Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Space Fish posted:

Mutual funds are something you would invest in inside a brokerage account, including but not limited to an IRA or 401k. Most company-sponsored IRAs and 401ks offer employees a limited menu of mutual funds from which to choose, so the topics overlap a lot.

Mutual funds by and large drag behind index funds in terms of performance, especially when you factor in fees, taxes, and fund managers (this claim has been thoroughly backtested). There are a few that outperform the S&P 500, but they tend to be temporary highs followed by microscopic or negative returns. Again, indexes reign supreme.

The Bogleheads website breaks down some good three-fund portfolios based on which brokerage you use. Do not (DO NOT) pay fees to, say, buy Vanguard mutual funds from Fidelity.

Generally speaking, ETFs can act as a tax-efficient substitute for a mutual fund if you are using a taxable account (many are fee-free between companies, too). For example, if you use Fidelity you might hold Fidelity index funds FSKAX / FTIHX / FUAMX in your Roth IRA and Vanguard's ETFs VTI / VXUS in your taxable account. There are justifications and edge cases for this or that specific goal/strategy/circumstance, but these examples work for basic indexing.

Uh oh, that sounded like long-term advice. Hmmm... I swapped out Sundial for Trulieve. What better way to refresh the economy than to legalize pot just in time for the latest stimmy?

Why do their recommended three-fund portfolios have so much bond exposure? Why would anybody below 55 have more than 5% bond exposure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got in on Direxion's MOON ETF which someone posted in here (maybe pmchem?). It seems like a fun gimmick. Tracks S&P Kensho Moonshots index, 50 companies that score highs on some goof troop Early Stage Composite Innovation score. It's yoloing, but diversified!

This looks like a fun ETF, is there a leveraged version of it?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

This looks like a fun ETF, is there a leveraged version of it?

Yea give me 10x leverage and i'm all in

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Further to that, would MOON, MOON3x and MOON10x be a suitable 3 fund portfolio?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are the most highly regarded leveraged ETFs?

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
LHDX is taking off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Direxion is all about goofy and leveraged poo poo.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

typhus posted:

LHDX is taking off

I'M RICH BEEYOTCH

:honk:

Gonna get a large impossible whopper combo

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

typhus posted:

LHDX is taking off

Sold at 27, happy for the ride.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got in at $22 and out at $28. I don't think they're a billion dollar company, and far too much success is priced in at anything over ~$20

Decent little gain for now at least

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i got equal parts arkk, arkf and moon for my personal Turbo Innovation ETF

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i started trading during the first insane tesla mania and then tried daytrading and lost a grip of money. gave cathie what i had left and shes made it all back for me. thanks :cheersdoge:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MagicBoots posted:

IRAs and 401Ks are a type of retirement account. A mutual fund is something you would hold in those accounts, just like stock and ETFs. Mutual funds are out of favor as they basically do the same thing as ETFs but worse and with higher expense ratios.

This is a nonsensical statement. An ETF is an Exchange Traded (mutual) Fund. ETFs are simply mutual funds that are tradeable intraday via shares.

Space Fish posted:

Mutual funds are something you would invest in inside a brokerage account, including but not limited to an IRA or 401k. Most company-sponsored IRAs and 401ks offer employees a limited menu of mutual funds from which to choose, so the topics overlap a lot.

Mutual funds by and large drag behind index funds in terms of performance, especially when you factor in fees, taxes, and fund managers (this claim has been thoroughly backtested). There are a few that outperform the S&P 500, but they tend to be temporary highs followed by microscopic or negative returns. Again, indexes reign supreme.

The Bogleheads website breaks down some good three-fund portfolios based on which brokerage you use. Do not (DO NOT) pay fees to, say, buy Vanguard mutual funds from Fidelity.

Generally speaking, ETFs can act as a tax-efficient substitute for a mutual fund if you are using a taxable account (many are fee-free between companies, too). For example, if you use Fidelity you might hold Fidelity index funds FSKAX / FTIHX / FUAMX in your Roth IRA and Vanguard's ETFs VTI / VXUS in your taxable account. There are justifications and edge cases for this or that specific goal/strategy/circumstance, but these examples work for basic indexing.

Uh oh, that sounded like long-term advice. Hmmm... I swapped out Sundial for Trulieve. What better way to refresh the economy than to legalize pot just in time for the latest stimmy?

This is a good post but I've bolded a confusion that is common.

Index funds are mutual funds. They are passively-managed mutual funds, meaning the fund simply tracks an index rather than employing some Very Smart Guy(s) to pick stocks. This is inherently much less expensive (no need to pay any Very Smart Guy(s) millions of dollars, and typically less costs from churning due to those VSGs feeling obliged to make trades to justify their absurd incomes) which means the Expense Ratio of an index-based passively-managed mutual fund can be much much lower.

Re: outperforming the S&P500, this is another confusing thing to say. Every investment has risk, and when comparing different investments, one should account for different risk profiles. For example, aggressive funds which focus on more volatile investments ought to outperform safer funds that focus on less volatile investments. Basic market theory says that investors can and will demand more profits to justify taking larger risks.

So a fund that is invested entirely in very risky investments but which fails to outperform the S&P500 significantly would be a truly awful fund indeed. And you're right that there's tons of them! But just because a fund is getting better returns than the S&P does not mean it's "better" if its risk profile is very different, and in fact it may be underperforming compared to a more appropriate benchmark. Market breadth and company size both tend to reduce volatility, so the S&P500 index is "safe" because it has 500 component companies and they're all at least mid to large cap companies. It's useful as a benchmark in part because it also performs pretty well, is very cheap to buy, and is available to everyone. But I want to caution folks that you can filter for ETFs and find ones that are returning better than S&P500 and that does not mean all of them are "better" to buy.

The stuff about tax efficiency is important and good. If your ETF is reinvesting dividends without issuing them to shareholders, for example, you won't pay taxes on dividends the way you would if you held the underlying mutual fund in a taxable brokerage account. However, there are downsides for ETFs as well. An ETF floats during the market day, with bid/ask spreads, whereas with mutual funds when you buy or sell you get the end-of-day price, no spread. So you can lose a little money due to better or worse trade execution on your ETF shares, for example. It's odd to think of an ETF deviating from the underlying investments' NAV, but since the underlying investments also tend to change price during the day and have bid/ask spreads, and also the fund manager may make trades during that period, it makes sense that the actual value of the fund isn't totally discernable from moment to moment, leading to some deviation of the price and therefore an opportunity for a retail investor to "lose" (or "win") a little on trades.

I do not like this Investopedia article. I generally like Investopedia but this article says two misleading things.

1. It says in the intro that mutual funds are actively managed and ETFs are passively managed. This is wrong. Many mutual funds are actively managed, but many are passively managed: and, since 2008, it has been legal and there have been a proliferation of actively-managed ETFs.
2. It says that ETFs have lower ERs. This is based on 1, as explained in the text, and so is also wrong. Actively managed ETFs can have much higher ERs than passively managed mutual funds. One should not just assume either case without actually checking the expense ratio of an investment you're looking at.

The article is correct that ETFs typically (always? not sure) don't pay dividends, so for tax purposes if you are investing in a taxable account and you are holding long-term, you might prefer the ETF version of a fund over the mutual fund version if it holds investments that pay out dividends. In a tax-advantaged account this doesn't matter, so holding the underlying fund in your 401(k), IRA, etc. has no additional tax implication.

The tl;dr of all of this:
-ETFs give brokerage-account investors access to mutual funds
-Mutual funds may be passive or actively managed, and may have fees ranging from absurdly high to basically zero
-ETF's intraday pricing characteristics may cost you a penny or two on your per-share price compared to the end-of-day NAV pricing of mutual funds
-ETFs may allow you to avoid taxes on distributions that you'd pay if you held the mutual fund shares instead, in a taxable account
-Not all mutual funds are available as ETFs (e. And, not all ETFs are available as mutual funds)
-Many ETFs are horrible, expensive, actively-managed, or otherwise bullshit. Buyer beware!

thanks for attending my TED talk

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 5, 2021

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I got in at $22 and out at $28. I don't think they're a billion dollar company, and far too much success is priced in at anything over ~$20

I sold half at $29. I'm going to go along with the rest for a bit.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Same same. (Except with a smaller amount)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Holy gently caress Lucira why did I think you were going to stagnate at 22 all day

e: deffo not buying in now tbh

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

UnfurledSails posted:

It's not that much of a stretch to do the exact same thing but on wsb posts, and start the $TENDI ETF or whatever

a bunch of people already do more or less this (although I don't they are just going straight long whatever stock social buzz is about). Psychsignal and sasamm definitely use twitter and various stock forums respectively, probably more by now, would be surprised if there weren't a bunch of people on this list using wsb as a source: https://alternativedata.org/data-providers//category,social-sentiment

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mongeese posted:

I sold half at $29. I'm going to go along with the rest for a bit.

I bought in at $22.43 and I have a lot of patience so I might hold longer. I have no idea what this company will do though. I only have 3 shares and I figured it'd be fun to get on a stock on opening day.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Smythe posted:

Investing in ARKF seems like a no-brainer to me. Recently purchased it and it seemed instantly genius.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Space Fish posted:

I rolled over my IRA from an employer I left into a Fidelity account and I put all the money into one of the Vanguard target date funds because at the time someone told me Vanguard funds were the best place to park that money and I didn't really know Vanguard was an institution like Fidelity so I just did what I was told.

Should I move these funds out of the Vanguard fund into the equivalent Fidelity one? Or does it not matter now that I've already done it?

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

a Loving Dog posted:

ive been reading the long term investment thread and its really funny how mad they get when someone from here wanders in there

It me, I am the rascal

My vaccine effortpost is apparently in a quantum superposition of being totally rad and/or a display of childlike arrogance

In conclusion, BFC is a land of contrasts. I guess I should read a book on investing or something, lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do we like $CLOV up in here?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I will be praying for a swift recovery for GRPO.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

I rolled over my IRA from an employer I left into a Fidelity account and I put all the money into one of the Vanguard target date funds because at the time someone told me Vanguard funds were the best place to park that money and I didn't really know Vanguard was an institution like Fidelity so I just did what I was told.

Should I move these funds out of the Vanguard fund into the equivalent Fidelity one? Or does it not matter now that I've already done it?

nah they're very similar but vanguard has a slight edge due to being customer owned and literally founded on the ideology of customer service and low fees.

Both are so much less predatory than all other competitors that the distinction is barely worth drawing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Why do their recommended three-fund portfolios have so much bond exposure? Why would anybody below 55 have more than 5% bond exposure?

This is a matter of risk tolerance and mindset.

If you're young and you've seen all the spreadsheets that say "plunk down money in stocks and you can retire rich," bonds may not seem to make much sense, at least for the next couple decades. You can leverage your youth against any imminent crashes and ultimately come out ahead, right? Not quite. A significant bond percentage tends to not only hedge against market downturns, but actually increase long-term gains.

"Okay, fine, I'll go 10-20% bonds as an anchor and otherwise make riskier moves with the rest of my money," you might conclude. Good. Do you trust yourself? Every investor recites the advice to only risk what you're willing to lose. Can you truly stomach seeing all your green gains turn bleeding red? The latest GME fiasco taught a lot of people their true feelings about watching numbers soar then slide off a cliff. If you could feel a sure bet in your bones, would you leave that bonds brick alone in its corner, or would you cash it in for risk? Ditto for your Roth.

Some unsolicited observations from a number of indexing books that are also relevant to active investing:
-There are many predictors of market downturns, and they can all take a hike. Every day there's a talking head saying this is the last good day in the market and to sell everything, and an opposing talking head saying the good times will keep rolling. If you're secure in your stocks/bonds ratio, neither head will be able to sway you.
-The average market downturn lasts a couple months, and only one in 4-5 downturns ever results in a bear market. It pays to hold strong!
-Most major market crashes ultimately turn around and lead to gains within the year. Again, stick to your plan (unless it's to keep jumping in and out of the pool)! It hurts to take a market beating for months or even years, but it's the only way to guarantee you'll be in the best position for the upswing. You'll be fine with market conditions because you planted a bonds anchor... right?
-"Whatever, nerds, I don't need to have perfect timing to beat the market, I just have to get in near the bottom, ride it up, then get out near the top." Go ahead, be our guest. I maybe beat the market if I sit and wait for a serious downturn, but those aren't guaranteed and I often leave serious gains on the table while waiting. I posted earlier in the thread about learning a lesson in stop-losses when it was immediately triggered by a swift drop-and-bounce.
-I bring up these lectures of market timing because bonds make all of these scenarios easier. I use FUAMX (intermediate treasuries) because they go up when the market falls. Same deal with FTIHX/VXUS, good counterweights to the US market (among others). Counterweights make it easier to ignore internet advisors and hot-tip brokers shouting about how "everyone else is getting rich but you, MORON!"

Thank you for scrolling through my TED talk.

tl;dr Carbon bonds produce diamond hands

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Whelp I gambled a single 0dte GME call

I lost :frog:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

cr0y posted:

I'm staying away until we really know what is going on with that purported DoJ investigation.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Vlonald Prump posted:

It me, I am the rascal

My vaccine effortpost is apparently in a quantum superposition of being totally rad and/or a display of childlike arrogance

In conclusion, BFC is a land of contrasts. I guess I should read a book on investing or something, lol

Haha, yah thats the "argue about which sp500 fund is better based on .000001% difference in fees" thread. I believe they are doing gods work for the 95% of the population that is financially illiterate, but they are so dogmatic about any deviation from their formula.

I believe people who have in depth knowledge about their field, or who just immerse themselves in reading a ton of poo poo every day (me), will every so often be able to see things that your average loving dude on wallstreet or the average retail investor is going to miss. Its not heresy to suggest that. Maybe that will be counterbalanced by suddenly believing you are a stock picking god and then loving up by putting all your gains into GME on the way up. But professing "well you aren't going to be buffett so you should just focus on what you are good at" is kind of crazy. I'm not going to spend every waking moment on my "real work".

It would be nice if there was a "long term investing that isn't set it and forget it" thread. But that's here for now. For what its worth I think I've only had about 3 actual insights in 30 years, and only managed to really profit off of one of them (and avoided a lot of risk this year, which is kind of the same thing, risk/return is a tradeoff). Its loving hard.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

cr0y posted:

I bought in on the hype and am bag holding 100 shares. Fans keep talking about some kind of Walmart healthcare partnership but I don’t know what the provenance is for that.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I don't know where hype happens and pretty much buy and sell from what I hear around here and a few other places. You people are my hype? gently caress, that's sad.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

ReidRansom posted:

I don't know where hype happens and pretty much buy and sell from what I hear around here and a few other places. You people are my hype? gently caress, that's sad.

There are WAY worse communities to do that with than goons. As much as we love to hate each other and ourselves, there are some mighty smart and generous folks on this forum. My whole life launched in a different direction because I read the erotica writing thread six years ago.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

My whole life launched in a different direction because I read the erotica writing thread six years ago.

up and to the left i presume

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

My whole life launched in a different direction because I read the erotica writing thread six years ago.

the what now

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

hell yeah CCV up 8% AH

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

ReidRansom posted:

I've quadrupled my money based on investing just from what I hear from here. You could do a LOT worse.

e: I hate how we don't talk much one weekends, friends :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

There are WAY worse communities to do that with than goons. As much as we love to hate each other and ourselves, there are some mighty smart and generous folks on this forum. My whole life launched in a different direction because I read the erotica writing thread six years ago.

I became a mildly successful software engineer because of the RoR thread back in like 2009. What I'm saying is I'm clearly going to be excellent at the stock market

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ignore any post claiming a rivalry between this thread & the long-term thread. Tons of overlap in posters. Literally the only one two guys who rage-quit the long-term thread did it because their Genius wasn't properly appreciated

Very easy to co-exist in both spaces

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Excuse me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Smythe posted:

whoa the performance on these is wild