Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

V2 has the headline "The Danish Peoples Party want more AI in the public sector »There's huge room for improvements«".
I read it as "The Danish Peoples Party want companies outside of Danish borders to have even more access to PII »There's huge room in our wallets«.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BonHair posted:

It's kinda gross calling it the British variant, as if it was somehow caused by the (admittedly terrible) British government. And it's even worse with the South African one, which lends itself to racism easily. Remember how we don't call it the Chinese virus?

Calling it the British virus has made a lot of the kind of British people who were previously calling it the Chinese virus very angry though, and that's quite funny.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

It's kinda gross calling it the British variant, as if it was somehow caused by the (admittedly terrible) British government. And it's even worse with the South African one, which lends itself to racism easily. Remember how we don't call it the Chinese virus?

You think the public would really benefit more from calling them SARS CoV 2 B.1.1.7, B.1.351 (501Y.V2) and B.1.1.28?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Well Corona/Covid is easy to remember, but what are we supposed to call the different strains now that they're out there to tell them apart, Covid Mark II, Mark III... etc. it's gonna get messy fast.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

V2 has the headline "The Danish Peoples Party want more AI in the public sector »There's huge room for improvements«".
I read it as "The Danish Peoples Party want companies outside of Danish borders to have even more access to PII »There's huge room in our wallets«.

Can't read the article, but the algorithm immediately did a racism when they applied it to the benefits system, so it makes sense that DF wants more of that.

Also Dennis Flydtkjær was a huge coward even before he became an MP. I once owned him so thoroughly that he left a youth politics board in a huff and had the link removed from DFU's site.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Can't read the article, but the algorithm immediately did a racism when they applied it to the benefits system, so it makes sense that DF wants more of that.

Also Dennis Flydtkjær was a huge coward even before he became an MP. I once owned him so thoroughly that he left a youth politics board in a huff and had the link removed from DFU's site.
Oh right, V2 has started arbitrarily requiring some users visiting links to login. orz

Also, loving :laffo: at being owned that hard.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
It's hard not to laugh at several generations of Tough Military Men melting down about Trine Bramsen (Danish defense minister) using another nomenclature for the role of chief of defense than they would prefer.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/tidligere-forsvarschefer-derfor-nedgoer-bramsen-embedet-og-saetter-general-skakmat

I know that there's a little more to it than that, and some of this unhappiness is because some people in the military feel Bramsen is censoring them, but look at this:

Previous chief of defense, In reference to being called the wrong title posted:

Hvad driver soldater, der dagen efter de har mistet to kammerater i krig, til at gå ud af den samme port og på patrulje i samme område[...] Men skal man derud, hvor man med livet som indsats løser ting, så betyder værdier meget. Og de bæres i det sprog, du bruger

This would fit in perfectly in E/N.

There is also definitely nothing wrong with the army trying to dictate terms to the politician nominally in charge of them.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

On the other hand Bramsen is both extremely dumb and bad, so it's impossible to tell if the hired killers are in the wrong or not.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Big baby posted:

Jeg ville heller ikke drage i krig for Miljøstyrelsen
Maybe she's got a point. Just make everything sound bureaucratic, and none of our soldiers will want to go murder people in the Middle East.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Soldatlegestyrelsen sounds like an excellent thing to call it. :colbert:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Oops, NB person hung out with an active nazi. Funny how that keeps happening. Probably a coincidence.

https://redox.dk/nyheder/nye-borgerlige-profil-poserede-med-naziveteran/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So she was there by herself, or? :v:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

So she was there by herself, or? :v:

Haha, nah, just an MP doing a selfie with a veteran of several neo-nazi orgs, no biggie. Nothing will come of it, just like Pernille Bendixen (DF) who invited Fjordman to a New Year's dinner. It's incredible how quick nazism was normalised after DF set the course.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Saw a paper in the shop today claiming that Oljefondet indirectly owns over 700 million kroner worth of Bitcoin and is considering buying more, although the most recent article a very quick search brings up is this one: https://www.dn.no/innlegg/bitcoin/kryptovaluta/blokkjedeteknologi/innlegg-oljefondet-kan-ikke-se-bort-fra-bitcoin/2-1-942455

Great to see money from the most world's environmentally damaging industry invested in the world's most environmentally damaging "currency" I suppose.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A confluence of bad ideas.
I've just decided that confluence is a good collective noun for bad ideas.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A new Co-worker is casually dropping Jordan Peterson quotes at lunch and has some very strong opinions on the wage gap and the priorities of the "new left".

Do I just straight up tell him to stop or do I ignore it forever?

At the office I'm pretty well known as strongly left leaning by everyone else. I'm currently waiting for his next right wing rant before I calmly tell him that I'm so left that I make Stalin look like Carl Bildt and that further anti feminist rants are going to jeopardize our working relationship.

We also have a skewed power dynamic where he's an intern on a 6 month probationary period and I'm training him for his future position at the company.

I'm not going to sabotage his chance at a tillsvidareanställning if he does a good job over all but I feel that I need to draw this line in the sand sooner rather than later.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Katt posted:

A new Co-worker is casually dropping Jordan Peterson quotes at lunch and has some very strong opinions on the wage gap and the priorities of the "new left".

At the office I'm pretty well known as strongly left leaning by everyone else. I'm currently waiting for his next right wing rant before I calmly tell him that I'm so left that I make Stalin look like Carl Bildt and that further anti feminist rants are going to jeopardize our working relationship.

We also have a skewed power dynamic where he's an intern on a 6 month probationary period and I'm training him for his future position at the company.

I'm not going to sabotage his chance at a tillsvidareanställning if he does a good job over all but I feel that I need to draw this line in the sand sooner rather than later.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Katt posted:

Maybe I'm talking out of my rear end but in my experience, people who get stuck up on this right wing dark web poo poo are eagerly fantasizing about getting into "debates" so avoid that at all costs. A very generic "I'm not interested in this internet arguing stuff" would probably be enough. You could say that the Jordan Peterson-esque views are so indefensible that they shouldn't be ignored, but I personally believe people like this to be completely lost souls unless they find a way out on their own.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mr. Sickos posted:

Maybe I'm talking out of my rear end but in my experience, people who get stuck up on this right wing dark web poo poo are eagerly fantasizing about getting into "debates" so avoid that at all costs. A very generic "I'm not interested in this internet arguing stuff" would probably be enough. You could say that the Jordan Peterson-esque views are so indefensible that they shouldn't be ignored, but I personally believe people like this to be completely lost souls unless they find a way out on their own.

There's not going to be any debates but I don't want to have to sit through his rants either so I figured I'd mark down that he is in fact not among allies with this BS.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had a classmate today joke about the dangers of screen sharing and then proceeding to share his YouTube window which featured a Ben Shapiro subscription :v:

Whatever, he’s still a decent guy by all accounts

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Katt posted:

You need to tell him enough, quit it, you don’t care, sooner rather than later. Come off as firm but as apolitical as you can. Give him the warning shot and if he keeps going, hammer (and/or sickle) down oh him loving off with that garbage.

also god my boyfriend’s friend’s boyfriend is all over with Jorp and unironic alpha/beta poo poo. He once tried to reply guy me over a reductress share I posted and I was like “buddy this satire, do not fight a jpg.”

I was afraid for a bit “gently caress this dude is going to rub off on my sosse welder boyfriend” but thankfully, my boyfriend finds the guy genuinely loving weird, and has found him to be loving weird since they met.

Now, to convince said sosse boyfriend that he’s further left than he thinks he is. He’s baffled why his fellow blue collar colleagues are more and more pro-SD and don’t stan fellow welder Steffe. In all honesty it’s kind of endearing?

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There are some leftist Jorp fans. A guy i used to work someone who claimed to vote communist and was a big fan. For a few months he even tried do a all red meat diet. So i would`nt be so quick to make assumption about their politics.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The worst thing about these people is that they make me appreciate Mette Frederiksen. I can't overstate how much concentrated succ it requires to lose out in that comparison.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

The worst thing about these people is that they make me appreciate Mette Frederiksen. I can't overstate how much concentrated succ it requires to lose out in that comparison.
Yeah, my experience during the pandemic has basically been going from

"gently caress, why do we have such a lovely politician at the helm, we're gonna get needlessly hosed?"

to

"poo poo, she's the best realistic option."

Now if she could just get in that tank like you've been suggesting.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, my experience during the pandemic has basically been going from

"gently caress, why do we have such a lovely politician at the helm, we're gonna get needlessly hosed?"

to

"poo poo, she's the best realistic option."

Now if she could just get in that tank like you've been suggesting.

Mette excessive force be with you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Katt posted:

Katt posted:

I'm not going to sabotage his chance at a tillsvidareanställning
lol I would. I don't want that toxic poo poo on my team

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 12, 2021

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

loving someone out of a job for political disagreement is a good way to make an enemy for life, imo just reaching an understanding that you're not interested in talking about this stuff at work should be fine

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

loving someone out of a job for political disagreement is a good way to make an enemy for life

V. Illych L. posted:

imo just reaching an understanding that you're not interested in talking about this stuff at work should be fine
Yes, let's just agree to not talk about how he hates women and lefties, and they can go on doing a good job together.

e: like gently caress, what does it say about how much you care about women working with you when you tolerate this nonsense.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

That he isnt a piece of poo poo?

loving someone over re: jobs and politics is a good way to cement someones beliefs?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

being het up about jorpeson and the new left does not necessarily equate to serious, committed ideological misogyny, and loving with the dude's livelihood is only going to solidify those attitudes and add a justified feeling of persecution

i've met plenty of ostensible reactionaries over the years whose ideology is really just bog-standard social conservatism with a veneer of internet culture grafted on. in all likelihood the guy is one of those, and if he isn't there will emerge something more specific where he blows up at a female coworker or something to use as a jump-off point for specific sanctions

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wear some cool shades and be like, "Gap this, lobster boy", as you hand him the rejection letter. Watch the thread literally shake itself apart, shattering any hopes of pan-Scandinavian unity.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

lol I would. I don't want that toxic poo poo on my team

evil_bunnY posted:

Yes, let's just agree to not talk about how he hates women and lefties, and they can go on doing a good job together.

lol

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

V. Illych L. posted:

loving someone out of a job for political disagreement is a good way to make an enemy for life, imo just reaching an understanding that you're not interested in talking about this stuff at work should be fine

Most of my office is quite right wing, more conservative so than SD but still. People are also very happy to openly spout conservative talking points. After a few years I learned to just shut off mentally at that point, it's not worth making enemies at work just because they have bad political opinions. You'll know after a while who are open minded enough that it's actually worth talking about political issues with them, and who are just locked in and repeating their facebook feeds.

You don't need to be friends with work place people with stupid opinions, but you'll end up worse off in the end if you actually actively confront them about it unless said opinions are so horrible that the workplace collectively gets offended by them. If you can not act professionally enough, you'll be treated as part of the problem, no matter how morally superior you find your values. If you know that your colleagues think that tax breaks on building pools is more important than keeping homeless shelters up and running, you're not going to magically open their eyes by debating.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 12, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The thread arrived at the correct solution within literally 10 minutes, can't believe you're still discussing it. This is why the modern left never achieves anything.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
If I am interviewing a person and I don't think I would enjoy working with them then they're not a "culture fit". There's certainly people at work who will start saying some pretty dumb poo poo if we're out drinking, me included, but most people know to not start in on the "chaos of the feminine" at work.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

thotsky posted:

If I am interviewing a person and I don't think I would enjoy working with them then they're not a "culture fit". There's certainly people at work who will start saying some pretty dumb poo poo if we're out drinking, me included, but most people know to not start in on the "chaos of the feminine" at work.
Yeah, even using entirely liberal reasoning, if the guy has basically zero filter like this - in a situation where the societal expectation is that you're on your very best behavior - then what are the chances his behavior will result in blowback on the company? Either from being dismissive and disrespectful of women within the workplace, making it harder for the company to retain talent, or towards clients, reducing the amount of business the company gets and damaging its reputation. He doesn't need to go all "I reject you, Dragon of Chaos!!" on someone for them to pick up on his bad attitudes.

On top of that, what about your own reputation within the company? Clearing this dude and then having him be a poo poo employee due to the above will reflect poorly on you.

Anyway, buy him an account here and we can set him straight.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

thotsky posted:

Ok so two things here. With the guy having had an internship for months already this is the correct take. It will eventually spill over, it's a question of when.

But also lol, you don't get a reliable read of a person from 45 minutes of nonsense questions and I really hope you don't bring that notion to recruitment processes. This exact sentiment is why women and anyone with an accent has a harder time getting jobs in a lot of professions. You have no idea if you'll like or hate them once you've gotten to know them. All you're doing is selecting for people who are like you.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, even using entirely liberal reasoning, if the guy has basically zero filter like this - in a situation where the societal expectation is that you're on your very best behavior - then what are the chances his behavior will result in blowback on the company? Either from being dismissive and disrespectful of women within the workplace, making it harder for the company to retain talent, or towards clients, reducing the amount of business the company gets and damaging its reputation. He doesn't need to go all "I reject you, Dragon of Chaos!!" on someone for them to pick up on his bad attitudes.

On top of that, what about your own reputation within the company? Clearing this dude and then having him be a poo poo employee due to the above will reflect poorly on you.

Yes, this.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 12, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Thank you. I have zero interest in working with edgelords, and while I can't (and won't) try to get people fired for their sometimes lovely opinions, if I have a say in a hiring process you can bet your rear end I'll try and get assholes out.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I've also worked with several right wing absolute shitheads. The worst of them, basically ticking all of the boxes about rich kids studying statskundskab with neoliberalism, Jordan Peterson and even a legit attack helicopter joke, is also one of the people I miss the most from that place, because he had a sense of humour about it and knew when to pack it up. In the helicopter instance for example, I treated him as a helicopter (no respect for personal space, knocking, attempts to open), and he quickly caught on and pulled out, all in good fun. The point is that while he definitely belongs in a gulag, he wasn't actually obnoxious about it. It's only when it becomes obnoxious it becomes a problem, having idiots around you is actually good for remembering that the SA socialist echo chamber is not representative of everyone.