Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

How do I handle hydrogen circles with fractionators? Even with storage I'd need to babysit it and dump some hydrogen from time to time because orbital collectors give so much hydrogen

The secret to fractionators is Mk3 belts. Seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjfo5IKFWA

Since I've burned some Mk3 belts on this my deuterium production has gone through the roof. I started using it just setting up 10 particle colliders to start on the strange matter, and realized I have to automate fusion cubes since those 10 particle colliders are about 50% of the power draw of the entire rest of my base. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yup Mk 3 Belts and Fractionators are Besties. When you do poo poo like this you start converting a lot of hydrogen to deuterium:

That's 39 fractionators running at 30 checks/second. It devours hydrogen and I could always make an interior ring if I wanted. The splitter needed keeps it from being a flat 40. For reference the splitter is set to prioritize any recirculating hydrogen to avoid the system getting stuck in gridlock.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I had better results with smaller loops, since each additional fractionator on the main loop reduces the overall amounts further fractionators get down the line as they use up Hydrogen. It's also incredibly cheap power, time and ratio-wise. I'm basically positive that it's going to be changed at some point in the future to not be so good over particle accelerator production.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jarvisi posted:

How do I handle hydrogen circles with fractionators? Even with storage I'd need to babysit it and dump some hydrogen from time to time because orbital collectors give so much hydrogen
Blasphemy incoming:

You don’t have to collect all the hydrogen. In your tower there are sliders for each item to set the maximum the tower will keep in stock.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

If they wanted a really lazy solution to smelter spam I would be perfectly happy with just letting smelters stack. Iron bars, piled high!

Alternatively maybe whatever the "accelerant" is that's currently unavailable could help? Might be beacons. Something that eats power to boost the buildings around it would be very welcome.

Smelter and fabricator stacking would be quite nice yeah, though you'd also need to think a lot about belts in that instance because some of them already consume a lot and have quite limited space for inserters, so that's the other reason I'd like them to either be bigger and/or have direct feed for the later versions.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Alkydere posted:

Yup Mk 3 Belts and Fractionators are Besties. When you do poo poo like this you start converting a lot of hydrogen to deuterium:

That's 39 fractionators running at 30 checks/second. It devours hydrogen and I could always make an interior ring if I wanted. The splitter needed keeps it from being a flat 40. For reference the splitter is set to prioritize any recirculating hydrogen to avoid the system getting stuck in gridlock.

This setup is basically almost an exact mirror to mine except I had everything move inwards to an interstellar logi tower I placed at the pole.

It still wasn't enough deuterium, though, so I added a second, outer ring. Now I'm running low on hydrogen and have to build more gas suckers...

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am very early in the game still, so I just want to know for future planning reasons: is there terraforming later on? Wanna cover the "great lakes" to make factory clusters in the equatorial bands haha

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes you can flatten the land anywhere on the planet with an early tech, but you need to demolish hills to get soil to fill in seas.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yes you can flatten the land anywhere on the planet with an early tech, but you need to demolish hills to get soil to fill in seas.

I stopped running out of soil when filling in lakes/seas when I put the concrete to 1 square and moved it quickly over an area, rather than using the +/- on the numpad to expand and fill in every square with landfill. It seems to calculate the amount of dirt you'll need based on the squares you're filling in with the actual placement, then when the small local area is filled way in (enough to let buildings be placed), the re-calculation of the soil needed drops dramatically since it makes a small area around the single block much higher.

Also helps that I built a lot on my iceworld farming titanium and fireice...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I also never ran out of soil because you get it by building over elevated land with any structure, but some people see to have trouble with it. I guess it depends on your starting planet and how hilly it is.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

This setup is basically almost an exact mirror to mine except I had everything move inwards to an interstellar logi tower I placed at the pole.

It still wasn't enough deuterium, though, so I added a second, outer ring. Now I'm running low on hydrogen and have to build more gas suckers...

You either don't have enough hydrogen or you have too much. And turning it into deuterium means you either don't have enough hydrogen or you don't have enough deuterium.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I also never ran out of soil because you get it by building over elevated land with any structure, but some people see to have trouble with it. I guess it depends on your starting planet and how hilly it is.

Yeah I've been paving over my seas as I go but I've also been building factory segments and extractors on top of mountains on my ice and desert planets in my system.

In the meantime I'm on...blue chips. Ugh. Just gotta...set up...this loving plastic.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Man Mk3 conveyors are the poo poo. I didn't realise how fast they'd go compared to Mk1.

The only issue about them is the inability to directly upgrade the existing ones. Everyone's mentioned it so it's nothing new but it has put a bit of a lull in the flow of the game.

I dunno if it'd be considered too easy, but it would be great to have some sort of planetary upgrade station that worked like the logistics ones. So if you feed it the materials, the drones will fly about the planet upgrading all of your conveyors and grabbers for you.

It would also be cool to apply it to storage too (though the ground space may be an issue with that) and maybe have a MK3 storage or something that allows drones to collect materials from them.

When it came to the point of making the yellow research cubes and building the interplanetary stuff, did any of you bother upgrading everything on the original planet or is that the point where you leave it and start fresh somewhere else with everything Mk3?

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 6, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Absolutely 100% suggest moving offplanet once you get t2 assemblers, t3 belts, and t3 power. With those and logi towers you can create true industrial hellworlds for the massive expansion of throughput you're going to need. Preferably on a 100% construction world and just pave over the non-rare resources.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My original planet is a patchwork of spaghetti hell that keeps breaking down like a piece of poo poo because it gets jammed up with hydrogen or runs out of iron or whatever and I just decided gently caress it and am moving the few things it makes over to my shiny T3 only system and it can just rot for all I care.

It's just gonna sit there sending out occasional shipments of graphene and deuterium because those are the only lines that run consistently and everything else is going to rust while I, its creator, enjoy my nice new star system with way more resources and planets and a much cooler sphere and a blue star. One can only imagine that it might posess enough sapience to experience grief as it watches my new logistical network create warp trails among the other stars, while it sits alone and unloved, rejected purely because it's full of lovely T1 belts and I cba upgrading all of it by hand.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 6, 2021

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Kin posted:

The only issue about them is the inability to directly upgrade the existing ones. Everyone's mentioned it so it's nothing new but it has put a bit of a lull in the flow of the game.
They said in-place upgrades are in their backlog, and I think it was promised before Feb 12?

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Spitters can set both input and output priorities. Have plenty of burner thermal plants for the overflow, if all else fails.
You don't need a splitter for hydrogen/deuterium loops, as long as you set it so the extra hydrogen input is the bottom leg of the T junction. The straight path has priority, so this will never block the outputs from the fractionaters.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, I guess sticking on my original plane and replacing all my conveyors with logistics stations before even starting to produce the yellow research cubes was a bit overkill then.

I've even been expanding production of all materials and swapping out a few things with T3 conveyor belts too and for the most part i've got logic stations pretty much full of 5000 of all materials i have access too so far.

My starting solar system has just my main planet orbiting a gas giant and there's a lava plant that has my titanum, etc. I think that's what's guided me to expand everything on my original planet because my solar system seems very, very vacant.

Is that the typical layout for other solar systems or are there many more planets and moons and stuff?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any more convenient way to see what materials are present in a given seed's starting system, besides researching to exploration 2? Web apps or something like that?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any more convenient way to see what materials are present in a given seed's starting system, besides researching to exploration 2? Web apps or something like that?

Maybe eventually but not yet.

In the meantime...titanium crystals are my enemy. Or more specifically: the organic crystals I need to make them. :argh: Slow to make, Oil sucking things, how I wish they were allowed to spawn in the starting system. It doesn't help that my research is sucking up 80% of the ones I make.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Alkydere posted:

In the meantime...titanium crystals are my enemy. Or more specifically: the organic crystals I need to make them. :argh: Slow to make, Oil sucking things, how I wish they were allowed to spawn in the starting system. It doesn't help that my research is sucking up 80% of the ones I make.
Yeah they're my least favorite thing to make by far. Oil products need so many buildings to produce anything at a decent rate, it's definitely the part of the game that most makes me want blueprints.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Even if you don't have warp logistics available yet, you could slowboat over nearby organic crystals. I was very happy to destroy my tangled mess of organic crystal synthesis!

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Got to warp and found a nice system about 4 LYs away. It's got everything, and I'm torn between building massive factories to ship all the resources back to my mini-factory'r'us homeworld or just setting up shop there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can do a mix of both, plug some interstellar towers into the inputs of your factory, plop some miners and towers down on the new system's deposits, then go and build a new factory with the fancy high tier infrastructure, the towers can supply both.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I feel dumb. I'm a the point where I started launching solar sails and making a ring of them. But now I kind of don't know what I'm supposed to do next or what the point of the sails are. I tried Googling but couldn't figure out what the next logical step was. Also I think the bad translations are confusing me.

Edit: Also, what am I supposed to be doing with the orbit editor?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I feel dumb. I'm a the point where I started launching solar sails and making a ring of them. But now I kind of don't know what I'm supposed to do next or what the point of the sails are. I tried Googling but couldn't figure out what the next logical step was. Also I think the bad translations are confusing me.

The sails generate power in a special receiver you get on the next tech on the "main story" line. The bigger your dyson swarm/sphere, the more power these super special receivers can pick up. They're basically giant solar panels as they only work with LOS of the sun but:
-They can get an upgrade to double their production and make them not care about LOS
-They can later generate the pre-requisite for antimatter instead of directly making power.

Once you get rockets launching construction robots to build a frame, any area you enclose with framework you can select to fill in and the sails will be sucked into the node and be made into permanent energy generators. Note you will have to get at least the first rank of +latitude on the tech tree, without it all you can build is a solid ring. Once you get some vertical space to build then you can start making a framework. Or rotating goatse.

Also the orbit editor lets you make multiple rings. Big rings, little rings, counter-rotating rings. Whatever looks pretty to you.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I finally automated green cubes. Jesus christ do the orange (red?) chips and blue chips just take for-loving ever. I think my next mega project is just getting a decent amount of them flowing so I can start automating rockets.

I got so frustrated with sulfuric acid that with the first few warpers, I found a nearby system with a sulfuric acid ocean, set up interplanetary logistics and have them slow-boating from the far system. With the upgrades I have to carry capacity and the relatively small amount of acid I use, it ends up working out.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Some orbits are easier to launch to, but mostly it just lets you make cooler-looking swarms:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I broke my own rules about Early Access Games on this one because it looked so good, and seeing everyone say it was as good as it looked helped seal the deal.

I'm really glad I did get it because it has been really fun so far; the moment it went from good to great is when these all fired at the sunrise.

I don't know why but I feel like there's a stronger sense of discovery (I guess this is the word I'm looking for) in this compared to Factorio? Maybe that's just me. I've been enjoying experimenting a lot more in this, and it is super pleasing to look at.

Good game and I haven't noticed anything typical of Early Access Games so far in the several hours I've put into it. It's got that nasty effect that makes you tunnel vision it a lot and before you know it it's 3am and you don't have your teeth brushed.

Worth the money if you're still on the fence.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Ciaphas posted:

Working on one. Generally you just get the basic resources, titanium and silicon, gas giant with either hydrogen/deut or hydrogen/fire ice.

Best case is basics, and a hyd/deut and mineable fire ice.

-edit-
Try one of these:
https://gist.github.com/ragzilla/a7f96d967da3339a3e44cc077ae703f7

Just updated, contains 10 systems where there are 2 satellites on the gas giant, has fire ice veins, deuterium on the gas giant.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Only clear indication of it being EA is an incomplete branch of the upgrade tree dealing with accelarants, kind of wondering if those are going to have some special gameplay significance or if they'll just be slotted in somewhere as components to make later components.
The strings suggest accelerants are a craftable consumable that is fed into the Sprayer building, and it sprays the accelerant on cargo passing through to speed up manufacturing. So like overclock/slugs but using a consumable item. There's also a bunch of stubbed in stuff for monsters that we haven't seen yet.

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 7, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished the game after ~75 hours.

Completed sphere with swarm orbits:

End game science:

Farming photons:

Amazing game overall, inspired me to give Factorio another try after this since I think it will be a lot more intuitive now. Only real criticisms are that construction drones seem kind of unnecessary as a mechanic and that there should be some means of crafting soil pile directly. At least both of them became non-issues at the end of the game. Was expecting them to be a bigger problem but the grid jumps in latitude only caused trouble one time at the very end when I couldn't get belts to feed gravity lenses into some of the dyson receivers because the inputs were right at the point where the grid changes. QOL improvements like mass delete and being able to click once to upgrade belts from mk.2 to mk.3 and so on like in Satisfactory will probably be implemented with further development.

Interested to see what they add from here since this is still early access, it certainly feels like a complete game. If it wasn't marked as early access I wouldn't have known otherwise. Only clear indication of it being EA is an incomplete branch of the upgrade tree dealing with accelarants, kind of wondering if those are going to have some special gameplay significance or if they'll just be slotted in somewhere as components to make later components.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 7, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ragzilla posted:

There's also a bunch of stubbed in stuff for monsters that we haven't seen yet.

Absolutely hoping they don't fall into the enemy trap because chill space builder is so much better without them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combat could be quite fun I think if it served as something else to add cool lightshows to space.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Rynoto posted:

Absolutely hoping they don't fall into the enemy trap because chill space builder is so much better without them.

If monsters get added without an in game way to turn them off, I can pretty much guarantee within 24 hours of release there’ll be one or two mods to do it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
the mod that lets you do area-deletion also gives you one-click deletion of a full belt (from where it starts to where it ends, not including things that join into it. It honestly gets you 80% of the way to automated belt upgrading.
If we had that, and shift-click including inserters, I'd be pretty content on that side of things.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I know everyone has said it, but automate everything every step of the way. I resisted automating the belts and sorters for some reason and kept trying to pick the optimal belt/sorter for the situation and gently caress all that, just automate it and use Mk3 for everything.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

:same:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

gently caress all that, just automate it and use Mk3 for everything.

That's the spirit! Yeah a MkIII is expensive...until you automate it and suddenly you go do something else then come back and you've got your speedy belts.

MkIII inserters are the way to go and the game tells you loud and clear with the whole upgrade chain for them and only them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Gadzuko posted:

The trick with stuff like motors and plastic that you need infinite amounts of is to never put anything in the way of the chain, so you can just keep extending it. Make parallel lines to produce intermediate products, toss in logistics stations every so often if you need to keep the conveyors topped off or emptied of something, and just extend the line forever.

...Mohammed Bin Salman?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

As a big dumb newbie who hasn't built factories on anything other than the first planet, I automated Mk3 inserters, but it turns out that when you start using them for everything the power load becomes actually noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

John Lee posted:

I automated Mk3 inserters, but it turns out that when you start using them for everything the power load becomes actually noticeable.
Are you sure about that? They should cost the same power per unit work (or less, with stacking)-- but they're able to do more work in the same period of time.

I finally automated Mk3 belts/sorters + Mk2 assemblers + smelters/gatherers and made an equitorial interstellar-logistics item-mall and my only regret is not doing this sooner!

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 7, 2021