Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Fess up. We know you're also Ashens.

No. However, I think you'll find that Ashens and Nostalgia Nerd are the same person. The Retro Future is their son, and RMC is their uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
How does Octavius King fit into all this?

(I'll end this silly derail here)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No.1 Special posted:

Filmjoy - Movies with Mikey - The Vision of Speed Racer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospD-Ej0IPU

I'll always recommend Speed Racer to someone. If they saw it and didn't care for it the first time I'd recommend a second viewing because, for me, that movie didn't click until the second viewing. It's such a phenomenal film that gets better with each viewing. Mikey is right in that the visual style of that film will most likely never appear in a studio film again. There are a few directors out there with enough pull and clout to make something similar but I don't know if they'll go as far as the Wachowskis did.

Releasing it a week after Iron Man? WB's bad decision-making goes back nearly two decades I see.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

New One Hit Wonderland!

"Whoomp! There It Is" by Tag Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQfLFuEb4E4&ab_channel=ToddintheShadows

This was a tremendous episode. It's not one of those 'one hit wonder but the band was big elsewhere' types, Tag Team have exactly the one song that was exactly what was needed to stick around in a subsection of society (being sports fans) and that is the sum total of their catalog that's even remotely worth looking at.

The greatest hits doesn't even have the original version of the song. :allears:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCjmMef8BrE

Unlearning Economics put his third video on how breadtube doesn't always understand economics and economic theories, or at least don't communicate their understanding of it well. Its a pretty educational listen, like his other 2 videos, going into depth on Capitalism, Piketty etc.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one understands economics, especially people who specialize in it

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dawgstar posted:

The Greatest Hits really should've just been Whoomp and a collection of its various remixes and rerecordings. That would've been a hilarious and amazingly self-aware move..

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one understands economics, especially people who specialize in it

Economics, even moreso than math, just felt like a feverdream class with a weird abstract set of nonsense rules that I never got a grip on.
I am so glad I could drop it after one year.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 6, 2021

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

DeafNote posted:

Economics, even moreso than math, just felt like a feverdream class with a weird abstract set of nonsense rules that I never got a grip on.
I am so glad I could drop it after one year.

Higher level accounting courses, more than anything, convinced me that value is arbitrary, money is just a number on a computer and the economy is a hologram.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Higher level accounting courses, more than anything, convinced me that value is arbitrary, money is just a number on a computer and the economy is a hologram.

Even in my accounting 101 course, some of the valuations my teacher is mentioning are so loving insane.

Like accounting for value of "goodwill". Insane.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Trying to apply rules to a system that revolves around loving over others and scamming people as hard as possible seems like a waste of effort to me.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dawgstar posted:

This was a tremendous episode. It's not one of those 'one hit wonder but the band was big elsewhere' types, Tag Team have exactly the one song that was exactly what was needed to stick around in a subsection of society (being sports fans) and that is the sum total of their catalog that's even remotely worth looking at.

I can think of three possible reasons for this:

1) Their original label owns the recording and wants a stupid cut of the money for placement on the compilation
2) This is the best way they can think of to make sure all two of their die hard new fans buy two of their albums, not just one
3) This was a performance art project gone wrong all along.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Hell sometimes original (clean) recordings just get lost to time.
Allthough I wouldn't be surprised if people in charge just thought the original version didnt sound good enough anymore.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

Even in my accounting 101 course, some of the valuations my teacher is mentioning are so loving insane.

https://www.freshbooks.com/hub/accounting/calculate-goodwill

quote:

What Is Goodwill?
Goodwill is the premium that is paid during the acquisition of a business.

If a business is purchased for more than its book value, the acquiring business is paying for intangible items such as brand recognition, skilled labor, customer loyalty etc.

It's the intangible part of a business' worth. Doesn't seem that insane to me, tbh :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the problem is economics try and value the subjective.

If good will is a thing then a stable model is impossible

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

It's the intangible part of a business' worth. Doesn't seem that insane to me, tbh :shrug:

If it's intangible, how does it have a value?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s ultimately economics biggest issue. It needs predictability to create a model but that doesn’t happen.

You can argue you can guess the market is going to be irrational in consistent ways but no models really do that

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Archer666 posted:

https://www.freshbooks.com/hub/accounting/calculate-goodwill

I fully understand, it's just telling that the common example for brand goodwill is a brand like Coke. How do you measure the "goodwill" for the brand of a specialty hot air balloon manufacturer? It's mostly guesswork and opinion.

Which is fine, but you can't have that and then pretend that the financial arts are mathematic and objective.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 6, 2021

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Goodwill seemes like the busniess of buying an influcer ad.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Famethrowa posted:

I fully understand, it's just telling that the common example for brand goodwill is a brand like Coke. How do you measure the "goodwill" for the brand of a specialty hot air balloon manufacturer? It's mostly guesswork and opinion.

Which is fine, but you can't have that and then pretend that the financial arts are mathematic and objective.

For a business it's generally used after it changes hands - It's a representation that, in financial terms, someone else made the place popular and that is providing some initial value to the business when it changes hands and it depreciates over time as your own quality of work is responsible for people still showing up.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Libluini posted:

If it's intangible, how does it have a value?

You can derive a certain value off of the things that page mentions, for example. A business that has a high customer royalty and retention is worth more than a similar sized business that has less of that, because it has a higher chance of generating a steady income. A business that has better worth of mouth has a higher chance of attracting new customers compared to a similar business that's scoring 1 stars on amazon, because of the same reason.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s ultimately economics biggest issue. It needs predictability to create a model but that doesn’t happen.

You can argue you can guess the market is going to be irrational in consistent ways but no models really do that

From what I recall reading up on economics, you can set some parameters based on the predictability of humans and work with that but nothing really solid. I don't think you can make a model that fully predicts how the economy's gonna roll, like you said.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, you measure the goodwill by how much someone paid for it. So if someone pays $2 million extra then there was $2 million of goodwill. Was there more and they got a good deal? Was there less and it was a bad deal? Who knows :). Economics! In fairness, the people worth their salt note that predictions are mostly worthless as hard numbers.

I've got a (worthless and mostly unused) Econ degree and the really bad thing is that so little of 100-level stuff is applicable beyond the barest bones. The next 3 years of it are all about understanding the billion ways that it doesn't work and then applying it to real-world stuff. Smarter people then me have raised the point that it's probably worse to teach 1 year and let people go than to teach none of it. Once you get into later level stuff it's a lot about allocating resources, sometimes some logistics stuff, etc. I had a genuinely interesting course about the Economics of Transportation and a lot of it was mapping out highway flows and discussing the problem of intersections and temporary rushes and the pros and cons of different policy options.

I'll have to save the video to listen to later. I do appreciate somebody talking a little theory. I feel slightly bad when Econ gets dismissed just because all of the public pundits talking about it suck or push dumb centrist or right-wing points.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 6, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I had a genuinely interesting course about the Economics of Transportation and a lot of it was mapping out highway flows and discussing the problem of intersections and temporary rushes and the pros and cons of different policy options.

I feel like the devs of SimCity 4 could really have used that one :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cities Skylines too, that game is one part city management and three parts trying to unfuck your traffic once your city reaches an appreciable size. Altough a lot of that is caused by industrial truck traffic, since apparently none of the devs even bothered to look into industrial supply chain logistics and just assumed trucks are used for every leg of transportation from extraction to consumer use, even for things like oil.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

stillvisions posted:

I can think of three possible reasons for this:

1) Their original label owns the recording and wants a stupid cut of the money for placement on the compilation
2) This is the best way they can think of to make sure all two of their die hard new fans buy two of their albums, not just one
3) This was a performance art project gone wrong all along.

Too be fair, if you bought like any soundtrack at all that year you probably got the song on it. I know I got it off the Mighty Ducks 2 soundtrack.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Famethrowa posted:

I can understand things like goodwill. Concepts like "trustworthiness" and "customer satisfaction" do no physically exist. There is not a single atom of PR in the universe, but these are things that do have value. I meant more accounting concepts like depreciation. Where you arbitrarily decide that a piece of equipment no longer has monetary worth after 5 years and so you stop counting it as an asset even if your company ends up using it for 500 years and it therefore provided value that whole time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Depreciation just recognises the fact that you can't sell something you've been using for the same monetary amount that you bought it for, and past a certain point you might not be able to sell it at all. It's not a financial asset if it can't be sold to meet the business' financial obligations regardless of what its concrete value is.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ghostlight posted:

Depreciation just recognises the fact that you can't sell something you've been using for the same monetary amount that you bought it for, and past a certain point you might not be able to sell it at all. It's not a financial asset if it can't be sold to meet the business' financial obligations regardless of what its concrete value is.

Well yeah the concept of depreciation is very simple. The methods are the confusing part.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Turns out that Dragon Quest and the Legend of Zelda had more in common than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvhmljqyDms

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

Turns out that Dragon Quest and the Legend of Zelda had more in common than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvhmljqyDms

Until dragon quest XI decided to go crazy the only games that were explicitly related to one another were the first like three, and 4, 5 and 6 as individual trilogies. Though there were always a ton of little hints and references that were, of course, hotly debated by fans as to whether they meant anything or not for years. But generally I'd take any kind of fan theorizing about timelines with a massive grain of salt.

More importantly, however, I'd like to state that the sponsor, Square's Dragon Quest Tact is one of the worst mobile games I've played in literal years and it uses business models straight out of bad bamco mobile games from a decade ago that everyone had hoped would never see the light of day again.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

Yeah, José gets into that in the video.
Sarah Z made a video on Twillight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4QEFLhlh-Y
I love to see how she's evolved as a creator. She doesn't seem to emulate any person in particular, but is just doing her own thing. I especially like her small, straight face "might miss it" jokes like calling The Lighthouse slice of life.
So I finally got around to watching this and I have to say calling the Lighthouse a slice-of-life movie is a powerful joke to drop without drawing any attention to it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jamie Faith posted:

New One Hit Wonderland!

"Whoomp! There It Is" by Tag Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQfLFuEb4E4&ab_channel=ToddintheShadows

I know this is about his previous video but I think Todd broke his record time from saying something to that something being proven wrong when he made a Morgan Wallen song his top track of the year

He ought to go back to using his wrongness powers for good, like when he said Bruno Mars and The Weeknd weren’t very good and then they went out and got awesome

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I know this is about his previous video but I think Todd broke his record time from saying something to that something being proven wrong when he made a Morgan Wallen song his top track of the year

He ought to go back to using his wrongness powers for good, like when he said Bruno Mars and The Weeknd weren’t very good and then they went out and got awesome

Have you considered that maybe he isn't wrong, but instead all those guys are watching his videos, and go do the opposite just out of spite?

He could definitely make a killing on covering lovely musicians, though. Think about it: We pay him to cover someone who sucks rear end, and that one then goes gently caress you, Todd! :mad: and becomes good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

More importantly, however, I'd like to state that the sponsor, Square's Dragon Quest Tact is one of the worst mobile games I've played in literal years and it uses business models straight out of bad bamco mobile games from a decade ago that everyone had hoped would never see the light of day again.

Yeah, I had no interest in mobile games at all personally and from the evaluations I was getting of it secondhand from the DQ thread in Games, it was somehow a bad one despite how many other previous games had been made.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

I'll never forget the one prediction he got right. When he was reviewing "Fight Song" he said "If this is your fight song...YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE THE FIGHT"

Cue Hillary Clinton playing it at one of her rallies later :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're not following Drawfee yet, you should be. I've been binging them to raise my spirits after a horrendous week and they are really doing that job wonderfully. I tend to put them on 1.25x or 1.5x speed, still mostly works fine. It's a group of artists who are given criteria to fill and they draw something in that style or whatever. One Piece character in the style of Mike Mignola, random shotgun of characters and given 30 seconds to draw each, etc. They're also just generally exceptionally good at playing off each other. Some choice videos I've watched so far:

drawing popular characters without looking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc8UxLtdmeY&hd=1

30 second cartoon/whatever character challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkbbKoAGcHc&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXmq_JQD2Ic&hd=1

the blind drawing one is killing me.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're not following Drawfee yet, you should be. I've been binging them to raise my spirits after a horrendous week and they are really doing that job wonderfully. I tend to put them on 1.25x or 1.5x speed, still mostly works fine. It's a group of artists who are given criteria to fill and they draw something in that style or whatever. One Piece character in the style of Mike Mignola, random shotgun of characters and given 30 seconds to draw each, etc. They're also just generally exceptionally good at playing off each other. Some choice videos I've watched so far:

drawing popular characters without looking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc8UxLtdmeY&hd=1

30 second cartoon/whatever character challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkbbKoAGcHc&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXmq_JQD2Ic&hd=1

the blind drawing one is killing me.

:yeah: I just started watching them the other day.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
What really sets Drawfee apart as a feel-good show is how all four of them are clearly fans of each other's work. You can especially see it in the speed drawing episodes where they all get a chance to really flex their skill and talk about process and stuff but every episode is a few talented friends genuinely having a good time together.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Grunch Worldflower posted:

What really sets Drawfee apart as a feel-good show is how all four of them are clearly fans of each other's work. You can especially see it in the speed drawing episodes where they all get a chance to really flex their skill and talk about process and stuff but every episode is a few talented friends genuinely having a good time together.

I watch them with a friend of mine and there's one artist on there who we were like "I can't shake it but their style seems super familiar..." And then in one episode they draw a handsome lion man and at the same time we linked one another the gay tumblr we recognized the art from. That was fun.

Anyway my favorite drawfee episodes are still the pokemon ones and I love that Spheal still shows up on the top page for google results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I've found them through this video, and yeah, they are a lot of fun to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CHV5tFRmrs