Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nothing because
you wouldn't hear it
in space anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

:rip:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

but seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sRvZ8siWLY

its one of those movies that just goes all the way with a dumb concept. no wink nudge bullshit, its a serious crime thriller about a dude who puts things and people in his rear end

we get it you love butt boy

i just dont know if i want to watch a movie with this premise, even if its excellent

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think the only good thing star wars produced was the old xwing games

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

we get it you love butt boy

i just dont know if i want to watch a movie with this premise, even if its excellent

agreedo, i ain't going to watch that it looks loving stupid.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

TimWinter posted:

Diet and exercise doesn't work. More people live to be 100 than are successful with "move more eat less" approaches to long term weight loss.

lol wut

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we watched rise of skywalker last night. in the past week we have also watched captain marvel and avengers endgame. by far rise of skywalker was the most boring, with the worst plot, performances and dialogue. absolutely joyless and near-contempt for the audience

i didn't think the negative hype about a thing could actually be so right but welp

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
not enough capuchin hackerfucker for one thing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think the basic problem with star wars is that the core plot of "jedi good, sith bad" is functionally identical to "rebels good, empire bad" and neither is ever advanced beyond the superficial level. like who was the emperor snork guy and why was he huge? Doesn't matter, he's a bad person, these other people are good because we told you so, so they are against him

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

on the bright side we are now clear to start the mandalorian finally

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think the basic problem with star wars is that the core plot of "jedi good, sith bad" is functionally identical to "rebels good, empire bad" and neither is ever advanced beyond the superficial level. like who was the emperor snork guy and why was he huge? Doesn't matter, he's a bad person, these other people are good because we told you so, so they are against him

nothing about star wars holds up to any sort of examination so why bother no one ever gave a poo poo why ming was merciless

you roll up go a star war you know you’re going to see two hours of good vfx and writing on the level of the simpler toddler board books

being a star wars fan (fan as an identity) is like being a fan of McDonald’s quarter pounders with cheese

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

the mandalorian toes over the line a little bit, because the only part the alliance plays is that they're the space cops. they're good guys, but cops nonetheless

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I think the basic problem with star wars is that the core plot of "jedi good, sith bad" is functionally identical to "rebels good, empire bad" and neither is ever advanced beyond the superficial level.

fully sufficient for a trilogy of light action sci-fi movies.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i honest and truly think that there has not been a single truly bad fast and furious movie. 2fast and 4 are definitely the weakest but i cannot believe how solid this franchise has been

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i am beyond hype for the newest one because it got delayed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qyw6LC5pnE

also i unironically think john cena is a great actor in non wwe productions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

the prequels are all about how the Jedi suck actually. their hubris and complacency directly lead to the downfall of the republic

Casual Encountess posted:

i honest and truly think that there has not been a single truly bad fast and furious movie. 2fast and 4 are definitely the weakest but i cannot believe how solid this franchise has been

yeah they're great

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

being a fan of McDonald’s quarter pounders with cheese
can we keep tori talk to the hellworld thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i am beyond hype for the newest one because it got delayed

wow i saw the original but didnt know there were sequels. They any good? i thought the main dude drove into a tree

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the prequels really add a considerable amount of depth to the star wars universe; the problem is that that added depth is really stupid. also they’re extremely bad movies outside of the action scenes, and there’s an awful lot of that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rjmccall posted:

the prequels really add a considerable amount of depth to the star wars universe; the problem is that that added depth is really stupid. also they’re extremely bad movies outside of the action scenes, and there’s an awful lot of that

the cgi is really really really bad. we didnt notice b/c we were on lovely tv's. go try to watch a prequel on even a nice 1080p tv now and you'll scream

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonny 290 posted:

the cgi is really really really bad. we didnt notice b/c we were on lovely tv's. go try to watch a prequel on even a nice 1080p tv now and you'll scream

nah i’m good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it looked good in the theater to my teenage eyes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the prequels are hilariously racist

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the prequels are hilariously racist

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i forgot that he wears a little hat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

also i unironically think john cena is a great actor in non wwe productions

yes

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I love star war and my favorite character is sebulba

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

is this a jewish thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

In the scene where the animal farts in jar jar's face you can see the individual polygons on the edges of the animal's butt and the texture is smeared across it like a PS2 game.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

is this a jewish thing

mate,

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

PCjr sidecar posted:

being a star wars fan (fan as an identity) is like being a fan of McDonald’s quarter pounders with cheese

GUYS they're launching a new QP with bacon!!! take off work, we're waiting in line for the midnight release!!!!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

is this a jewish thing

No I don't think the hook-nosed foreign-accented slave-owning greedy junk trader with a scraggly beard and a little round hat has anything to do with Jewish stereotypes.

E: oh yeah and he's immune to the powers of the dominant religion's holy men

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 6, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
phantom menace cgi made big steps forward technologically but lucas tried to use it artistically way beyond what it was capable of

it was absolutely not ready for scenes were the entire world and half the characters in it are cgi

this was the same year as the matrix and the mummy which were both much smarter about it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

he has a "chance cube" too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I agree with you on everything there except putting Lucas and artistic in the same sentence.

George Lucas has no artistic vision. He likes to put his actors in a big blue room and record them doing the lines and send it off to the animators to do whatever and be done for the day before his coffee gets cold.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i saw phantom menace in the theater with a friend, and while we were all still jacked-up on new star wars and darth maul, she was like: 'that movie was trash garbage.'

it took us months to come around, but when we did we made sure to formally apologize for being so loving wrong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the conveyor belt droid factory bit in episode 2 happened because lucas had them go into the greenscreen room and do a bunch of running and jumping and american ninja warrior poo poo over foam obstacles and then figured out something to do with all the footage after

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i remember the ads for austin powers 2 that were like “if you see one movie make it star wars the phantom menace but if you see two see austin powers as well” lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, the cgi is bad, and the acting/direction is wooden (with a few exceptions), and the dialogue is laughable, and a surprising number of supporting characters are racist caricatures. but also the jedi and sith are just weak as a premise and are never given any substance; we spend three movies watching the rise of palpatine and we never learn anything about what he actually wants except that he hates the jedi