Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Finally gained enough rep with the daily labyrinth's vendor in Wuxia World to reach tier 2 and buy the cultivation manual. An extra 720k internal every day is going to come in handy now that levels cost upwards of a hundred million.

I tried downloading this and i have never been more confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I was a bit bored and decided to play Idling to Rule the Gods (partially because it's got an android port and I much prefer idlers on mobile if possible) and...honestly it still feels pretty good! Like, NGU obviously improved on a lot of stuff, but this is still a solid, playable game.

Most notably I really like the pet system, possibly because it really doesn't have an obvious parallel in NGU. It feels pretty well designed to me; you have a bunch of different things you need your pets for between campaigns and dungeons, and your priorities can and will change depending on what you're currently doing. And because you just keep getting pets as you progress through the game, it seems like it's got a very NGU style progression of "I need this feature for a lot of things but can't do many of them" to "I have enough resources that I can pretty much do everything here and put it on autopilot to focus on other things".

It's of course not without it's faults, the biggest one being that it's way, way more focused on challenges than NGU. On one hand there are plenty of easy and interesting ones, and ones where the goal isn't "complete x number of challenges" but instead "get a high score in something within 24 hours". But on the flip side, you've also got the challenges that completely reset your God Power (equivalent to EXP in NGU) that are quite frustrating. And one of them, Ultimate Baal Challenge, is highly recommended as like, your 3rd challenge to unlock a useful new feature! It wouldn't be so bad if that was a much later challenge but nah, you basically need to restart the game from scratch shortly after you unlock challenges.

For the most part though, yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arzaac posted:

So I was a bit bored and decided to play Idling to Rule the Gods

Hey this seems neat so far, and I also like to poke these on my phone when possible so I like the cross save compatibility. I'm about to rebirth for the first time and have pretty much no idea what's going on but numbers are going up and that's cool with me :waycool:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Dunno if anyone still plays Idle Champions here, but I just wanted to post the newest event champion, because they're pretty cute

Literally 3 kobolds in a trench coat

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Broken Cog posted:

Dunno if anyone still plays Idle Champions here, but I just wanted to post the newest event champion, because they're pretty cute

This is actually a canon and official d&d character from one of the recent books!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I love that.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

I just checked this out because kobolds are cute and holy poo poo the lootbox/FOMO poo poo is vicious. Gear seems like a huge part of advancement and it's all randomized, and it's hard to gear event characters outside of their event. That said, the formation mechanic is really fun. Is this game even feasible F2P, or do I need to drop cash to get anywhere?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I just checked this out because kobolds are cute and holy poo poo the lootbox/FOMO poo poo is vicious. Gear seems like a huge part of advancement and it's all randomized, and it's hard to gear event characters outside of their event. That said, the formation mechanic is really fun. Is this game even feasible F2P, or do I need to drop cash to get anywhere?

I ended up dropping it because it wasn't quite as idle as I wanted it to be. There was a lot of restarting of runs and manual positioning and upgrading and stuff like that. I spent some money to get a few of the followers that tap for you but I spent like $10 for three of them which I assigned to tapping because you get a bonus from it, but still had to manually upgrade everyone and there's still a lot of restarting runs and whatnot. There were more followers you could buy to auto upgrade or whatever you assigned them to but they were really expensive for what they were. I decided to cut it off then and haven't looked back. I got a friend of mine into it who got really into it and he told me a few weeks ago he ended up spending ~$150 on the game up to that point :sigh:

That's not to say that you have to spend money to play it, it just wasn't the game I wanted it to be and the tools they give you to make it closer to that do cost you money.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Surprisingly, yes. Despite what the endless barrage of "WEEKLY DEALS" and "WILD OFFERS" wants you to believe. I recently started playing again after being on a hiatus for about 3 years since I last played it in the beta. I have not spent anything, and I have been able to finish 3 campaigns, made good progress on the fourth, unlocked all the base game and "evergreen" champions, and can fairly easily beat all event stages during events.
They are pretty generous with both events (3 free champions and chests for them if you can finish their event stages), and giving out free chests (About 10-15 universal codes for gold/the new electrum chests gets given out on streams and podcasts every week, but you can just check the reddit or The Wiki Page since it gets updated regularly). You can also buy chests for gems, and get them randomly from drops.

The two main elements that are restricted by real money are Familiars, which let you automate and idle more conveniently(you can get quite a few with gems, but they get expensive quickly), and gold equipment, which basically makes a certain equipment slot twice as effective. Useful, but you can do without them.

Honestly, just grabbing all the codes from the wiki, and checking back there or with the reddit/forums for more codes once a week should last you a long while. Also, sign up for the newsletter for a very useful support champion.
Protip: You can Ctrl+v the codes on the "unlock chest" screen.

Edit: I do agree with Explosivo though, without a significant amount of familiars, it's more of a "Set off and check back every half an hour" kind of game. At least until you get further in, and then you can usually set it up to run for a couple of hours before needing to upgrade everything manually. I do recommend saving up 1000 gems for the first familiar asap though, it can be very useful.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 5, 2021

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot and see if it clicks. I usually only play during work, so checking back every half hour to couple hours isn't a huge deal.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What's good on iOS these days? Anything? I kind of like Adventure Communist but the events kind of make it a little too active/P2W for me. As far as the egg game goes, I've played my fill of that years ago. That was a great one though.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
gave up on increrementreeverse. got to obfuscations, played around with it for a few hours and just nah. wasn't up to doing that over another longer period of time. it scratched some incremental itches and felt like it was going to get somewhere, but ultimately feels more like a glorified clicker game with how much reset clicking is required and minimal idle/downtime.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I didn't even get that far with it. It felt like it was just a long form game of whack-a-mole, where you click the latest thing to light up because that's the only thing you can do. Not even the illusion of choice.

Meanwhile, I started playing Evolve and I have the opposite problem, I'm overwhelmed by options. I'm just kinda doing whatever and ignoring military and we'll see where it goes I guess :shrug:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Woooooo I finally unlocked Beards in NGU Idle, I think that means I'm over the mega drat wall

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is it worth it in NGU to start unlocking Card Tier Perks/Quirks/Wishes before you unlock cards? I'm just working up my stats for JRPGVille so I think I'm maybe 2 weeks out from an Exile kill

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

DariusLikewise posted:

Is it worth it in NGU to start unlocking Card Tier Perks/Quirks/Wishes before you unlock cards? I'm just working up my stats for JRPGVille so I think I'm maybe 2 weeks out from an Exile kill

Not really, imo. If you really have nothing else to buy for QP then hoard it for like 200K worth of really good quirks as soon as you start Sad. Maybe for PP but I still had lots of stuff to buy there when I killed v4 the first time. But you probably have more worthwhile purchases for both. Maybe the adventure boosts to speed up getting through the Exile versions? EMR3?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Nibble posted:

I didn't even get that far with it. It felt like it was just a long form game of whack-a-mole, where you click the latest thing to light up because that's the only thing you can do. Not even the illusion of choice.

Meanwhile, I started playing Evolve and I have the opposite problem, I'm overwhelmed by options. I'm just kinda doing whatever and ignoring military and we'll see where it goes I guess :shrug:

Yeah military is active make-work that I never bother with. It'll boost your resources in the short-term but it's a slow enough game to not need it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah military is active make-work that I never bother with. It'll boost your resources in the short-term but it's a slow enough game to not need it.

I had a whole response to this and realized at the last minute that I thought I was in a totally different thread that's mid-discussion on the US Military budget and how it works as essentially a jobs program for much of the country.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

Not really, imo. If you really have nothing else to buy for QP then hoard it for like 200K worth of really good quirks as soon as you start Sad. Maybe for PP but I still had lots of stuff to buy there when I killed v4 the first time. But you probably have more worthwhile purchases for both. Maybe the adventure boosts to speed up getting through the Exile versions? EMR3?

Yeah I got a ton of others things that seem way more beneficial right now Rich Perks Adv 2 and 3, EMR3, EMR2 quirks and Rich Quirk Adv2 along with the Wish Slot quirk and Beasted Boosts 3. I was just trying to figure out if card tiers are gamechangers if I had them as soon as cards were unlocked or if cards take awhile to get going good like every other feature.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Nibble posted:

Try the Scripting Edition instead. It removes a gently caress load of the busy work with automation and just lets you plan out long term stuff with a bunch of options. If you're still on your first run though I'd suggest just using autoFight because lol gently caress manually doing that.

Warning that the options contain spoilers for later game stuff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What's good on iOS these days? Anything? I kind of like Adventure Communist but the events kind of make it a little too active/P2W for me. As far as the egg game goes, I've played my fill of that years ago. That was a great one though.

I loved Adventure Communist/Capitalist until I realized people were P2W'ing the weekly events (like, I'd have 150% of 2nd place's angels a minute before the deadline and then I'd be in fifth place in the final standings) and that completely killed it for me.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I loved Adventure Communist/Capitalist until I realized people were P2W'ing the weekly events (like, I'd have 150% of 2nd place's angels a minute before the deadline and then I'd be in fifth place in the final standings) and that completely killed it for me.

I don't know if they changed it but you used to be able to at least finish every AdCap event with spending any gold/money and get the rewards. AdCom you either need to open every box at the exact moment it is available(which involves be awake every four hours) or spend real life money to get boxes just to reach the top tier rewards in the event.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah I got a ton of others things that seem way more beneficial right now Rich Perks Adv 2 and 3, EMR3, EMR2 quirks and Rich Quirk Adv2 along with the Wish Slot quirk and Beasted Boosts 3. I was just trying to figure out if card tiers are gamechangers if I had them as soon as cards were unlocked or if cards take awhile to get going good like every other feature.

Depends on which card tiers.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

I think Adventure and Wish Card Tier ups are a must to make cards even remotely effective - it's something like a 40% boost from Tier 1 to Tier 2, which is obviously huge for such a time gated resource. Hack is important too but less so than Adventure and Wish.

As for other perk priorities, I'm prioritizing BB3 Perk over Rich Perks Adventure 2, since my cube is uncapped in my titan killing gear set and I'm really close to manualling Exile v2.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
With Swarmsim, is there a script or something to auto buy upgrades when I have them set to notify me? I'm on my third ascension, exploiting the hell out of swarmwarps, and clicking all the meat unit / larvae upgrades every warp is getting tedious as hell.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Rynoto posted:

Try the Scripting Edition instead. It removes a gently caress load of the busy work with automation and just lets you plan out long term stuff with a bunch of options. If you're still on your first run though I'd suggest just using autoFight because lol gently caress manually doing that.

Warning that the options contain spoilers for later game stuff.

Where do you see the options? it looks like the normal Evolve to me

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Buzkashi posted:

Where do you see the options? it looks like the normal Evolve to me

Ah sorry. Forgot to also mention that it requires the corresponding tampermonkey scripts from: Here
The linked version of evolve exposes a bunch of stuff that's required for the script to hook into. I had honestly forgotten it was required as it will autoupdate
You'll know it's working when you see the masterScriptToggle option underneath your resources.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 7, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I think Adventure and Wish Card Tier ups are a must to make cards even remotely effective - it's something like a 40% boost from Tier 1 to Tier 2, which is obviously huge for such a time gated resource. Hack is important too but less so than Adventure and Wish.

As for other perk priorities, I'm prioritizing BB3 Perk over Rich Perks Adventure 2, since my cube is uncapped in my titan killing gear set and I'm really close to manualling Exile v2.

The wish card perk and adventure perk are obtainable so I'll grab those first for sure. I just hit JRPG idle stats so if I double my adventure stats again I should be able to manual Exile v1. My current goal is to BB my evil NGUs which I think should be done after the EMR2 quirks and wishes.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm itching to start a new idle game but all my searching is coming up fruitless, so I figure I'll go ahead and poll the thread to see if there's anything I've missed. For reference, I tend to prefer games that are more on the 'simple' side, like Cookie Clicker and Idle Mine Remix, and I literally cannot play mobile games cuz my phone doesn't have the space for them.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
anything worth playing usually shows up in the reddit incremental and if you want you can trawl places like almost idle but the genre kind of hit it's apex already so the good ones are father apart as people don't have as many new mechanic ideas or the time to polish the old ones

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Loop Hero is great. It's a little more involved than clicking a giant cookie but the payoff for paying more attention is huge. It's set to release March 8, but there's a demo on Steam now that should help you figure out if its your jam or not. If only there was a way to listen to the expedition music outside of the game...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I quite liked how there actually felt like different ways to build a character/loop rather than just piling up higher numbers.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I really wouldn't call Loop Hero an incremental at all. It's got some similarities but if anything it's more like a cross between an RTS and a city builder.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Loop hero is interesting, but if I have to pause it after every battle to lay out my lands, it's not very idle, is it? I'm definitely buying it when it releases though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bedurndurn posted:

Loop hero is interesting, but if I have to pause it after every battle to lay out my lands, it's not very idle, is it? I'm definitely buying it when it releases though.

Laying out lands brings you closer to generating the lich in the demo (and presumably the other bosses in the full game). Granted, he gains power with every loop like every other monster, so if you're going to fight him, waiting too long will be just as lethal as fighting too early, but if you're just trying to collect resources, you'll have a hard limit on lands to deploy. Plus there's the part where lands change if you put them next to each other, which means it for instance pays off to wait on putting down that meadow until you can put it orthogonal to something else, and that maybe you want a road lantern or two before combining a vampire's mansion with a village (if you've not seen that change, it almost triples the healing from a village with two fields eventually).

Now if you were talking equipment instead... that's agreed not very idle, though equipment power is dependent on the loop so after gathering enough battlefields you could get to where you're only paying attention to drops either if one slot is way behind the curve or you're going through the chest loot. There's people talking about making it to loop 100 in the demo, so hypothetically with a good setup you could get the hero strong enough to where you can walk away from the computer.

philbr
May 2, 2009

serefin99 posted:

I'm itching to start a new idle game but all my searching is coming up fruitless, so I figure I'll go ahead and poll the thread to see if there's anything I've missed. For reference, I tend to prefer games that are more on the 'simple' side, like Cookie Clicker and Idle Mine Remix, and I literally cannot play mobile games cuz my phone doesn't have the space for them.

I heartily recommend https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/. It's like a zen farm you check on every now and then.

Less than two months old, but it ticks a surprising number of boxes for me: Unfolding gameplay, interesting decisions, different strategies, not too much activity required, fast and web-based, both active and passive gameplay are rewarding, very active dev, lots of QoL features.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Plus there's the part where lands change if you put them next to each other, which means it for instance pays off to wait on putting down that meadow until you can put it orthogonal to something else, and that maybe you want a road lantern or two before combining a vampire's mansion with a village (if you've not seen that change, it almost triples the healing from a village with two fields eventually).
meadows will upgrade when you place something else next to them so there's no reason not to immediately slam them down if you know where you want them and could do with the extra healing.

i felt like the lich was going to be a big thing but i beat him on my third expedition first try, which was a little disappointing because now i feel like there's no reason to continue playing the demo.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

philbr posted:

I heartily recommend https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/. It's like a zen farm you check on every now and then.

Less than two months old, but it ticks a surprising number of boxes for me: Unfolding gameplay, interesting decisions, different strategies, not too much activity required, fast and web-based, both active and passive gameplay are rewarding, very active dev, lots of QoL features.

people should recommend stuff more i would never see this stuff otherwise >: (

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

NGU thoughts: I've been a 100% free-to-play player from day 1. A bit over a year into the game and thoroughly enjoying it. I can snipe some of the very late content in the game, with only 2 zones and a boss beyond my current reach.

The biggest issue is definitely the timing of content. Early on each new difficulty takes serious time, and then I'll plan a long rebirth and leap forward multiple zones at once. This happened a few times, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing (it's fun to see quick progress) but I expect the slower bits could discourage some players.

Content updates have been pretty frequent, and I suspect I might actually hit The Content Wall shortly before the next update comes and introduces The End. Overall it's been a real fun journey and 4G did a great job, I enjoy it more than any of my other idle games (and I've tried too many to list).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

philbr posted:

Oh this is very soothing. Thank you for posting about it.