Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That seems like a good way to tilt your own team and become a self fulfilling prophecy tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Don't surrender until they're pushing your nexus and 3 or more people have 30 second death timers.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

That seems like a good way to tilt your own team and become a self fulfilling prophecy tbh.

Yeah if you're calling surrender votes when you're ahead because you're convinced your team will throw, and you're convinced you need to play a "carry" support to have an impact... maybe the reason your teams keep throwing is... no....... but it couldn't be

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBX posted:

Don't surrender until they're pushing your nexus and 3 or more people have 30 second death timers.

Eh, Ive surrendered a game at around minute 10 when the enemy yasuo who was already 10/0/0 and knocked down first tower gets a 1v5 pentakill when we tried to gank them. By the time we surrendered they already knocked down the second tower.

But yeah in general I need some incontrivertable "poo poo is lost yo" before Ill surrender

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

You can be a dozen kills ahead, but if you can't effectively group and bring down a single objective, the gold advantage doesn't really mean all that much in the grand scheme of things if the other team actually can. I've watched too many games like that go south to not call for a surrender vote that I know won't pass when I see the loss coming

the team isnt playing how i want so i think they are all bad and will lose the game and therefor i give up winning games. the reason i am so confident that i know better than the people who i am matched with that are around my skill level is:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The real problem with people rushing a ff vote is that it means they have given up like the scared babies they are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

The real problem with people rushing a ff vote is that it means they have given up like the scared babies they are.

I feel like my job as support is to prevent the surrender vote and them try to settle the clown car down on the off chance we can pull it off.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

legit real advice: as you learn about efficient macro and objective priority, it becomes easy to overvalue these concepts in your head and rigidly stick to them. you can just as easily win games by doing weird stuff like piling up in an unwarded bush or taking a risky all in or something.

and if your team is trying to do wild stuff like that, sometimes the best play is to humour it. "but it is more efficient to go top!" your rational brain will say - but stay in the bush with that fed darius the extra 30 seconds and get the drop on 3 people for a free baron. you have to be able to be flexible

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Surrender is for when the score goes something like your team 4 vs. enemy team 25 and you can't even leave your base to get wards out so at that point the enemy team is just griefing by not ending the game after killing you again. That's what FF is for, moving on to the next since it's obvious that the enemy team can't throw at this point.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SirSamVimes posted:

Surrendering isn't for when you might lose, or even if you'll probably lose. Surrendering is for when you believe there is no longer any hope of victory.

surrendering is for when you die once in lane and then get mad that you can no longer blindly faceroll the keyboard to win every all-in like your favorite smurfing Content Creator(tm) does in all his videos

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 5, 2021

strong bird
May 12, 2009

surrendering kicks rear end and should be attempted every time someone dies

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i wish this game had voice chat so i could shout "NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!" into the mic as I slam the vote-no button with 1 kill and 15 deaths to my name

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i wish this game had voice chat so i could shout "NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!" into the mic as I slam the vote-no button with 1 kill and 15 deaths to my name

:yeah:

Also I've been spamming kai'sa in an attempt to do some climbing because she is moderately busted right now. More than that, she is also extremely fun to play. Also I now have a skin for her so I no longer feel naked when playing her.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I don’t think a skin will help with that for kaisa am I right

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

yes but at least I got cool pixel effects on all my abilities now

Also re surrendering: It's really nice when you get a game where you get a rough early disadvantage and nobody even attempts to bring up a ff vote and instead there's discussion on how to counter the enemy team and snag objectives, even when the enemy twitch/xerath bot are 4-1 and 4-0 respectively. I just had the most unsalty team I've ever seen, and that calmness and coordination allowed us to wrest an advantage back and eventually win the game. I honestly think that not even trying to surrender did a lot for the team staying focused on retaking the game.

edit: Extremely Balanced

(ignore the viego loss, I was trying him out for the first time and accidentally queued back into ranked instead of normal like I was intending to)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

don't surrender until your nexus is almost dead so you can do the double explosion glitch

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

don't surrender until your nexus is almost dead so you can do the double explosion glitch

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I only play normal games as a 5-stack 99% of the time so I'm ok with surrendering a theoretically winnable game if one of my friends is tilted off the face of the earth. I'm also fine with surrendering if an annoying as hell champ is fed and a win would be a pain in the rear end, 40-minute slog.

In ranked? Don't surrender until you're trying for a double explosion

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

Always surrender when your nexus is almost dead so you can do the double explosion glitch

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

people dont talk about it enough but the flash sound effect is amazing

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Super Librarian posted:

I only play normal games as a 5-stack 99% of the time so I'm ok with surrendering a theoretically winnable game if one of my friends is tilted off the face of the earth. I'm also fine with surrendering if an annoying as hell champ is fed and a win would be a pain in the rear end, 40-minute slog.

In ranked? Don't surrender until you're trying for a double explosion

Yeah in ranked I'll play until quite late, even if we are doing poorly. In normals I'll surrender as soon as I think we will lose and I'm not having fun.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah in ranked I'll play until quite late, even if we are doing poorly. In normals I'll surrender as soon as I think we will lose and I'm not having fun.

This is a good take and I support it. Ranked is for personal improvement. Learning how to win losing games is a skill you have to learn too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

The double-double is a surer sign of respect than the customary 'gg'

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ive never surrendered because i never lose, im the person in the queue who always faces the worse team and we have two duos and everyone works perfectly together. sometimes we hold the fifth person hostage for no reason and all report him though. these are all real things, and i know because i am behind them

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The important thing is that if anyone on the enemy team asks you to ff or if someone on your team calls for a ff too early you should never surrender just to annoy them.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

ive never surrendered because i never lose, im the person in the queue who always faces the worse team and we have two duos and everyone works perfectly together. sometimes we hold the fifth person hostage for no reason and all report him though. these are all real things, and i know because i am behind them

wow weekend meta is all your fault, you're the person winning all those games that goons are losing!!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Mega Comrade posted:

yeah norms surrender is fine, I'm fine with surrendering if one or more people are having a rough unfun time so we can take a quick break and reset ourselves

ranked is almost always a no personally unless it's clear someone on my team has just lost their mind and is actively inting or trolling. However, If my team is on the verge of giving up (like a 3/2 vote), I'll try and get them to do one more major play/objective and if we lose then I'll probably go with the team and FF just to avoid the inevitable flaming of each other

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 5, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mega Comrade posted:

ranked and normals are the exact same thing

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

love it when my teammates start the game tilted in advance because they believe they're in "losers queue" and that a spooky algorithm is making them be in a loss streak

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ranked and normals are the exact same thing

And I thought my idea of "I told you so" early surrender votes was dumb

Hellioning posted:

The important thing is that if anyone on the enemy team asks you to ff or if someone on your team calls for a ff too early you should never surrender just to annoy them.

:emptyquote:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no it's actually true. ranked just has made up points. it's the same as normals but with made up points. also the points make people crazy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
normals actually uses the same points system as ranked to match you against equally-skilled opponents, it just doesn't show you the number
for whatever reason this stops broken-brained Gamers from freaking out about it

this is true in every game that has "normals", except old versions of cod for some reason
and then all the slightly-above-average cod gamers whined for 3 years when they added it because they could no longer do the equivalent of stomping bronze games as a diamond smurf

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I realize that ARAM is an absolutely terrible way to judge a champion, but...is Lillia bad? I've gotten her in ARAM twice recently and I didn't feel like I was doing much either game. She feels like she's missing something.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

yeah shes missing a jungle and lanes to roar into at mach 5 to gank

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

strong bird posted:

yeah shes missing a jungle and lanes to roar into at mach 5 to gank

Yep. Your best bet if you get Lillia in ARAM is to pick snowball, build Liandry's and Hourglass, and try to initiate a good teamfight with snowball -> Q -> R.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vandar posted:

I realize that ARAM is an absolutely terrible way to judge a champion, but...is Lillia bad? I've gotten her in ARAM twice recently and I didn't feel like I was doing much either game. She feels like she's missing something.

she sucks in aram because she can't use her passive at all. she can hit a five man ultimate but on aram that means like, maybe we'll get a tower, versus in summoners rift where it means like, a baron.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

normals actually uses the same points system as ranked to match you against equally-skilled opponents, it just doesn't show you the number
for whatever reason this stops broken-brained Gamers from freaking out about it

this is true in every game that has "normals", except old versions of cod for some reason
and then all the slightly-above-average cod gamers whined for 3 years when they added it because they could no longer do the equivalent of stomping bronze games as a diamond smurf

This isn’t quite true, normal uses the same point system but has a larger tolerance for mismatch, it usually tries to match skill levels in roles (top players both one level mid a different level etc.) but it has a larger difference it will accept to speed up matchmaking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Normal is where I go to practice for the mode that tells me how much I suck when Im trying

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

normals is the fun game mode to play with your friends, thus making it the only mode worth playing. hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

normals is the fun game mode to play with your friends, thus making it the only mode worth playing. hope this helps

But they give out a prize if I can prove Im slightly better than having no 5th player