Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rarity posted:

Yeah there's a huge market for people who want to play through their own version of Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5 and that market is really untapped, probably cause it's really hard to convince AAA publishers that some nerdy single-player story-driven sci fi poo poo will sell big bucks. Like I just searched for games like Mass Effect and this is what came up

- Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
- FF7 Remake
- Anachronox
- Jade Empire
- Alpha Protocol
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Prey
- Fallout: New Vegas
- The Surge 2
- Star Wars: KOTOR
- The Technomancer
- Greedfall
- The Witcher 3
- Bioshock
- Deus Ex

Like, there's some good games there but nothing that comes close to what Mass Effect was trying to be

I think that's more indicative of Bioware's quality than them making something unique; plenty of other games are trying to be Mass Effect they're just bad. Dragon Age is the next closest thing because its Bioware literally doing the same thing, just in a different setting.

And as for why there aren't many games like that, well, look at what Bioware is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1357877239925383169?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gently caress yeah we get to kill Tool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Final Fantasy XIV

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

I really think they're building up to 7.0 being ffxiv-2. Not a full reset, but an opportunity to allow new players to start at level 90 without missing a ton of important context

furthering my years-long effort of putting out 'kill the main character by the end of this arc and have the players create a new one to continue with' energy with this announcement

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

this is the real poo poo

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1357881703071645703?s=20

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This expansion has a lot to live up to after Shadowbringers but this is a good start

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oh poo poo

this may actually make me resub

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I'm really hoping you can MP this. If we can Animal Crossing it up and get a FC community land going with everyone doing something different I'll never play another loving game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also didn't expect a final fantasy game to say "yo gently caress belts. all my homies hate belts. we're removing them from the game."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pouring one out for all the tomestones I spent on belts over the years

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/itsamike/status/1357901913161945093?s=20

Mike Pollock is surviving yet another Sonic recast and continuing to play Eggman

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can’t wait to play FFXIV: Ew

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Same

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm in a ResiEvil save room mood.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Inspired by Sohla's new video I think I'm going to make chicken wings with a maple syrup, gochujang, diced jalapenos, and lime juice glaze

The two beers I've had might have helped but these are possibly some of the best wings I've ever had in my entire life?

Served with roasted brussels sprouts. Thank you Sohla El-Waylly, you have opened the door to paradise. This and the FF14 announcement, a good evening

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wings Post: I've never met a single person who likes the wings at BWW despite them being like, the most prolific wing chain in the country

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My friends all prefer boneless wings, which are just chicken tenders

And I mean that's fine, they're tasty, but if I want wings I want some real chicken wings drat it.

Also I am going to make those wings CharlieFoxtrot those look good as hell

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Where do people talk about oldish RTS games. I started playing Sins of a Solar Empire rebellion and I need to ask people the best way to click on enemy space ships.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

And I mean that's fine, they're tasty, but if I want wings I want some real chicken wings drat it.

I went to a dark place because I learned that my housemate was the same way and demurred from having any wings... I tried to tell myself that this was two servings and I should save some for tomorrow... but this did not happen.

I should probably balance things out tomorrow. The beauty of Sohla's method is since you sauce the wings after they're fully cooked, the sauce is safe to reuse, maybe I'll have a small meal of rice and vegetables and the rest of the sauce tomorrow evening.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, I love "Creative Business Unit III"

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1357895294147588100

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Harrow posted:

wings used to be the scam because before they blew up it was super cheap so they got great margins on them even with silly cheap prices per wing but then demand blew up and chicken production couldn't keep up only making so many wings per chicken so some wise guy got the idea to pre-sauce some nuggets and call them boneless wings so you could grind up the rest of the chicken and use it for wings too

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/itsamike/status/1357901913161945093?s=20

Mike Pollock is surviving yet another Sonic recast and continuing to play Eggman

The Eggman is eternal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvERHiTfx9w

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ys 9 is really cool. In between missions, Its like a low budget japanese take on an open world city game in the vein of a batman/spiderman or older asscreed.
like i climbed a cathedral and syncronized with the tower and the camera spun around like i was fuckin ezio only its also got a regular ys game in there to so its good to play and not ubi crap.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Since I got Yakuza 0 and Kiwami in humble monthlies over the past year or so, I decided to start in on the series this week after years of praise of it here in the games forum, and... well, is Yakuza 0 just a bad entry to start out on or am I probably not going to like the other games in the series if I don't like this one? Like I kinda want to see where the story goes, but everything in between watching a Kojima-length cutscene or following someone while they talk just kinda feels like a walking simulator that reminds me of Sleeping Dogs, if Sleeping Dogs had clunky controls and bad combat. Does this aspect get any better in the later games / Kiwami remakes? Because this SHOULD be the kind of game that I love playing but very little about the gameplay is really gripping me right now.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

eidle eidle eeeee

eidle eidle eeeeee...

i sailed south to the next main landmass but before i got there i found a small island in the ocean covered in..... barnacles. i was like, "this isn't a whale, is it? no way. there's a tree growing here."

then the island started moving after i mined a bunch of the barnacles and it sank under the waves and vanished. tree and all. it was definitely a fuckin whale. or maybe a turtle.

also found the next boss altar:

oh, with loving pleasure video game. i can't wait.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Most Yakuza games start off with real slow burns of intros and 0 probably has the longest of them.

If you are generous enough I would suggest give it until the first boss fight and if you aren't hyped after that maybe you can let it go

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

raditts posted:

Does this aspect get any better in the later games / Kiwami remakes? Because this SHOULD be the kind of game that I love playing but very little about the gameplay is really gripping me right now.

I and several other people here have tried to play Yakuza 0 and said basically the exact same thing you did about the combat and the response every single time is "just play on easy and buy a million healing items" so that never really improves. 0 is I think functionally identical to Kiwami outside of the story stuff so if you're not liking it now I'd just call it. I got to the first combat dungeon and boss fight and wasn't having any fun at all and quit.

From my experience with Yakuza 7, which is a turn-based JRPG instead of the awful beat-em-up, the cutscene thing is pretty similar. But, it's got way less to do with like very specific Yakuza office politics in the beginning of the game to ease you into it, but the cutscenes are still pretty long. Ichiban is also way more likeable upfront than Kiryu, whose lack of personality is funny when he's doing disco stuff but is pretty uninteresting when you can pretty much predict his every single line in a melodrama

e: whether or not I play the next new Yakuza game is 100% predicated on whether or not it's turn-based

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 6, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Since I got Yakuza 0 and Kiwami in humble monthlies over the past year or so, I decided to start in on the series this week after years of praise of it here in the games forum, and... well, is Yakuza 0 just a bad entry to start out on or am I probably not going to like the other games in the series if I don't like this one? Like I kinda want to see where the story goes, but everything in between watching a Kojima-length cutscene or following someone while they talk just kinda feels like a walking simulator that reminds me of Sleeping Dogs, if Sleeping Dogs had clunky controls and bad combat. Does this aspect get any better in the later games / Kiwami remakes? Because this SHOULD be the kind of game that I love playing but very little about the gameplay is really gripping me right now.

i'd give it until you meet majima and see how you feel then

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

people always say to start with 0 but, I extremely disagree and currently replaying 0 only makes me even more sure of that. so much of the story in that game is written relying on you knowing who these characters are and understanding what their relationships and fates are going to be in future games. I think the new wave of yakuza fans that started with 0 were being extremely generous in their willingness to let that stuff be blanks to be filled in later but, they're extremely not supposed to be mysteries as written. yakuza 1 is the beginning of the story

never not release order. although its probably fine to play 0 any time after 1

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

doesnt help with any mechanical complaints you have though, yakuza 1 is a way worse game than 0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kiwami 1 gets you into the action quicker, but it also has the dumbest early game skill gate with the Kiwami actions

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbuCH1uwP2g

that is just painful

but if i start caring about dev times ill be here forever

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

raditts posted:

Your life will be much simpler if you stop caring about the broader story. Yes, a ton of Zero is setting up things from other games as a cute reference, and a bunch of the character moments in this game exist to subvert or contextualize the role these characters have in later games, but the story has always been a convoluted mess that references itself endlessly, with twists and character motivations that only make sense to aliens. Zero's plot is actually one of the most sensical ones, as far as the villain motivations and keeping track of the pieces goes.

If you don't like the combat though I can't do anything for you, Zero is easily one of the most polished entries in a series known for its excellent combat.

homeless snail posted:

never not release order. although its probably fine to play 0 any time after 1

There is very little reason to play 1 and 2 now that the Kiwami games exist (even though Kiwami 1 is definitely disappointing as an expansion on the original and a lot of its content feels more like a sequel to Zero). They've aged very badly graphcially and mechanically.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If I'd started with 1 instead of 0 I probably wouldn't have bothered carrying on to Kiwami 2, which is absolutely fantastic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's the best radio station to listen to in GTA4 if I like pop/electro/girly indie?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How have I never heard of Counterpart? It's really good (and has JK Simmons).

(I hope I haven't exceeded this month's off topic quota)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not sure I've ever not enjoyed a JK Simmons role.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

He was perfect in Portal 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Red Alert 3 as well

And Whiplash, Spider-Man, Gravity Falls, whole buncha good stuff