Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was planning on attending this one live... long ago, before the Umbral Calamity... wanted to be in a room like this for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2lcESDSzE

drat these people got me so hyped for cloaked catgirl and cloaked fortress of solitutde guy, i just wish i knew why or who they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wuggles posted:

Insect Glaive is spin 2 win

literally

R2 + X + Triangle to spin attack, mount the monster, and win

Horn too good to switch imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

drat these people got me so hyped for cloaked catgirl and cloaked fortress of solitutde guy, i just wish i knew why or who they were
time to bring yshtola into your heart

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Played some mario kart with my 3 yo.

Its dumb how item usage is only on the shoulder button she cant reach without changing grip. Should mirror it on y.

She loves holding x the whole time to see the villager girls face tho.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

holy poo poo, the game and story didn't hook me yet, but this sounds pretty closer to the only thing i thought anyone ever wanted from these goddamn persistent world games. hard to imagine it working with the current mechanics ive seen but i think i gotta try

Real hurthling! posted:

Played some mario kart with my 3 yo.

Its dumb how item usage is only on the shoulder button she cant reach without changing grip. Should mirror it on y.

She loves holding x the whole time to see the villager girls face tho.

This is adorable. I love how kids priorities go with stuff like that, arbitrary interest over function. I used to wear my underwear backwards so i could see the ninja turtles better.

now i dont have to, anyone can buy a tattoo machine.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 6, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
whops forum got weird for a sec doubleposted

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

holy poo poo, the game and story didn't hook me yet, but this sounds pretty closer to the only thing i thought anyone ever wanted from these goddamn persistent world games. hard to imagine it working with the current mechanics ive seen but i think i gotta try
i wouldn't get my hopes up too much, its probably not going to be something that you can spend the majority of your time on. ff14 has a lot of side content and they can be pretty good time sinks but as good as like the chocobo racing mingame is or the current gardening system, you can't really say "gently caress the story i'm a chocobo breeder now". especially depending on how gated it is, when they were talking about this like a year ago they were referring to it as the "minion farm" as a side game to play with the otherwise decorative minions you collect elsewhere in the game (because the last time they tried to do something with minions it went over Extremely Poorly)

to compare it to another ff14 minigame, probably the majority of triple triad cards in the game now you can only collect by advancing the story to get to the npcs that have them or the dungeons they drop from. minions are the same deal mostly

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
https://twitter.com/flowerrhythmrmx/status/1358115902340882438?s=21

Just a couple of goon pals carving up monsters after slaying them in an arena

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

i wouldn't get my hopes up too much, its probably not going to be something that you can spend the majority of your time on. ff14 has a lot of side content and they can be pretty good time sinks but as good as like the chocobo racing mingame is or the current gardening system, you can't really say "gently caress the story i'm a chocobo breeder now". especially depending on how gated it is, when they were talking about this like a year ago they were referring to it as the "minion farm" as a side game to play with the otherwise decorative minions you collect elsewhere in the game (because the last time they tried to do something with minions it went over Extremely Poorly)

to compare it to another ff14 minigame, probably the majority of triple triad cards in the game now you can only collect by advancing the story to get to the npcs that have them or the dungeons they drop from. minions are the same deal mostly

thank you for popping my balloon, sincerely. got a festering mmo fantasy ever since the promises of sw galaxies in ancient times and the world drifts ever always farther from it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

wings are so good to make at home and i just bought some gochujang on a whim last shopping trip, gonna have to try these out when i buy some maple

I don't think I posted the video here but this is the method I followed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqg8d9N6Lo

My final recipe was something like this, since it doesn't come into contact with raw meat at any time you can taste and modify pretty easily. This was for 1.25 pounds of wings

4-6 tablespoons of gochujang
1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup (honey or even just granulated sugar would be fine)
handful of minced pickled jalapeno slices, I also included about a tablespoon of the juice, could sub with vinegar
1 tablespoon of soy sauce (the wings were already dry brined but I thought it could help lol)

dash of white pepper to deepen flavor (could sub with black pepper)
dash of gochugaru (korean red pepper powder) for color (could sub with paprika) this is what made the sauce/wings really red, it's also slightly hotter than gochujang alone but that might be psychological
minced garlic, minced ginger (thanks to whoever suggested the latter)

Add just enough boiling water to be able to whisk this all together, gochujang is very thick at room temperature

That's for the first toss when it goes back in the oven to reduce the glaze. Added 2 tablespoons of lime juice and minced basil to the sauce, and after the wings came out of the oven I gave them a final toss

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

thank you for popping my balloon, sincerely. got a festering mmo fantasy ever since the promises of sw galaxies in ancient times and the world drifts ever always farther from it
its extremely not that kind of mmo. even the most experimental sandbox stuff in ff14 is totally gated by story progress and stuff you mainly do in service of having a cool weapon to hold while you're playing the Real Game

the kind of thing that swg was these days is probably best represented by something like eco https://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/Eco/

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Well poo poo, Eco looks interesting. Has anyone here played it?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I'd check the negative reviews on Steam, the top few are very detailed and go into some justified-sounding explanations of pacing and gameplay issues that the game has. I thought it all sounded iffy enough that the reviews convinced me not to buy the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I got it in the steam sale and played for a week or two, but I fell extremely far behind and was destroyed by capitalism

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Barret missing a hand and he just has a gun prosthetic in place of it or is it more like Mega Man or Samus Aran where it's just a thing he puts over his hand?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Is Barret missing a hand and he just has a gun prosthetic in place of it or is it more like Mega Man or Samus Aran where it's just a thing he puts over his hand?

Missing hand

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Avalanche occupied Corel on May 8, 0003. Barret helped the Turks sneak into the mako reactor to reclaim it (not knowing Avalanche at the time, and not knowing he would join them later). In retaliation against Avalanche, Shinra destroyed the reactor and burned down Corel.[10] In the chaos, Barret and Dyne returned to the town and were gunned down by Shinra troops, causing Dyne to fall off a cliff while Barret narrowly grabbed his hand. Scarlet shot their hands, and Dyne fell to his apparent doom, and Barret was left severely injured.[11]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Barret absolutely has a gatling gun glued to his arm.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
barret owns and probably has the best overall glow up of everyone in the remake

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Water Temple is good in the 3DS version because the only problem with the water temple was how annoying it is to switch your boots.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Forest Temple is the real stinker

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wait are Avalanche an actual organization? I thought was just barret and his three buddies

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks, I never played ff7 past the fort minigame

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Wait are Avalanche an actual organization? I thought was just barret and his three buddies

at least in 7R, they emphasize that that's just one cell of avalanche

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Looper posted:

barret owns and probably has the best overall glow up of everyone in the remake

the single best thing in the game is barret singing the victory music after battles

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cardiovorax posted:

Why does Nanaki look like a little red horse?

Probably the same reason Cloud is wearing plate armor.

Sprite art is hard and its easier to re-color something a Square artist already did than make wholesale new art.

Jay Rust posted:

In FF7 its just the name that Barret's team uses for themselves, although including wedge and crew they're large enough to count as an 'actual organization' and they are effective at fighting Shinra so that makes them a terrorist org worth having a name.

But in FF7R as mentioned, its stated that Barret's team is just one small cell of Avalanche and its a bigger op across the planet with differing ideas on how best to go about things.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

depends on what ff7 you're playing, and whatever is convenient to the plot at any given time. og ff7, they don't really get into it other than to say barret's avalanche isn't the original avalanche. before crisis expands on some lorebook stuff that didn't make it into the original game, where avalanche is pretty much enviro-isis and tries to wipe out humanity to save the planet, and barret started his group independently after getting into planetology. in remake, you run into an avalanche army so who the gently caress knows what's happening in that game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think there was also an avalanche in the snowboarding minigame but I think they're a separate organisation

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I posted the video here but this is the method I followed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqg8d9N6Lo

My final recipe was something like this, since it doesn't come into contact with raw meat at any time you can taste and modify pretty easily. This was for 1.25 pounds of wings

thanks for the link, i was actually scrolling my youtube feeds assuming this recipe was on the uhh babish-sohla channel. whats a dry brine? ive made wings in the past just baking raw frozen wings, then tossing em in hotsauce-garlic-honey-spices-butter mix in a pan. saving link 4 next shop trip. still got a bunch of this chipotle something powder i failed to label but its been a good spicy flavour to toss into anything lately.

homeless snail posted:

its extremely not that kind of mmo. even the most experimental sandbox stuff in ff14 is totally gated by story progress and stuff you mainly do in service of having a cool weapon to hold while you're playing the Real Game

the kind of thing that swg was these days is probably best represented by something like eco https://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/Eco/

Yeah, I shoulda remember I've already kind of been on this train, job system sounds amazing from the outside, housing system sounds amazing form the outside, but when I played I was mostly feeling old school mmo and i was still like 60 hours away from the good story starting i think. I'm also kind of a sucker for these tricks, people describing how lovely Warlords of Draenor was got me to try WoW after not touching it since pre-expansion vanilla. The lovely bases you got in WoD just sound loving dope when described because it's like this tantalizing thing the game has always kept from you, a sense of ownership, effect, and place in the world. Could also be wrong and most people are fine being on a stupid loot treadmill with 3 or 4 cool boss fights per expansion as long as they get technically new graphics to accompany it.

This eco game sounds dope, adding it to wishlist for sure. Hope it finishes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In the original ff7 it was stylized as AVALANCHE, sadly there’s no codex explaining what the letters stand for

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you think Miranda's butt is a scandal wait until yuffies shorts

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm gonna try to get back into eco again when the server I was playing on resets, everything about that game is absurd in a kinda disgusting way. like, you level up faster depending on the quality of your diet and the furnishings in your house meaning people that are rich enough to afford a balanced diet and a sick house level up faster giving them first access to stuff that makes them even richer. when the game starts you have a primitive barter system where you trade stuff based on favors to individual players, but then ultimately one person dominates the market to the point that everyone starts trading in that player's credit. until someone invents the Concept Of Currency, then you can start minting currency out of any material in the game, and the only thing that can stop someone else with a stockpile of that material from also inventing currency and inflating the economy is if the player government enacts a law that makes it illegal. the most recent update just added a Landlord System

i saw two people have the most insane fight in a video game ive seen in a long time, over right of way on a road crossing one guy's property, until one of them gave away all his belongings and ragequit the server. great game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Here is my TED talk on "forest temple sucks":

First room: the very first place in the entire game where you get a small key. The camera angle and enemies lure your sight forwards to the wolfos and the door. If you don't look to the right and see the climbable vines, you miss the first small key and get stuck at a locked door halfway through the dungeon. To be honest, this setup isn't terrible in a vacuum, but it's an awful introduction to the small key system.
Rear room: fight vs two stalfos. Stalfos kind of suck and I think this is the very first time you see them. Probably should have started you off with a single Stalfos. Probably a lot of kids died in this room. Welcome to being an adult.
Courtyard: this area is fine. No complaints.
Block pushing room: Pushing blocks is so loving slow, and even if you make no mistakes, you're pushing these blocks for an interminable period of time. Even with the blocks already pushed, it's kind of annoying to climb through the room because it's just big and long and empty, and you're forced to do so twice.
First twisty room: This part is fine. Sets up a nice "aha!" moment as you try vainly to hookshot the eye switch and equip your child-only slingshot. When you do come back here with the bow, you get the boss key and a small key, and then have to climb back up the loving block push room again because it dumps you out down there.
Red/blue poe rooms: These rooms aren't like, terrible, but why is it literally duplicated. Not fun to do twice back to back.
Stalfos room: I don't think anybody enjoys giant pits that drop you at the beginning of the dungeon and force you to walk back. Plus in your second-ever tussle with Stalfos, you're doing it first with a giant pit in the middle, and then again with a timer. Also this room lags like whoa, even on VC.
Second twisty room: I hope you got the key in the first room or you're stuck, fucker. You also need to have gone back for the key in the first twisty hallway, so if you don't backtrack instantly for that you have a shitton of walking in your future.
Frozen eye switch room: This room is fine
Green poe room: Ah yes, more slow-rear end block pushing, to solve a "puzzle" a toddler could solve in their sleep. Except there's a timer so you might have to start over. Followed by the same poe fight you've done twice already. gently caress this room.
Main room redux: The purple poe is here now, and it loving sucks. Just a complete waste of your time. I don't think it can even hurt you. Why does this enemy take five hits. Why does it even exist.
Basement: More pushing animations. This room has a kind of cool idea, where you change the shape of the room you're in, but it can be completely brute forced and if, by complete chance, your first push is clockwise instead of counterclockwise, you have to push the thing three times as much lol. And it's not really like you can reason your way into the solution without brute force. So it's just a room where you aimlessly push a block. Also the seams don't line up and you can see into out of bounds lol.
Phantom Ganon: You will die here. It's not a terrible boss but it's loving rude wakeup.

Just do this instead and save yourself the hassle, honestly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkYfnNNDQ8

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

homeless snail posted:

i'm gonna try to get back into eco again when the server I was playing on resets, everything about that game is absurd in a kinda disgusting way. like, you level up faster depending on the quality of your diet and the furnishings in your house meaning people that are rich enough to afford a balanced diet and a sick house level up faster giving them first access to stuff that makes them even richer. when the game starts you have a primitive barter system where you trade stuff based on favors to individual players, but then ultimately one person dominates the market to the point that everyone starts trading in that player's credit. until someone invents the Concept Of Currency, then you can start minting currency out of any material in the game, and the only thing that can stop someone else with a stockpile of that material from also inventing currency and inflating the economy is if the player government enacts a law that makes it illegal. the most recent update just added a Landlord System

i saw two people have the most insane fight in a video game ive seen in a long time, over right of way on a road crossing one guy's property, until one of them gave away all his belongings and ragequit the server. great game

this sounds like one of those games that's awesome to read about and i'd never want to actually touch.

also just thinking about this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You'll have to come back to forest temple eventually for the bow if you skip it like that, but I think you can make it all the way until you realize you can't actually fire your light arrows at ganondorf lol

Water Temple you need to do some clever shenanigans to skip two of the small keys but it isn't that bad. Spirit temple you have to take advantage of the fact that fire can't hurt you if you're already on fire to skip the bow. Maybe there's something in the trials too idk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

thanks for the link, i was actually scrolling my youtube feeds assuming this recipe was on the uhh babish-sohla channel. whats a dry brine? ive made wings in the past just baking raw frozen wings, then tossing em in hotsauce-garlic-honey-spices-butter mix in a pan. saving link 4 next shop trip. still got a bunch of this chipotle something powder i failed to label but its been a good spicy flavour to toss into anything lately.

Dry brining is essentially pre-salting meat. To dry brine something, you sprinkle salt all over the outside of it and then leave it on a rack uncovered in the fridge for a while (usually like 12-24 hours, sometimes longer for like a whole chicken or turkey or something). You can often go longer but that's the amount of time to get some effect out of it.

What happens is the salt draws moisture out of the meat, which dissolves the salt and then gets re-absorbed. Meanwhile, the outside dries out, helping you get crispier skin or a nice brown crust on something like a steak.

Here's an article about it: https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/12/how-to-dry-brine.html

I prefer dry brining to regular (wet) brining a lot. It adds flavor to meat and improves its texture without just adding a bunch of water like regular brines do.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

somebody flipped their truck on the highway (which was a collaborative public works project funded by the government because eco is a game where the ability to trade your labor is a real mechanic) and everyone stopped what they were doing to come help unload the truck and clear the road. amazing scenario, completely fueled by self interest because they needed the road to get to the market and everyone in eco is a libertarian

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah this sounds like day z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

want to play this now