Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I am watching 1983 again - the reliability of Patreses Brabham is shockingly bad. 1.5 car team IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bradburypancakes posted:

As a vegan, Lewis does have a good track record of destroying vegetables

:perfect:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

I am watching 1983 again - the reliability of Patreses Brabham is shockingly bad. 1.5 car team IMO.

I wonder what the last real "1.5 car team" was. Not in the A-B driver sense, but in the "one car is a real actually good car and one is built out of a three year old chassis and electrical tape and also Corrado Fabi and Philippe Steriff are inexplicably in it for like two races"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wonder what the last real "1.5 car team" was. Not in the A-B driver sense, but in the "one car is a real actually good car and one is built out of a three year old chassis and electrical tape and also Corrado Fabi and Philippe Steriff are inexplicably in it for like two races"

Ferrari but it was two 0.75 cars

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Maybe the 1992 Lotus? Hakkinen finished near enough twice as many races as Herbert, though the latter was rather accident prone I suppose.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Herbert was just a jinx trapped in a tiny human body, misfortune incarnated

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Pay your loving taxes Lewis, you shitheel.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
#MEGATAXES

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He ended racism, I think we can cut him some slack on his taxes

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He ended racism, I think we can cut him some slack on his taxes

Verstappen, and Raikkonen are still drivers. Racism still exists. At least he got rid of Kvyat.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Frond posted:

Probably the last year of real turbo teething before the race for HP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

more like lowtax hamilton

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Arrows in the mid to late 90s had that vibe although admittedly to a lesser degree. I wonder how many teams would’ve just opted to run one car if it was an option.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
All Brits should pay taxes to Sir Lewis as compensation for everything he has done for the nation.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

the corona quid posted:

Arrows in the mid to late 90s had that vibe although admittedly to a lesser degree. I wonder how many teams would’ve just opted to run one car if it was an option.

I don't really understand why they make it a rule that you had to enter two cars. I kind of wonder if any of the poo poo teams of the early 2010s might have done better if they only had to carry the cost of running one car.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can’t imagine the incremental cost of an extra car was that high, especially if it gives you the chance of putting a pay driver in.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Remember when they hired extremely unaccomplished Frenchman Francois Hesnault for no apparent reason?

I’d probably still say Brabham was the last, like, actually good team to do that.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

Near the very end of its life Brabham reverted to a single car for Damon Hill.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Checking in to see if Poois Shamilton has selfishly jipped himself out of an F1 drive allowing the true destiny of F1 - Dickeater Meatspin to be released from HAAS to drive for Merc and win WDC for the next 10 years while COVID19 inexplicably cancels races at all non-Tilke tracks - to be fulfilled

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol they ruled out any reverse grid races, just give mercedes the title again and get it over with then you loving assholes

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
reverse grid is dumb. at that point it's just a lovely overtaking challenge. chaos needs to evolve organically in the race

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilmucche posted:

reverse grid is dumb. at that point it's just a lovely overtaking challenge. chaos needs to evolve organically in the race

Overtaking presents inevitable risk that the drivers/teams must always calculate against and it is through that risk that chaos can and should be allowed to flourish.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I’m against gimmicks like reverse grids tbh and I think it’s trying to put a bandaid on how broken the rules are when really we should just be developing a better formula. Having said that when George fuccboi Russell can just jump in the car and start lapping the field it feels pretty stupid to have Mercedes putting up objections to poo poo like this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ban front wings

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

FAUXTON posted:

Ban front wings

Honestly just ban wings entirely. Ground effect only. Let's get loving wild.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Honestly just ban wings entirely. Ground effect only. Let's get loving wild.

lol they can drive it but let's see if they can land it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I still think the issue is thermal management and not the aerodynamics but time will tell if I’m right

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the corona quid posted:

I still think the issue is thermal management and not the aerodynamics but time will tell if I’m right

ban radiators

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I legitimately think there should be some mandated minimum unobstructed size for brake ducts and radiator exposure and that in and of itself would resolve a lot of issues with the current formula

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Allow wings but only if they produce lift

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

your friend wicka posted:

Allow wings but only if they produce lift

Newey would probably invent the first flying f1 car.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LochNessMonster posted:

Newey would probably invent the first flying f1 car.
Webber test-piloted it in Valencia.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
George Russel in a Mercedes provided more excitement and entertainment then Their Lewis ever did.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

ban radiators

i mean engine development would be much cheaper if the spec powerplant was a vw flat four

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
all engines have to be sourced from brazilian taxis

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

i mean engine development would be much cheaper if the spec powerplant was a vw flat four

As someone who’s father decided that having an ACVW as a family of four’s daily driver for three years in the 90s was a good idea this would be some wild poo poo to see.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the corona quid posted:

As someone who’s father decided that having an ACVW as a family of four’s daily driver for three years in the 90s was a good idea this would be some wild poo poo to see.

this air cooled corvair passed all through my dad's side of the family in the 90s and most of my memories of it are about overheating

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You are aware that 2022 regs include ground effects and drastically reducing wings, right?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

the paradigm shift posted:

this air cooled corvair passed all through my dad's side of the family in the 90s and most of my memories of it are about overheating

It was alright besides the fact that your choices in Canadian winter was absolutely no interior heat or pathetically weak interior heat with a slight exhaust smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

Thermal management and tyre life windows on pirelli re-used balloons.
Drivers can't mentally solve the moving simultaneous equation to keep both in balance, so a computer spits out a pace-target and they match it.
It's why racing is dull in a nutshell IMO, and why races where that model flies out the window own so much in comparison.