Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

There's literally a conspiracy theory that many of them adhere to, though?

I don't know why I bothered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

site posted:

I want to see a show with Fury and Maria contemporaneously starting up shield and sword, both knowing what they know from CM1, with everyone thinking they're completely batshit, and the whole thing is being overseen by hydra

Maybe an element of the upcoming Secret Invasion mini?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

So you're actually trying to argue that the conspiracy theory that Disney bribes critics to badmouth the DC movies, and WB are completely powerless to stop this, and that it somehow only applies to Snyder's films, not the other recent entries that have been well-received, is something that should be validated?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 5, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yikesarooni.

For what it's worth I haven't seen snydertalk go that route

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe an element of the upcoming Secret Invasion mini?

Was that one of the shows announced? It feels like forever ago I only remember a handful off the top of my head.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

So you're actually trying to argue that the conspiracy theory that Disney bribes critics to badmouth the DC movies, and WB are completely powerless to stop this, and that it somehow only applies to Snyder's films, not the other recent entries that have been well-received, is something that should be validated?

No, because that's insane and I think it's absurd that in the same page where you bemoan Snyder fans for not treating you with respect you pull this out about how it's totally cool to talk poo poo in return.

It's about as insane as if I had started claiming that the MCU fans all agree that Martin Scorsese is evil and think way too highly of the only movies they appear to have seen.

Ignore dumb people on twitter.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Yikesarooni.

I thought that was almost a rallying point, it's certainly hinted at or outright said in a ton of the posts and videos that cropped up lobbying for the Snyder cut before the official announcement, and the idea that you can't call out a literal conspiracy theory because it's unfair is... kind of apalling to me, even if it's a fairly benign one as far as conspiracies go.

Roth posted:

No, because that's insane and I think it's absurd that in the same page where you bemoan Snyder fans for not treating you with respect you pull this out about how it's totally cool to talk poo poo in return.

It's about as insane as if I had started claiming that the MCU fans all agree that Martin Scorsese is evil and think way too highly of the only movies they appear to have seen.

Ignore dumb people on twitter.

The comments you mentioned about 'cultists', in my experience, are aimed at that specific crowd.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 5, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A talking coyote posted:

Was that one of the shows announced? It feels like forever ago I only remember a handful off the top of my head.

Yeah it's one of those in the pipeline without a set date iirc

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That theory has also not been relevant in years, and I've certainly never seen it uncritically posted on SA.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Uh... I think you're conflating "Disney threatens no Future access in response to bad reviews" with "DISNEY is trying to DESTROY the DCEU?!"

It's also kind of bugfuck that you go straight to that as some kind of weird Q theory that Snyderbros spout?

Like poo poo, I've read "Peter Parker Child Soldier" and "Actually the Black MCU film is bad because CIA handjob" so many times on these forums but I'm not going straight to that well in an argument.

VvV
Man, if anyone buys that MRA/Reddit adjacent trash as anything more than trolling... I dunno what to say.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 5, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FilthyImp posted:

Yikesarooni.

It reach its zenith when Capt Marvel came out. The "argument" was that the critics HAD to be getting paid off to give it positive reviews, because, you know "Brie Larson is the worst, most hated person EVER!!!"

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Gaz-L posted:

The idea of being able to experience art in a vacuum, 'without knowing what fascism is' as Lt Danger said, is functionally impossible, we all bring our own context as well as knowledge of the artist and the metatext of other works, including other works by the same artist.

who is "we"? what do "we" "know"? different individuals are going to have different backgrounds, perspectives and, yes, knowledges. this is going to change the reader's understanding of a work depending on which specific "individual" that is

the time traveller does not experience art in a vacuum, but merely experiences art without knowledge of fascism. consider an alternative thought experiment: an unabashed fascist watches Starship Troopers. do they see it as a satire? is that because of Verhoeven, or the fascist?

Starship Troopers is not a satire. you can read it satirically, like any other film, if you choose - and if enough of you get together, you can get the broader culture to call it a satire. but you still construct the reading, like anything else

quote:

Honestly, that's kind of what I'm hoping for, is to have my point of view acknowledged without being dismissed, and it's very frustrating that with these specific films by this one film-maker, that that seems to be impossible unless that point of view is unabashed praise, otherwise you're a monster who hates artistic freedom.

you should unpack this a little. as said everyone in this thread can claim "you dismissed my point of view!"

if you just want people to be able to say they liked/disliked something then okay but discussion will be somewhat solipsistic - how can you interact if your differing individual opinions risk invalidating one another?

if you want more substantive discussion then I suspect we will discover that opinions in fact can be right or wrong (specifically: inaccurate, irrelevant, immoral) - that, or irreconciliable perspectives shall force us apart

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Uh... I think you're conflating "Disney threatens no Future access in response to bad reviews" with "DISNEY is trying to DESTROY the DCEU?!"

Oh, i'm not making any point about whether or not the MCU reviews are inflated, but the notion that WB can't pull the same tactics is absurd.

Roth posted:

That theory has also not been relevant in years, and I've certainly never seen it uncritically posted on SA.

Which is good. I was in no way saying that someone here was saying that. Just that it should be reasonable to call that poo poo out and saying you can't is really not good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A talking coyote posted:

Yeah. It has a writer and stars Fury and the Skrull from Captain Marvel, and is supposed to start filming in April. So like I could see it being a show set between Captain Marvel and Endgame or something and factor into the retconning of SWORD into the universe. That makes more sense to me than having a whole massive Skrull invasion of super heroes in a 6 episode mini series on Disney+.

The announced shows so far are:

WandaVision - now
Falcon & Winter Soldier - March
Loki - May
What If...? - "mid 2021"
Ms. Marvel - "late 2021"
Hawkeye - "late 2021"
Moon Knight - "2022"
She-Hulk - "2022"
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special - "2022"
Secret Invasion - ??, but filming in April
Iron Heart - ??
Armor Wars - ??, but set to film soon
Wakanda series - ??

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

Which is good. I was in no way saying that someone here was saying that. Just that it should be reasonable to call that poo poo out and saying you can't is really not good.

Again, it is absurd to demand people treat you with respect for your opinion, and then turn around and be all "Yeah, but you all believe this specific crazy thing so it's ok"

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Davros1 posted:

It reach its zenith when Capt Marvel came out. The "argument" was that the critics HAD to be getting paid off to give it positive reviews, because, you know "Brie Larson is the worst, most hated person EVER!!!"

lmao you are conflating two different groups, because I genuinely don’t remember that poo poo being that prominent on DCEU Twitter when Captain Marvel came out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

The comments you mentioned about 'cultists', in my experience, are aimed at that specific crowd.

Earlier in the thread you had a post about how you can only think a 4 hour movie is good if you're a deluded Zack Snyder cultist.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. It has a writer and stars Fury and the Skrull from Captain Marvel, and is supposed to start filming in April. So like I could see it being a show set between Captain Marvel and Endgame or something and factor into the retconning of SWORD into the universe. That makes more sense to me than having a whole massive Skrull invasion of super heroes in a 6 episode mini series on Disney+.

The announced shows so far are:

WandaVision - now
Falcon & Winter Soldier - March
Loki - May
What If...? - "mid 2021"
Ms. Marvel - "late 2021"
Hawkeye - "late 2021"
Moon Knight - "2022"
She-Hulk - "2022"
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special - "2022"
Secret Invasion - ??, but filming in April
Iron Heart - ??
Armor Wars - ??, but set to film soon
Wakanda series - ??

Oh wow I didn’t realize so many of them come out this year that’s awesome!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

Again, it is absurd to demand people treat you with respect for your opinion, and then turn around and be all "Yeah, but you all believe this specific crazy thing so it's ok"

OK. I'll be as frank and self-reflective as I can here. I will apologise without reservation for that comment. It was said in frustration but that is no excuse.

This whole discussion has riled me up a fair amount over the last few days, not helped by personal stuff, and I may have responded poorly to your words specifically because your earlier comments about disliking things for 'petty' reasons made me pretty angry. Again, that is no excuse to let those feelings get the better of me, and I should probably step away from this thread, if not the subforum/forums for a day or two and engage with other things.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Roth posted:

I don't either. You have been screeching into the abyss about Snyder's movies for days straight at this point. Take a breath, mate. Let some people be wrong if that's really how you feel. This thread and all the threads before it have had the EXACT same tone and response to unabashed DCEU praise for forever now. It never changes. It just gets more and more snide and bitter. The thread's been locked once already in the last week because nobody is willing to just agree to disagree. I know we don't have movies anymore, so everyone is just bored and stuck inside, but sheesh.

Like drat bro you liked 300 and wish people were nicer to people who liked BvS. You're heard. You're loved.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure if this is a post made in bad faith or just utterly tone deaf

McCloud fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 5, 2021

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If Marvel really wants to do this multiverse thing, they better include poo poo like Lou Ferrigno Hulk, Roger Corman Fantastic Four, Reb Brown Captain America, etc. Go real dumb with it, please.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Equeen posted:

lmao you are conflating two different groups, because I genuinely don’t remember that poo poo being that prominent on DCEU Twitter when Captain Marvel came out.

Oh no, I'm not confused. There were people upset that Capt Marvel was getting positives reviews from reviewers that gave negative reviews to BvS. They just also managed to throw in some misogyny in there as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A talking coyote posted:

Oh wow I didn’t realize so many of them come out this year that’s awesome!

It feels like they're trying to create a HBO like streamline where there's always a new show airing. So Falcon/Winter Soldier premieres a week after WandaVision ends and Loki premieres right after that ends. Covid just delayed everything (and could again).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

OK. I'll be as frank and self-reflective as I can here. I will apologise without reservation for that comment. It was said in frustration but that is no excuse.

This whole discussion has riled me up a fair amount over the last few days, not helped by personal stuff, and I may have responded poorly to your words specifically because your earlier comments about disliking things for 'petty' reasons made me pretty angry. Again, that is no excuse to let those feelings get the better of me, and I should probably step away from this thread, if not the subforum/forums for a day or two and engage with other things.

For what it's worth, I did not mean that it was bad to dislike things for petty reasons. I dislike a lot of things for incredibly petty reasons, so apologies for posting like I was being an elitist snob.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

For what it's worth, I did not mean that it was bad to dislike things for petty reasons. I dislike a lot of things for incredibly petty reasons, so apologies for posting like I was being an elitist snob.

It's the implication that the reasons are petty in the first place, if I may elaborate, that stuck with me, because the reasons I was expressing are not, to me, petty. I certainly have had things I dislike for petty reasons, because I find an actor's voice annoying for instance. Those reasons I was expressing are not, to me, petty; they're kind of fundamental

McCloud posted:

I'm not sure if this is a post made in bad faith or just utterly tone deaf

Generally assume the one that's incompetent/dumb on my behalf.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 5, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Oh no, I'm not confused. There were people upset that Capt Marvel was getting positives reviews from reviewers that gave negative reviews to BvS. They just also managed to throw in some misogyny in there as well.

Who, specifically?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Davros1 posted:

This is about as productive as pointing out all the MCU fans that made jokes about Snyder's daughter committing suicide because he makes bad movies. Regressive shits are everywhere, and I'm not going to pretend that one set of fans is better about it than another.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jamesman posted:

If Marvel really wants to do this multiverse thing, they better include poo poo like Lou Ferrigno Hulk, Roger Corman Fantastic Four, Reb Brown Captain America, etc. Go real dumb with it, please.

Corman F4 showing up would make me absurdly happy, but are any of those people still acting?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

I mean...no? I actually quite like 300. It kind of frightens me, given everything I've discussed here, but I don't...not like it. It's a fascinating movie, especially given its context as a post-9/11 thesis on war and propaganda.

I apologize, then. I read too much into your posts which wasn't there, and I may have come off a little rude because of that.

I do think you're onto something with your reaction, here. 300 is a very uncomfortable film in a lot of ways, bit I think it's exactly that discomfort which makes it a powerful film. You have the baby skulls, and child abuse, and slavery, but its not presented slyly. There's no jokey "would you like to know more" TV bits, or NPH wearing an SS uniform. (Although I think there's a blink-and-you'll-miss it shot of someone fighting a literal straw man.)

It's a very raw depiction of a how a harmful society can none-the-less be portrayed as virtuous and how a rudimentary conflict can be twisted into something of a tribal/national mythos.

This is clearly a different approach than what Verhoeven takes, but I think it works quite well. The film's depiction of the Spartans is disturbing. I think its appropriate for the film to come away from it feeling uncertain. As such, I do think the film is effective.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 6, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

McCloud posted:

Who, specifically?

It was a big thing with the comicsgate crowd at the time, which is why you don't see it much anymore, as the movement itself has fractured and died

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

McCloud posted:

Who, specifically?

Thinking on it for a bit, there probably were some Snyder fans who are also obnoxious self-proclaimed anti-SJWs. But I don't understand the point of bringing that up in the first place. You, Roth, and I won't excuse that poo poo, and no one has made the argument that the Snyder fandom is entirely made up of uwu perfect babies who never do anything bad, so what purpose did it serve?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sorry to bring this up, and I understand that there is some bleedover between movies and tv shows and whatnot but could the WandaVision chat go to the tv thread. Just in general there is a TV thread and a movie thread and it's a bit annoying seeing black spoiler boxes for a tv show here. Thanks for reading my annoying whiny post about forums and have a good day

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It annoys me too tbh

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
:same:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Apologies.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wait a minute...

WandaVision
TeleVision

Mother of god...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Apologies.

No worries and I didn't want to say anything because there's definitely a cross between the mcu movies and this show that makes it a bit of a grey area.

(plus you're trying to distract from snyder chat which is understandable)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Roth posted:

This is about as productive as pointing out all the MCU fans that made jokes about Snyder's daughter committing suicide because he makes bad movies. Regressive shits are everywhere, and I'm not going to pretend that one set of fans is better about it than another.

I was replying to the post where someone brought up the theory a few years back where there was a vocal, albeit probably small, portion of people who were accusing Disney of paying off/bribing/strong-arming reviewers to give Disney/Marvel films good reviews, possibly at the expense of other films.

I wasn't saying one set of fans are better than another set of fans, I was just pointing out that I remember, when Capt** Marvel came out, and had positive reviews, there was, at least on my feed, people who were upset that CM got good reviews when BvS did not.

** Why does my computer continually suggest "Captaincies" when I start to type "Capt"? I have never used the word "Captaincies" before. Be helpful, auto-fill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

site posted:

It was a big thing with the comicsgate crowd at the time, which is why you don't see it much anymore, as the movement itself has fractured and died

I recall seeing neckbeards angry about captain marvel. I don't recall them being mad about the same reviewers giving BvS bad reviews, but then again I actively go out of my way to avoid anything related to the -gate people

Equeen posted:

Thinking on it for a bit, there probably were some Snyder fans who are also obnoxious self-proclaimed anti-SJWs. But I don't understand the point of bringing that up in the first place. You, Roth, and I won't excuse that poo poo, and no one has made the argument that the Snyder fandom is entirely made up of uwu perfect babies who never do anything bad, so what purpose did it serve?

I'm sure there were. Just as there were MCU fans that harassed the girl that played Tony Starks daughter or celebrated dropping nukes on japan because Disney almost lost Spider-man or liked BP because they thought it was a pro-trump movie. Drawing a comparison between outliers and a group as a whole is incredibly disingenuous.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 5, 2021