Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

lol wanda knows exactly what she's doing and who she's hurting and she doesn't care. she'd burn the world to the ground if it meant she could continue to play house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, we'll see what else they have in store here.

Here is the quote:

quote:

In a recent interview with TVLine, when asked if WandaVision would also have its own Luke Skywalker moment, lead star Elizabeth Olsen quickly answered “Yes,” revealing the she’s “really excited” for fans to see it soon. Understandably, she wasn’t able to give out further details about it but head writer Jac Schaeffer did confirm that fans should expect to see more surprises in the upcoming episodes.

“There are so many surprises left in store [for the five remaining episodes],” Schaeffer said. “I encourage all fans to settle in, because there’s more coming,”

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:lol: at the suicidal dog that taught the family a valuable lesson through hypocritical parenting.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, we'll see what else they have in store here.

Here is the quote:

Let us all hold hands and together wish for Fassbender.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I like to think that recast Pietro is just literally Evan Peters who happened to be hanging around New Jersey. I think he's just a guy, and this is a cheeky meta-joke, he's not literally from the Fox X-Men Universe.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
So MCU Monica Rambeau gets her superpowers from exposure to Wanda, right? They didn't give it more than a 10 second glance, but her head is full of light, probably due to a super-dose of cosmic radiation from close contact with/direct control by Wanda. The power to bring a dead Vision back to life and recreate a personality and consciousness reminiscent of his own could surely have the powers to create massive changes in other people. Hell, maybe alternate-universe Evan Peters was sent by Xavier to investigate this, since it surely wasn't Wanda's doing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Firebert posted:

So MCU Monica Rambeau gets her superpowers from exposure to Wanda, right? They didn't give it more than a 10 second glance, but her head is full of light, probably due to a super-dose of cosmic radiation from close contact with/direct control by Wanda. The power to bring a dead Vision back to life and recreate a personality and consciousness reminiscent of his own could surely have the powers to create massive changes in other people. Hell, maybe alternate-universe Evan Peters was sent by Xavier to investigate this, since it surely wasn't Wanda's doing.

That would explain why she got back weird results from her medical examination after getting out of the town. The whole cosmic background microwave radiation thing may explain why her powers are based on parts of the electromagnetic spectrum too. Plus, we know she's trying to find a safe way in by building some huge vehicle that'll have multiple types of shielding that will theoretically work on the town's shielding. Maybe interaction with that, especially if it fails due to Wanda's rejiggering of the protection around the town will be what activates Monica's powers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
very glad that the plot is finally moving in full gear now that it can go back and forth between the sitcom world and the MCU proper. Not so glad that the "real world" plot is still mainly people in a high-tech government facility discussing what's going on in Westview, which doesn't make for terribly compelling drama.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, to be fair, they are setting up a conflict between Monica and Heyward over how to handle everything that's happening, with Heyward having pretty much all of SWORD on his side, while Monica has D'arcy and Jimmy. It's very cliche, and not terribly compelling but it is there. There'll probably be some kind of drama around Monica's powers in the last episode or two too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

QuoProQuid posted:

lol wanda knows exactly what she's doing and who she's hurting and she doesn't care. she'd burn the world to the ground if it meant she could continue to play house.

I'm sure there are other forces at work here, but I would be 100% on board with Wanda being the big bad of Phase Four.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was probably the best episode yet.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Oof yeah, they kinda lost me with episode 4 overexplaining all the mysteries, but this episode brought me right back in. Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen even got to do some Acting with a capital A, a rare event in the MCU.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's also really cool about all the multiverse prospects is that we're not just getting a reason to introduce X-Men and F4, but there's a perfect in-universe excuse to bring in any actor from the Netflix shows, or the network shows, or literally any other property.

It'd be fun as hell to have a Mojoworld series where they could get all kinds of fun cameos for one episode each. Kinda want to see a Lundgren/Jane/Stevenson/Bernthal Punisher battle royale.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

And the upside to that too is I think most actors would relish the chance to get to be in those moments.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing about the multiverse thing is that while it means story wise they could import the whole X-Men cast into the MCU if they wanted to- logistically getting a bunch of actors who are now out of contract and a major star [jackman] who did a very definite "getting old and hanging up the role now" movie after 8 movies doesn't seem likely. So I doubt thats the direction they're going in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Retrowave Joe posted:

And the upside to that too is I think most actors would relish the chance to get to be in those moments.

You know if he was still alive Adam West would've been side by side Burt Ward in CW's Crisis crossover.

Phylodox posted:

Hey, 80s fashion sure was a mess, wasn’t it?

It was AWESOME. Give me bright colors and suspenders over JNCO's and Sketchers any day. (I was a child of the 80s)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So far the only "this is MCU but on a TV budget" thing for me was Vision floating during his argument with Wanda. For some reason it just looked like a cheap effect. But maybe it also had something to do with the fact that it was happening inside an 80s sitcom set which gave it a weird look too.

To be clear it wasn't dumb or out of place or anything, the FX just looked somewhat rough.

It's a shame they're doing family based sitcoms because I'd love to see the Wanda take on Frasier next, even though there's no way they'd be able to cram it into the structure. Or comedy Seinfeld option.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 5, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I don't recall having any strong feelings about Darcy in the first two Thors, but honestly I think she sucks here. I think that's less on Dennings and more on the script tasking her with delivering so much exposition, as opposed to the wacky-sidekick role she previously played

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 5, 2021

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Martytoof posted:

So far the only "this is MCU but on a TV budget" thing for me was Vision floating during his argument with Wanda. For some reason it just looked like a cheap effect. But maybe it also had something to do with the fact that it was happening inside an 80s sitcom set which gave it a weird look too.

I'm 90% sure the effects are supposed to look cheap there (in that stand-off).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man i didn’t even make the connection of Monica whiting out the scan. She’s been changed.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
One thing should be clear from this episode for people theorizing about what's to come.

The episode goes out of its way several times to point out that Wanda can't control her kids. Then she tells her sons about how she has a brother who lives far away and how it makes her sad. Then she tells them that they can't bring back the dead. Then new Pietro shows up at the door as her long lost brother. The twins created him and Peters is just the guy they're using. Casting him is (like someone mentioned earlier) a cheeky wink at audiences about the Fox/Disney crossover.

What remains up in the air is whether or not there's a bigger bad responsible for the situation. Wanda made it sound like she was not the person who created all of this, more like she discovered a resource and is taking over/advantage of it. That could line up with the predictions of Mephisto becoming the next big bad either in the new Doctor Strange movie or the next MCU phase(s).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Firebert posted:

In the last episode it already said "Photon" on her nameplate at SWORD so maybe she's already got powers and is just keeping them on the downlow.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 5, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MoaM posted:

I'm 90% sure the effects are supposed to look cheap there (in that stand-off).

I don’t think they are. Otherwise Wanda’s magic would have looked cheap, too. I think what we’re reacting to is seeing these special effects in the context of sit-com cinematography; everything is evenly lit, no depth of field, shot with cheap video cameras instead of film or digital, etc.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Necrothatcher posted:

In the last episode it already said "Photon" on her nameplate at SWORD so maybe she's already got powers and is just keeping them on the downlow.

That was her mother's memorial nameplate.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Necrothatcher posted:

In the last episode it already said "Photon" on her nameplate at SWORD so maybe she's already got powers and is just keeping tem on the downlow.

Photon is presumably just a callsign, if she served as a pilot at any point like her mom. Or just on missions in general, I suppose. She's had a half dozen different hero names at this point anyway. Photon, Spectrum, Captain Marvel, Pulsar etc. I think Spectrum is more likely to be her name in the MCU if she gets powers here, but purely because this show is leaning on electromagnetic stuff to explain what's going on and if she gets powers here then they'd presumably take that cue.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

So, the Lagos paper towel advert. Any specific reference there I'm missing?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Laughing Zealot posted:

It's the city where Wanda had a whoopsie that caused the Sokovia Accords. The ad is one giant reference to that.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

Just continuing the trend of each advert being a reference to a traumatic point in Wanda's life. It was in Lagos that Wanda accidentally kills Wakandan bystanders in an office building while trying to save Cap and a crowd of civilians in the market at the start of CA: Civil War.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Laughing Zealot posted:

That’s where Wanda blows up the Embassy and starts the whole Civil War mess

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Laughing Zealot posted:

It was the opening sequence of Civil War, where attempting to prevent an explosion, Wanda inadvertently caused one that killed dozens of Wakandans.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wasn't Lagos where the opening scene of CA: Civil War took place?

Cleaning up the mess etc.

edit: beaten by a country mile

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Laughing Zealot posted:

The part in Civil War where they are working in Nigeria against Crossbones. She ends up killing a bunch of people inadvertently. Hence the "Mess you can't clean up" narration.

Edit: Jesus, beaten like six times.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I thought the Wakandans were killed in the UN blast by Zemo, and the Lagosian(?) civilians were the only casualties from Wanda?

Ghost edit: nope, 11 Wakandans were killed, which is why T'Chaka was at the UN to begin with.

I dont have to guess at my own memories anymore when i can just pull up the movie on my phone. Thanks, Disney+

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Laughing Zealot posted:

Lagos is where Logan and Team X go on their first mission.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Laughing Zealot posted:

In addition to what's been stated, I've seen the idea that each commercial is linked to a different Infinity Stone.

Toaster: (forgot the explanation for this one)
Watch: Time Stone, natch
Soap: Space Stone due to resembling the Tesseract
Paper Towels: Reality Stone, as it's used to clean up a red liquid

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh gently caress yes, the best X-man is back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NefSYpuIRoY

This show is giving me everything I want.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Simulation883 posted:

Also, during the scene in the "real world," Wanda's accent came back slightly, right? I wasn't imagining that?

it’s tough to tell because Olsen clearly struggles with doing a vaguely Eastern European accent, but yeah, she was doing it. It’s way too serious and important of a scene to be a tongue in cheek joke about her randomly applied accent- it’s definitely a deliberate decision.

I definitely think the Wanda we see in that scene is not the same Wanda we’re seeing in the rest of the show - either a totally different person or someone or something that has temporarily taken control of her (probably Agnes)

ChadSexington fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 5, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Baby Vision got big laughs from me. Anyone know if that was the Lopez's themselves singing the theme song this week?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
On a very superficial note, Bettany is made of legs and fills his trousers out nicely.

I think there is a head and heart divide going on with Wanda she seems as surprised as anyone about certain things that happen. is there any bad guy who is desire / dream / wish motivated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

justlikedunkirk posted:

One thing should be clear from this episode for people theorizing about what's to come.

The episode goes out of its way several times to point out that Wanda can't control her kids. Then she tells her sons about how she has a brother who lives far away and how it makes her sad. Then she tells them that they can't bring back the dead. Then new Pietro shows up at the door as her long lost brother. The twins created him and Peters is just the guy they're using. Casting him is (like someone mentioned earlier) a cheeky wink at audiences about the Fox/Disney crossover.

While this is true, they've also established that things that come out of the hex are real, so if Pietro Mk.II comes out of the bubble, then ostensibly he's real too.