught us that using snips sucks and included a spot welder. Both classes, plus cooking, sewing, and drafting (by hand, in the early 90's, WTF, that has never been useful and I've become an engineer who does drafting all the time) were mandatory.

I had a table saw on my wish list and my parents "got it for me" for Xmas, but bought me a miter saw instead, somehow. I've not really used a table saw so don't really have an innate fear of them, but they seem really useful so I want one. But from all the warnings I've been hearing, I'll get by with the miter saw and a few other hand held tools as long as I can. I need to build a guide for my circular saw so I can actually make a straight cut.

A piece of square tube or angle iron and a couple clamps works well, they also make prefab aluminium guides just for this purpose (I don't like their cleaning method though) or go all out and get the Kreg accu-cut

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Elviscat posted:

A piece of square tube or angle iron and a couple clamps works well, they also make prefab aluminium guides just for this purpose (I don't like their cleaning method though) or go all out and get the Kreg accu-cut

I bought some AL angle, but it was too flexible to stay straight during a long cut. Plus, I still had to do math to figure out where to place it relative to the cut line for the saw to ride along the guide while putting the blade in the correct spot.

I'm going to make one of these next time I need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68v9JlSM6OQ

You just line up the slit in the guide with the line you wanna cut and everything else lines up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Turning on the sound is essential for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtxy1_bI5Y&t=3s

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Uthor posted:

I bought some AL angle, but it was too flexible to stay straight during a long cut. Plus, I still had to do math to figure out where to place it relative to the cut line for the saw to ride along the guide while putting the blade in the correct spot.

I'm going to make one of these next time I need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68v9JlSM6OQ

You just line up the slit in the guide with the line you wanna cut and everything else lines up.

I'm planning on making this simple guide this weekend, you just make the width to where the blade is and line it up on your cut.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/a3602/4283497/

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ah, the Isle of Mann model is coming along nicely.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

FCKGW posted:

I'm planning on making this simple guide this weekend, you just make the width to where the blade is and line it up on your cut.

Got one like that too, very effective.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It's not gory or anything but good christ that guy has to be in the hospital and it just gives me the oogies watching the big wet smack straight to his face

It's not actually clear trying to step frame by frame whether or not the helmet was the only thing that got knocked off him.

:staredog:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Phanatic posted:

Turning on the sound is essential for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtxy1_bI5Y&t=3s

This is amazing and made me chuckle heartily. Pro click

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I had issues with my saw drifting away from the 2x4 I was using as a guide, so like the idea of it being "trapped" by guides on both sides.

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
Had a little truck-fuckling in WV yesterday morning

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Capisano posted:

Had a little truck-fuckling in WV yesterday morning

My great grandfather died from a log falling off a timber truck in the 1960s. I never get close to trucks with loads like that for fear of a similar fate.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

LifeSunDeath posted:

My great grandfather died from a log falling off a timber truck in the 1960s. I never get close to trucks with loads like that for fear of a similar fate.

I had a GF in college that was following behind a truck with a similar pipe load, or perhaps it was rebar, some type of thinner metal rods/pipe; load came loose and 4-5 shot straight through her windshield narrowly missing her face. Every time I'm near any truck with a load like that, I make sure to get the gently caress away.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Sheet metal shears scare me the most, so many of them out there are from the 50s or older and have no safety considerations in their design. Had a coworker lose his finger in one after having done tons of sheet metal for years, I always place my hands behind my back when I've got the piece secured now.

Thinking about it, honestly the most frequently encountered shop injury in my career has been people bonking themselves on the head with arbor press handles.

The silent stunner...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/H08kGbr.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that might be an RC truck.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

mrmcd posted:

It's not actually clear trying to step frame by frame whether or not the helmet was the only thing that got knocked off him.

:staredog:

North american rescue posted that a while ago and I am pretty sure someone in the comments posted that the guy died

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/alob_e/status/1357678739635789824?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/sL27ObS.gifv

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Entering an excavation alone with no safety gear, not good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Forbidden silly string

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

haveblue posted:

Entering an excavation alone with no safety gear, not good

Always bend your knees when lifting a truck.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Marcade posted:

Ah, the Isle of Mann model is coming along nicely.

So that's what they mean by Manx wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010