Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/baalbuddy/status/1357270757726953472?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

its cool how you get to see yokos tits in the second movie
I don't remember that...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The_Doctor posted:

My housemate made the statement last night that Panty and Stocking was the first ‘wacky’ over the top anime, which is patently false, but I don’t know enough animoos to say that’s clearly not the case.

Urusei Yatsura started in 1978

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lum-chan....

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

homeless snail posted:

I don't remember that...

isn't everyone naked when they do the spiral energy teamup

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Its thursday I think, anime @ 8pm eastern. Healin Good Precure's doing some stuff, probably just one episode of Mahoujin Guru Guru because of: the extra long finale of Banner of the Stars II!!
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Space Flower posted:

too busy pumping my fist to notice

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Space Flower posted:

it's when they're doing speeches inside the STTGL, yeah

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anime.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gurren Lagann has a really specific question to answer and while I enjoy it, I've since found better stuff that answers said question.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

What is anime?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
A miserable pile of wackiness.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think gurren has to be in competition with other mecha anime i think it can just be. a good mecha anime that exists. with unique aesthetics and fun characters. it's not my favorite ever but i still appreciate parts of it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Huzzah! posted:

What is anime?

This isn't an anime

HONTO NO KOTO SA

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Wark Say posted:

Gurren Lagann has a really specific question to answer and while I enjoy it, I've since found better stuff that answers said question.
What question? What stuff?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1357532676421545984?s=19

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Part of Gurren Lagan charm is it got amazing energy that carries the show when you first watch it. But on rewatch that energy can't hide some of the weaknesses though in the end its still fun

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nendo splooge effect part

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
losing my poo poo at how crossbone gundam introduces a random old man who tries to strangle the main character to death at the start and then gets sucked out an airlock, only to have him turn out to be a recurring jrpg boss who keeps getting cutscene victories every time they beat him in a fight afterward

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxw4Y8qzq4w

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Crossbone anime never

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So I've recently been enjoying some of the Doraemon movies with my kid, and I have to wonder: why do they get almost no love from anyone? They don't get official re-releases in the US, or any attention from fansubbers. If you can even find english subs at all they often read like some unholy combination of Google translate, ESL, and engrish. But the movies are really good family movies! Doraemon: Nobita and the Steel Troops was even touching.

Is it just that they're so very Japanese, and have almost no fanservice and are so wholesome? That's why I like them. :(

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Imagined posted:

So I've recently been enjoying some of the Doraemon movies with my kid, and I have to wonder: why do they get almost no love from anyone? They don't get official re-releases in the US, or any attention from fansubbers. If you can even find english subs at all they often read like some unholy combination of Google translate, ESL, and engrish. But the movies are really good family movies! Doraemon: Nobita and the Steel Troops was even touching.

Is it just that they're so very Japanese, and have almost no fanservice and are so wholesome? That's why I like them. :(

Not much of the very family focused classics gets translates, especially the more long running ones.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Not much of the very family focused classics gets translates, especially the more long running ones.

I do get it with the 9,000 mundane slice-of-life episodes of the Doraemon TV show, but the movies are much more self-contained and fantasy/sci-fi adventure movies.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I forget who..I think maybe Disney? Tried localizing the series at one point. Maybe it didn't do as well as they expected so no one bothers anymore

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was a dub of one of the more recent incarnations of the series on Disney XD, yeah. There was also a Story of Seasons crossover game that got an English release for some reason.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

There was a dub of one of the more recent incarnations of the series on Disney XD, yeah. There was also a Story of Seasons crossover game that got an English release for some reason.

Yeah, I remember reading about that because they did some goofy localization on it like replacing ramen with burgers, and a first aid kit with... pizza? Because Americans don't understand noodles, and substitute fast food for health care. Wait, maybe they've got a point on that last one...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I'm still kinda surprised there hasn't been a recreational/competitive fishing anime

That said, gently caress Bob Izumi.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm still kinda surprised there hasn't been a recreational/competitive fishing anime

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Which streaming platform? CR and Funimation coming up blank.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Which streaming platform? CR and Funimation coming up blank.

Should be on Funi - try "Diary Of Our Days At The Breakwater"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Should be on Funi - try "Diary Of Our Days At The Breakwater"

That worked. "Sea Horizon" gave me nothing.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's also Tsuritama which is really good

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Facetious posted:

That said, gently caress Bob Izumi.

There was one for some gacha game that was apparently horrible, iirc. :shrug:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pretty sure there’s been a bunch of fishing anime over the years though I’ve never actually watched any of it myself.

Not sure if there’s ever been a shounen-style competitive one but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fisherman sanpei literally ran for 80 years, people

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
it's been over a decade since the most recent Legend of the River King game. Now that's hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Can't wait to heal as Gundam in new FFXIV expansion pack