Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OgNar posted:

One of the guys that does tutorials for MC mods said hes holding off on Create for awhile because its being changed/upgraded again.

AKA it's under active development. Unlike some mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

More Gregtech: New Horizons! Everyone's favorite modpack, which is perfect in every way and has no irritation, tedium, or questionable design decisions whatsoever.

I finished the first part of my oil processing rig!

This device takes oil (black fluid in the tank to the left) and distills it into four different fractions, then removes the sulfur compounds from the fractions, and stores them in the tanks to the right. The thing to the right is four large chemical reactors, all sharing walls to reduce the cost of construction, as well as to share hydrogen inputs, configuration circuits, and hydrogen sulfide outputs. (For those who have been playing, you can definitely do all this in single block chemical reactors, but I didn't want to have to figure out how to distribute cells evenly between them, so I went for the nuclear option.) Gregtech has cans of spraypaint that can paint the HDPE pipes snaking in and out of the chemical reactor quad. This made understanding where the pipes go much easier.

It also contains a simple circuit to shut off the distillation tower if the outputs back up. Gregtech has a "feature" where multiblocks will void fluid outputs if they get full, so in the case that something goes wrong and the DT outputs back up, it'll shut off the DT to prevent loss.

Here's the circuit, as well as the device to electrolyze water into the hydrogen the multiblock needs to function. You can also see the cetane-boosted diesel fuel powering the various devices snaking around as the lime pipe.

Turns out, all sorts of GT stuff can be spraypainted. Even machines.

This can go poorly.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

(I think it was referenced earlier in the thread, but I cannot seem to find it now)

Talonos, the Blightfall dev, had his new game released on steam today called Final Winter. I've not played enough to form an opinion on it yet, but I figure I'm happy to support the guy just based off Bightfall. If you feel similar, consider throwing him a follow/wishlist/10 bucks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's a checklist for stuff to be ready to do on your first trip to the moon in GT:NH? We want to make sure we pack up the right stuff. It sounds like there's a protracted trip to grab titanium, and possibly a need for a moon base to replenish oxygen. I was thinking we have to grab up meteors and do the dungeon too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's a checklist for stuff to be ready to do on your first trip to the moon in GT:NH? We want to make sure we pack up the right stuff. It sounds like there's a protracted trip to grab titanium, and possibly a need for a moon base to replenish oxygen. I was thinking we have to grab up meteors and do the dungeon too.

A moon base is highly unnecessary, unless you plan to AFK on the moon for some reason. You've got an adventure backpack, right? Make eight liquid oxygen cells in your vacuum freezer, then load both fluid tanks with them. This is enough oxygen for hours of lunar shenanigans. You can fill a galacticraft canister from the adventure backpack GUI, then use the canister to refill your oxygen tanks while in the field. One bucket of LOx can refill a light oxygen tank something like 8 or 12 times before it's expended, and then you have 8 more buckets in reserve. It's nuts.

Here's some good stuff to bring.

* An auto-miner, with the mining pipes, some way to power it, and a compressed chest for the goodies. (Compressed chests retain their inventory when picked up so they're perfect for this. Well worth the cost.)
* A chunk loader for the auto-miner, with associated fuel (or cheat in admin anchors.)
* Skip the glowstone torches and make glowstone corners. Use the forge multiblock saw to break down a single glowstone block into corners. This is for the dungeon, or if you for some reason don't have night vision already.
* Some way to fly. I like the IC2 electric jetpack + hang glider combo. You'll want this if you land on the moon on lunar night.
* A silk touch tool, if you were prescient enough to pick the silky jewel reward from the twilight forest quest. Use this on meteoric iron chunks so you get twice as much.

Once you land on the moon, look for a bauxite/ilmenite vein and sic your autominer on it. Chunk load it, then go hunting for a dungeon, picking up any meteoric iron you see along the way. You need 8 meteorites, or 16 chunks (with no silk touch,) for a quest. Your autominer will get a bunch of small meteoric iron blocks while it is going for that ilmenite, too, but those don't count for the quest. You need to do two dungeons to finish associated quests; once for a moon buggy blueprint that you will never use, and again for a second moon buggy blueprint that you craft into a tier 2 rocket blueprint.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh, and another moon vein to hit is a bastnäsite vein -- bastnäsite is rich in fluorine (for making teflon), and it also has neodymium ore, a metal you'll need in EV for motors and stuff.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I had most of that ready, or in mind to get ready, but the compressed chest is the big tip that I'd been missing. That one item will make a huge difference I think, thanks.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
https://gserv.me/minecraft-and-subtle-bigotry/

tl:dr, Fabric's bleeding devs due to community shittery and the people in charge of the project (or rather, the one person in charge currently, the IC2 dev Player) would rather ban people trying to do something for 'starting drama' than fix anything.

People are also afraid that he'll just wipe all the sourcecode if he gets pushed enough.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 5, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus christ the legacy of industrialcraft2 continues

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I should steal the source somehow and get a second minecraft lawsuit

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

StealthArcher posted:

You could probably download it from GitHub?

E: It's really disheartening to find out that loving Player of all goddamn people is working on Fabric and to have a situation where the two big modloaders are run by raging shitheads. Player being transphobic is just a dollop of rancid milk on a poo poo sandwich.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 5, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

https://gserv.me/minecraft-and-subtle-bigotry/

tl:dr, Fabric's bleeding devs due to community shittery and the people in charge of the project (or rather, the one person in charge currently, the IC2 dev Player) would rather ban people trying to do something for 'starting drama' than fix anything.

People are also afraid that he'll just wipe all the sourcecode if he gets pushed enough.

Well. "people with pluralities" is certainly a new term.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

StealthArcher posted:

:hai:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Well. "people with pluralities" is certainly a new term.

It used to be "multiple personality disorder".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What a disaster. Welp, getting the code, then; my confidence that fabric will be a viable alternative is severely dented unless it escapes the influence of this dev "team".

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It does seem to be open-source, the challenge is getting rid of Player without him nuking the project.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH status: my adventures as a petrochemical engineer continue. I need to build additional distillation towers, and since they share walls, the number of blocks you need to craft can sometimes be difficult to math out. Which is why, whenever I'm having trouble, I wireframe the design in CAD.

Cages And Dirt. :haw:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hrmm. XXL Pants is basically dead but I kinda want to still use the server for something I'm just not sure what.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Checking in again after a half a year: Are there RTX Servers yet? I noticed that RTX support has 'come out of beta', but there doesn't seem to be any indication that I can spin up such a server, or that the existing server infrastructure supports the feature.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Uhh. Bedrock dedicated server support in general seems pretty alpha, let alone RTX Minecraft. Apparently there's an RTX discord somewhere around that you may be able to ask in.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm just waiting for raytrace custom shaders to come out of patreon early access hell because even as a vanilla enjoyer lmao @ bedrock edition

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Truga posted:

i'm just waiting for raytrace custom shaders to come out of patreon early access hell because even as a vanilla enjoyer lmao @ bedrock edition
You know all those cool mechanics that make vanilla minecraft good? We don't have them here in Bedrock.

But bedrock does have insanely good performance compared to vanilla. Just wish they'd go back and implement lots of behaviors that exist in java mc.

e: to be fair to bedrock, there are a few cool mechanics that only exist in bedrock. Just not the same amount.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 7, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Supposedly Fabric has very, very good performance characteristics as well. Hopefully they can unfuck it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

This is a silly question that I basically know the answer to, but: is there a setting to make newer versions of GregTech Community Edition use the older pipe models? I have an irrational but strong dislike for the newer skinny-with-cubes look.

I’ve been bouncing back and forth between GregBlock and Gregicality Skyblock Edition. Even though GSE is more up-to-date and has a number of QoL improvements, this is one of the sticking points for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

runchild posted:

This is a silly question that I basically know the answer to, but: is there a setting to make newer versions of GregTech Community Edition use the older pipe models? I have an irrational but strong dislike for the newer skinny-with-cubes look.

I’ve been bouncing back and forth between GregBlock and Gregicality Skyblock Edition. Even though GSE is more up-to-date and has a number of QoL improvements, this is one of the sticking points for me.
While I unfortunately don't have an answer to your question, what's the difference between Gregblock and GSE? Seems like they both aim to do more or less the same thing. Is it just that GSE is newer/more polished?

runchild
May 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

While I unfortunately don't have an answer to your question, what's the difference between Gregblock and GSE? Seems like they both aim to do more or less the same thing. Is it just that GSE is newer/more polished?

No worries, like I said I pretty much knew the answer. It was more of a roundabout way to complain if I’m being honest.

From what I can tell GSE dropped a few mods like Pneumaticraft and most of Project Red. The early game adds some stuff from Progressive Automation and Bonsai Pots, though it is very stingy with the hopping bonsais (which makes sense, those things are pretty OP). There’s probably plenty of other stuff I don’t know about too. Oh, and it re-added Thermal Dynamics, which was removed in GregBlock’s 2.0 update.

But you’re right that they are very similar. Gregicality itself seems to be a fork of Gregic Additions and the content from the other addons made for GregBlock. It was even called Gregic Additions Reworked originally, and Gregicality Skyblock Edition was GregBlock Reworked.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There are far too many Gregs

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Speaking of gregs, it's time for more gregposting

The fourth step of the road to going whole HOG (High Octane Gasoline) is finished! Light and heavy oils are being cracked, then distilled into further fractions; a staggering two (of 16) I actually need for HOG. The others are being stored for their usefulness in crafting, or are so useless that they can only burned for power. Basically bunker fuel!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Why is the 1.16.x Thermal Expansion pump useless? I just couldn't get it to go at all, I was setting up a simple Fluid Transposer to make gray concrete and it was powered up, I had the pump powered, I had a redstone signal going to it, it had the inputs configured, it had the fluid pipe connected ok. Just to be sure I also had power going to the top of it as well, nothing.

Switched in the Mekanism electric pump, instant action. It's always weird that there's always something in these mods that won't work and then you use an alternative pipe or energy cell or pump and it works fine. :iiam:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

runchild posted:

From what I can tell GSE dropped a few mods like Pneumaticraft and most of Project Red.
Two mods that no modpack has ever needed imo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I'm getting some decent use out of project red in GTNH. Circuitry is good for complex industrial processes!

runchild
May 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

GSE’s lack of the ProjectRed Project Bench is actually another big negative for me. It feels better than the Forestry Worktable or GregTech Crafting Station IMO. The red alloy wires and gates are nice too, though GSE still has that module so the two packs break even there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Speaking of gregs, it's time for more gregposting

The fourth step of the road to going whole HOG (High Octane Gasoline) is finished! Light and heavy oils are being cracked, then distilled into further fractions; a staggering two (of 16) I actually need for HOG. The others are being stored for their usefulness in crafting, or are so useless that they can only burned for power. Basically bunker fuel!

how are you getting your oil to the column? did you set up shop near a huge geyser, or do you have a massive overland pipeline?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how are you getting your oil to the column? did you set up shop near a huge geyser, or do you have a massive overland pipeline?

Right now, I'm ferrying oil manually from a moderately distant geyser with dollies and aluminum tanks. Eventually, though, I want to set up a multiblock drilling rig. I'm also on one of the prerelease alpha versions, which has a "long distance pipeline" feature (apparently cloned from the 1.12.2 version of GT6.) It basically teleports liquid from one distant area to another without the fluid actually being in the pipes, as long as both ends are in loaded chunks and there's an unbroken line of pipe blocks between.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Eox posted:

There are far too many Gregs

My theory is that Greg is the spirit of Gregor MacGregor. You should never trust anything that has a lot of Greg in it:

quote:

General Gregor MacGregor (24 December 1786 – 4 December 1845) was a Scottish soldier, adventurer, and confidence trickster who attempted from 1821 to 1837 to draw British and French investors and settlers to "Poyais", a fictional Central American territory that he claimed to rule as "Cazique". Hundreds invested their savings in supposed Poyaisian government bonds and land certificates, while about 250 emigrated to MacGregor's invented country in 1822–23 to find only an untouched jungle; more than half of them died. MacGregor's Poyais scheme has been called one of the most brazen confidence tricks in history.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Right now, I'm ferrying oil manually from a moderately distant geyser with dollies and aluminum tanks. Eventually, though, I want to set up a multiblock drilling rig. I'm also on one of the prerelease alpha versions, which has a "long distance pipeline" feature (apparently cloned from the 1.12.2 version of GT6.) It basically teleports liquid from one distant area to another without the fluid actually being in the pipes, as long as both ends are in loaded chunks and there's an unbroken line of pipe blocks between.

Well that's an stopgap solution to have before you get ender tanks, I suppose.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
What's the word on using AE in GTNH as I enter EV tier? Any tips?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Faldoncow posted:

What's the word on using AE in GTNH as I enter EV tier? Any tips?

It is very power hungry, so limit your AE2 stuff until you have really good power set up. I am technically in EV right now, but I haven't really built any AE stuff. I took a huge progression break to try and automate High Octane Gasoline.

I'm also holding out for logistics pipes potentially being added. I would totally do LP over AE2 just for style purposes.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm also holding out for logistics pipes potentially being added. I would totally do LP over AE2 just for style purposes.
Appropriately enough, in the recent README changes:

They've done an informal 2.1.0.3 release, so hopefully an official update isn't too far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Black Pants posted:

Also every mod dev seemingly decided to make their mod 100% more difficult to configure for no apparent reason.
i can kinda answer this. it's mostly not because of Forge at all.

1) Vanilla has started moving towards a system that requires intensive generic CODEC interfaces to anything that gets serialized. It's very convenient to use (on the code side) once you get the hang of it, but so far they've only implemented JSON and NBT formats.
2) Vanilla ships Gson now, and it's also really convenient to use, so you can just use that and not have to include another parsing/config library.
3) Vanilla also automatically generates most of the json from code anyway, and tools like BlockBench export directly to json, so you don't have to edit it by hand most of the time anyway.

There are some tools like http://commandcreator.com/Craft/ to generate json blobs for datapacks that can help make it a little less painful for stuff that's reflected in data packs.

For the rest... sorry :(

idk about this client/server/world crap tho, i haven't gotten there yet

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 10, 2021