Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

tango alpha delta posted:

bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme.

No more so than gold or silver or pick your favorite store of value. Trying to estimate each of their values via their inherent usefulness is doomed to failure. The truth is that people just like them a lot so they are worth a lot. If everyone changes their mind, then their value will drop back down to that dictated by their usefulness. But even if that did happen, it wouldn't show that that store of value was a ponzi scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gold and Silver are very useful and important in electronics manufacturing, so there's certainly some inherent value.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CompeAnansi posted:

No more so than gold or silver or pick your favorite store of value. Trying to estimate each of their values via their inherent usefulness is doomed to failure. The truth is that people just like them a lot so they are worth a lot. If everyone changes their mind, then their value will drop back down to that dictated by their usefulness. But even if that did happen, it wouldn't show that that store of value was a ponzi scheme.

I love it when people burst into the thread to spout their wrong opinions.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Waltzing Along posted:

I love it when people burst into the thread to spout their wrong opinions.

It was an impressively stupid statement lol. Precious metals have been accepted as valuable by basically every culture on earth for thousands of years, for a multitude of reasons. Goon: yeah but if they weren't it would be like bitcoin

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

To the extent that the spot price above industrial use is dictated by humans liking shining things, then yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh it could be a "ponzi" if you squint and tilt your head? Like with other speculative bets, and precious metals are definitely a favorite of "the economy is gonna collapse, get gold coins because your feudal overlords will not accept worthless dollars" people, then okay I suppose? The price of the gold index would be driven by market forces that aren't necessarily grounded in fundamentals?

Otherwise, the comparison is lacking because bitcoin has value only literally because there's someone who says it has value. The analysis that bitcoin is worth $x applies to literally anything you can think of in the crypto space, which is trivially not true in metals and other commodity stores of value. People will likely value gold even in the post-apocalypse, because gold is shiny. Until we start seeing only in infrared will the "it's shiny!" niche will not be terribly threatened. You can't rely on a brick of shiny metal somehow sustaining you in a world without an economy, but then, nothing else but a shotgun, a case of shells and your wits will in that case.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Gold and Silver are very useful and important in electronics manufacturing, so there's certainly some inherent value.

Yeah but the only value of the electronics is mining bitcoin. Checkmate.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CompeAnansi posted:

So, you're saying that the Emperor's new clothes really ARE fabulous?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
gold is useful because its easily molded no electricity required, it is easily authenticated and instantly recognizable. Its scarcity is not in question. It exists in physical reality. Bitcoin is useless the second the power goes out lol.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

gold is useful because its easily molded no electricity required, it is easily authenticated and instantly recognizable. Its scarcity is not in question. It exists in physical reality. Bitcoin is useless the second the power goes out lol.

tell that to my cold wallet philistine!!!!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Fur20 posted:

tell that to my cold wallet philistine!!!!

getting killed in the wasteland because I typed 1 million bitcoin into a zune and traded it for a goat

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"wait wait let me try the transaction again, " i plead desperately as men with rocks come to violate the NAP and take away the goat

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I still think about how someone, somewhere, fat fingered a lot of bitcoins into a blackhole wallet when trying to conduct a large scale weapon and/or drug trade, and was then killed by very unhappy associates within 24 hours

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It was an impressively stupid statement lol. Precious metals have been accepted as valuable by basically every culture on earth for thousands of years, for a multitude of reasons. Goon: yeah but if they weren't it would be like bitcoin
I had a thought experiment with my roommate on how human history would be different if gold had been abundant enough to get widely used for non-decorative/monetary purposes.

Our findings:
* It would have definitely been useful for a lot of easy and direct things
* Most of the money poo poo could have been done fine with silver
* Our houses would look like the interior of Trump Tower
* Trump himself would poo poo in a silver toilet

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

To a certain extent scarcity is attractive in of itself. Aluminum was the world's most valuable metal for a period in the early 19th century because the processes known to get pure quantities was prohibitive. The tip of the Washington Memorial was plated in aluminum. Napoleon III impressed guests with his aluminum flatware. It's...kind of not a really attractive metal? But it is light and strong. So there's that.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Nessus posted:

I had a thought experiment with my roommate on how human history would be different if gold had been abundant enough to get widely used for non-decorative/monetary purposes.

Our findings:
* It would have definitely been useful for a lot of easy and direct things
* Most of the money poo poo could have been done fine with silver
* Our houses would look like the interior of Trump Tower
* Trump himself would poo poo in a silver toilet

We sort of had this in Mesoamerica before the colonizers arrived

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I went to some gold and weapon museum while in Peru, and jesus the stuff they had...

Here's my glove made out of gold.

hmmm it's getting cold in here, I need some Wall Cladding... what do we have so much of that I could use it to insulate my whole house....

I think there was some BBC report that like everything in that place was fake gold, but I don't know/care, it looked cool as gently caress

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Why not have the best of both worlds: just build your mining GPU's out of gold, silver and/or platinum?

I swear: if only I earned a Satoshi for every time I turned over a stone for you no-coiners, I would have owned all our system's moons by now.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kw0134 posted:

It's...kind of not a really attractive metal? But it is light and strong. So there's that.

I remember when apple first started making metal powerbooks they used titanium for like 2 years and then switched to aluminum and both hyped it up in the same way and charged even more for it, and everyone was like WHOA ALUMINUM RULES again for a little bit as if its not the literally disposable stuff soda cans are made of

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Just mine Pegglecoin and contribute to the heat death of the universe.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

d0s posted:

I remember when apple first started making metal powerbooks they used titanium for like 2 years and then switched to aluminum and both hyped it up in the same way and charged even more for it, and everyone was like WHOA ALUMINUM RULES again for a little bit as if its not the literally disposable stuff soda cans are made of

Was that the contemporary of the G4 iBooks that were all white and tended to cook themselves quite obviously? Or were they after that?

Bitcoin King Kai
Feb 6, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Hello again, nocoiners of GBS. I greet you warmly.

I've been charging up my Bitcoin Spirit Bomb for the past 24 hours, and now I'm ready to utterly annihilate you all with it. Ready? Okay, here we go:

ChronoBasher posted:

I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty clueless about cryptos; but are you saying the points above wouldn't be applicable to BitCoin? Or other AltCoins?
Yeah, Doge isn't nearly as supported by hardware, software, and exchanges the way Bitcoin and other 'true' cryptos are. The infrastructure just doesn't exist for it, because no one takes it seriously.

ChronoBasher posted:

My point was these are really bad attributes for a currency. If someone gets locked out of thousands of dollars, and has no recourse, that's not good. People are dumb, and they are not going to make backups.
Sure, but not making backups (or other proper crypto financial security procedures) is a perfect example of user error. You could make similar mistakes with cash or gold if you were equally stupid/lazy. Let's say you wanted to manage your own money because you didn't trust banks, and your home wasn't secure. You go out into the middle of the forest, dig a deep hole, bury a chest with your money in it there.

But you neglect to make a map or any description of the location for yourself so you could reliably find it later, and end up forgetting where you buried it. You've lost access to that wealth from your own stupidity, and you wouldn't blame the gold for being so difficult to secure. So why would you blame Bitcoin?

Yes, people are dumb! And lazy! That said, custodial services like Coinbase, Gemini, and Kraken exist for a reason. Plenty of people don't have the knowledge or even the desire to learn how to securely store or safely send their crypto themselves. These folks should absolutely use those custodial services rather than risking losing everything out of sheer laziness and/or unwillingness to learn.

TL;DR: It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

EorayMel posted:

Can you still spend no more fees to speed your transaction ahead of the other ones doing no less fees?

And how there's nothing stopping or proofreading you fat finger swapping the fee with the actual transaction value like that one person did to the tune of 80+ bitcoins as a fee?
Sure, anyone could make that mistake in theory. But can you honestly imagine not triple-checking what you're doing when moving 3 million dollars of wealth? Anyone that careless with that amount of money either can afford to lose it or shouldn't have ever been handling it in the first place.

Fame Douglas posted:

7 is also a theoretical maximum, it's going to be lower most of the time.

Another important thing to understand is that Bitcoin isn't processed every second, but about every 10 minutes. Saying it has a theoretical maximum of 7 transactions per minute is misleading. And to be reasonably certain your transaction has been processed and isn't in a side chain that atrophies, you need to wait for at least three blocks.
&

kw0134 posted:

Also I love the lightning network, the toy system that at its heart declares it's trustless, then explicitly uses a BGP equivalent (a trustful protocol) to figure out routing, because doing a version of the Traveling Salesman problem every single transaction is totally a trivially solvable computational task, right?

Lightning will solve all of the blockchain's problems (so why are we pitching blockchain as a tool that's gonna take over the world?) and so they're all solved but all its fundamental problems are dismissed as "works in progress" when pointed out.

Check this out, here is what the lightning network makes possible with Bitcoin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bOo3zLFhEk

EorayMel posted:

I'm still not convinced he has even that, but maybe if his next rereg gets more than four posts showing 12 or more random article URLs I might reconsider it not
Don't worry, I'll be sure to make a walkthrough video tour of our new place after we move in, so you can pretend to make fun of some bizarre flaw such as wrong color walls or w/e, while internally hating yourselves for not investing in bitcoin 5 years ago when I first told you to.

EorayMel posted:

Unrelated tangent: sometimes I sincerely wonder about the thought processes of the people who heard about bitcoin one day and all of a sudden decided that this would be the global financial revolution, or even those people's thoughts on economics or the fundamental concept of money before bitcoin happened.
Money gets value from utility and scarcity. Bitcoin has both, and gains more utility over time as adoption increases and the protocol + 2nd layer solutions evolve.

CompeAnansi posted:

This is 100% correct. Arguing that gold or any other precious metal is worth $1800/oz or whatever because of its use in electronics or jewelry is dumb as poo poo. It's worth that much because it's used as a store of value. It's value proposition outside its use as a store of value is probably 5% or less what it's actually worth today.

hi seraph, another suggestion for you; if you want to really impress people with how amazing bitcoin really is, buy Platinum for everyone in every thread that you post. I'm honestly surprised that this simple act of altruism hasn't occurred to you.

Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme
Ponzi is just a word nocoiners like to throw around to describe something they fear, resent, and completely misunderstand. Ask Jeffrey to give you plat if you really want it, I donate plenty of money to this place already. Let him know he has my blessing to spend it on the nocoiners in this thread.

kw0134 posted:

To the extent that the spot price above industrial use is dictated by humans liking shining things, then yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh it could be a "ponzi" if you squint and tilt your head? Like with other speculative bets, and precious metals are definitely a favorite of "the economy is gonna collapse, get gold coins because your feudal overlords will not accept worthless dollars" people, then okay I suppose? The price of the gold index would be driven by market forces that aren't necessarily grounded in fundamentals?
See above. Gold has such a high trading value because primarily because of scarcity and it's traditional use as a store of value. It's utility (applications in electronics/jewelry) have almost nothing to do with it.

kw0134 posted:

Otherwise, the comparison is lacking because bitcoin has value only literally because there's someone who says it has value. The analysis that bitcoin is worth $x applies to literally anything you can think of in the crypto space, which is trivially not true in metals and other commodity stores of value.
There is only one Bitcoin. There's a reason the nearly 10,000 altcoins combined have less than 1/4th the total market cap of bitcoin.

While Bitcoin’s open-source software may be forked, its community and network effects cannot. Bitcoin makes trade-offs for core properties that the market deems valuable. Many digital assets have emerged that claim to improve on Bitcoin’s deficiencies. However, to date, none have been able to achieve Bitcoin’s network effects. Bitcoin has qualities that make it valuable, and it makes explicit trade-offs to offer those qualities.

While competitors have attempted to improve upon Bitcoin’s limitations (e.g., its limited transaction throughput or its volatility), it has been at the cost of the core properties that make Bitcoin valuable (e.g., perfect scarcity, decentralization, immutability). This explains why Bitcoin continues to dominate in terms of market cap, investors and users, miners and validators, as well as retail and institutional infrastructure and products. As shown in the charts below, bitcoin’s market cap is orders of magnitude higher than the combined market cap of competitors (other proof-of-work digital assets).

While Bitcoin’s software is open-source and may be forked and “improved” upon, its network effects and community of stakeholders (users, miners, validators, developers, service providers) that understand and accept the trade-offs it makes cannot be so easily replicated away.

kw0134 posted:

People will likely value gold even in the post-apocalypse, because gold is shiny. Until we start seeing only in infrared will the "it's shiny!" niche will not be terribly threatened. You can't rely on a brick of shiny metal somehow sustaining you in a world without an economy, but then, nothing else but a shotgun, a case of shells and your wits will in that case.
Gold has value because it's SHINY? Well friend, I've got some pretty fuckin shiny moonstones and pyrite to sell you, for the low low price of $2,000 per ounce! They're just as shiny as gold, so they're just as valuable, right?! poo poo, that has to got to be the dumbest take I've ever seen in a Bitcoin thread on these forums. And that's a high fuckin bar. Well done.

BigBadSteve posted:

Seraph, no offense meant with the following, but it seems pretty clear from everything written by you and about you here that if you ever really do luck onto making money from cryptocurrency, your best investment would not be real estate, but a long course of psychotherapy.
Lol I've been in and out of therapy since I was 13. My current therapist wanted me to relay a message for you, by the way: Suck it nocoiners! Seraph is gifted and a financial genius!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

gold is useful because its easily molded no electricity required, it is easily authenticated and instantly recognizable. Its scarcity is not in question. It exists in physical reality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHC1230OpOg

https://www.thegoldanalyst.com/gold/news/fake-gold-bars-found-in-jpmorgans-vaults/455/
https://news.bitcoin.com/83-tons-fake-gold-bars-china-scandal/

To say nothing of the fact that large new sources of gold are still discovered regularly today, and that it's abundant in our solar system in asteroids. Regardless, Bitcoin is going to eat gold's lunch within 5 years.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Bitcoin is useless the second the power goes out lol.
Right, because phones, batteries, and generators don't exist. Unless you're talking about a global and long-term power outage, in which case lmfao if you're worried about money instead of food, water, and heating.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

oh lol that's even sadder

reaching the stage of bipolar mania where i spam zillow links to dreary windowless bachelor apartments to tout my stunning level of wealth, equivalent to someone in their thirties who has a career
Not for nothing, but...

In other news, Bitcoin is back at 40k!

Bitcoin King Kai fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 6, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
you still don't have a bathroom lol

do you just poo poo in a bucket or do you have a second one to brush your teeth with rainwater and snowmelt

Bitcoin King Kai
Feb 6, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

you still don't have a bathroom lol

do you just poo poo in a bucket or do you have a second one to brush your teeth with rainwater and snowmelt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6h-zFdWZdc

I have a bathroom.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao buttcoin

Bitcoin King Kai
Feb 6, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyLC2M1K2w

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
serf post your bathroom with the current BTC price written in lipstick on the mirror

tile acceptable if you have no mirror

Bitcoin King Kai
Feb 6, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

serf post your bathroom with the current BTC price written in lipstick on the mirror

tile acceptable if you have no mirror
Nah, I'm not trying to get my rear end beat today. The bathroom was just cleaned, and my wife would not appreciate me loving with her lipstick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bitcoin King Kai posted:

Hello again, nocoiners of GBS. I greet you warmly.

I bid you dark greetings.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone even read that post

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My eyes slid right off it, probably in self-defense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

Did anyone even read that post

No.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Seraph makes the same idiotic points that explain why the USD won't be displaced when people ask why buttcoins can't be replaced by anything else. Any other noise about "open source" is also meaningless in light of the fact that all that means is the changes create hard forks that don't thrive when the actual power brokers (the miners) refuse to accept any change that diminishes their own position.

"There's only one bitcoin" is among the most laughable statements out there. All the other bitcoin derivatives don't exist, and Clan MacDonald is thus claiming that Clan Sutherland are Not True Scotsmen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No True Cryptocurrency

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There are a lot of derivatives of Michael Jackson but only one Michael Jackson. Well, bad example, it's a common name.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Except that the bitcoin forks were literally bitcoin but a few modifications. Since that meant shifting power from the miners, that was obviously no good. It's like if Michael Jackson was actually cloned and they took out his pederasty but his handlers liked him better as a pederast and so the less offensive version got thrown into a dumpster.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Except that the bitcoin forks were literally bitcoin but a few modifications. Since that meant shifting power from the miners, that was obviously no good. It's like if Michael Jackson was actually cloned and they took out his pederasty but his handlers liked him better as a pederast and so the less offensive version got thrown into a dumpster.

I should have realized this, since Michael Jackson was just a fork of The Jackson 5.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, i'm not reading any of that post. it's obvious seraph is full of poo poo.

e:it doesn't matter how big bitcoin gets because I will never, ever touch it for the simple reason that I have absolutely no interest in downloading the CP that's ACTUALLY PART OF THE LEDGER.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 6, 2021

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

xtal posted:

There are a lot of derivatives of Michael Jackson but only one Michael Jackson. Well, bad example, it's a common name.

Look up how many Donald Trump's are in the US. And it's not just TRumpgf and TRumpt JR
http://howmanyofme.com/search/

reminds me that Michael Douglas has played batman

or like 80% of the people with the lastname Dutroux or whatever in one of those Europeon Bog Lands (where they let known multiple child rapists go, after like 2 weeks and they build a dungeon that would make an austrian proud ) filed to change their lastname after his horrible mycrimes.txt came out (his confessions and being a prime watched suspect for a year...) dont read about him or you'll want to go out on a pedophile killing spree and no one would fault you --- but thats more for the the Epstein/Ghislaine thread in c-spam; where (i'm catching up a 100 pages behind) - C-Spam believes that Epstein/Maxwell are Satoshi after a mysterious $1 billion dollar transfer of bitcoin happened just after her arrest... and she literally controlled the Reddit Mind Hive and Narrative and posted about pedofelia being good or some similiar dispicable poo poo which is just a normal bitcoiners thing :tinfoil:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 6, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lol, i'm not reading any of that post. it's obvious seraph is full of poo poo.

People defending Ponzi schemes:

How can it be a Ponzi scheme if people make money in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I mean why shouldn't people be awarded millions of dollars for leaving their computers running for a long time back in 2011?