Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Is it me or is it odd that the character of the postman seems to have been given some very significant lines despite appearing in 2 episodes and having about 3 lines in total?

Episode 2: "I'm just the messenger!"
Episode 5: (knowingly) "Your Mom won't let him get far!"

He appeared so briefly in Episode 2 that I thought he and the commercial pitchman were the same actor but they do appear to be two different people.

It's something that may or may not be significant in retrospect once the series is over, but either way, what an odd pacing of the character's appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Thanks! I super enjoy the speculation but was worried that maybe I was just outright spoiling myself.

Thanos flies around in a helicopter. Sorry, finale spoiler.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BizarroAzrael posted:

The house interior as well, it will be interesting to see if the cavernous layout of what is clearly a sitcom set will be replaced with something that looks more realistic by the time they hit the 2000s, especially the ridiculously high-ceilinged kitchen.

I can't wait to see what they parody next week for the 90's era. So far they've been going for pretty specific references to individual shows, so I'm hoping for 1990's they just go for broke and do a Dinosaurs sendup... Disney owns that show, right? :haw: Perfect excuse for cameos from Devil Dinosaur and Old Lace!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd not be surprised if they go for a late 80s sitcom for the next episode, as there is a good differance between the late 80s/early 90s from the early 80s, and then we get 2000s.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

howe_sam posted:

I figured it out, he's driving that home because only the good guys (more or less) have code names in the MCU. So by emphasizing that she doesn't have a code name he's reinforcing the notion that Wanda is bad

Umm, I mean maybe I'm wrong but given what happens in the episode I'm fairly certain that it's because, the deal with fox was, marvel couldn't use the names Scarlett Witch or Quicksilver, because they had them. So him asking about it and needling the point is kind of a fourth wall wink, in that, we know, yes she does, but also that you can't acknowledge it.... ...yet! That they then go on to call it a hex, is skirting super close, and then finally the reveal at the end completes the gag

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chieves posted:

I dunno, I was locked in during the choking scene from episode 1. The most Lynchian thing I've seen in ages- and from freaking MARVEL, no less.

Oh my God they should absolutely have gotten David for an episode or two that would have been sooooo loving good.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Is it me or is it odd that the character of the postman seems to have been given some very significant lines despite appearing in 2 episodes and having about 3 lines in total?

He appeared so briefly in Episode 2 that I thought he and the commercial pitchman were the same actor but they do appear to be two different people.

It's something that may or may not be significant in retrospect once the series is over, but either way, what an odd pacing of the character's appearances.

I also noticed the postman in this episode and felt like there was something there that I missed. He’s so prominently featured for that one moment, I definitely felt like I was supposed to recognize him or something, but didn’t.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Vision peels back his face to reveal static underneath, while Wanda spits out a frog-bug creature that has been controlling her.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
Vision's childhood pictures made me laugh out loud

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Teek posted:

Thanos flies around in a helicopter. Sorry, finale spoiler.

Still mad the one from the rose bushes wasn’t the Thanos copter

I had a glimmer of hope that Hayward wouldn’t turn out to be yet another MCU-brand incompetent and/or evil administrator but w/e

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Klungar posted:

Vision peels back his face to reveal static underneath, while Wanda spits out a frog-bug creature that has been controlling her.

Don't forget the talking monkey.

Voice by Lynch, of course.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

!Klams posted:

Umm, I mean maybe I'm wrong but given what happens in the episode I'm fairly certain that it's because, the deal with fox was, marvel couldn't use the names Scarlett Witch or Quicksilver, because they had them. So him asking about it and needling the point is kind of a fourth wall wink, in that, we know, yes she does, but also that you can't acknowledge it.... ...yet! That they then go on to call it a hex, is skirting super close, and then finally the reveal at the end completes the gag

This was weird rights thing from back when Marvel didn't own all of them. [/spoiler]Marvel could use them as long as their powers weren't because they were mutants, Fox could use them as long as they were mutants. I think they just didn't like the name Scarlet Witch. There was some infographic from a while back showing all the different companies who owned different things, and there were a lot of overlapping characters because in the comics so many characters had been in so many teams. [/spoiler]

Barry Convex posted:

so, barring the possibility that Aaron Taylor-Johnson returns as Pietro at some point in the last four episodes, I wonder whether there's bad blood between him and Marvel or whether he just didn't want to return. more likely the latter though

I'm guessing they just wanted to do something with an X-Man because they can now, rather than anything to do with the actors. I'm assuming either one would love to have a recurring role in Marvel movies, even if it wasn't a big one like Thor or Hulk.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

He's also one of three adults who weren't identified by SWORD in ep4

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

drat, when Paul Bettany loses his poo poo he's scary.

Its Chocolate posted:

Vision's childhood pictures made me laugh out loud

Same. I was expecting to see pictures of him being created in a lab and poo poo but nope, full on red face baby Vis.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The MCU has embraced crazy comic book bullshit and I couldn't be happier.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Technowolf posted:

He's also one of three adults who weren't identified by SWORD in ep4

Who were the three adults not identified? No way that's not significant.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Who were the three adults not identified? No way that's not significant.

I believe it's Agnes and Dottie.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm impressed that they're really digging in to how dark and hosed up this entire premise is. I've seen Lynch tossed around a few times in this thread and obviously this show isn't even in the same galaxy as The Return but yeah, that was some pretty unsettling TV. Way more than I would expect from Disney's first MCU show, or really any MCU show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There’s gotta be a flashback to the start of all this at some point because of that scene from the original trailer where Agnes asks Vision if she’s dead because he is.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FoneBone posted:

re: the twins:
it seems weird that nobody at SWORD seems particularly concerned about Billy/Tommy, their abilities (?) or their overall significance, since i'd think they'd be key to Wanda's whole motivation here
of course i say that as a comic fan who knows that there's no way you introduce those characters without them playing a key role

re:Billy/Tommy, it’s weird that Monica immediately tells everyone that the twins are real but that nobody, including her, seems to care that much about the specific implication that Wanda is now so powerful she can create human life on her own when it should be biologically impossible. I mean, sure, everything else she’s doing in Westview is cause for concern but you’d think that’d stand out more

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
From the way the episode really pushed the idea of Wanda rewriting reality and lamp shaded the fact she can't do that I'm fully on board with the idea of an alternate universe Wanda being responsible high jacking the MCU Wanda's power combined with her own reality altering abilities. Seems like a good way to pull the rug out from under comic readers who will naturally just assume Wanda can alter reality as well despite all her existing abilities being shown to be mind based.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Something's up with that character and it's not clear what it is yet, but like with Agnes there is something else going on there

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lol goddamn quicksilver

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

robot roll call posted:

I'm impressed that they're really digging in to how dark and hosed up this entire premise is. I've seen Lynch tossed around a few times in this thread and obviously this show isn't even in the same galaxy as The Return but yeah, that was some pretty unsettling TV. Way more than I would expect from Disney's first MCU show, or really any MCU show.

Not everything fits, but the Stop It scene in the first episode could absolutely be in a David Lynch movie.

Edit:

Here's a fun thing to try, rewatching the Stop It scene with your eyes closed. When you can't see her smiling you can really focus on the fear and horror in Mrs. Hart's voice.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 6, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Lol goddamn quicksilver

Can't decide if this was a genius decision or a dumb decision. Either way I love it. :allears:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not everything fits, but the Stop It scene in the first episode could absolutely be in a David Lynch movie.

Edit:

Here's a fun thing to try, rewatching the Stop It scene with your eyes closed. When you can't see her smiling you can really focus on the fear and horror in Mrs. Hart's voice.

Because Debra Jo Rupp is a god damned professional.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

What if...

Wanda, so overcome with that her entire family is dead and gone, desperately wants everyone back she tries to bring back the people she lost starting with her first loss. Except when she does it a hole rips amd instead this happens.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MiddleOne posted:

Can't decide if this was a genius decision or a dumb decision. Either way I love it. :allears:

I honestly believe Feige is the most competent man in the world so genius is always a safe bet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's genius, they can bring over all the popular character castings. Opens the door for Fassbender and McAvoy even. And any other good characters from those movies, if there are any, idk I didn’t watch past DoFP. Dragoon Jennifer Lawrence back in. Rumor is they're doing a whole Spiderverse thing with the next MCU spidey movie, bringing in Garfield and McGuire. Also, interesting that the first cross-company major character crossover in comics also involved a speedster :ocelot:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I do not trust Agnes or Chekov’s Mailman.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Dan Stevens as Legion seriously needs to just wander through the background one episode looking lost before blipping away to another timeline.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zoux posted:

It's genius, they can bring over all the popular character castings. Opens the door for Fassbender and McAvoy even. And any other good characters from those movies, if there are any, idk I didn’t watch past DoFP. Dragoon Jennifer Lawrence back in. Rumor is they're doing a whole Spiderverse thing with the next MCU spidey movie, bringing in Garfield and McGuire. Also, interesting that the first cross-company major character crossover in comics also involved a speedster :ocelot:

Well, they've already got "Olivia Octavius" there.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Nameless Pete posted:

Dan Stevens as Legion seriously needs to just wander through the background one episode looking lost before blipping away to another timeline.

Legion has been mentioned a few times now...

I loved Legion season 1, couldn't binge it fast enough. But then a few episodes into season 2, I completely lost interest in it. I can't articulate what happened because I'm not sure myself, but over the course of just a couple of episodes, I was like- I've had enough of this, this sucks.

So, any reason to go back and try again?

Apologies for the (hopefully minor) derail...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
gently caress I hope Ian McKellen shows up

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sir Nose posted:

I loved Legion season 1, couldn't binge it fast enough. But then a few episodes into season 2, I completely lost interest in it. I can't articulate what happened because I'm not sure myself, but over the course of just a couple of episodes, I was like- I've had enough of this, this sucks.

I would finish Legion, when it's great it's really great. There probably won't be anything near it's tone from a Marvel X-Men property for a decade or more.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Sir Nose posted:

I loved Legion all the way through, but each of the three seasons is kind of a different beast. You'd hardly be the first person I've encountered who loved the first season but bounced off the second one, or loved the second and bounced off the third.

Depending how far you got into the second season I'd say it might be worth giving it another shot. If you find yourself feeling the same way, though, I'd recommend reading a synopsis or something and trying out Season 3.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s been seemingly forever since Legion ended and I still can’t get this goddamn song out of my head.

Curse you, Noah Hawley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6YJ-r5SQs

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Also Wanda confirmed loving a dead body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

It’s been seemingly forever since Legion ended and I still can’t get this goddamn song out of my head.

Curse you, Noah Hawley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6YJ-r5SQs

I loved The Damned, couldn't get enough. But then a few songs into Captain Sensible's solo album, I completely lost interest in it. I can't articulate what happened because I'm not sure myself, but over the course of just a couple of songs, I was like- I've had enough of this, this sucks.