Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to install two mods: Convenient Clock (which just adds a date and time above the compass, I like it) and the Loading screen one (even though the games loads so fast I can barely see it but still the tips are useful sometimes?). If I increase the timer then it just annoys me. Wish you could enter a floating point value instead of just integers for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Nope, first I've heard of it. I have no mods on. I tried out DREAM but didn't like how it turned out.

Are you sure it was the same inn, and not a different one? They specify which one. If it really is the same inn, I’d guess possibly it only triggers if you leave and come back in to load that interior.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

Are you sure it was the same inn, and not a different one? They specify which one. If it really is the same inn, I’d guess possibly it only triggers if you leave and come back in to load that interior.

It was the same inn yeah, I even reloaded the save to check:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Huh, I've never once gotten that quest, but there it is plain as day on UESP.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Why the hell Isle of Balfiera not have an outline around it on the travel map? I was looking for it and didn't think to check it cause it wasn't outlined :cripes:

I installed 2 more QoL mods: World tooltips (extremely helpful and useful, kinda reminds me of Morrowind) and Readied Spellcasting Hands, another must-have, especially if you are a magic-centric character. Sometimes I had a spell ready and would use it accidentally but not anymore!

edit: Mod idea, what if you could use "Find" in the travel map even before you click on a region? I think that would be really nice

edit 2: Inventory filter is a great QoL mod too

edit 3: Daedra lords are BUFF AF

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 2, 2021

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I left PC gaming in 2004-2005ish and sort of stopped playing anything really... (I think my last GPU was a 6800GT) so besides some PS3/PS4 stuff here and there, I never was much of a videogames player. Come 2020 and all its lovely glory (and being cooped up in my house) I decided to build a cheap rear end gaming PC and play whatever stuff I missed from the 2000's. So a cheap Lenovo iCore 5 desktop and a friend-sourced GTX1650 later and I finally I have a cheap rig for all my needs.

Console wise I've been slowly working my way up to the PS2 classics (Ace Combats, Resident Evils, etc) and finally got to PC, which means... Yes, I have NEVER played ANY Elder Scrolls games, so that means I get to play Skyrim!. Got the one on steam and resisted the mod siren's song as to avoid intentionally loving up my play-trough, here are few notes:

- For a sort of an old game, it looks REALLY nice unmoded, I find myself admiring the scenery, the colors, the atmosphere. Even coming from playing Cyberpunk (yeah, new stuff as well) I find myself getting lost in the world, I can't image what this must've been like in 2011-2012.

- What? What do you mean It's been 4 hours? I just started!

- Skyrim memes finally makes sense, I finally get the whole Talos stuff.

- I *Just* started the Dark Brotherhood questline and I'm loving the absurdity of it all.

- The Dragonborn dungeons kicked my rear end, since I didn't know which quests are expansions or which are core games, I sometimes find myself lost in these places! I love it... I have no idea where to go and just... go with the flow.

drat it, I just want to keep playing... in fact.. lemme do that now.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Don't mind my Daggerfall posts, but jesus christ I have to vent about this game. I got a random quest from an NPC to kill an Orc Shaman for a measly 1k and I was like "sure why not".

Then I enter the dungeon and it's filled with Fire Daedras and Daedra Lords. I stumble upon the orc after a bit and then discover a daedra lord, a mage, and the quest orc (he was fighting them from inside a JAIL CELL mind you).

The orc gets killed by them and I complete the objective. Wtf even is this game

Sorry about the successive posts but this game is something else

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Don't mind my Daggerfall posts, but jesus christ I have to vent about this game. I got a random quest from an NPC to kill an Orc Shaman for a measly 1k and I was like "sure why not".

Then I enter the dungeon and it's filled with Fire Daedras and Daedra Lords. I stumble upon the orc after a bit and then discover a daedra lord, a mage, and the quest orc (he was fighting them from inside a JAIL CELL mind you).

The orc gets killed by them and I complete the objective. Wtf even is this game

Sorry about the successive posts but this game is something else

No need to apologize--I already know Daggerfall is too janky for me, even after playing Morrowind for a decade and a half at this point. I like hearing about it from others.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
my favorite daggerfall moment was when some piece of poo poo i met in a tavern for a simple rat killing quest said "HAHA IM ACTUALLY YOUR *MORTAL ENEMY* and started attacking me. I said "lol ok" but then they teleported me to a gently caress-dungeon in the middle of nowhere.

Six days later, I walked to that fucker's house and stabbed them to death while they tried and failed to silence me.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm doing the MQ for the first time, and I'm on the quest from the king of worms to go gently caress up a lich. Get all the way past the stupid lever puzzles etc, get to the lich and realize I can't hit him because my sword is only dwarven. Welp, that's why we have hard saves from before starting quests. Also I guess Unity updates the 'kill the werewolf' quest, because I found a journal piece that led me to a witch, who was nice enough to turn the guy back into a human and show me where Coven on the Bluff was, so maybe I'll go do some quests for them until someone drops a mithril longsword and get myself a daedra summoning discount.

edit: wandered into a dungeon that was entirely populated by sorcerers, nymphs, and flame atronachs. Finally something on theme. Also nymphs and atronachs fight and a nymph wins about half the time based on my observations from the end of the hallway

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 2, 2021

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

mulligan posted:

I left PC gaming in 2004-2005ish and sort of stopped playing anything really... (I think my last GPU was a 6800GT) so besides some PS3/PS4 stuff here and there, I never was much of a videogames player. Come 2020 and all its lovely glory (and being cooped up in my house) I decided to build a cheap rear end gaming PC and play whatever stuff I missed from the 2000's. So a cheap Lenovo iCore 5 desktop and a friend-sourced GTX1650 later and I finally I have a cheap rig for all my needs.

Console wise I've been slowly working my way up to the PS2 classics (Ace Combats, Resident Evils, etc) and finally got to PC, which means... Yes, I have NEVER played ANY Elder Scrolls games, so that means I get to play Skyrim!. Got the one on steam and resisted the mod siren's song as to avoid intentionally loving up my play-trough, here are few notes:

- For a sort of an old game, it looks REALLY nice unmoded, I find myself admiring the scenery, the colors, the atmosphere. Even coming from playing Cyberpunk (yeah, new stuff as well) I find myself getting lost in the world, I can't image what this must've been like in 2011-2012.

- What? What do you mean It's been 4 hours? I just started!

- Skyrim memes finally makes sense, I finally get the whole Talos stuff.

- I *Just* started the Dark Brotherhood questline and I'm loving the absurdity of it all.

- The Dragonborn dungeons kicked my rear end, since I didn't know which quests are expansions or which are core games, I sometimes find myself lost in these places! I love it... I have no idea where to go and just... go with the flow.

drat it, I just want to keep playing... in fact.. lemme do that now.

Please keep posting more of this! It's fun and interesting to hear the takes of a first timer. I wish I could play these games for the first time again.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Lol the ability to refuse main quests in Daggerfall is hosed up, if you refuse do they ever come up again or are you just locked out of beating the game?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Lol the ability to refuse main quests in Daggerfall is hosed up, if you refuse do they ever come up again or are you just locked out of beating the game?

What do you think

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Daggerfall!!!

It's hosed up cause some NPCs don't even look like they're part of a main quest and just seem like a random one. Cyndassa is a good example, if I'd never checked the wiki I'd never know that her quest is actually part of the main ones.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So I got this weird message when an orc suddenly attacked me (inside Sentinel castle btw):

Anyone know what this is about? I searched everywhere on the map for this place and tried to talk to NPCs and couldn't find anything about it on UESP as well. These kinds of messages are weird cause they don't show up in any of your logs so it's terrible when you forget some important piece of information on them or just accidentally skip them. They should be kept in the messages log at least imo (the one where stat messages are kept).

In other news I bought a small house right in the center of Daggerfall, near shops. It's a small house, but it's home :unsmith:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Big Scary Owl posted:

So I got this weird message when an orc suddenly attacked me (inside Sentinel castle btw):

Anyone know what this is about? I searched everywhere on the map for this place and tried to talk to NPCs and couldn't find anything about it on UESP as well. These kinds of messages are weird cause they don't show up in any of your logs so it's terrible when you forget some important piece of information on them or just accidentally skip them. They should be kept in the messages log at least imo (the one where stat messages are kept).

In other news I bought a small house right in the center of Daggerfall, near shops. It's a small house, but it's home :unsmith:
It's part of a quest and it's not a location, but a randomly generated name of a contact
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Business_with_Orcs#Running_the_Gauntlet

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

It's part of a quest and it's not a location, but a randomly generated name of a contact
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Business_with_Orcs#Running_the_Gauntlet

Thank you very much! I checked the finished quest log and turns out that I had already completed the quest when the orc showed up, which was why I couldn't ask people about the person the orc said and I got confused. That was strange.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Big Scary Owl posted:

Thank you very much! I checked the finished quest log and turns out that I had already completed the quest when the orc showed up, which was why I couldn't ask people about the person the orc said and I got confused. That was strange.
That's Daggerfall! :v:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

mulligan posted:

If its skyrim SE, it did recieve a graphics overhaul. that said, post more reflections on your experience please!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Did they ever fix the sounds being awful in the SE?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

John F Bennett posted:

Please keep posting more of this! It's fun and interesting to hear the takes of a first timer. I wish I could play these games for the first time again.

For fun, I jsut found out last week that you can actually murder Astrid and get a quest to exterminate the Dark Brotherhood, which blew my mind. I have like 600 hours on this game split between editions

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

poisonpill posted:

Did they ever fix the sounds being awful in the SE?

I’ve never heard of this and it seems fine for me?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never heard of this and it seems fine for me?

That issue got fixed pretty fast, the audio quality used to be bad at release due to overly compressed sound files.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This line got me confused for a bit:

I didn't actually know there were inns that were a separate location on the map that you could travel to.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fame Douglas posted:

That issue got fixed pretty fast, the audio quality used to be bad at release due to overly compressed sound files.

Ah ok, cool! I didn’t play the SE right when it came out because I already had 1000+ hours in the original, so I suppose when I did it was fixed. Thanks!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Daggerchat: I've been through like 10 dungeons, including reps of ones with a good number of human enemies, and I'm up 2 mithril armor pieces, but no usable mithril weapons. I'm never going to kill that drat lich in Sentinal.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Daggerchat: I've been through like 10 dungeons, including reps of ones with a good number of human enemies, and I'm up 2 mithril armor pieces, but no usable mithril weapons. I'm never going to kill that drat lich in Sentinal.

What class you been playing? I have a mage, so I managed to grind most of my magic skills pretty early in the game by just spamming them, so when I leveled up the enemies got better loot too.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Double post but gently caress it, I just wasted 2+ hours in a single dungeon cause I missed an interactable torch that looks like all other torches :shepicide: (only found out about it too cause I gave up and saw it on the wiki)

I can't even imagine people trying to find this poo poo in the OG without clicking everywhere like a lunatic.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

on my deathbed I will still be able to recall the sound of the grunt doomguy makes checking the walls for secret doors

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

quote:

Enable Cheat Mode:
Note: This procedure involves editing a game file; create a backup copy of the file before proceeding. Use a text editor to edit the "z.cfg" file in the "daggerfall" directory. Add the line cheatmode 1 to the file

Cycle Through Quest Locations:
Press [Left Bracket] or [Right Bracket]

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I just teleported back to a quest giver and now I'm stuck inside :downs: (inside Medora's room in Direnni Tower)

DAGGERFALL!!!!

I'm playing Daggerfall Unity, can you do this there too? If not I'm gonna have to just use a console command to exit or noclip out.

edit: used "tele2exit" to teleport out

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 4, 2021

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I think I'm all Skyrim'd out for another 9 years. The highlight of my experience was a rando brigand, screaming "Time to die!" then plunging off the wall of the fort to his death. I thought he meant it was time for me to die, but apparently it was a cry for help.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

mysterious frankie posted:

I think I'm all Skyrim'd out for another 9 years. The highlight of my experience was a rando brigand, screaming "Time to die!" then plunging off the wall of the fort to his death. I thought he meant it was time for me to die, but apparently it was a cry for help.

See you next month

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

If its skyrim SE, it did recieve a graphics overhaul. that said, post more reflections on your experience please!

Happy to:

- Got my first game breaking bug! After finding a weird orb thing at a dungeon, it called me to go to the Statue of Meridia for a quest, it sounded interesting so I headed there, where I was taken into the sky and started the quest. Got to the temple, found the boss and proceeded to Fus-ro-dah his rear end to a wall making sure the specter he spawns gets stuck behind it, meaning I was unable to kill him and therefore unable to finish the quest... cue some Googling and long story short I had to use the console to revive him and kill him again. Still, it was a fun quest and I got a cool sword!

- Riding into Solitude at night, music full on atmospheric mode, seeing the aurora borealis, the docks in the distance and the keep high above... majestic!

- I kept killing dragons and never understood that I had to "unlock" the shouts after receiving the dragon souls, game is a bit easier now... Also, stop stealing my dragon souls you rear end in a top hat :argh:

- Started the Embassy quest and managed to keep everyone alive and everyone else .... unalive. The final "I hope it's worth it" quip was bittersweet, I hope I get to rescue this guy.

- The giants yeeting bandits into the loving stratosphere made me do a spit take.

- The ring stealing quest was a rush because I'm roleplaying basically as Thors Snorresson (Giant viking dad from Vinland Saga) so all muscle and two hand swords and no grace whatsoever... but I managed to do it flawlessly (after many save->loads) even while a cat lady keep me on her sights the entire time.

- My horse gives none of the fucks, and will attack ANYTHING on his path: dragons, bandits, giants... the last one.. you know what happened. Also, after a tough battle I teleported to a town, went inside and had a nap and when I got outside my horse just loving died out of the blue. I'm sorry Darkstar69 :( you were too brave of a soul to exist in this world.

Tl:dr It's so janky, I love it!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

What class you been playing? I have a mage, so I managed to grind most of my magic skills pretty early in the game by just spamming them, so when I leveled up the enemies got better loot too.

Custom class, only magic skills are rest/myst/thaum. I might try going back and just using magic items to blast him. I think I have a holy symbol of ice storm in my wagon.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
On a Turdas, day of turds, I finally did it, I finally beat Daggerfall. It sure was a video game :psyduck:

The ending was so deflating, drat. In the end I chose for the orcs to get the thing and let them reign but I was expecting something more bombastic. Eh.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'll post a small section of the last dungeon walkthrough. Don't worry about spoilers, this will make so little sense it won't stay in your head I promise.
[quote:

The island will sink down to a gigantic crossbow. Use the platforms to reach the crossbow and step into its notch. Turn around and touch the left halberd. You will be shot up to a mark and the gigantic sword will tilt over

I finally understand this. This last dungeon gave me some strong Half-Life Xen vibes, jesus. I know this came out before HL, but drat, guess it was just the style at the time. To be fair it was a lot easier than any of the previous dungeons in terms of layout so it was alright. Unrelated but interesting thing: I decided to search for Daggerfall LPs on the lparchive and all of the main TES games are there except Daggerfall. If that's not a damning thing I don't know what is.

Guess it's time to play Morrowind again and actually beat it this time instead of just starting a save, playing for a while and dropping it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not on the Archive (or the Master List either) but Ephraim225 did LPs of both Arena and Daggerfall a while back. I'm too tired to dig up the threads now, but I could do it later if you're interested.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Commander Keene posted:

It's not on the Archive (or the Master List either) but Ephraim225 did LPs of both Arena and Daggerfall a while back. I'm too tired to dig up the threads now, but I could do it later if you're interested.

Weird that it's not on the archive or the master list, I'd be interested in checking them out whenever you can post the links.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I have had a lot of problems with the Meridia quest too, but I play on xbox, so every time I do the finale I have like a 50/50 chance of having to reload a save because something got too hosed up. Last time I did it I wound up with two Dawnbreakers though, which was pretty rad. I think if you accidentally shout it out of its little ornamental stand during the fight, then the game just spawns a second one in there after you kill the guy.

mulligan posted:

- The ring stealing quest was a rush because I'm roleplaying basically as Thors Snorresson (Giant viking dad from Vinland Saga) so all muscle and two hand swords and no grace whatsoever... but I managed to do it flawlessly (after many save->loads) even while a cat lady keep me on her sights the entire time.
Nice. I've had characters in TESIII, IV and V based on characters from icelandic sagas, including my first ever morrowind character.

I didn't remember your guy from either of the greenland sagas, so I googled it and I think it is actually in reference to an anime. I would have killed for an animated version of something like Njal's saga or Egil's saga when I was first getting into them... the icelander sagas are so well suited for comic books or episodic tv that I'm amazed it took this long for somebody to adapt them. Sagas loving rule. Except for Heimskringla which is like super dry, sorry norway. I prefer my 800 year old historical epics to be full of berserk werewolves, laconic warrior-poets, and courtroom drama

Anyways I too am enjoying your first impressions, keep posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

TresTristesTigres posted:

I have had a lot of problems with the Meridia quest too, but I play on xbox, so every time I do the finale I have like a 50/50 chance of having to reload a save because something got too hosed up. Last time I did it I wound up with two Dawnbreakers though, which was pretty rad. I think if you accidentally shout it out of its little ornamental stand during the fight, then the game just spawns a second one in there after you kill the guy.

Nice. I've had characters in TESIII, IV and V based on characters from icelandic sagas, including my first ever morrowind character.

I didn't remember your guy from either of the greenland sagas, so I googled it and I think it is actually in reference to an anime. I would have killed for an animated version of something like Njal's saga or Egil's saga when I was first getting into them... the icelander sagas are so well suited for comic books or episodic tv that I'm amazed it took this long for somebody to adapt them. Sagas loving rule. Except for Heimskringla which is like super dry, sorry norway. I prefer my 800 year old historical epics to be full of berserk werewolves, laconic warrior-poets, and courtroom drama

Anyways I too am enjoying your first impressions, keep posting!

It's dual purpose, both from the show and the historical figures like Rollo of Normandy (despite being a blood thirsty giant sword man I kinda want to have "virtues", etc.) and other interesting figures from the past.

Of course my next play-trough is Kajit sneak assassin-gentleman thief.

Quick question: How do you guys manage having so many quests avaliable? Sometimes I feel overwhelmed because I have like 300 things to do and I kinda fear missing out of cool quests.