Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Laserface posted:

BR is definitely not my pick for FPS games but Fortnite especially because of the art style, the business model, the community, the gameplay and the controls.

The art style is why I actually find it interesting. That and playing it with the kid.

I have no interest in the

Super No Vacancy posted:

yes i'm sure gbs prefers the brown war crime sim battle royale knockoff or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

If anything people will be more invested in their fortnite accounts 10 years from now, literally and figuratively.

Edit: I should try it again but it seems to take a while to get out of whatever tier it is where you seem to just play bots because I won 4 times in a row and haven't played it since. I'm horrible at FPS games, so they are fooling no one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Famous FPS fortnite

Another reason why I am not a fan that I forgot about. Can't deal with MP third person shooters well.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Anyone know what is causing my controller to disconnect when I turn off my headset? Further, my controller won’t even reconnect unless I turn the power off.

I am a dumbass so there might be something obvious I am missing here. I have a SteelSeries Arctis 9x if that helps.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I got my sawed off 1887 bounty in State of Decay 2. Now I can do my favorite thing and kill zombies with a lever action shotgun.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I kind of credit fornite for helping me retrain my coordination.
I was in a seriously bad car wreck a couple of years ago and I was off work either part or full time for a year. I had tried going back to Fallout but couldn't track what I was doing. So jumping around and blasting people without a plot to worry about helped me to get back in the saddle.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Happy Hedonist posted:

If anything people will be more invested in their fortnite accounts 10 years from now, literally and figuratively.

Edit: I should try it again but it seems to take a while to get out of whatever tier it is where you seem to just play bots because I won 4 times in a row and haven't played it since. I'm horrible at FPS games, so they are fooling no one.

Back when I played it you’d always get shotgunned into the head by someone jumping around within half a minute of you landing*. So I’d say having bots in your first games is a good change, although it probably does indeed get rather old quickly.

*Or you landed somewhere super remotely and didn’t see anyone for 15 minutes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You can choose third or first person view in car racing games (often multiples of each) but very few shooters let you do this 🤔

Battlefront is the only game that I can think of.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pubg has first and third person modes. if youre playing third person lobbies you can toggle at will.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

3rd person has a wider fov.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

quick resume did something goofy to my playtime in dq11 ive played maybe 15 hours and i just saved and it said 110 lol

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Destiny has struggled with the fact that certain actions put you in third person because people use it to "cheat" in competitive multiplayer because you can see round corners etc.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Destiny has struggled with the fact that it's supposed to be a freakin' video game, nevermind everything else :negative:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Don't really know what to say to that.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

Holy god Control Ultimate Edition crashes non stop. I had 0 the entire time I played regular but this one has crashed 5 times in my 3 hour session today

did you try closing it and restarting it? or redownloading it? I haven't seen/heard anything else that suggests it's a widespread issue.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

morallyobjected posted:

did you try closing it and restarting it? or redownloading it? I haven't seen/heard anything else that suggests it's a widespread issue.

I've had it happen several times to me. It has been happening right after checkpoints for me, so I haven't lost any progress yet. Still annoying!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve had some crashing too but thankfully only when I change graphics mode. What mode y’all playing on?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lammasu posted:

I did my first run of Skyrim without knowing that you could smelt ore.

I got halfway through the first Mass Effect without realizing the mako had a main gun. I was playing on a small standard def screen so it wasn't at all obvious the muzzle flash wasn't from the big tube. Also, the second I noticed you get less xp for killing enemies with the mako I took out geth walkers by ramming them, parking on top of their prone bodies, getting out of the vehicle, and capping them on foot.

So I have a series x now. It's great, but my surround system's center channel is weirdly quiet. I have audio set up 5.1 uncompressed, but I have to swing the camera around in DS3 to properly hear NPC dialog.

Edit: oh poo poo game pass has peggle 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’ve had some crashing too but thankfully only when I change graphics mode. What mode y’all playing on?

Performance no question.

Apparently photo mode is uncapped and the Series X has the power to do a 1080p/60 RT mode so come the hell on Remedy give me that.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Barudak posted:

Performance no question.

Apparently photo mode is uncapped and the Series X has the power to do a 1080p/60 RT mode so come the hell on Remedy give me that.

Well Digital Foundry speculated that it might but also that the CPU might not be up for it still - photo mode mostly just relies on the GPU power.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Well Digital Foundry speculated that it might but also that the CPU might not be up for it still - photo mode mostly just relies on the GPU power.

Understood but like Im possibly even ok with 900p to make this work. Resolution is just so distant for my priorities versus framerate.

And Falconeer is, oof. Not what I thought and worse than than I thought. Its such a tiny thing but what got me to quit is when flying to a point after a second the bird goes into a soaring animation that makes it wobble its aim so you constantly have to fight to just go in a straight line.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ya falconeer sucks imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I tried the Falconeer for about 20 minutes before I got fed up with the controls. I don't know why they're so bad but they are!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got a Series X last week after a couple generations of Playstations and am trying to figure out the suspend mode thing. I've read that some games don't support it for now, but I've also had some games seem to suspend just fine sometimes and other times want to reload everything. Is there some trick I am missing or is it just random? I'm not really opening three games at once usually and I've been mainly playing fairly tame stuff like CrossCode

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I got a Series X last week after a couple generations of Playstations and am trying to figure out the suspend mode thing. I've read that some games don't support it for now, but I've also had some games seem to suspend just fine sometimes and other times want to reload everything. Is there some trick I am missing or is it just random? I'm not really opening three games at once usually and I've been mainly playing fairly tame stuff like CrossCode

It's not random - some games just don't support it right currently (and may never). Every game that comes out from this point forward will probably support it just fine. It's mostly games that connect to online services that have problems with it as it can't fire you right back into the game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't know what makes games work with resume/which games get picked. All new releases like Valhalla seem to work fine unless they get a patch which interrupts the resume. Then you have games like yakuza 3 which didnt have quick resume for like a week and now just all of the sudden has it. Quick resume still rules even with the issues atm. Hopefully they'll get ironed out

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Zerot posted:

I've had it happen several times to me. It has been happening right after checkpoints for me, so I haven't lost any progress yet. Still annoying!
i started it up again today and this happened to me once in an hour or so of play. it's definitely fixed some of my gripes with the game, though. i haven't seen any garbage textures and the load times are incredibly short. it also counts as a different game, too, because i'm getting the same achievements again.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I tried the Falconeer for about 20 minutes before I got fed up with the controls. I don't know why they're so bad but they are!

This seems to be a major complaint in a lot of reviews.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One one of the really early baffling things about falconeer is it has the exact same "shoot here to lead your target appropriately" indicator as starlancer but it doesn't seem to like, do anything and it was easier to hit people letting the autoaim do whatever the gently caress it felt like it wanted.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think they said one of the soon updates will add a little icon to let you know if the game in question is in quick resume state.

It works with Katamari Damacy Reroll I can confirm and its a godsend since the game has so much pointless and slow menuing before you can actually play.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Understood but like Im possibly even ok with 900p to make this work. Resolution is just so distant for my priorities versus framerate.

And Falconeer is, oof. Not what I thought and worse than than I thought. Its such a tiny thing but what got me to quit is when flying to a point after a second the bird goes into a soaring animation that makes it wobble its aim so you constantly have to fight to just go in a straight line.

lower res isnt going to make a cpu limited game run

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I got halfway through the first Mass Effect without realizing the mako had a main gun. I was playing on a small standard def screen so it wasn't at all obvious the muzzle flash wasn't from the big tube. Also, the second I noticed you get less xp for killing enemies with the mako I took out geth walkers by ramming them, parking on top of their prone bodies, getting out of the vehicle, and capping them on foot.

This literally happened to me word for word. I finally figured it out when i was doing almost no damage to the sand worm.

kashmir
Jul 1, 2003
the guy

Besson posted:

Anyone know what is causing my controller to disconnect when I turn off my headset? Further, my controller won’t even reconnect unless I turn the power off.

I am a dumbass so there might be something obvious I am missing here. I have a SteelSeries Arctis 9x if that helps.

I’m having the same issue and ms is apparently aware of it and is working on a fix. I find that if I am moving a stick on the controller as I turn the headset on or off it’ll stay connected.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Barudak posted:

One one of the really early baffling things about falconeer is it has the exact same "shoot here to lead your target appropriately" indicator as starlancer but it doesn't seem to like, do anything and it was easier to hit people letting the autoaim do whatever the gently caress it felt like it wanted.

I think (but can't confirm) that shooting is a mix of aiming and autoaim, where the closer your reticule is to the leading circle the more likely the shots are going to land. I think it's the only way to deal with a flight model that isn't "stable" like a jet.

Supposedly a lot more gets explained as you play but the first chapter is really weird in how I'm doing stuff with almost no context for what I'm looking at.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Started playing control, graphics are pretty amazing. I’m playing it in 30fps mode since I’m still kind of doing the tutorial part and nothing too exciting has happened yet, but I might switch to performance once things get a bit wilder. The reflections are nice and it’s good that you can change on the fly. No crashes for me yet!

I’ve also just a discovered the fact that bf V and bf 1 are two different games. I always thought they were the same ww1 game, why would a company name the fifth battlefield game - the battlefield 1? Playing quite a bit at the moment, one of my favourite franchises back in the day, good to have it on gamepass or I’d have probably never known.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

I always thought they were the same ww1 game, why would a company name the fifth battlefield game - the battlefield 1?

it was the style at the time

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I've been disappointed at how minimal the level destruction has been in Battlefield games since Bad Company 2 but apparently for the next one in the series they're making it a big focus so I really hope that we end up with maps similar to Bad Company 2 where they literally look and play completely differently near the end of the match. I feel the series has kinda been in a rut since BF3 and the maps have just been getting stupidly large.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

just re-release bad company 2 in 4k and at 60fps with updated textures. maybe re-balance the saiga and usas and replace all the lovely aa guns with vads. i'd buy a series x just for that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Stux posted:

it was the style at the time
they weren't really doing a soft reboot thing with that, it was a fun reference to the setting

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

kashmir posted:

I’m having the same issue and ms is apparently aware of it and is working on a fix. I find that if I am moving a stick on the controller as I turn the headset on or off it’ll stay connected.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Thought i was just not understanding the interface as I’m quite new to this ecosystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm really enjoying project winter guys.

Probably because among us won't release that new map.