Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

John Murdoch posted:

I find it hilarious how much Thief 4 is talked about in such ominous tones when it's just a dumb, mediocre-at-best reboot. I'd really like to see one of the usual suspects actually give it a fair chance instead of blustering about Not My Garret or whatever.

I played Thief 4 without having played any of the old Thief games and felt it was just generally bad even without being part of a good series, especially given it came out two years after Dishonored and was worse in most ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I thought I hated Thief 4, but I just figured out last year that Deadly Shadows is actually 3 and I've never touched 4.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's a garbage game, a bad stealth game, the AI and audio propagation were literally broken at launch (I have no idea if they were ever fixed, nor do I care), the writing is poo poo, and it does all this under the name of some of the best games ever made.

I played through it recently after a round of "well akshully it wasn't that bad" and can confirm that the AI and audio are still godawful. The story is terrible, the gameplay is ok with a few decent levels, and the greatest sin is that the animations annoyed me so much that I stopped stealing things.

Protip for the hub sections: just sprint past all the guards to save time running those boring-rear end routes. It doesn't matter what they do.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Yes. The mechanics largely work, but it's a mess that has a couple of solid levels glued together with filler and terrible plotting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I first assumed shamblers had gross, maggot-like skin that constantly lightly undulates like something's crawling underneath it. Soft, yes; cuddly, no. Fur? Maybe not completely. Going off the previous statement, their body would have rings reminiscent of annelid worms' segmentation, and the fur tufts grow around those.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
gently caress Bunker Part II. I don't remember the original level being that loving hard.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

this guy is not covered in fur, he's got gross pale rotting flesh with yellow discolored bits where it looks like chunks are missing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

gently caress Bunker Part II. I don't remember the original level being that loving hard.

Originally you could snipe guards and cameras through the little door windows, but now they are bulletproof :(

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I always saw it as coarse fur but that was probably because the abominable snowman from SkiFree was still fresh in my mind.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Convex posted:

Originally you could snipe guards and cameras through the little door windows, but now they are bulletproof :(

Right! I knew there was a way to cheese it back in the day.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

IronicDongz posted:

this guy is not covered in fur, he's got gross pale rotting flesh with yellow discolored bits where it looks like chunks are missing

Doesn't quake1 have actual attack dogs in it? Dobermans? They're similarly not-furred, in that the engine has its limitations and the mind's eye has to make up for things. I personally agree and never thought of Shamblers as 'shaggy', but I don't begrudge those who do.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I played Thief 4 after buying it for like $4.99 during shelter in place. It is absolutely a mediocre, underwhelming game, that is impossible to not compare to the vastly superior Dishonored 1 & 2 that released before and after it. The are even levels that can be directly compared (the one I am thinking of in particular is Dishonored 2’s Addermire Institute and Thief’s asylum) and it’s hilarious how much worse Thief’s is. And then you have the fact that for about 90% of the game, there are exactly two enemy types: Swordsmen and Bowmen. That’s it. I realize it’s a stealth game with minimal combat but holy crap once you realize that, it’s just so lame.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Shamblers looked a lot shaggier in software rendering on a mid 90s crt.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's just a work jumpsuit why is it such a big deal to people, jesus

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

It's just a work jumpsuit why is it such a big deal to people, jesus

I mean, going with that it's a full-body hazmat kinda suit, with a hole for the mouth. You think your work boots are bad after a long day? Pity the poor shambler getting out of that in the evening.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I always saw shamblers as being furry too, but I guess I could accept them basically being oversized tardigrades.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

why would you even want to live in a world without wooly shamblers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fur/hair makes something less creepy and gross generally.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the shambler is covered in velcro

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Kins posted:

Thief 2014 is a good game! But more for the Bioshock Infinite crowd or something like that. But I know of course I've had tomatoes thrown at me for this opinion in here. I just think this is a big issue with franchises and reboots. Some poor Montreal devs make one of the best games of their career before they get corporately shuffled off into oblivion, a solid rear end stylish slick modern stealth cinematic fantasy yarn. And it gets lambasted for years because it's tangentially tied to an old franchise. Good rear end game.

Now Quake, no controversy there, I enjoy a Quake.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thief 4 is objectively the bet Thief game because its the only one I beat. Wrap it up Thiefailures

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the shambler has gross pale skin. its not furry, john romero is just stupid. its based on the dimensional shambler, half the monsters in quake are taken from sandy petersen's call of cthulhu bestiary, and the shambler in that is a bit skinnier but is also not furry.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shamblers are covered in wool. It says so in the Bible.

• Return of the Triple Threat! Guncaster, Trailblazer and Russian Overkill have all received a simultaneous burst of bugfixes and tweaks.
  • Calico, the port of Jaguar Doom back to PC, has been updated with proper gamepad and mouse controls, among other things.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the shambler has gross pale skin. its not furry, john romero is just stupid. its based on the dimensional shambler, half the monsters in quake are taken from sandy petersen's call of cthulhu bestiary, and the shambler in that is a bit skinnier but is also not furry.
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1357826692891500546

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"DEATH OF THE AUTHOR" I scream as I hold my shambler plushie tight.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

To put fur on the Shambler, you must defeat me: John Romero.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

well its not like im going to suddenly not see fur on the shambler anymore

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Electric blind cave owlbear hypothesis for life, yo.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
Hello thread! I've been slowly making my way through the last ~250-ish pages of this thread and because of the pandemic have been playing a poo poo-ton of old shooty-man games, * for ones i'm playing for the first time and for one i have some commentary on:

FINISHED:
  • Doom
    • Ultimate Doom
    • Doom 2
    • TNT*
    • Plutonia*
    • Going Down*†
    • Scythe 2*
  • Quake
    • Episodes 1-4 with Copper
    • Episode 5*
    • Scourge of Armagon*
    • Dissolution of Eternity*
    • Underdark Overbright*†
  • Doom 3 BFG + Resurrection of Evil
  • Doom (2016)
  • Blood: Fresh Supply*
    • Cryptic Passage*
    • Plasma Pak*
  • Prey (2006)
  • Portal
  • Dusk*†
  • Amid Evil*†

Started but haven't finished
  • Doom Eternal*
  • Doom 64
  • Chasm: The Rift*
  • Quake 4*
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order*
  • Stalker : Shadow of Chernobyl*
  • Hard Reset*
  • Duke Nukem 3D

Planning to play:
  • Ancient Aliens
  • Quake 2
    • The Reckoning*
    • Ground Zero*
  • Half Life
    • Opposing Force
    • Blue Shift*
  • Black Mesa*
  • Half Life 2
    • Episode 1*
    • Episode 2*
  • Unreal
  • Return to Na Pali*
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Currently playing:
Arcane Dimensions

------------------

Commentaries

Going Down : Unbelievably creative and tough as nails, probably the best WAD i've ever played. There's really nothing else like it. The music can grate after a while, but the combat encounters are unparalleled, imo. Mouth of Madness, Gladiator, Black Mass, and Insanity are all highlights.

Copper/Underdark Overbright : I never want to play vanilla Quake without Copper again. The changes are so small but make the overall experience much better. I've mostly overlooked Quake in favour of Doom, although I played it way back when it was new, but I forgot just how good it feels to grenade-duel with Ogres with 3 HP left :black101: . Underdark Overbright is just the right length and I found gorgeous and super enjoyable; I'd recommend it to anyone dipping their toes into Quake custom content. Pit of the Living Dead (Map 04, i think?) is absolutely great.

Prey (2006): Holds up remarkably well. The level design is super cool, but the weapon variety leaves a bit to be desired, and takes itself a bit too seriously, but I think i like it better now then I did when it was new. The vehicle sections weren't as bad as I remember but they certainly aren't memorable either.

Dusk: Absolutely incredible, i was hooked from E1M1. Both the movement and the weapons feel amazing and the set pieces are very memorable. The game is so good that it sort of reignited my taste for FPSes and inspired me to play most of what on the list. The first appearance of the Wendigo is one of my favourite gaming moments in recent memory, also Erebus Reactor rules.

Amid Evil: Not as good as Dusk but I still loved it. The monsters are a bit uninspired, but the colours and level design provide the correct kind of sparklies to make the dopamine in my brain go pop and the weapons are surprisingly meaty and satisfying. Definitely doesn't have the same kind of memorable set pieces as Dusk, but the levels and their arenas are all well designed. It sort of all smears together in a psychedelic colourful otherworld dreamscape and honestly, I think that's still pretty cool.

Doom 64: This thread has kind of a high opinion of it but i found it just as bland and boring as I did back when it was new. The new sprites look awful, like a bad TC, and the new sounds don't do anything for me. Admittedly, that might just be because my brain is so wired for the originals that anything else feels odd and wrong though. The Aubrey Hodges music is admittedly fantastic though, although the tracks from Doom PSX are higher quality.

Duke Nukem 3D: I replayed the first episode of Duke 3D (which most people say is the best, i think) and maybe i'm admitting this to myself as the same time as i admit it to all of you, but it's time to come clean... I hate Duke Nukem 3D. I don't think it's fun at all, and frankly it makes me tired to play it. Actually, other than Blood, which is top notch, i could really do without Build engine games in general. (haven't touched Ion Fury, but i'm not aching to, either).

Arcane Dimensions: Each one of these maps is basically like its own entire game, but i'm enjoying the hell out of them. The new monster varieties really help spice up combat (aside from the gargoyles, they can get hosed). I have never really cared for techbase style Quake maps and there are mercifully few. Grendel's Blade and Foggy Bogbottom have been big highlights. While the larger levels might not be for everybody, I absolutely adore the intricate and shortcut-laden quasi-Dark Souls/Bloodborne style of lots of the maps; they feel like little puzzle boxes to figure out.

What else should I be looking at for my upcoming games list? Can be new or old. In a moment of weakness I almost bought Daikatana on GOG, but came to my senses at the last minute.

edit: also furry shambler for life, i don't care what they say

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Am I the only one that likes Duke more than Blood? Blood is great but I like the settings in Duke more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Am I the only one that likes Duke more than Blood? Blood is great but I like the settings in Duke more.

I'm a western guy so it's the opposite for me. Never understood why they set Blood 2 in the modern day/near future.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I also like the sleazy cityscapes of Duke 3D quite a bit. The space stuff in E2 is kinda fun but I can shoot monsters in space stations in most video games, so it ends up being a little forgettable.

idk if I like it more or less than Blood, but I get what you're saying.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I also like the pipe bombs more than dynamite. Maybe cause I don’t kill myself as much with the former.:v:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Doom 64: This thread has kind of a high opinion of it but i found it just as bland and boring as I did back when it was new. The new sprites look awful, like a bad TC, and the new sounds don't do anything for me. Admittedly, that might just be because my brain is so wired for the originals that anything else feels odd and wrong though. The Aubrey Hodges music is admittedly fantastic though, although the tracks from Doom PSX are higher quality.

agreed. boring boxy levels with few landmarks filled with mystery switches and key hunts. i'm halfway through and not sure i'll be able to finish it since it's so dull.

it's really a testament to how far fan wads have taken the game though.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Squeezy Farm posted:

agreed. boring boxy levels with few landmarks filled with mystery switches and key hunts. i'm halfway through and not sure i'll be able to finish it since it's so dull.

it's really a testament to how far fan wads have taken the game though.

I'll probably finish it eventually, but i stopped right after the Dead Simple knockoff, i think. Even if it's not really for me, i'd be really curious to see how the Doom modding scene would have evolved differently if the 64 code had been GPLed alongside the PC codebase.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Imo the Shambler is covered in baggy scales like an iguana or a turtle that geel weirdly cold and smooth to touch

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Mod in timblers

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I hope they add beautiful hamster like fur to the shambler in id’s unannounced quake single player game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Shambler will have fur in the next Quake game but only because Ranger will accidentally eat a Spawn and TRIP BALLS. When he comes down, he'll be disappointed to find the first Shambler he just killed has no fur, and in fact feels like a raw turkey.