Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh boy, do Mexico's gundam next, this is definitely the thread for it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I just finished Schitt's Creek and the one thing that stuck with me was how healthy all the relationships are after ~Season 3. The parents have been happily married for 40 years, and while their relationship has its challenges, there's none of that sitcom drama where they find someone younger and sexier that tests their loyalty to each other. The episode where Moira "sleeps" with Roland is a perfect example -- she feels embarrassed that she got drunk and ended up passing out in his room, not guilty. And John's only upset because his wife's upset.

Even Ted and Alexis' relationship ends on a healthy note, with them deciding that it sucks, but they don't want the same things in life. Neither of them want to uproot their careers to follow the other, which is a pretty common in real life, but hardly ever shown in sitcoms.

It makes something like Arrested Development seem incredibly dated, especially the reboot.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

hyperhazard posted:

It makes something like Arrested Development seem incredibly dated, especially the reboot.

Isn't that a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison though? The heir of Arrested Development is Succession.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Arrested Development is aware that its characters are hazardous and perhaps irredeemable. I think it can be seen as a dark timeline tragedy. Main character marries a loving partner and escapes the gravity well of a dysfunctional family, partner dies young and unexpectedly, main character returns to the only family he has left and we witness he and his son grow to adopt the selfishness and maladaptive patterns of the family. They were good people and now they are doomed.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

indiscriminately posted:

Arrested Development is aware that its characters are hazardous and perhaps irredeemable. I think it can be seen as a dark timeline tragedy. Main character marries a loving partner and escapes the gravity well of a dysfunctional family, partner dies young and unexpectedly, main character returns to the only family he has left and we witness he and his son grow to adopt the selfishness and maladaptive patterns of the family. They were good people and now they are doomed.

Michael Bluth, in addition to becoming worse over time, also I think is shown that he never was nearly as pure as he thought himself to be. From the beginning he derides his family, while engaging in similar selfish behaviors.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the ending to that show sucked rear end

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nottherealaborn posted:

Michael Bluth, in addition to becoming worse over time, also I think is shown that he never was nearly as pure as he thought himself to be. From the beginning he derides his family, while engaging in similar selfish behaviors.
Yeah I found Bateman so likable and-- given where I was in life at the time-- relatable that I was really impressed as I started to realize "oh wow yeah Michael is just as bad as them, in some ways even worse because he still thinks he's got a moral high ground." The reboot sucked but it did keep it consistent that the Bluth family is irredeemable and we should all eat the rich.
G Gundam falls into the exact same category as Street Fighter II where it was made by Japanese people who did not think the project would ever be big outside of Japan, much less last for decades after. I think if you really lay both properties out end to end the stereotyping is consistently benign and intended in the spirit of goofy, childish fun, with a few outliers which could be explained by ignorance, and I don't get the impression anyone behind the projects would dig their heels in defending Tequila or Zulu Gundam if enough people asked it to be changed.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:hmmyes: sounds like it aged badly

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was bad on release.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:hmmyes: sounds like it aged badly

It's hard to age badly when there was never any pretension of good. G Gundam rules in the same exact way MXC does.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah people legit love G Gundam because of how stupid it is

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Casnorf posted:

It's hard to age badly when there was never any pretension of good. G Gundam rules in the same exact way MXC does.

They have robots that go super saiyan plus magical card suit crests you can inherit by defeating the previous crest holder.

When the earth was being ruined all the rich countries just decided to attach rocket engines to the land and lift a huge chunk of their country up to become a orbiting space station for the rich and powerful to live.

The world best martial artists are so strong they fight giant gundams with their bare hands.

Also, to pilot the gundams you stand still while the cockpit ring descends to wrap you in a skin tight spandex suit.

It knows it's terrible shonen robot fighting and doesn't ever try to pretend it isn't.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Your gifs do not include the important fact that the guy's rear end is just as lovingly featured as the woman's. Also the American Gundam is a football player with boxing gloves that rides a surfboard.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
JFC that space station

ilmucche posted:

Nether Gundam

Are the windmill blades at least made of something sturdier than wood?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

THIS BURNING HAND OF MINE BURNS WITH BURNING JUSTICE

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don't forget that there is a horse Gundam that is piloted by a horse that goes through the same body suit process

Also the horse Gundam is then rode by other gundams

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

indiscriminately posted:

The ending of the original run at least had Michael realize that the family was a lost cause, and he and his son sever from them. Michael realizes that his relationship with his son takes precedent over his loyalty to a family that doesn't give a poo poo about him. It's surprisingly healthy.

The the reunion season has them back in the drama, and backstabbing each other as they fight over the same woman. Which is hosed up in a lot of ways.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Len posted:

Don't forget that there is a horse Gundam that is piloted by a horse that goes through the same body suit process

Also the horse Gundam is then rode by other gundams
Oh my god, you're not even joking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYtEFf0cBc

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Neo America’s colony is literally a giant star with the Statue of Liberty and a giant flag. And yes, the Statue of Liberty has a secret super cannon built into it.

Most Gundam shows try to be serious war stories, with mixed results. G Gundam is :krad: insanity with an actually solid story behind it, which is why it owns.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
From episode 1 to 51 when the VAs are doing a dramatic line reading half they time they are emoting like they are watching their family get killed in front of them.

Of all the dubs I've ever watching G Gundam is up there as an all time great because whoever was directing them told them to go as hard as they could, no subtle inflection or nuance just raw screaming anger or pain.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It's almost like everyone involved knew there wasn't a hint of malice in any part of it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more that romantic subplots in literally everything draw directly from romcoms usually without even the setting and context they have.

Like, even shows that mostly have romantic relationships happen offscreen are better. Dragon Ball actually comes to mind, as a lot of relationships are shown as rocky, weird and not even necessarily ideal, but still more realistically and nuanced than nearly all anime, let alone cartoons and TV.

Hell, let's get into DBZ a bit. Goku and Chi-Chi are interesting since some of the nuance of their relationship is lost in the dub- namely, they're both given accents of backwoods mountain hicks in the original, with surprisingly similar stereotypes to American equivalents as a result. (yes, been compared to Cletus and Brandine from the Simpsons and it's not entirely off the mark) Them having very few public displays of affection tracks with this, in something that got also maybe lost in the dub of Super where Goku is apparently surprised at someone kissing their wife in public (which has Vegeta of all people wonder how he's still married) and a few people wonder why they stick together, but Chi-Chi's traditional enough to stick with the one man who accidentally accepted her marriage proposal when he was a tween. Well, that and Goku is a thoughtless, literal alien weirdo but he's stupid hot and definitely loyal. We see worse in r/relationships every day. (also, after the Buu saga, he's technically ten years younger)

Bulma and Vegeta is an interesting one, since the subtext is their relationship was based pretty much entirely on physical attraction to start with (and Bulma dumping Yamcha because of possibly unfounded jealousy) but they eventually formed a working relationship after Vegeta learned some hard lessons about fatherhood, and by Super, Vegeta actually seems surprised by his capacity to care, and is dealing with his emotional and social boundaries because he wants to be with his family. (funny thing is the opening episodes of Super kinda read as Vegeta having massive social anxiety issues) There's a whole thing with that in the final saga, but really more interesting when he's so hesitant to actually join a super important fight that Whis magically accelerates Bulma's pregnancy to a neat clean newborn just to get it out of the way. (which Bulma takes pretty much in stride probably because she's dealt with unending weirdness since she was a teenager)

Krillin and 18 is an interesting one, for a few reasons, but I think a key point is- he demonstrated he had power over her, and then voluntarily gave it up, at massive personal risk (and kinda disastrous overall consequences, but hey) specifically because he felt so utterly uncomfortable with it. A way more solid basis for a relationship than most, especially since there was a previously established mutual attraction. And frankly, they probably have the best relationship of the lot, even with Krillin looking for an actual job and becoming a cop (at the very least, an incredibly restrained and professional one given at that point, even after going to seed, he's at a power level comparable to some versions of Superman) because of 18 apparently having expensive tastes, they both seem perfectly happy. And her brother 17 implicitly trusts her judgement on that- that if he's keeping her happy, he's worth her time.

(will admit that Dragon Ball Abridged has overwritten a fair few of my memories of DBZ, but hey)

haha vegeta and bulmas relationship ship is so wacky remember when he killed all her friends and did a genocide because he got mad

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

G Gundam also has a goddamn Sailor Moon Gundam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhrASiPktwY

Crowetron posted:

Also the American Gundam is a football player with boxing gloves that rides a surfboard.

You left out that the boxing gloves are his football pads and also he has a six shooter because cowboys and that the pilot's name is CHIBODEE GODDAMN CROCKET. :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

G Gundam is way better than Gundam Wing and it's a shame Wing is the more popular one. drat you Toonnami

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Len posted:

G Gundam is way better than Gundam Wing and it's a shame Wing is the more popular one. drat you Toonnami

G Gundam’s ratings were almost as good as Wings when it aired a few years later. The problem was that really didn’t matter because the toy line was awful. Predictably, stuff like the Nether and Mermaid Gundams, and other oddball designs didn’t sell well compared to Wing, or the UC line that had been out between them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Calico Heart posted:

haha vegeta and bulmas relationship ship is so wacky remember when he killed all her friends and did a genocide because he got mad

He also killed a ton of people after they were married.

But he said my bad so who can be mad

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also killed a ton of people after they were married.

But he said my bad so who can be mad

Basically every friend Goku has made since Bulma was originally a villain. Even Yamcha was a bandit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vegeta is still a bad dad in Super. He reluctantly goes on a trip to a theme park with his family, acts like a sulky child the whole time (except when eating) and flies away to train when Bulma tells him he's fulfilled a basic, minimal obligation to his son. The episode is somehow considered a mark in his favour by many.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Basically every friend Goku has made since Bulma was originally a villain. Even Yamcha was a bandit.

No I mean this was after his turn. He killed a ton of people in the tournament arena to get Goku to fight him at the Buu Saga

His kid was like ten at the time

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

The ending of the original run at least had Michael realize that the family was a lost cause, and he and his son sever from them. Michael realizes that his relationship with his son takes precedent over his loyalty to a family that doesn't give a poo poo about him. It's surprisingly healthy.

The the reunion season has them back in the drama, and backstabbing each other as they fight over the same woman. Which is hosed up in a lot of ways.

Maybe true to life, though, that they'd get wrapped back in. George Michael didn't want to leave the family and was gradually losing respect for Michael's decision making. Michael was unmoored and increasingly desperate in finding love- his first and only good prospect was Marta (who yeeted herself away in the first season, quite correctly), everyone else he pursues is a mistake. I think he'd have to have been pretty lucky to have a happy ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sassassin posted:

Vegeta is still a bad dad in Super. He reluctantly goes on a trip to a theme park with his family, acts like a sulky child the whole time (except when eating) and flies away to train when Bulma tells him he's fulfilled a basic, minimal obligation to his son. The episode is somehow considered a mark in his favour by many.

I mean, the level of bad dad in DBZ is high enough that actually caring for your family (like Vegeta does) is seen as the best father ever. Goku spends most of Goten's life either dead or off training.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

sassassin posted:

Super is a show thats aging so badly I can already tell its terrible.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Gundam Wing was the only Gundam show we even got over here (uncensored too). Teen me ate it up.

(edit: this is a strange time to find out I have no idea how to remove posts)

DeafNote has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Feb 7, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Super is a show thats aging so badly I can already tell its terrible.

It’s just more Z. What your seeing is Z was always bad

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s just more Z. What your seeing is Z was always bad

Fair enough. But at least it looked prettier.
...40 % of the time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
e: i can't read!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hyperhazard posted:

Even Ted and Alexis' relationship ends on a healthy note, with them deciding that it sucks, but they don't want the same things in life. Neither of them want to uproot their careers to follow the other, which is a pretty common in real life, but hardly ever shown in sitcoms.

Moments like that are never shown in media, which probably makes it the single most "adult" moment in television.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

I mean, the level of bad dad in DBZ is high enough that actually caring for your family (like Vegeta does) is seen as the best father ever. Goku spends most of Goten's life either dead or off training.

Lol dead dads are such deadbeats.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Len posted:

I consider it really vindicating that Gundam Wing hasn't seen any major revival attempts and even the people who were really into it back in the day recognize it as a part of their adolescence and not some meaningful "thing" we need to catch up on in 2021.

Like I don't want to knock it because I was watching Toonami too and it's all the same flavor of gym sock, but yeah I never liked Wing. Ok the animation and mech suits in Endless Waltz are loving god-tier, but otherwise that whole series could suck a nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mind the walrus posted:

I consider it really vindicating that Gundam Wing hasn't seen any major revival attempts and even the people who were really into it back in the day recognize it as a part of their adolescence and not some meaningful "thing" we need to catch up on in 2021.

Like I don't want to knock it because I was watching Toonami too and it's all the same flavor of gym sock, but yeah I never liked Wing. Ok the animation and mech suits in Endless Waltz are loving god-tier, but otherwise that whole series could suck a nut.

I've never finished Gundam Wing. I caught Endless Waltz at a friend's house but the Gundams were so cool

Then I finally got around to trying to watch Wing and it's robots weren't anywhere near as cool and the plot was teen angst

G Gundam though I caught years later and it's fantastic and fun