Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Taratang posted:

Requesting a refund on average once a month for six months straight is significant. They tell you right there the refund system is not for trying games you're unsure you'll enjoy. Keeping 24 other purchases is irrelevant.

Then they shouldn't have one of the refund reasons be "It's not fun". :crossarms: ... :colbert:

when the gently caress did those smilies swap icons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ambaire posted:

About ten years ago. Pretty sure they were already like that when I registered.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I got a Quest 2 this week with a cable and finally got to mess around with it. I stuck to the two games I knew were good, SUPERHOT VR and Half Life: Alyx.

:stare: Dear God, they are crazy.

Showed it to my brother and his wife and had fun watching them look at the tiles and the plants.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also thanks for all the responses on Valheim. That actually looks like a refreshing take on the survival genre with it's terraria like progression and PvE emphasis.

I ended up picking up Valheim earlier this morning

IDK what to make of it quite yet but it sure is pretty

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Quote posted:

Doom 64 is loving awesome. Can't believe I never played this before. I, like many, thought that it was just one of many inferior console ports of DooM. It whips. I'm playing through with a rule that I can only save every 2 levels. It's led to a bunch of pistol starts and I've always been able to squeak through on the "I Own Doom" difficulty. Found 1 secret level so far and it was a cool suspended walkway type area with neat colored lighting.

The music is sparse but very atmospheric. Give the game a really creepy vibe. It's the best $5 I've spent in a while.

In my opinion, the only bummer is that while the game is designed to allow pistol starts, the secret components to enhance the Unmaker weapon only appear in specific levels, and are lost when you pistol-restart a level.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also thanks for all the responses on Valheim. That actually looks like a refreshing take on the survival genre with it's terraria like progression and PvE emphasis.

Yeah, nthing my enjoyment for Valheim, playing with one other person. The game drip feeds you new stuff as you progress, and it's fun to just wander around, explore things, figure out how to access a new material, get a ton of new recipes to try out and experiment with. We're having lots of fun just figuring out what materials we want to gather, building gear then setting off to take on the next boss.

There's been some fun surprises like encountering a few large enemies, or the havoc you can cause by knocking down a tree into other trees.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Terraria-like progression" is doing a lot to sell me on that game. The lack of a real sense of progression is often a problem in survival games like that. Might be hard to live up, to though, because Terraria is one of the best games on the market.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PowerBeard posted:

I got a Quest 2 this week with a cable and finally got to mess around with it. I stuck to the two games I knew were good, SUPERHOT VR and Half Life: Alyx.

:stare: Dear God, they are crazy.

Showed it to my brother and his wife and had fun watching them look at the tiles and the plants.

Half Life: Alyx is absolutely amazing.

Some free things to try on SteamVR:

Propogation VR: More like a demo, but its a pretty darn fun zombie shooting experience
The Lab: A collection of great demos made by Valve all done in the Portal style. Probably the best VR demo experience out there.
Google Earth: you already know what this is... but it's in 3D/VR and is a really trippy experience zooming into a spot on the world and standing like a giant looking at the mountains and buildings all around you.

And then of course don't forget to buy Beatsaber because it is absolutely amazingly fun.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ambaire posted:

Then they shouldn't have one of the refund reasons be "It's not fun". :crossarms: ... :colbert:

Are you refunding to your Steam wallet or your credit card/paypal, by the way? Might make no difference, but I could see Valve clamping down harder on refunds that have to involve external systems.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ymgve posted:

It's totally possible that these keys are somehow linked with an expiry date connected to your EA subscription - since the subscription is still active for like a month, the keys seem like they are permanent, but the games will disappear next month. Of course, it's EA, so probably not.
Someone remind me to check in a month.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Valheim is pretty fun, did the 2nd boss last night. Which opens up the swamp area and iron mining.
It was near impossible to get my body back during a fight because of its AOEs.

Also be careful with who you share your server pass with.
We posted it in an SA discord and someone named berk berk came in, stole all the ores and logged out.
Goons griefing goons.
Immediately rolled the server back 10m, changed the pass and got it all back though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't reliably find any flint or stone, and boars keep goring me :(

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
If I ever get VR the first thing I try will be Terminus. Saw someone play that and it looked extremely like my kind of poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHDSBX7JH0

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Stone is kinda random - eventually you'll find plenty - flint you find specifically by and in water.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Quote posted:

Doom 64 is loving awesome. Can't believe I never played this before. I, like many, thought that it was just one of many inferior console ports of DooM. It whips. I'm playing through with a rule that I can only save every 2 levels. It's led to a bunch of pistol starts and I've always been able to squeak through on the "I Own Doom" difficulty. Found 1 secret level so far and it was a cool suspended walkway type area with neat colored lighting.

The music is sparse but very atmospheric. Give the game a really creepy vibe. It's the best $5 I've spent in a while.

Woah, that’s commendable. I’ve got it for Switch, and I’m quick saving all the way through levels. It is a great game, and I imagine it’s fun to play however you like. Definitely considering getting the original to play on PC though.

Also, The Dream Machine is one trippy game. It’s a bummer it uses Flash and gets pretty chuggy after an hour or so, but the story and gameplay are interesting and the “graphics” (it’s claymation) are quite beautiful. For the $5 I spent, it’s been well worth the price of admission. Looking at the Cube Escape collection next. Love me some point and clicks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Xander77 posted:

Is that literally the entire line in the whole review to even mention the central premise and unique mechanic? Huh.

Good thing I'm familiar with the game from elsewhere.

I'm familiar with the first LP, that's probably why I got it onto my wishlist in the first place. I never finished watching the whole thing at the time because of the slow update schedule, though. I might as well now to see how to get through that section. ... wait, you can shrink and expand those time-stop bubbles? I never knew that. That's probably important and I don't think that the game ever explained that, never mind forced you to use it.

EDIT: Finished the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

First thing to do is turn off grass, and then you'll see stone everywhere.
Flint is along waterways.

Feb 2, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In my opinion, the only bummer is that while the game is designed to allow pistol starts, the secret components to enhance the Unmaker weapon only appear in specific levels, and are lost when you pistol-restart a level.

Ahh shoot. Welp a reason for a second go around.

But as for this run the super shotgun and the plasma cannon are doing plenty of unmaking :hellyeah:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

heres our cute fort after a couple hours

valheim has a fun visual style

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 6, 2021

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is Valheim worth it for totally single-player only, or is it more multi-dependent than Terraria? Like does the balance adjust for the player count or is solo just for masochists?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lakitu7 posted:

Is Valheim worth it for totally single-player only, or is it more multi-dependent than Terraria? Like does the balance adjust for the player count or is solo just for masochists?

it does balance based on player numbers, im playing a bit solo now, ill see how bad it is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OgNar posted:

First thing to do is turn off grass, and then you'll see stone everywhere.
Flint is along waterways.

Oh wow, yeah if you're having trouble finding stone turn the vegetation down to low. There were rocks all around my house and I had no idea :v:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I can see the first boss being soloable, not sure on the second boss which gets you into iron.
He is basically a massive Treant.

Multiplayer tip, when on a ship/raft in and not at the oar, sit down or hold on.
We lost multiple people on a voyage with a little lag.
And getting that boat/raft back to pick them up is a massive pain.
If you do fall off, DON'T swim.
You lose stamina if you do and you would never make it anywhere before drowning.
Just sit and wait for that ride.

The buff from the second boss allows you to chop a tree in 2 hits when its active.
Boss buffs have a 5m up and 15m down time(I think).
You can only have 1 boss buff up at a time, though they are team buffs and can be shared if in vicinity when used.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 6, 2021

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

queeb posted:

we didnt play much but we had 2 assaults before the first boss and they were just like, hordes of boars. we didnt even have walls or anything but killed them all pretty easily both times. We just killed the first boss and went into the 2nd area before we stopped for the night so im not sure how much it ramps up after that. Only 2 attacks in like 4 hours of playing though,

Nordick posted:

I haven't played The Forest, but the assaults in Valheim aren't really a big deal at all. I don't know if they're more frequent with more players or something, but during the 38 hours I've played now, I think I've had like... six or seven of them? And they're just a slightly larger group of enemies that barge in and attack you, very much beatable if you are reasonably equipped and have room to kite around. And even if they do kill you, death actually isn't of a huge consequence in this game. Your skills decrease slightly, but there's even a cooldown on that so repeated deaths aren't gonna cripple you or anything, and you can pick all your poo poo up from your "grave marker" thingy.

Alright, thanks, both of you. Looks like I'll pick up Valheim pretty soon, then! Cheers!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I finished Final Fantasy XV and I have the certificate to prove it:

I laughed pretty hard when I got to the end and it turned out that that was the only photo I had saved during the entire game. Must have been from the first time I camped.

Then I laughed even harder when I saw Noctis and Lunafreya looking at it together on their throne. At least she's not jealous.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OK, three more demos, good ones...

Loop Hero: The other star of the festival besides Foregone. I could definitely see myself being addicted to this, although I think I might prefer it on a phone rather than computer, since it is idle-adjacent. As long as the game can remember where I left off if the phone closes it for memory reasons. If people want something more descriptive... loop hero has your character on rails around a track fighting enemies, and whenever they cycle the loop, enemy level and gear level goes up. You also gain cards and gear from defeating enemies. The cards get placed on the landscape to provide either passive buffs, resources, or spawn new enemy types. Resources get used back at camp to build up a home village, a typical idle game thing (but another comparison might be the castle in Rogue Legacy). I'm just curious to see if the game stays at "idle" difficulty (i.e. easy as hell) or if it will ratchet things up in future chapters.

Alekon: while Beasts of Maravilla Island tried its hardest to do a Pokemon Snap/animal photography game, it was really janky and visually cluttered. Alekon gets a lot closer to nailing it. It has the on-rails maps like Snap, and it also has tiny villages you can wander around in. When you take a picture of a creature, they get added to the village and usually have a sidequest/minigame for you to do, and fulfilling that sidequest/minigame will often give you a new ability or game feature. One sidequest gave me the ability to run & jump, another revealed all the possible creature poses on the dashboard, and another lets you throw donuts, which can be used in the on-rails maps to get a couple of new reactions from the creatures. Taking good pictures of the creatures (and different poses count as different entries) gets you Creativity, which is used to unlock new areas. The demo seems pretty lengthy as it has not just the first region but also at the very least the start of the second region (I quit at that point because I don't know if my save would carry over to the full game). I'm into it.

Happy Game: It's Anamita Design (and weirdly a 60fps game from them? usually their games run at like 12) of Machinarium and Botanicula fame. This game is in the CHUCHEL vein but a more "something cute becomes spooky!" direction. I think this still works even though it's kind of rote, because Anamita has a unique voice and aesthetic so they can come up with some designs that aren't necessarily scary but are interesting. I will probably play the full version of this on Apple Arcade.. I'm assuming it'll be on there since Creaks and Pilgrims were.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ambaire posted:

6 of 30 games in the past 6 months refunded, and they say it's 'significant'. Guess this is a good reason to start :filez: the ones I'm not sure if I'll enjoy... I really wish more games had demos.

they say this but i dont think they actually turn off your refunds. its just to scare you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Played the demo to Foregone. Left a really strong impression, the combat is easy to get into and very reminiscent of Dead Cells both in feel and art direction. I liked having the randomized weapon and armor drops to keep the combat interesting. My only complaint is that the drop rate was a little overkill, but maybe they upped it to showcase all of the unique types. I found a really nice gunchuku that I took all the way to the first boss. I'll be looking forward to this one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Awesome! posted:

they say this but i dont think they actually turn off your refunds. its just to scare you.

Yeah I think last time an informal poll was done in this thread nobody had ever experienced having refunds disabled, and there was one person who said they've done like over 60 refunds in a year lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nioh 2 on PC is great. No idea where people on Steam are getting all those framedrops from, but on my 1070Ti it's buttery smooth so far.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Nioh 2 on PC is great. No idea where people on Steam are getting all those framedrops from, but on my 1070Ti it's buttery smooth so far.

I was going to ask about that... I'm very tempted but the Mixed rating with all the negative reviews mentioning bad framerates even on high end cards were making me cautious.

I've noticed that the Mixed rating does become Very Positive when you filter by English Language only though, so maybe something else is going on there? I can't read any of them to find out what though!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Rage McDougal posted:

I was going to ask about that... I'm very tempted but the Mixed rating with all the negative reviews mentioning bad framerates even on high end cards were making me cautious.

I've noticed that the Mixed rating does become Very Positive when you filter by English Language only though, so maybe something else is going on there? I can't read any of them to find out what though!

I know that I was having trouble until I took some advice and turned "extra effects" down to low in the settings, which made no difference graphically that I could notice, but majorly boosted FPS. Didn't see the boost immediately but returning to title screen and reloading the game after changing it made everything run smooth

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I can't believe steam allows this degenerate poo poo

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rage McDougal posted:

It's weird to me too, I haven't had any trouble with it, seems just as smooth as the first Nioh and other recent Koei-Tecmo ports. I do have a 2070 super, but a pretty outdated processor and RAM. Apparently there's also some sort of infinite loading/lock up glitch, but that's literally every PC game :v:

I'm really enjoying it a lot, it's just more Nioh with new weapons and mechanics and whatnot. I wish they'd fixed the itemization... but they may have done new stuff with the blacksmith, I haven't unlocked that yet. The oni transformation thing is sick as hell, and it seems like it has some version of the soul collection mechanics from Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rage McDougal posted:

Well, I'm experiencing no issues at all so far. It worked out of the box and looks perfectly fine, so it's possible that it's some kind of driver or porting issue. My graphics is last-gen, but the NVidia drivers are very up to date, so it's likely to be something specific to the systems of the people who have issues. If you try it and don't have any framerate drops within the return period, I don't think you will be seeing any. If you do, it might be worth waiting for a patch.

Begemot posted:

I'm really enjoying it a lot, it's just more Nioh with new weapons and mechanics and whatnot. I wish they'd fixed the itemization... but they may have done new stuff with the blacksmith, I haven't unlocked that yet. The oni transformation thing is sick as hell, and it seems like it has some version of the soul collection mechanics from Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow?
Yeah, Soul Cores work basically literally like Dawn of Sorrow. I gots me a nice Mezuki core and now I'm smacking everything with a giant saw-cleaver.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, Soul Cores work basically literally like Dawn of Sorrow. I gots me a nice Mezuki core and now I'm smacking everything with a giant saw-cleaver.

Except it's Nioh so each equippable skill also has like 3 randomized passive effects attached to it, they can be fused into each other to make their abilities more powerful, and there are synergies to look out for between them and your equipped guardian spirit, which is a completely different complicated mechanic. Unironically love it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

Except it's Nioh so each equippable skill also has like 3 randomized passive effects attached to it, they can be fused into each other to make their abilities more powerful, and there are synergies to look out for between them and your equipped guardian spirit, which is a completely different complicated mechanic. Unironically love it
In other words, it's exactly like Dawn of Sorrow but even more awesome. I love this game.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Also having no issues with Nioh 2 - even at 1440p. 3080, 7700K (4.2 GHz), 16 GB RAM.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Awesome! posted:

Pretty much. Refunds are as much a convenience for Valve as for us. They avoid legal beef with countries that expect refund policies for digital stores, and we get basic consumer rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had some slowdown issues in Nioh 2 on a 3080 so I lowered the effects setting and that seems to have fixed it with not really any noticeable difference in quality per the Nioh thread.