Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
here's a scintillating JJ face promo for those curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSMxAhtMeho&t=302s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Tato posted:

Wow, star wipes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tato posted:

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah, Brian Christopher isn't a hall of famer

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he probably is in a couple years

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Red posted:

Once he ditched trying to sing, the guitar didn't make sense to carry. The hunting glasses or whatever never made sense, either. Jeff Jarrett is like the Cobra of wrestling gimmicks - they just kept giving him more and different poo poo to set him apart, except no one really cared, and it didn't work. (Cobra's Stallone had an old timey car, chewed a matchstick, a super gun, reflective sunglasses, and on and on).

Then again, HHH never really had a reason for carrying a sledge, so maybe I should give up.

Did Jim Cornette ever really have a reason to carry around a tennis racket?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Super Dan posted:

He was supposed to be a preppy mama's boy. And tennis was seen as a "upper class" sport.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Super Dan posted:

Jimmy Hart already had a megaphone.

Who had the fake branding iron? That was hilarious.

Edit: Terry Funk and then later, I think Bradshaw, but I can't remember if it was when he was "Hawk" or the new Blackjack.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Davros1 posted:

He was supposed to be a preppy mama's boy. And tennis was seen as a "upper class" sport.

I would think that would be golf but I guess a tennis racket is easier to carry than golf clubs.

Now that I think about it, a 80s brick cellphone would also have worked.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Now that I think about it, a 80s brick cellphone would also have worked.

That was Paul E Dangerously's gimmick

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

Oh yeah.

Wonder who he was supposed to be calling with that thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Oh yeah.

Wonder who he was supposed to be calling with that thing.

He was yuppie; he was calling his Wall Street buddies, and making all the money.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

I realize that I know poo poo about Paul's pre-ECW days.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Davros1 posted:

He was yuppie; he was calling his Wall Street buddies, and making all the money.

I'm pretty sure the gimmick was less him being a yuppie, and more him being a New York Jew w/ money in southern territories as a manager

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Huh. I didn't watch a ton of WCW during Heyman's tenure there, but I always saw him as having a prominent role. It took me a long time to remember his name as Heyman, and not Dangerously.

(Holy cow, he was only 23 when he joined WCW)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given's Paul history and future with ECW I assume that Paul was always calling people he owed money too

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Red posted:

Huh. I didn't watch a ton of WCW during Heyman's tenure there, but I always saw him as having a prominent role. It took me a long time to remember his name as Heyman, and not Dangerously.

(Holy cow, he was only 23 when he joined WCW)

He was such a hustler as a teen, he even managed to get licensed as a press photographer so he could get into wrestling events; which led to this famous photo (And the story that it was either Capt Lou or the Grand Wizard who said "This kid should call himself Pauly Dangerously!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Davros1 posted:

He was such a hustler as a teen, he even managed to get licensed as a press photographer so he could get into wrestling events; which led to this famous photo (And the story that it was either Capt Lou or the Grand Wizard who said "This kid should call himself Pauly Dangerously!"

I think Cornette also got his license as a press photographer for the same reason. Him and Heyman are basically carbon copies of each other.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Reading the replies about No Limit Soldiers and I have to agree that these guys hustled the poo poo out of WCW and it owns.

So in sort of mid-99 who gets the book after Nash? I had stopped watching WCW at this point during the Monday Night Wars and it's kind of crazy to see WCW trying to do their own version of McMahon and Austin fighting for control of the company.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Russo jumped poo poo around, I wanna say, September or thereabouts in 1999, and IIRC, took Ed "Oklahoma" Ferrara with him. I think it might have been around one of those UK-only PPV events.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The story, as I believe it has been uncovered, is that Russo was pissed that he got no pay bump when the WWF added Smackdown to the lineup and expected him to be head writer for both shows. When he expressed that he couldn’t see his family, Vince simply told him that he was paying him more than enough to hire a nanny to take care of his kids. And Russo, as well as Ferrara, weren’t on any sort of exclusive contract or anything with the company; just standard employees. So he reached out to WCW and Bill Busch, being sold a line from Russo and Ferrara that they were the secret ingredient to the WWF’s success, offered them a huge deal to jump and be WCW’s head writers, as Harvey Schiller had recently dumped Bischoff completely from operations on September 10th and placed Busch in charge of the business end, while on creative a committee of guys like Kevin Sullivan and Nash were booking shows for those weeks in between Bischoff being booted and Russo/Ferrara being hired.

So the first weekend in October, while Vince and most of the company was in the UK for the No Mercy PPV on the 2nd, Russo and Ferrara e-mailed Vince, tendering their resignations and flying to Atlanta to sign actual contracts with WCW.

In the wake of this, Vince promoted Chris Kreski to head writer and WWF headed into an even bigger year in 2000.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm sure WCW would have died anyway, but I wonder how differently things would have gone if they never brought Russo in.

Edit: uhhhhh unrelated but holy gently caress, I'm watching an old Nitro from 1999 and Buff Bagwell is in blackface doing a Cat impression with a guy in a Sonny Onoo mask.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 6, 2021

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TheKingslayer posted:

Reading the replies about No Limit Soldiers and I have to agree that these guys hustled the poo poo out of WCW and it owns.

So in sort of mid-99 who gets the book after Nash? I had stopped watching WCW at this point during the Monday Night Wars and it's kind of crazy to see WCW trying to do their own version of McMahon and Austin fighting for control of the company.

after Nash whenever WCW would be in between executive producers because they canned Bischoff or Russo it tended to be a committee with Sullivan & Taylor until mid-2000 when Johnny Ace ended up running the booking committee (and is arguably why the last few months of WCW are so well regarded and how he got his WWF gig)

Ace took the job because Giant Baba died and when NOAH split off from All Japan he didnt want to get caught in the political crossfire and retired.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Ganso Bomb posted:

I'm sure WCW would have died anyway, but I wonder how differently things would have gone if they never brought Russo in.

Edit: uhhhhh unrelated but holy gently caress, I'm watching an old Nitro from 1999 and Buff Bagwell is in blackface doing a Cat impression with a guy in a Sonny Onoo mask.

This gimmick was known as exhibit A a couple years later.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ok so this Spring\Summer run of WCW must be the whole booking committee thing. It's all so boring with a few guys in the undercard really trying to do what they can.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

We never got a nWo Hollywood Hogan vs nWo Wolfpac Nash match when anyone gave a poo poo. Built feuds over a year for that stuff and never paid off.

Nash was a genius to not go over Hogan I guess. Know where the bread is buttered.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

You forgot the best part! He read in a magazine that Vince Sr. ate at a certain steakhouse, then called the company and concocted this big story where he ran into him at that steakhouse and told him he was a photographer and McMahon told him to call the company and get a press pass.

He used his bar mitzvah money to buy a camera and build a dark room and bullshit his way into the wrestling business in the most Heyman way possible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

We never got a nWo Hollywood Hogan vs nWo Wolfpac Nash match when anyone gave a poo poo. Built feuds over a year for that stuff and never paid off.

Nash was a genius to not go over Hogan I guess. Know where the bread is buttered.

Uh we got the match in front of 35,000 people on a show with 4 times as many viewers as your precious AEW Dynamite!

I'd say "that's a lot of butts in seats" but those 35,000 were all on their feet.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think it was on one of Jericho's podcasts where Heyman claimed that he also used the photographer "gig" to blag his way into Studio 54 in the 80s. Even if it's total bollocks, the image is pretty amusing.

I think MRT in particular has been on record as to saying that 1999 WCW is worse than 2000 WCW. I'm not entirely sure if I buy it, but 1999 was real bad whoever was booking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think it was on one of Jericho's podcasts where Heyman claimed that he also used the photographer "gig" to blag his way into Studio 54 in the 80s. Even if it's total bollocks, the image is pretty amusing.

I think MRT in particular has been on record as to saying that 1999 WCW is worse than 2000 WCW. I'm not entirely sure if I buy it, but 1999 was real bad whoever was booking.

I think my stance is Summer of 99 is the worst period but if I said all of 99 I will stand by it even though there are two good 99 PPVs.

With Russo things are rarely mind numbingly boring. They are stupid, they are offensive, they are lovely in many ways, but when you get Van Hammer vs Rick Steiner on PPV in 1999 you as a fan are getting an extra special gently caress you.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rick Steiner coming out every night to cut the same dog oriented promo has been just terrible.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Studio 54 stuff is real, he was a regular photographer for the club from like 1985 to 1987 (after the high point was well in the rear view). He even convinced Mark Fleischman to run a wrestling card there in ‘85, which is how Paul managed to slide into the wrestling business proper beyond being a photographer. Bam Bam Bigelow premiered at that very card, and a couple years later convinced Paul to become a manager. Paul worked some Northeastern indies, and then thanks to meeting Dusty at that Studio 54 show (Wrestle Party 85, it was called), he got an in with Championship Wrestling from Florida and started managing Kevin Sullivan and Oliver Humperdink. Bigelow brought him around to Memphis and the AWA. Eventually he ended up in Alabama for the CWF, met Eddie Gilbert and became his assistant while Gilbert booked the territory, and that’s pretty much the beginning of the Paul Heyman we know today. A few months later, in ‘88, he goes to JCP and does the Midnights vs Midnights feud and he becomes a star managing and calling matches with Jim Ross on Saturday Night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Rick Steiner coming out every night to cut the same dog oriented promo has been just terrible.

At least there is the light at the end of the tunnel with the glorious 9/27/99 Nitro, the most wonderful and incomprehensible television ever broadcast.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If anyone's interested in the stream I've been following they're currently on Fully Loaded 99

https://twitch.tv/pinkdogfan1

It's been great for background noise.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

MassRafTer posted:

At least there is the light at the end of the tunnel with the glorious 9/27/99 Nitro, the most wonderful and incomprehensible television ever broadcast.

I just looked that Nitro up and my god I want it playing at my funeral.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

If anyone's interested in the stream I've been following they're currently on Fully Loaded 99

https://twitch.tv/pinkdogfan1

It's been great for background noise.

Been watching this lately too and it's been perfect. Took a sick day and it was something nice to bounce in and out of.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I had no idea that thing in the parking lot and the thing with Not Luger were on the same night.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
how about this for a wrestling character Jushin “thunder” Luger

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vagabundo posted:

I had no idea that thing in the parking lot and the thing with Not Luger were on the same night.

There are two other amazing things that happen on the same Nitro and three of the craziest segments are back to back to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Courtesy of DDT Digest:

quote:

• We see a black limo pulling up to the Phillips Arena in Atlanta
    • Hogan is in the limo.
    • Lord. A bunch of little kids in Hulkamania gear come up to ask for autographs.
    • Hogan talks to one little kid.
    • Sting sneaks around the limo and says, in a little-kid voice, "Can I have your autograph too?"
    • Sting kicks Hogan a few times in the knee.
    • Hogan is down as Sting leaves.
lmao