Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1358031990596005891

They may be melty at best but you have to appreciate the dedication to the bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Paperhouse posted:

Shouldn't that make rents go down? Less demand meaning lower cost in theory

Rents are going down in London but rising elsewhere, the places with the fastest growth in rents are places like Middlesbrough now

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

Honestly didn't know there was a prince Edward

namesake posted:

There's an extended royal family but since they're all off noncing or breaking international laws around arms dealing or slavery and things they're kept well out of the limelight.

Edward did the ultimate faux pas that you could do as a Royal, he did a charity thing with oiks that actually raised money instead of them spending the oiks money.
The poshes and media didn't like it, and he has been hiding ever since.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pathetic from Neil, that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

happyhippy posted:

Edward did the ultimate faux pas that you could do as a Royal, he did a charity thing with oiks that actually raised money instead of them spending the oiks money.

Huh, when/ what was this?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm glad to see the British Fox News is set to have the original's dedication to sensible chart axes

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If these trends continue then by the year 8781CE The Spectator will overtake the Daily Mail as Britain's top selling paper!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

Huh, when/ what was this?

That 'Its a Royal Knockout' he organized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Knockout_Tournament

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Disappointingly not an event where you could make a charity donation for a chance to KO a Royal with a single punch.

I'm no One Punch Man but I reckon I could make Philip's head explode like a grapefruit with a well-placed right hook

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

I'm glad to see the British Fox News is set to have the original's dedication to sensible chart axes

They've always been dedicated to the axis.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I was bitterly disappointed that there wasn’t an episode about It’s a Royal Knockout in Netflix’s The Crown. I mean, come on.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

happyhippy posted:

I thought it was because he was gay and thus to be hidden from sight, lest the idea of a gay royal caused the people to rise up and become republicans.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

They've always been dedicated to the axis.

It's interesting how "they" always use the sharp, pointy word 'axis' to refer to whichever forces "we" are aligned against and the cuddly, friendly word 'coalition' for whichever loose alliance "we" are currently aligned in. It's quite interesting to reword propaganda exchanging 'coalition' for 'axis'.

('Alliance' works the same way as 'coalition').

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Speaking of no authority at all.....

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, so this is weird but kind of harmless? I can't believe that this doofus is more disliked by his family than the creepy "none sweat" man.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

I can't believe that this doofus is more disliked by his family than the creepy "nonce wet" man.
:hmmyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, so this is weird but kind of harmless? I can't believe that this doofus is more disliked by his family than the creepy "none sweat" man.

I always thought it was a little bit weird that Sophie Wessex (married to Edward) was almost identical to Princess Di. Maybe there's something there we don't know about.

Which is which?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Di means 2 in Greek

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dodi means 12. :tinfoil:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

There was a general air of him being the idiot of the family, not sure disliked is the right description. Andrew prob definitely has taken the disliked position nowadays.
Back then, before the divorces and such, doing anything other than shaking hands and asking people what they do was frowned on.
There was a kerfuffle about Diana 'breaking protocol' taking part in a school sports day run even. She was advised not to do it, but she went and did.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

And 12+2=14, which is too high a number for Andrew so they both had to go

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I always thought it was a little bit weird that Sophie Wessex (married to Edward) was almost identical to Princess Di. Maybe there's something there we don't know about.

Which is which?

Thanks to generations of inbreeding there's basically 6 posh woman looks and Charles has married two of them, it was pretty inevitable there'd be some overlap.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

There was a kerfuffle about Diana 'breaking protocol' taking part in a school sports day run even. She was advised not to do it, but she went and did.
The bit where she elbowed two 10 year olds to take first place upset some people.

Failed Imagineer posted:

And 12+2=14, which is too high a number for Andrew so they both had to go

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

There was a general air of him being the idiot of the family, not sure disliked is the right description. Andrew prob definitely has taken the disliked position nowadays.
Back then, before the divorces and such, doing anything other than shaking hands and asking people what they do was frowned on.

Basically he was the youngest, and while in normal families he'd be the beloved one it works differently for royals. Brenda had dropped the Heir (with whom you're always gonna have a strained relationship because their entire life is spent training for the day you die), a girl (useless), and the Spare (Andrew, who is her favourite), so there wasn't really any space left for Edward. The fact he's named after the Queen's uncle, who she absolutely *despised* (she considered his abdication a dereliction of duty, and believed it hastened her father's death), should be a bit of a clue.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Basically he was the youngest, and while in normal families he'd be the beloved one it works differently for royals. Brenda had dropped the Heir (with whom you're always gonna have a strained relationship because their entire life is spent training for the day you die), a girl (useless), and the Spare (Andrew, who is her favourite), so there wasn't really any space left for Edward. The fact he's named after the Queen's uncle, who she absolutely *despised* (she considered his abdication a dereliction of duty, and believed it hastened her father's death), should be a bit of a clue.

Oh that's just sad.

Don't make me feel sorry for Royalty now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Josef bugman posted:

Oh that's just sad.

Don't make me feel sorry for Royalty now.

Well all royalty is tragedy in one way or another.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

And Dido means £22bn

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

I actually added a bottle of Merlyn to my tesco order yesterday, if it's rubbish I'm blaming you.

Do tell if it's nice, I remember it being nice but I've never been able to find it since that one time years ago.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It really can't be stressed enough that despite everything Andrew is still beloved by Brenda. Will be very interesting to see if Andrew's status changes when she pops her clogs and Charles takes over.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

It really can't be stressed enough that despite everything Andrew is still beloved by Brenda. Will be very interesting to see if Andrew's status changes when she pops her clogs and Charles takes over.

I suppose the operative question is "why is he her fav"? Is there a reason beyond "Charles will eventually replace me" or whatever?

Also I am still of the opinion that Charles is going to pre-decease his own mum.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Josef bugman posted:

I suppose the operative question is "why is he her fav"? Is there a reason beyond "Charles will eventually replace me" or whatever?

It's old fashioned but some parents really do have a golden child. A kid who they love unconditionally no matter what. Even if they have more children, the golden child still get's the preferential treatment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do not let Andrew near children, golden or otherwise.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/MassiveAttackUK/status/1357671781952331778

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Do not let Andrew near children, golden or otherwise.

What if the child is golden because it has the Midas touch, due to exposure to Cosmic Rays, and everything they touch turns into solid gold?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Question IRL posted:

It's old fashioned but some parents really do have a golden child. A kid who they love unconditionally no matter what. Even if they have more children, the golden child still get's the preferential treatment.

One has only to read the r/relationships thread to see the truth of this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

It's true of all parents to a greater or lesser extent I think. Maybe a bit less obvious now with smaller families and changing social norms about not warping your kids.

I'm my mum's favourite anyway because I'm the baby of 5, and my siblings all have no chill or are weirdos in some way

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I met Andrew once (pre-Epstein scandal) and no-one I've ever encountered before or since has given me such a concentrated impression of being an insufferable twat in so short a time. He radiates pure anti-charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's interesting how "they" always use the sharp, pointy word 'axis' to refer to whichever forces "we" are aligned against and the cuddly, friendly word 'coalition' for whichever loose alliance "we" are currently aligned in. It's quite interesting to reword propaganda exchanging 'coalition' for 'axis'.

They're just trying to remind people of World War II. But in that war it was the Axis themselves who coined the name; Mussolini (possibly cribbing from the premier of Hungary) declared that Rome and Berlin would form the new axis of power around which Europe would turn.