Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This is the only Ys game I own and I don't remember getting it. I guess I just start with this one or something and move down the chain?

gonna take me 20 years to burn through it

Play it because you own it, then jump to Ys 9 if you want. Or any of the others, for that matter. Pretty much the only Ys game you shouldn't play BEFORE another Ys game is Ys 2, which is the second half of Ys 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Enjoying this quest were you go to a bunch of starving poor people and give them a flower and they cheer up, because giving them money just made them lazy and ungrateful.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Finished CS4 at last. I believe in a future for Zemuria where everyone can either not crawl through vents, or do so silently.

I feel like I don't have any fresh takes to add in terms of things I didn't like, so instead I'll focus on stuff that stood out to me as really good.

-I chose Laura as Rean's romantic interest and I felt like what was shown there was satisfying.

-While I felt like having big speeches about how Olivert's ideals will live on through all the lives he's touched, but then he just lives too was kinda silly, he's one of my favorite characters and getting to see him and Schera get married was enough to
defuse any complaints I had.

-Jusis punching Rufus in the face was good. Osborne and everyone else had their various copouts with regards to motive but a lot of Rufus' behavior throughout these games has been downright monstrous and I feel like even if he seemed okay with how things turned out him being held accountable for his crimes is good.

-I'm actually glad Crow lived. Either let him live or don't bring him back from the dead at all. The ending may have been way too happy but in some ways that feels like a deserved counterbalance to how unbelievably dark the end of CS3 was.

-Schmidt, a person who has shown to have literally no sense of ethics as long as he can do what he thinks is interesting, suddenly talking down Alberich rang kind of hollow, but on the other hand I liked the other end of that scene with George, a fictional persona, becoming the real deal and him finding himself.

-Duvalie's arc in this game was really satisfying following her "what have we done" moment in cs3. Her turnaround felt the most natural to me since in CS2 one of her defining moments was expressing disgust towards the actions Jusis' father took.

-The night everyone spends at mishelam had so many really enjoyable character interactions and it was one of my favorite parts. The drinking contest quest was a lot of fun.

-All that stuff with McBurn was really interesting. Prior to that, Juna just saying what we're all thinking and yelling at Campanella and Mariabell at how confusing Ouroboros is was a great moment.

Overall Erebonia arc was a lot of fun. I'll be looking forward to when the next game gets localized whenever it does because I really like Zemuria and I'll be happy to go back.

edit: Oh right I forgot to mention, honest truth my favorite scene in the whole thing was definitely Rean trying and failing to smoke a cigar.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 5, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sakurazuka posted:

Enjoying this quest were you go to a bunch of starving poor people and give them a flower and they cheer up, because giving them money just made them lazy and ungrateful.

Pull yourself by your bootstraps, poor people! No handouts. Thoughts and prayers Here's a flower.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I would very much recommend playing Ys 7 after 6, because of a character who's important in both

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
The music in the Ys games is so good you find any excuse to replay them again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CKQqDMusIo

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is Ys IX? Reviews seem to say that it is basically 8, but wether it is better or worse depends on who you ask.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Ys IX? Reviews seem to say that it is basically 8, but wether it is better or worse depends on who you ask.

Bad intro, terrible politics whenever it decides to talk about politics for some reason, but great everything else.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So far (in in chapter 7) Ys IX treads closely to VIII in function which is mostly a good thing imo, but I'm growing tired of getting strung along plotwise. Love all the Monstrums though.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I love the Ys games dearly as my favorite ARPGs, but Adol leaving these people he went on a whole quest with and killed god for to never see them again every game makes the the character's ring hollow once I stop playing. It hurts the modern party games a lot more, but It still affects the classic solo games too. Adol needs to build a castle in the center of the continent where his friends can come visit him after he kills god for the 8th time or get dragged into something that requires him to call up all his old friends for help such as being forced to dismantle Romn.

Basically going halfway with an interconnected game series isn't exactly a good thing if you ask me.
Balduq is GORGEOUS btw.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
One thing that I still love is that, yes, Adol gets wrapped up in every prophecy and major disaster/magic BS that he comes into contact with, but he's never actually revealed to be, like, all that special?

Like, from what we're told he was just a normal teenager raised by some farmers who just happened to love adventure, he went to wander about when he turned 18, and then his life became a nearly yearly cycle of having to deal with finding ancient books, or recovering his memories through traveling through an uncharted forest, or stopping a demon from wrecking his blue himbo buddy's hometown, or getting shipwrecked on an ancient mystic island, or what have you

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Junpei posted:

One thing that I still love is that, yes, Adol gets wrapped up in every prophecy and major disaster/magic BS that he comes into contact with, but he's never actually revealed to be, like, all that special?

Like, from what we're told he was just a normal teenager raised by some farmers who just happened to love adventure, he went to wander about when he turned 18, and then his life became a nearly yearly cycle of having to deal with finding ancient books, or recovering his memories through traveling through an uncharted forest, or stopping a demon from wrecking his blue himbo buddy's hometown, or getting shipwrecked on an ancient mystic island, or what have you

I love how you can pick dialogue options in IX that show that Adol is just living his best life and loving every minute of it. He's just always excited to be adventuring and nothing phases him.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ethiser posted:

I love how you can pick dialogue options in IX that show that Adol is just living his best life and loving every minute of it. He's just always excited to be adventuring and nothing phases him.

Yeah same, Adol may have no vocal chords, but his personality is pretty obvious and present so that's great.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Endorph posted:

sky 1 is best played on pc id say because they patched in a turbo mode and some of the battle animations can be real slow. if you don't midn it being sluggish tho you can get it as a psp classic on vita im p. sure

probably will just do vita, I don't play games on my PC unless I have to. Thanks for the recommendation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

Finished CS4 at last. I believe in a future for Zemuria where everyone can either not crawl through vents, or do so silently.

I feel like I don't have any fresh takes to add in terms of things I didn't like, so instead I'll focus on stuff that stood out to me as really good.

-I chose Laura as Rean's romantic interest and I felt like what was shown there was satisfying.

-While I felt like having big speeches about how Olivert's ideals will live on through all the lives he's touched, but then he just lives too was kinda silly, he's one of my favorite characters and getting to see him and Schera get married was enough to
defuse any complaints I had.

-Jusis punching Rufus in the face was good. Osborne and everyone else had their various copouts with regards to motive but a lot of Rufus' behavior throughout these games has been downright monstrous and I feel like even if he seemed okay with how things turned out him being held accountable for his crimes is good.

-I'm actually glad Crow lived. Either let him live or don't bring him back from the dead at all. The ending may have been way too happy but in some ways that feels like a deserved counterbalance to how unbelievably dark the end of CS3 was.

-Schmidt, a person who has shown to have literally no sense of ethics as long as he can do what he thinks is interesting, suddenly talking down Alberich rang kind of hollow, but on the other hand I liked the other end of that scene with George, a fictional persona, becoming the real deal and him finding himself.

-Duvalie's arc in this game was really satisfying following her "what have we done" moment in cs3. Her turnaround felt the most natural to me since in CS2 one of her defining moments was expressing disgust towards the actions Jusis' father took.

-The night everyone spends at mishelam had so many really enjoyable character interactions and it was one of my favorite parts. The drinking contest quest was a lot of fun.

-All that stuff with McBurn was really interesting. Prior to that, Juna just saying what we're all thinking and yelling at Campanella and Mariabell at how confusing Ouroboros is was a great moment.

Overall Erebonia arc was a lot of fun. I'll be looking forward to when the next game gets localized whenever it does because I really like Zemuria and I'll be happy to go back.

edit: Oh right I forgot to mention, honest truth my favorite scene in the whole thing was definitely Rean trying and failing to smoke a cigar.

Schmidt I don't think has no ethics. He is a complete rear end in a top hat but he's also very blunt about expecting a lot from his students. He basically has no shame about testing crazy poo poo out but he also only really does it on people who he believes can handle it. He isn't afraid to lend his hand to someone who he thinks might help him further his goals but pretty much only when he is fairly confident he can understand the consequences. He's a weird standoffish poo poo but he really genuinely does believe in his students which is why he demands so much from them.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sir Tonk posted:

probably will just do vita, I don't play games on my PC unless I have to. Thanks for the recommendation

Us. I did it though because TC isnt on PSP over here and Turbo helps a lot.
You can hack your vita pretty easily to get the Evo Version working which are generally faster and have the PC scripts inserted

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Lets say I want to start playing Ys

do I really need to play Origins first and work my way through 9 games

i played through ys book I&II on the TG16 mini recently and it was quite fun, if you can tolerate games of that era.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Junpei posted:

when is Ys 5 gonna get remade, like how Wanderers from Ys was remade into Oath in Felghana, and both versions of Ys 4 got remade into Memories of Celceta

for real

Unlucky7 posted:

im like halfway through and this is pretty much my impression. the characters are fun, but i miss the shipwreck story of VIII.

i like the new stuff they added, lots of interesting abilities.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 6, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Finally getting started with Ys IX and it really does feel like it's just trying to be more Ys 8. Which I am all for because Ys 8 was the best.

The new focus on vertical exploration is a mixed bag though. Wall climbing and teleporting around roof tops is fun and cool but it feels a bit finicky at time and even with the map showing whether chests are above or below you it can kinda confusing interpreting where something is. Also is it just me or is dashing slightly slower than in 8? I just don't feel quite as fast as in 8, but maybe the world's just bigger and more spreadout and i'm imagining things?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

ImpAtom posted:

Schmidt I don't think has no ethics. He is a complete rear end in a top hat but he's also very blunt about expecting a lot from his students. He basically has no shame about testing crazy poo poo out but he also only really does it on people who he believes can handle it. He isn't afraid to lend his hand to someone who he thinks might help him further his goals but pretty much only when he is fairly confident he can understand the consequences. He's a weird standoffish poo poo but he really genuinely does believe in his students which is why he demands so much from them.

I admittedly might be dragging some real world baggage in there, he just comes off very much like he doesn't care how his inventions will be used or who he's making them for so long as he gets to do what he thinks is interesting. I don't think his treatment of his students is unethical, just as a scientist he seems to take an amoral approach to the entire process. I understand that his verbal takedown of Alberich was more related to pointing out flaws in the design of his 'capstone project' but it feels like it was written there to make the player feel like he's joining the "actually we're all good" party but I just don't personally read Schmidt as being either good or evil, doesn't feel like that comes into the equation for him at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nep-Nep posted:

I admittedly might be dragging some real world baggage in there, he just comes off very much like he doesn't care how his inventions will be used or who he's making them for so long as he gets to do what he thinks is interesting. I don't think his treatment of his students is unethical, just as a scientist he seems to take an amoral approach to the entire process. I understand that his verbal takedown of Alberich was more related to pointing out flaws in the design of his 'capstone project' but it feels like it was written there to make the player feel like he's joining the "actually we're all good" party but I just don't personally read Schmidt as being either good or evil, doesn't feel like that comes into the equation for him at all.

I'm pretty sure he quite explicitly built weapons for the bad guys just because he could.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Exactly!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ys 8 is already on the switch and 9 isn’t right? Wonder if I just pick up 8 if it goes on sale for now

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

don't

it sucks rear end on switch

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's really good actually.

Maybe there's issues in handheld mode or something but I only ever played it docked and experienced no issues.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

really good???? i would call it playable, i mean i played it for 80 hours or whatever, but really good?

it has constant framedrops, stutters, and the dynamic resolution goes loving wild whenever you're looking at anything that isn't a wall. on handheld mode you can even get the resolution switching stuck in a loop of altering itself several times every second which creates a wonderfully stable image

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
i played all of VIII on switch and it was fine enough, but yeah the PS4 version is much smoother if you have that option.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just want you all to know I would die for Hawk, Raging Bull and Renegade

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Doll4Lyfe

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Raging Bull is voiced in English by the person who did Juna right? They way she screams hammer and talks about chest sound very familiar.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Is it just me or are materials a lot harder to find in Ys9? All the introduced party members are generally having better gear than my guys and I have no idea where I'd find enough copper or iron to keep up before big big dungeons that tend to end chapters.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I played Ys 8 on pc at 144hz and there’s no way I can play it at a lower FPS. The demo of ix on ps4 was hard at its unstable 60ish. Yes I’ve become that guy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gorelab posted:

Is it just me or are materials a lot harder to find in Ys9? All the introduced party members are generally having better gear than my guys and I have no idea where I'd find enough copper or iron to keep up before big big dungeons that tend to end chapters.

I get all mine using the twilight shards I got from the first couple of chapters, I dunno what I'll do after those run out, though at some point I guess I'll run out of new areas to unlock and star accruing some more.

Is anyone else finding it insanely easy? I turned up to hard and didn't notice much difference. I don't want to change it to Nightmare because I'd have to restart to get the trophy lol

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gorelab posted:

I've been playing on hard and just buying new equipment at the start of each chapter. I haven't found it necessary to upgrade anything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nep-Nep posted:

Schmidt is a massive arsehole but he does show points in CS3 and 4 where he's not completely inhuman. In particular in CS3 there's him keeping Alberich's watch as a memento (despite disparaging him for dying), him comforting Altina (in his own way) over what happened in the goliath soldat, and you also see the way he talks about Elliot and Machias at the palace during the royal party.

He's not meant to be likeable, but as someone of South Asian heritage his attitude is very familiar to me of what was unfortunately popularised in the west by Amy Chua (massive shithead) as "tiger parenting" as a concept that reflects parenting in several regions of Asia. To me Schmidt was a deliberate nod to the distance, coldness and constant demand for results while still holding legitimate emotions for those under their wing. In his case it feels like his application of that mindset to deadly weapons is a critique of the mindset in a broader context.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 6, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ys 8 on PS4 doesnt have the Pirate costumes even available to buy, so you have to play Ys 8 on switch. It does have this weird screen shaking when youre in castaway village though so that sucks. P.S The switch is a handheld.

I heard so much about Ys 9 being unoptimized and running badly, But it runs like a dream on my normal PS4. Every single gameplay change is great too SP refills automatically so when you don't have enough normal attacks are used for more than just getting more, Raids are harmless so far and flash triggers seem to have loosened for those bonus points, and I am loving the rooftop jumping.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so will be safe

unless it was in VIII and i missed it, my favorite thing they added in IX so far is the ability to switch damage type between characters so i can play with all my favorite people and still have one of each damage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sir Tonk posted:

not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so will be safe

unless it was in VIII and i missed it, my favorite thing they added in IX so far is the ability to switch damage type between characters so i can play with all my favorite people and still have one of each damage.

It was, but it was a bonus for beating all the quests, IIRC. Something like that..you only got it riiight at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just finished Ys 9. Very good game, as all of the Ys games are. If this is what Falcom's politics are, I never want to see them talk about politics again.