Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

They're just trying to remind people of World War II. But in that war it was the Axis themselves who coined the name; Mussolini (possibly cribbing from the premier of Hungary) declared that Rome and Berlin would form the new axis of power around which Europe would turn.

Rome + Berlin = EU surely! NOW I get it.

Snipe: 1534

Act of Supremacy, (1534) English act of Parliament that recognized Henry VIII as the “Supreme Head of the Church of England.” The act also required an oath of loyalty from English subjects that recognized his marriage to Anne Boleyn. It was repealed in 1555 under Mary I, but in 1559 Parliament adopted a new Act of Supremacy during the reign of Elizabeth I.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

They're just trying to remind people of World War II. But in that war it was the Axis themselves who coined the name; Mussolini (possibly cribbing from the premier of Hungary) declared that Rome and Berlin would form the new axis of power around which Europe would turn.

"Axis" is the cooler name, it has to be said. I was sure the name had been used before by an alliance in a European war but apparently not, or at least not that ten seconds of Wiki-ing can find.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

they disrespect our clapclap time taptamtom claps for britain heros!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I initially read that as "hero fisting"

Make of that what you will...

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Did Banksy log into the wrong account?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Fumble posted:

Massive Attack have always been sound.

Edit: This was not a joke initially.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, I saw Massive Attack at a festival a few years back and apart from being great live and bringing some other cool but less well known acts on to play in the middle of their set, the display behind the stage was showing anti-capitalist and anti-imperialist messages the entire time. They don't make a secret of their politics.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Axis" is the cooler name, it has to be said. I was sure the name had been used before by an alliance in a European war but apparently not, or at least not that ten seconds of Wiki-ing can find.

if Italy had not declared for the UK, France, and Russia in WW1, WW1 would have featured the Triple Entente vs the Triple Alliance rather than the Allies vs the Central Powers

conversely the German-Italian pact was very nearly instead the Pact of Steel (formally the Pact of Friendship and Alliance)... although the secret protocols of said Pact referred to 'der Achse' as a cohesive entity so who knows

the phrase 'axis of power' does pop up fairly frequently beforehand and seems directly traceable to Michael Faraday, with the phrase percolating out of natural philosophy and into politics subsequently

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fumble posted:

Banksy was rumored to be the lead from Massive Attack at one point.
Prob still is lead contender,

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Smack barm, nonce wet and babbys yed etc

In other news, Rileys gonna Rile:

E: apparently he's seeking legal advice over this tweet, and her saying / implying that he was thrown out of the labour party for antisemitism, as opposed to the reality that he left his CLP.

https://www.facebook.com/959780427477483/posts/3533536996768467/

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1357720496922632198?s=19

What's sad is that I can already see how this pans out. Riley uses her legal insurance to spin the case out into irrelevance, playing the victim and getting Bastani monstered in the process while he's doubtlessly under a silencing injunction.

If it ever actually makes it to trial, her lawyers will point out that she simply called him one of the [i]ringleader[s/i] of antisemites, so she just has to prove that his followers are antisemitic.

Case is thrown out, and her mates in the press gleefully report he lost his case against Riley over antisemitism, knowing drat well how that will be read by the Eddie Marstans of the world.

She really is a vile human being.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 6, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The group who changed their name after the onset of the first Gulf War to avoid people linking them to the conflict have always been pretty left-wing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: apparently he's seeking legal advice over this tweet, and her saying / implying that he was thrown out of the labour party for antisemitism, as opposed to that he left by not renewing his fees
Really the only thing that's going to stop her is if people just keep making the same sort of ridiculous claims about her.

kingturnip posted:

The group who changed their name after the onset of the first Gulf War to avoid people linking them to the conflict have always been pretty left-wing.
What's even more messed up is that Rachel Riley developed chemical weapons for Syria before and during the early part of appearing on Countdown.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: apparently he's seeking legal advice over this tweet, and her saying / implying that he was thrown out of the labour party for antisemitism, as opposed to that he left by not renewing his fees

What's sad is that I can already see how this pans out. Riley uses her legal insurance to spin the case out into irrelevance, playing the victim and getting Bastani monstered in the process while he's doubtlessly under a silencing injunction.

If it ever actually makes it to trial, her lawyers will point out that she simply called him one of the [i]ringleader[s/i] of antisemites, so she just has to prove that his followers are antisemitic.

Case is thrown out, and her mates in the press gleefully report he lost his case against Riley over antisemitism, knowing drat well how that will be read by the Eddie Marstans of the world.

i’ll throw :10bux: down for this

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

People like Bastani should defend themselves from lovely defamation like that but you're fooling yourself if you think that'll make anything stop.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: apparently he's seeking legal advice over this tweet, and her saying / implying that he was thrown out of the labour party for antisemitism, as opposed to the reality that he left his CLP.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1357720496922632198?s=19

If Bastani quit (which he probably did as have many of us) he won't be under a silencing injunction will he? That's if you get suspended from labour? Or do you mean something different?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UrLDiTLvU

This is a great video for examining the fall of france during ww2 from a military perspective

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Christ the Jewish Chronicle is positively insane:

Jewish Chronicle posted:

Miriam Shaviv rehashes the old chestnut, calling the London Beth Din conversion process into question. She highlights the increasing intermarriage problem across the Jewish spectrum and suggests that Liberal Judaism’s recent allowance for mixed faith blessings under a Chupah “acknowledges and makes some attempt to deal with reality,” She maintains that the London Beth Din easing the conversion process will alleviate some of the intermarriage plight amongst next generation United Synagogue families. In other words, make it easier for non-Jews to convert to the faith for the sake of marriage.

Her argument is flawed on several counts. First, to suggest that Liberal Judaism allowing mixed faith blessings under a Chupah “makes some attempt to deal with reality,” is tantamount to saying, “providing whisky to an alcoholic goes some way to help dealing with his dependency.” It doesn’t ‘deal’ with the problem. It merely enables and exacerbates it.

Second, Liberal Judaism’s own conversion process is far easier than the London Beth Din, requiring minimal observance. Clearly that has done very little to prevent intermarriage, hence their desperate measure of condoning mix-faith Chupas.

Third, which part of the process does Shaviv think the London Beth Din should ease up on? Keep kosher but park around the Synagogue corner on Shabbat? Religion involves intellectual and emotional commitment: a profound conviction of what the believer perceives as absolute truth regarding the ultimate values of life, or reality. By implication, then, it is the most serious decision one could make.

One does not change convictions or moral standards for the sake of being accepted in certain circles, or even for the sake of marriage. A country will accept as new citizens only such candidates who are willing to accept the prevailing constitution, code of laws and norms of that nation, and agree to share in all obligations and responsibilities. So, too, with citizenship in the faith of Israel.

Intermarriage is a real threat to the survival of the Jewish people. But the sad fact that mainstream Orthodoxy is failing to inspire the next generation is not rectified by changing our moral principles and adopting fraudulent means to ease people into the faith. To effect a proper change we have to reform ourselves, not our faith and morality. Dealing with intermarriage necessitates expending greater energy in outreach, devising modern methods to enable Jewish singles to meet one other, exploiting more on-line opportunities and a myriad creative ways that can engage the next generation.

More than anything, charity begins at home. The conversation about marrying Jewish doesn’t begin at the dating age of sixteen. It starts well before that, in early childhood. In the words of a “National Jewish Population Study” as far back as 1973: “a strongly Jewish upbringing,” and “parental opposition to interdating” are key factors in preventing intermarriage. Jewish parents ignore that at their peril. Don’t go blaming the London Beth Din afterwards.

That's a more stringent position on marriage outside the faith than Saudi Arabia has, at least in some ways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When ur against racism so you start talking about "the intermarriage problem"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Posted for the reply at the bottom.

https://twitter.com/CptCatastrophe/status/1357802546384031745?s=20

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Hugo Rifkind: we’ve accepted the racism of the right, so there’s no interest in discussing it.

David Baddiel: David Cameron used the word yid in front of me but I said nothing, even though he’s a leftist and all leftists are antisemites.

Galaxy brain island

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I too am against semi-tits

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If Bastani quit (which he probably did as have many of us) he won't be under a silencing injunction will he? That's if you get suspended from labour? Or do you mean something different?
If there was a case against Riley. I always hear about weird injunctions that can be applied for in slander /libel cases that stop people the people involved from talking about it publicly, and they always seem to screw the person who needs to be able to justify themselves.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Didn't Riley get that case thrown out against the guy who said she was a ringleader and targetted that 16 year old girl by claiming shes not responsible for other peoples tweets?

Bastani has said hes seeking legal advice.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Deadline 8th Feb 9AM

PAID up to 4 hours work: If you are or know anyone 16-25, Wales:

I know Yvonne and she stood as a Labour candidate in the GE2019

https://www.omidaze.co.uk/blog/the-democracy-box-young-co-creator-call-out/

quote:

Omidaze/Yvonne Murphy has been awarded second stage Clwstwr funding and is seeking 16-25 year olds who would be interested in joining our existing team of young co-creatives for The Democracy Box . The project is researching how we can make the simplest and stickiest Public & Education Voter Information campaign possible to ensure all UK citizens understand the basics of our Democracy.

Who can apply?
I would like to hear from 16-25 year olds in Wales and particularly those who

Consider themselves creative and in touch with people in their age group
Spend at least two hours a day on social media
Can tell us why they did or did not vote in the 2019 General Election.
Have always voted/have never voted/will never vote/think it’s all a waste of time/believe strongly in democracy/not into politics/extremely political and everything in between
Have strong opinions on things including or not including democracy or politics
Are interested in creating cut-through content across multi-media platforms
Are suffering particular financial hardship at present

Live in one of these five constituencies –

Cynon Valley
Torfaen
Newport East
Swansea East
Alyn & Deeside

Please only apply if you are available for two introduction sessions on February 24 4-6pm & 25 4.30-6pm and you give permission for us to use your data and application as part of our R&D if you are successful.

... lots more info on the link....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Finally at the age where I'm no longer looking at "18-25" and thinking I'm just outside of that window but now feel like :corsair:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Finally at the age where I'm no longer looking at "18-25" and thinking I'm just outside of that window but now feel like :corsair:

I'm at the age when nieces and nephews are in their 30s and some have got kids!
And a lot of my similar age friends are GRANDPARENTS... omg. You feel :corsair:, I feel :corsair: :corsair:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ I personally feel old because of the alarming amount of body parts that are starting to fail me.

serious gaylord posted:

Didn't Riley get that case thrown out against the guy who said she was a ringleader and targetted that 16 year old girl by claiming shes not responsible for other peoples tweets?

Bastani has said hes seeking legal advice.
I mean that's assuming that the law applies equally to the left and centre.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Riley's lovely https://twitter.com/buddy_hell/status/1358042218414637059?s=19

Covid too https://mobile.twitter.com/janinegibson/status/1358151228203683854?s=21

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:coronatoot:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
At least we ate out to help out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/BoardofDeputies/status/1358135768649244676?s=20

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

namesake posted:

People like Bastani should defend themselves from lovely defamation like that but you're fooling yourself if you think that'll make anything stop.

Bastani's an interesting case, when Long-Bailey was sacked for retweeting an Independent article by Maxine Peake he pointed out, correctly, that Peake should be suing gently caress out of the Labour Party for libel that her piece was antisemitic in the slightest.

It's obviously not financially viable for most people to defend themselves against defamation but I honestly think Bastani would see the greater benefit in doing it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Does the US still have that law where their official stance on their soldiers being tried in the ICC is 'invade the netherlands and get them back'?

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How did it pan out (the meeting)? Did the manager understand about the sickle cell anaemia?

She works in HR, of course she didn't. She was more worried about me wearing scrubs that might be contaminated with DEATH. She sent me two extra e-mails highlighting the importance changing out of my scrubs before violating her office with my prestilence, despite mentioning it in the first one. So I wore my Class War t shirt to work that day. She was alright about it to be honest and I probably didn't need to cough as much as I did, but gently caress HR.

I doubt anything will come of it but if they ask for another meeting I'm going Trade Unioned up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dogatron posted:

She works in HR, of course she didn't. She was more worried about me wearing scrubs that might be contaminated with DEATH. She sent me two extra e-mails highlighting the importance changing out of my scrubs before violating her office with my prestilence, despite mentioning it in the first one. So I wore my Class War t shirt to work that day. She was alright about it to be honest and I probably didn't need to cough as much as I did, but gently caress HR.

I doubt anything will come of it but if they ask for another meeting I'm going Trade Unioned up.

Unsurprising. Struggles with getting HR to understand anything technical/specialist used to be the bane of my existence, albeit in a totally different sphere to yourself!

Unrelated:

What is the general opinion ITT of the reliability of Skwawkbox? I've not really read it that often but I've noted comments on here and in other places which tend to put it down a little.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

Bastani's an interesting case, when Long-Bailey was sacked for retweeting an Independent article by Maxine Peake he pointed out, correctly, that Peake should be suing gently caress out of the Labour Party for libel that her piece was antisemitic in the slightest.

It's obviously not financially viable for most people to defend themselves against defamation but I honestly think Bastani would see the greater benefit in doing it.

The Israeli security services did not train the police who killed George Floyd. They did not learn that tactic from the Israelis. The American police are quite capable of figuring out how to oppress people all by themselves - they’ve had enough practise. Drawing a link between George Floyd’s murder and Israel where there is none is what? An innocent mistake? A classic antisemitic trope is blaming Jews (or the Jewish state) for all the ills in the world. US police are trained by many other countries but only Israel was mentioned. Curious.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

The Israeli security services did not train the police who killed George Floyd. They did not learn that tactic from the Israelis. The American police are quite capable of figuring out how to oppress people all by themselves - they’ve had enough practise. Drawing a link between George Floyd’s murder and Israel where there is none is what? An innocent mistake? A classic antisemitic trope is blaming Jews (or the Jewish state) for all the ills in the world. US police are trained by many other countries but only Israel was mentioned. Curious.

https://israelitacticalkravmaga.com/

scroll down the page a bit.

Now, prior to this all breaking out in the press, this particular website had on its front page a huge image of a person being 'kneed' as George Floyd, boasted of training by former Israeli security services based in Brooklyn and a list of US police forces they had trained. A link to this was posted in many places. A big panic on that website ensued and it was taken down and completely redone over a weekend so that big image was not the first thing you saw. However, there is still a smaller image of a similar training with someone kneeling on a neck in the photos that follow.

Interestingly, despite having been saved over 60 times over the relevant week, these 'saves' have all disappeared from the webarchive service.

If you look at this link http://labournet.net/world/2006/kravmaga1.html, you will see how the page looked prior to the 'take down'. Neck being kneeled on, fingers in eyes.

Ok, I've uploaded the image directly here:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thankyou for posting that because I couldn't remember where to find it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Thankyou for posting that because I couldn't remember where to find it.

There were 60+ saves in the web archive last June and they have ALL disappeared.
I know because I was one of the savers.

Ed: I have been corrected by Zhar on page 36. The reason I couldn't find them is because they're under https://web.archive.org/web/20200626142123/https://israelitacticalkravmaga.com/law-enforcement/

and I had forgotten that you had to put the law-enforcement bit in.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

OwlFancier posted:

Do tell if it's nice, I remember it being nice but I've never been able to find it since that one time years ago.

It's good, very drinkable! Funny that apparently they're only making and selling it to get some cashflow while their whiskey ages.