Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah we get 1-3 poops depending on length of walk. Guess it's just a greyhound thing. And numbers 2 and 3 get progressively runnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

To contribute to greyhound stubbornness stories, Josie most of the time refuses to do a 180 on a walk. If I try and turn around in place to head back, she digs in. Loops are the best of course, and streets are ok as we can cross the street, but on long walking paths and such I always have to pick her up at the turning point and carry her 15 feet back or so before she’ll consent to walk back the way we came.

She also doesn’t like the vet office, she does ok in the waiting area but I always have to carry her into the actual consult room. Otherwise she pulls away so hard on the lead I worry she’ll pop her little head off.

She hates walking in the rain, and once I tried walking her in a light snow with snow on the ground. She was ok for half a block before the deathly screaming began. We don’t walk when there’s snow on the ground anymore. (Not very often here, thankfully)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that’s odd; most long bois I’ve known go crazy for playing in the snow

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Our boy has been licking the crease between his hind leg and his belly a lot lately, just noticed that it looks a bit pink and irritated. Should I cone him until we can schedule a vet trip?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty is extremely good on lead. He's usually happy to go whatever direction you want to go, and will turn around or take whatever corner with just a gentle "c'mon boy, this way"

He also doesn't pull and doesn't refuse to move. In the depths of summer he sometimes overheats and needs a good lie down but it's never him refusing to move.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Further evidence Sparty is an extremely good boy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

greyhounds will just keep pooping if you walk them long enough, and they definitely get less firm and smaller over time until it's some extremely sad little dribble

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

Further evidence Sparty is an extremely good boy

He is at the bottom of the stairs right now yelling his fool head off because apparently being fed twice (plus snacks!) (plus chews!!) (plus treats for being good while wiping his feet!!!) isn't enough

So what I'm saying is you're lying :colbert:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sparty is a glorious shithead and we should all celebrate it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

that’s odd; most long bois I’ve known go crazy for playing in the snow

Well Josie is a girl so...

Katie had a very good day today. I tried to get her to take a walk in the morning before I started work but she would have none of it. I’m gonna keep trying girl!!! One day you’ll give in (maybe in March lol)

We did a 90 minute walk after lunch. If she wants to stay out that long in freezing temperatures, so be it (she was not shivering or anything). I hoped that this might tire her out enough not to get antsy in the early afternoon and it appears to have worked. At 4:30 she really wanted another walk. She seems to be weirder on her later walks - a lot more standing still and stubborn. We were out maybe 40 minutes and I was able to get some more work done until 6. I feel like I can gradually shift those times to be a bit more convenient.

After her dinner she seems a bit bored with me making dinner and wandered upstairs again, but she showed up in the kitchen again after a few minutes which means she went down the stairs by herself when she wasn’t getting encouragement or super hungry!

She got a Kong and I made a few very short trips out. On the video I can see that she seemed oblivious while she was working on the Kong, but the pipes started when she finished it. I think the way I’m filling it makes it too quick to eat, so I’ll try getting the contents wetter (and therefore more frozen) tonight.

Can’t wait for the -10 F morning on Sunday!!!

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
We made an apple tart tonight and Starbuck was so indignant she wasn't being fed more apple-y treats

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Well Josie is a girl so...

Katie had a very good day today. I tried to get her to take a walk in the morning before I started work but she would have none of it. I’m gonna keep trying girl!!! One day you’ll give in (maybe in March lol)

We did a 90 minute walk after lunch. If she wants to stay out that long in freezing temperatures, so be it (she was not shivering or anything). I hoped that this might tire her out enough not to get antsy in the early afternoon and it appears to have worked. At 4:30 she really wanted another walk. She seems to be weirder on her later walks - a lot more standing still and stubborn. We were out maybe 40 minutes and I was able to get some more work done until 6. I feel like I can gradually shift those times to be a bit more convenient.

After her dinner she seems a bit bored with me making dinner and wandered upstairs again, but she showed up in the kitchen again after a few minutes which means she went down the stairs by herself when she wasn’t getting encouragement or super hungry!

She got a Kong and I made a few very short trips out. On the video I can see that she seemed oblivious while she was working on the Kong, but the pipes started when she finished it. I think the way I’m filling it makes it too quick to eat, so I’ll try getting the contents wetter (and therefore more frozen) tonight.

Can’t wait for the -10 F morning on Sunday!!!

This is great news! She's getting comfortable with her new home and gaining confidence in her surroundings.

One thing we did with sparty is put soft bedding everywhere. He will follow us around the house but eventually gets tired of standing, so he'll go to the nearest soft spot and dramatically sigh as he looks longingly at the food bin

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

This is great news! She's getting comfortable with her new home and gaining confidence in her surroundings.

One thing we did with sparty is put soft bedding everywhere. He will follow us around the house but eventually gets tired of standing, so he'll go to the nearest soft spot and dramatically sigh as he looks longingly at the food bin

Yeah I only have one bed so far (two if you count the crate) and I move it around depending on where I am. I bought another fancy bed last weekend but Her Highnesses let me know it was unacceptable after an hour. We’re gonna exchange it next weekend. Eventually she will have three beds for the different spots she would be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drp8Gu4lx5U

holy christ the speed on this whippet

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Everyone knows the high jump champ is a greyhound, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1JbvTZv2o

david_a fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 4, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I knew long jump but didn't know high jump!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it possible to tell after nearly two weeks if Katie is happy here with me, or do I need more time? I worry about her.

Most times when we’re outside she’ll plant herself in a spot and look around for minutes on end. Today I had to force her to move because she was visibly shivering after standing in one windy spot for like 10 minutes. Some of the time she walks just fine and sniffs around at everything. She only really seems interested in taking one monster walk per day after lunch; we’re outside for like 90 minutes at least (I feel like she’s immobile for nearly half that time so we don’t cover much ground). She’s shown no interest in running or zooming while off-leash.

She tore the squeaker out of her poor lamb chop toy today and also chewed up the zipper on her bed cover (she may have swallowed a tiny bit of the plastic zipper track, I can’t tell - that was like 5 hours ago and she’s not in any distress). I don’t know if she’s a bit miffed that I can’t constantly pay attention to her when I’m working but that might be me projecting.

I left her alone for about 12 minutes today and she started crying after about 3.5 minutes (she had a Kong she was eating before that). She pawed at the crate door a little bit but eventually laid down to cry, so she wasn’t totally freaking out.

I know a lot of this is probably expected with the cold weather, settling in, and general sighthound stubbornness/drama, but I can’t help but be a bit worried about her. My worst fear is that she just won’t do well as an only dog and that I can’t make her happy.

Picture tax: here’s Katie creeping on some neighbor kids yesterday. She seems really drawn to kids in general, not sure if that’s because they’re loud or she hasn’t seen many of them

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It's tough right now with covid, but is she able to interact with any other greyhounds?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

It's tough right now with covid, but is she able to interact with any other greyhounds?

There’s a meet’n’greet for the adoption group this weekend at a brewery I’m gonna plan on going to. It’s gonna be ludicrously cold that day anyway so she will barely be able to go outside. I suppose she might recognize the other greys since they should have all been at the same kennel down in Florida.

I got some encouragement from my adoption representative that it all sounds normal so I’m calmed down a little bit...

... if it wasn’t for that piece of zipper she might have eaten. I’m gonna watch her extra careful for the next two days and probably call the vet tomorrow since I’m paranoid after reading about dogs eating plastic. :ohdear:

I’m also gonna try doing some activities with her in lieu of physical exercise for the next week as an arctic front passes. She sure does love food so some games involving that will probably be a hit.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have extremely limited experience given we got our girl back in September but it took a good two months before she settled and seemed happy to see us and stuff. So a lot of what you said seems normal.

My only concern would be that you might want to start leaving her for little bits and build that up. Otherwise when you do need to leave her for a few hours she might freak out. Unless I’ve read you wrong and you do go out without her at times?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

I know a lot of this is probably expected with the cold weather, settling in, and general sighthound stubbornness/drama, but I can’t help but be a bit worried about her. My worst fear is that she just won’t do well as an only dog and that I can’t make her happy.

I had a lot of this feeling when we first got Gello, and I was so worried that I was breaking my dog and she'd never be truly happy and would never, ever trust us. Two years down the line and she's coming to ask for cuddles and is overall a completely different dog than when we first rescued her.

As far as I can tell from your posts, you're doing all the right things. She's taking time to adjust, and that's okay. You're doing good by nipping the separation anxiety in the bud, and by taking her out and letting her see stuff at her own pace.

Also, check out Susan Garrett, she has a lot of fun indoor doggie games that also build confidence and bonding.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Is it possible to tell after nearly two weeks if Katie is happy here with me, or do I need more time? I worry about her.

Most times when we’re outside she’ll plant herself in a spot and look around for minutes on end. Today I had to force her to move because she was visibly shivering after standing in one windy spot for like 10 minutes. Some of the time she walks just fine and sniffs around at everything. She only really seems interested in taking one monster walk per day after lunch; we’re outside for like 90 minutes at least (I feel like she’s immobile for nearly half that time so we don’t cover much ground). She’s shown no interest in running or zooming while off-leash.

She tore the squeaker out of her poor lamb chop toy today and also chewed up the zipper on her bed cover (she may have swallowed a tiny bit of the plastic zipper track, I can’t tell - that was like 5 hours ago and she’s not in any distress). I don’t know if she’s a bit miffed that I can’t constantly pay attention to her when I’m working but that might be me projecting.

I left her alone for about 12 minutes today and she started crying after about 3.5 minutes (she had a Kong she was eating before that). She pawed at the crate door a little bit but eventually laid down to cry, so she wasn’t totally freaking out.

Picture tax: here’s Katie creeping on some neighbor kids yesterday. She seems really drawn to kids in general, not sure if that’s because they’re loud or she hasn’t seen many of them

This sounds completely normal. It's going to
take months for you two to settle in, and she's going to seem like a completely different dog by the end. She's still learning how to be a pet, after all.

For games, "it's your choice" is a great one for teaching "stay" and "leave it" and works especially well for food motivated pups. Look into operant conditioning and clicker training and there's no limit to the games you can come up with that have training as a side effect

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Thanks everyone, I figured it was mostly on my end. The reassurances are helpful.

Red_Fred posted:

My only concern would be that you might want to start leaving her for little bits and build that up. Otherwise when you do need to leave her for a few hours she might freak out. Unless I’ve read you wrong and you do go out without her at times?

Well it’s WFH so there’s not much reason for me to leave, but every day this week I’ve left her alone a little bit (taking out the trash, getting the mail, etc). The longest was the 12 minutes yesterday. She always gets a Kong in the crate. I haven’t figured out the magic recipe for those yet - too wet and she eats it really fast, too frozen and she will only eat a part of it before it gets too hard.

I was hoping to build up to me getting groceries this weekend (there’s a store nearby, but that would be at least 30 minutes). I don’t know how to gauge whether she’s ready for that. Worst case I can get groceries delivered again and we can shoot for next weekend.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Figure out how long she’s definitely happy with you being away - seems like it’s 10 minutes - and do that over and over again.

Think about it this way. Every time you leave her long enough she gets upset, you erode a bit of her trust that you’ll always come back. Every time you come back before she gets upset, you boost her trust that you’ll always come back.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yep, since you are getting here when you are home basically all the time, it's important to have times where you are not home and build up the duration over time. And if you are planning to not be WFH at some point in the near future, it's even more important.

The biggest thing about the Kong is that it signals that are you leaving, but it's a reward, so she doesn't see you leaving as just being a negative - she associates it with something positive.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
She gets a Kong in the morning too when I go take a shower and change. Earlier in the week she was even whining when I was only upstairs, but I think that stopped.

I think her tolerance for me being gone is around 3.5 - 6 minutes. We aren’t all going back to the office until like December so I got a while to work on that part at least...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

She gets a Kong in the morning too when I go take a shower and change. Earlier in the week she was even whining when I was only upstairs, but I think that stopped.

I think her tolerance for me being gone is around 3.5 - 6 minutes. We aren’t all going back to the office until like December so I got a while to work on that part at least...

I would recommend increasing it a bit each day if possible. When I got Abby I started with 30 min, but very quickly I was doing half days at work, and within a month it was a full work day. Also in that initial period I recorded her on my webcam to see her behavior, so that might be helpful.

I also would always say the same thing when I left ("I'll be back" lol) so she immediately knew that I was leaving. She actually would get quite excited because she knew she'd be getting the Kong! And the Kong is all about that first 10-15 minutes where the anxiety is highest.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 5, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Got Abby barking on video. She only does this if she gets REALLY excited about something. Every evening she gets a turkey treat, which I refer to as "turkey time." Well it's insanely cold out today so she has definite cabin fever, so I figured I'd do a bonus one. Turkey time plus all that pent up energy equals this

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1357784655097966593

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Got Abby barking on video. She only does this if she gets REALLY excited about something. Every evening she gets a turkey treat, which I refer to as "turkey time." Well it's insanely cold out today so she has definite cabin fever, so I figured I'd do a bonus one. Turkey time plus all that pent up energy equals this

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1357784655097966593

Aww Abby :kimchi: what a turkey!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

T U R K E Y T I M E

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

she barks so rarely that half the time it comes out as some weird whimper

I don't know if the no barking thing is more common in greyhounds or if it's just her.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’ve caught lemon doing a singular bark in excitement about three times. She does howl at sirens though if she’s outside.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie barks all the time. Today it was a cat that was insolently sitting right outside the sliding glass door (when she sees it outside she doesn’t bark). Most of her barking is directed at the infernal ghost dog that lives outside the glass door - usually only shows up in the mornings and evenings...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty barks all the loving time.

He. Will. Not. Shut. Up. He barks more than my mutt, who once again is the perfect angel dog. Even worse, he never roos.

More proof that sparty is broken.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Our girl had an encounter with a cat on our walk just now. We didn’t realise until we were a few meters away that there was blood running down her leg. We used a clean poop bag to wrap it until we got home. Then we wiped it all down with salty water, put some cotton pads on a wrapped it with that tape that sticks to itself.

She seems to be walking on it mostly fine, if a little gingerly, but the bleeding has stopped and she’s chilling and not licking it any longer.

Is there anything else we should do? This is the first time we’ve had to treat any sort of injury so just want to make sure we are doing all the right things.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

Our girl had an encounter with a cat on our walk just now. We didn’t realise until we were a few meters away that there was blood running down her leg. We used a clean poop bag to wrap it until we got home. Then we wiped it all down with salty water, put some cotton pads on a wrapped it with that tape that sticks to itself.

She seems to be walking on it mostly fine, if a little gingerly, but the bleeding has stopped and she’s chilling and not licking it any longer.

Is there anything else we should do? This is the first time we’ve had to treat any sort of injury so just want to make sure we are doing all the right things.

Nope it sounds like you did fine. Just re-dress it every day and keep an eye on to make sure it’s healing normally and not looking inflamed or infected. After a couple days stop wrapping it so it can dry out in the air and scab over properly.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
That tape that sticks to itself (I call it wound wrap) is amazing for bandages, especially for animals. It's stretchy so you're unlikely to bind too tight, it doesn't stick to fur so it's not painful to remove, and it holds in place well especially if you tuck the end under the wrap. I bought a box of it after wrapping spartys feet one too many times

We also use neosporin or petroleum jelly sometimes to help with healing

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

current windchill -26. Abby goes out back, pees, says I've had enough, we wait a bit, then she runs back out and poops

it's like one minute max, poor girl

a few years ago we had a -58 windchill, i wrapped a scarf around her head

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

current windchill -26. Abby goes out back, pees, says I've had enough, we wait a bit, then she runs back out and poops

it's like one minute max, poor girl

a few years ago we had a -58 windchill, i wrapped a scarf around her head

Sparty runs hot, we've never gotten him a coat or anything and I don't remember ever seeing him shiver

He hurt his foot because he got too excited about snow. He limped for a bit then ran around like an idiot for half an hour, refusing to come in and get warm. We weren't too worried since he screams like a baby at the slightest thing touching his foot. Once he came inside and his feet warmed up he bled all over the linoleum. He'd torn the webbing between his toes :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

need to put sparty in one of those giant plastic balls to keep him safe