Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (November 29, 1926), I wonder if the blush on the billboard model is meant to indicate anything about her relationship with the other billboard model.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Absolutely not bottom-of-the-paged.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/q4ymIvx.mp4

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Johnny Walker posted:

SNL did a bit on that second panel premise way back. I remember it being funny, but in retrospect, it's kinda creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwfdFCP3KYM
I used to love that bit but can't imagine how a then 14 year old Emma Watson must have felt.

B Kliban

Let Babish show you how to make your own evil black spaghetti!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPdln-PUZuE

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Drimble Wedge posted:

...what is her hand holding on to, and why is he making that face?

In your heart, you already know

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Samovar posted:

In today's Blueberry: Graig never looks a gift horse in the mouth, or It's over, Graig! They have the high ground!, or Be careful, Graig, that's what did in for Christopher Reeve...

I recognize that this is because you're doing the translating here, but I still want to say that I appreciate that the natives are talking like normal people and not in the broken English they use in so many westerns.

ETA: Hit post too soon. I'd hate for you to miss Luann!

The employees all leave the building right at the stroke of closing time. That's how restaurants work, right?

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 5, 2021

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (November 29, 1926), I wonder if the blush on the billboard model is meant to indicate anything about her relationship with the other billboard model.

Counting the two billboard models, there are seven women in this strip. None are recurring characters, and all are visually distinct. The craftsmanship on this strip is astounding.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This is the most laughs I've gotten out of Buck Mild ever, or a value greater than zero.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

hahahaha. finally Rex Morgan is interesting.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Hitz has a serious psychological disorder. Alcoholic kleptomania or something like that.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This really doesn't sit well with me (I know about Lynn's problematic history). This kid is terrified of going home and Lynn's just clueless. I get the sense that if Mike told his mom that she still wouldn't give a poo poo.

Is there a guide to the Dark History of FBOW? I know there was something with a RL divorce and a tacked-on happy ending. Always fascinated by sordid details of vanilla worlds.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 15, 1943)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Val was scared :allears:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cobalt-60 posted:

Is there a guide to the Dark History of FBOW? I know there was something with a RL divorce and a tacked-on happy ending. Always fascinated by sordid details of vanilla worlds.

The only pieces of it that I know for sure is something about leaving kids out in the cold “for their good” and that Lynn’s irl kids hate her. I think one of the kids is also LGBT but Lynn made them straight in the strip? Someone else might be able to fill in the details better.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It's not often that Rex Morgan gives us gold, but when it does...

The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 23rd, 1940

Axa

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cobalt-60 posted:

The basics as I remember them are:
The Husband Dentist left her because he was cheating with his dental assistant
The Son is actually gay, obviously did not marry his childhood sweetheart as in the strip. The woman in question in real life died in a car crash and he was working as a photographer at the time and didn't realize she had died in a wreck that he took pictures of. It messed him up.
The Older Dog died saving one of the Daughters from drowning when they were young. Memory is a little hazier here because either the Younger Dog or the Younger Daughter (both?) are a complete fabrication.

The only pieces of it that I know for sure is something about leaving kids out in the cold “for their good” and that Lynn’s irl kids hate her. I think one of the kids is also LGBT but Lynn made them straight in the strip? Someone else might be able to fill in the details better.

She left a kid out in the cold/snow without proper warm clothes on. The quote was something like "an angel told me I should let them back in."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Potsticker posted:

The basics as I remember them are:
The Husband Dentist left her because he was cheating with his dental assistant
The Son is actually gay, obviously did not marry his childhood sweetheart as in the strip. The woman in question in real life died in a car crash and he was working as a photographer at the time and didn't realize she had died in a wreck that he took pictures of. It messed him up.
The Older Dog died saving one of the Daughters from drowning when they were young. Memory is a little hazier here because either the Younger Dog or the Younger Daughter (both?) are a complete fabrication.

She left a kid out in the cold/snow without proper warm clothes on. The quote was something like "an angel told me I should let them back in."

Thanks. I figured someone was more familiar with the whole bundle of crazy. A lot of it sounds like reveals at the end of the original Roseanne.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Thanks. I figured someone was more familiar with the whole bundle of crazy. A lot of it sounds like reveals at the end of the original Roseanne.

I wanna say there was something about eating over a sink? But the many threads have become a blur to me.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

April Foob is a fabricated entity, yeah. She exists to be the daughter the family didn't have which is weird because they don't like her.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Potsticker posted:

To add on to this one: Lynn recounted the car crash incident pretty much exactly the same in the strip but instead the woman lives, falls in love with Michael and then they have multiple children.

I can't remember exactly, but I think there was some other whitewashing of a real life situation with Elizabeth and Anthony as well.

BigDave posted:

I wanna say there was something about eating over a sink? But the many threads have become a blur to me.

It was from an interview she gave after her divorce.

quote:

Not that her ex-husband would have behaved that way, she hastens to point out, but still, she likes the simplicity of single life, the ease of "sink dinners".

"You stand over the sink and eat dinner. You eat a hard-boiled egg, a handful of lettuce and hey, there's no dishes."

Edit: Jeez, the car crash strips were a lot worse than I remembered:
April 27th 1996 - May 11th 1996

Spoilering this because JFC:

With this kind of heavy-handed and judgmental re-writing of history, it's no wonder her children don't want to talk to her.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 6, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Potsticker posted:

The article featuring that is here. Specifically:

quote:

Heintjes: This was Doug, the man who gave you Aaron?

Johnston: Yes, and when I had Aaron, he left me, and I didn’t know how to raise a child. And I wasn’t close to my parents, and because I was too proud to go to my parents for help, I mistreated that little baby. I didn’t want a baby. I wanted the stability that a family was supposed to represent. And a baby can’t say, “Thanks, Mom, for feeding me and keeping me warm and dry even though I screamed my lungs out all night last night.” And they want and they want and they want and they want. The only satisfaction you have is that they’re fed and they’re warm and they’re safe and they’re thriving, and they smile at you every once in a while. They’re not going to thank you until they’re 45 [laughter].

I remember once when he was very unhappy and he was screaming and screaming, and I threw him out into a snow bank in his pajamas. This was in Ontario, and it was not warm here. And he put his hands against the window of the front door, pleading to be let in. And I was inside, screaming at him, “If you don’t want to sleep all night, you can friggin’ sleep outside!” And this was a teeny baby. And I don’t know what it was—it was almost like at that moment, my guardian angel put his hand on my shoulder and said, “Open the door.”

The next morning, I called a very good friend of mine who was working at the hospital. I had also been doing some work for this hospital on a freelance basis. And I said to my friend, “I need some help. I don’t known how to parent.” Now, you say to yourself, “I’m a mature adult—I should know how to parent.” But raising a child is not like training a dog. [laughter] I was not a sensible mother. I just didn’t know what I was supposed to do. I didn’t know about time out. I didn’t know to say, “OK, we’re both out of control, let’s have time out for five minutes and calm down.”

I was in a very unhappy situation. I was lonely, I was single, and I had all the elements set against me. I had no support. And it didn’t help that I had a very irritable, difficult child. He’s going to go into the theater [laughter]. He’s a performer. He’s witty. He could go into stand-up comedy. He’s taken all his anger and turned it into something creative.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The sad part is I highly suspect Lynn had PPD. Combine that with everything else, and it's a miracle worse poo poo didn't happen.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I, too, thank an Angel for that time I didn't kill my son.

But now, well, now we can laugh about it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 15, 1943)

Aw! He’s just a friendly fella who wanted to say hi! :3:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

plainswalker75 posted:

I can't remember exactly, but I think there was some other whitewashing of a real life situation with Elizabeth and Anthony as well.

I think I remember this one. IRL Liz went off to teach in a small northern community, where she dealt with aboriginal kids and groups, and was IIRC at least dating someone from that community. comic Liz ended up being brought back to her hometown to marry 'that nice boy' her mother liked, complete with a kid already from a previous marriage.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I like that the cat is now just there. It's a good cat, too.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
he’s batting at pierce’s earring :3:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I need to clear out some books so I can move Tintin and make this the dedicated comic strip megathread cube. :3:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (February 14, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 2, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 9, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 9, 1935)

Dark Laughter (August 9, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (May 11, 1947)

Those Were the Days (May 31, 1951)

Wee Pals (April 30, 1965)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Hah, this wouldn't feel out of place in Nu-Nancy. Olivia Jaimes must've read a lot of the Bushmiller era to help her set the tone in her comics.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

The grand opening of Osto-Mekka (lit. "Shopping Mecca"), Mämmilä's brand new supermarket. This is what they built over Rönkä's house.

I know he was traumatized by Uffe's betrayal and losing his home, but Rönkä is really going off the deep end here. :ohdear:

plainswalker75 posted:

Edit: Jeez, the car crash strips were a lot worse than I remembered:
April 27th 1996 - May 11th 1996

With this kind of heavy-handed and judgmental re-writing of history, it's no wonder her children don't want to talk to her.

I knew about how Lynn wrote her son's old friend surviving in her comic, but you're right about how judgmental this is. I can only imagine how terrible it must have felt for IRL Michael to read about this as it came out. And that's not getting into how Lynn made him straight in her wish fulfillment comic.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

Getting real Nixon vibe.

And thus closes Drawn and Quartered.

I have to see what I have ready, or start scannin'

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This took me too long to see, but what a fantastic gag.

I feel like I'm missing the punchline on this one, though.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

amigolupus posted:

Hah, this wouldn't feel out of place in Nu-Nancy. Olivia Jaimes must've read a lot of the Bushmiller era to help her set the tone in her comics.

Yeah, there's a lot of "Nancy is extremely literal" in the Bushmiller strips that Jaimes has borrowed from

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm still disappointed that nothing happened between Ted Tinkerson and that FBI agent who really wanted chicken wings.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Potsticker posted:

This took me too long to see, but what a fantastic gag.

I feel like I'm missing the punchline on this one, though.

The above ground train system in NYC got removed when the bridges and tunnels for cars/trucks became common.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

The above ground train system in NYC got removed when the bridges and tunnels for cars/trucks became common.

Oh, okay. I thought it might be something like that, but I didn't see anything that would indicate there used to be trains and didn't know the history. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Oh, okay. I thought it might be something like that, but I didn't see anything that would indicate there used to be trains and didn't know the history. Thanks!

The RCA Building (which is now better known as 30 Rock) in the background is a clue -- Addams was probably thinking of the Sixth Avenue elevated line, which was torn down in the late 1930s and replaced by subways.