Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

that guys avatar of the postal dude as deadpool is incredibly powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

lmao, this sucks rear end. also dan stevens is such a bad actor

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

R. Mute posted:

lmao, this sucks rear end. also dan stevens is such a bad actor

eh, but at a minimum it's hard to deny it doesn't hold up nearly as well as the best season 1 sequences (especially absent context of the show)

I mean compare that to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1wOVE5k9M

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfE3TDJwHs

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E1Ja1wDmYk

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

LGD posted:

eh, but at a minimum it's hard to deny it doesn't hold up nearly as well as the best season 1 sequences (especially absent context of the show)

I mean compare that to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1wOVE5k9M

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfE3TDJwHs

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E1Ja1wDmYk

The silent episode is one of the best TV show episodes I've ever seen.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Aubrey Plaza is too freakin hot!!!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

indigi posted:

Aubrey Plaza is too freakin hot!!!

they make her up to look like a hobo and she's still smokin'.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://i.imgur.com/wXXHURn.mp4

B5 is just the loving best

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It holds up so well because all those scenes of satire and going so hard against any sense of reason or logic have happened in real life in the last 4 years.

Up to and including the propaganda mouthpiece being a pretty blond woman.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

pentyne posted:

It holds up so well because all those scenes of satire and going so hard against any sense of reason or logic have happened in real life in the last 4 years.

Up to and including the propaganda mouthpiece being a pretty blond woman.

So True and I was thinking about how it was obviously aimed at satirizing Ann coulter types of bourgeois conservatives but this could easily be Biden's press secretary

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 20:24 on Feb 5, 2021

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Good Lord, Harvey Birdman: Attorney General is terrible!

I get that it was supposed to satirize the Trump presidency, populist media types like Alex Jones, all while calling back to the show (for those 12 of us who still remember it) but it ends up being a mess.

I didn't even chuckle once. It felt like a SNL sketch between Colbert phoning it in as the main focus of the show and Peanut (easily the funniest character on the series) only saying something like three lines.

Absolute trash.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is Red Dwarf is probably the most mainstream sci-fi I can think of (besides maaybe Gundam for the most part) that does the 'there's no aliens, all weird poo poo ultimately comes from Earth' thing.

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take The Sky from me

Take me out to the black
tell them I ain't coming back
Burn the land, boil the sea
You can't take The Sky from me

There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
And you can't take The Sky from me

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

[MOVIE] meets [BOOK]* is one of the more infuriating marketing ploys in genre fiction

*well in this case I guess something as or maybe more associated with prime time television

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

thought the latest wandavision was real good, especially after the drag of the previous expo dump/standard mcu reality episode.

baby vision photos. wanda rolling the credits to squash the argument. pulling in x-men franchise quicksilver, the show openly calling it out as a recast, and all the other fuckery that's sure to open up

olsen and bettany really get to do some acting here, and i like teyonah parris as monica, even if most of the stuff outside of wanda's reality kinda puts me to sleep. her having to watch herself being forced to act as geraldine was really striking to me

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Mr Hootington posted:

I miss detective mystery shows. Everything has to be cop cop cop.

My guilty pleasure over the past year has been watching Midsomer Murders. It reminds me of a UK-style American Gothic aesthetic. The first five seasons or so are great

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

HOLY. poo poo.

wetv is white entertainment television.

it's 24/7 cop procedurals

and they bury it all in a 'look how forward thinking our programming is, SVU has a female lead and Criminal Minds has a black guy!' wrapper

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Dr. Killjoy posted:

[MOVIE] meets [BOOK]* is one of the more infuriating marketing ploys in genre fiction

*well in this case I guess something as or maybe more associated with prime time television

That book is from the lady who's done the "Here's what Disney did right and wrong with Mulan" videos, right?

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Egg Moron posted:

So True and I was thinking about how it was obviously aimed at satirizing Ann coulter types of bourgeois conservatives but this could easily be Biden's press secretary

What do *I* want, Mr. Biden? I'd like to live juuust long enough to see them cut off your head and stick it on a pike, as a warning to the next ten generations that some inaugurations come at too high a price.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fleetwood posted:

My guilty pleasure over the past year has been watching Midsomer Murders. It reminds me of a UK-style American Gothic aesthetic. The first five seasons or so are great

Yeah those are good shows. It has over 20 season now right?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Ulta posted:

My bet is “they’re cops but they aren’t called cops and they have cool vibranium super weapons” because that’s the only show we make. They took Lucifer, a comic about traveling the spiritual universe and dealing with cosmic forces and made it “what if he cop but not called cop who sometimes has sex outside of marriage”

I bet Disney is having internal discussions about doing like NBC did with their "Chicago" franchise and make one each of Wakandan ER/EMTs, firefighters, and cops

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah those are good shows. It has over 20 season now right?

Yeah, something that. It's pretty impressive. Each episode is feature length

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

I miss detective mystery shows. Everything has to be cop cop cop.

people finally gave up after realising they'd never top Moonlighting

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think its cool wehn the mafia kills people in movies/tv shows

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Stairmaster posted:

i'm a big fan of your work mr scorsese

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

nothing but support for the mafia here imho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think it’s cool when the little smart guy like Meyer Lansky figures out how to not get himself killed and then gets the people who were going to kill him killed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i like it when a movie spends 2 hours and 55 minutes showing how awesome it is to be in the mafia and then tacks on a one minute scene at the end saying actually the mafia is bad, roll credits

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That scene in Donnie Brasco where the crew is sitting around in the restaurant trying to come up with new scams while busting apart parking meters is the most accurate depiction of mob life ever shown.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think the most accurate depiction of mob life ever shown is that scene (also in Donnie Brasco) where they feed McDonald’s to a lion in the back seat of their sedan

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

I think the most accurate depiction of mob life ever shown is that scene (also in Donnie Brasco) where they feed McDonald’s to a lion in the back seat of their sedan

lol I forgot about the lion

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lib and let die posted:

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

HOLY. poo poo.

wetv is white entertainment television.

it's 24/7 cop procedurals

and they bury it all in a 'look how forward thinking our programming is, SVU has a female lead and Criminal Minds has a black guy!' wrapper

What are you on about? Is this the former Women’s Entertainment cable channel, or is this some low-tier terrestrial network? In any case, the official network explicitly for white people is obviously HGTV.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1357821847480508419

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My mom loves cop procedurals up to and including criminal minds.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also how did scorcese drop the ball so hard with gangs of new york

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

I distinctly remember us watching CNN and my mom started using "unsub" to refer to a dude that the cops were pursuing on the news

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HBO really circling the drain

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

HBO really circling the drain

I dunno, I think it might be pretty funny.

Not on purpose, but it will be pretty funny.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

vyelkin posted:

i like it when a movie spends 2 hours and 55 minutes showing how awesome it is to be in the mafia and then tacks on a one minute scene at the end saying actually the mafia is bad, roll credits

except it is awesome to be in the mafia right up to the end where you end up dead or in jail

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Wheeee posted:

except it is awesome to be in the mafia right up to the end where you end up dead or in jail

I imagine doing cocaine all the time and getting into outlandish domestic disputes with your equally drug-addled wife would start to wear on you after a while.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Stairmaster posted:

my gf loves cop procedurals but only weird ones like lucifer, elementary, and castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wheeee posted:

the mob is a pretense for adult male friendships to blossom