Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Stairmaster posted:

also how did scorcese drop the ball so hard with gangs of new york

Irish people are less interesting than Italians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
This Wolves and Sheep and Pigs movie they're running commercials for; what loving studio is this? I can feel furries masturbating to it every time it comes on! :gonk:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gringostar posted:

my gf loves cop procedurals but only weird ones like lucifer, elementary, and castle

digging how the only sherlock holmes adaptation of the last few decades to actually follow the tone and structure of the original stories qualifies as weird because thats how distorted the character has become in pop culture

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wheeee posted:

except it is awesome to be in the mafia right up to the end where you end up dead or in jail

Its like Starship Troopers- fascism is cool and fun right until you personally get eviscerated by alien spiders

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just finished misbehavior and that sure was a meets expectation sort of movie were presented with two competing theories of woke media branding and the only reference to labor organizing was a dismissive one early on suggesting its a waste of time

the only real convincing scene wasnt even a woke one its the one where keira knightleys mom calls her an ungrateful little poo poo for assuming that she hated being a mom because dad was always off having cool adventures

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Looks like they're getting thr writer that did The Watchman Tv show to write Blade

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

KomradeX posted:

Looks like they're getting thr writer that did The Watchman Tv show to write Blade

:(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Some Guy TT posted:

digging how the only sherlock holmes adaptation of the last few decades to actually follow the tone and structure of the original stories qualifies as weird because thats how distorted the character has become in pop culture

there's also that will Ferrell and John c Reilly version that came out and immediately got roasted by everyone who saw it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fluoride Jones posted:

Irish people are less interesting than Italians

this is extremely true

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Tubgoat posted:

This Wolves and Sheep and Pigs movie they're running commercials for; what loving studio is this? I can feel furries masturbating to it every time it comes on! :gonk:

just tell them that makes you uncomfortable and ask them to leave

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

God Hole posted:

just tell them that makes you uncomfortable and ask them to leave

Lol, if movie studios cared, this never would have happened. I swear to loving god, they picked artists based on their DeviantArt profiles.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I saw the first two Evangelion Rebuild movies. Basically just longform ads for canned coffee imo. The psychedelic rainbow effects were a nice touch though

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Why not? I'm a joker. I make death into a game for people like you to get excited about. I watched you tonight. You'd love making it possible, wouldn't you? You'd love pressing that button. What a thrill that would be, knowing you have to die to have the power to take everyone else with you. The mob of them with their plans, their little hopes, born to be murdered. Turning away from it, closing their eyes to it, and you could be the one to make it true. Do it to them. But you're afraid, so you look for the thrill someplace else. And who better than a man who isn't afraid?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

love this show

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If HBO wants to do a ripped from the headlines show, have Armando Iannucci make a comedy about Cuomo's handling of the pandemic.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

If HBO wants to do a ripped from the headlines show, have Armando Iannucci make a comedy about Cuomo's handling of the pandemic.

they already had him do a show and it sucked rear end

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Well, he’s 1/2

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is like, the top reviewer on letterboxd

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this nyt film critic is even better

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManohlaDargis/status/1357165888571469825

in any scene where the heroine isnt being a self destructive addict everyone should be asking why isnt the heroine being a self destructive addict

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

this is like, the top reviewer on letterboxd

People who refer to movies as "the text" are pretentious morons.

And I say that as an RTF major.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

this nyt film critic is even better

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManohlaDargis/status/1357165888571469825

in any scene where the heroine isnt being a self destructive addict everyone should be asking why isnt the heroine being a self destructive addict

oh no heaven forbid screenwriters use their characters' traits to drive the narrative

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I have had enough with films that do not represent the temporal realities that women face every day

one second in a film should represent one second of genuine lived experience, not grotesquely contorted until it's narratively useful.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
that's such an especially dumb tweet because, like, if the characters were shown heavy boozing to the point of self-destruction in other scenes, that would by nature change the narrative at a different point than it currently changes. It's an important character point that by its very nature affects the flow of the narrative, so of course it isn't that destructive until it's narratively useful, because the whole point is that once the drinking becomes destructive, the narrative changes

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

also isn't the whole point of tv shows/movies the narrative aka the story, are they supposed to show the MC getting drunk for 45 minutes or something
these are functional alcoholics, key word functional

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that guy from sideways who doesnt read novels because theyre all lies except hes also a book critic

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Oh that was that cruise in space show right? I meant to watch that

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:mediocre:
https://twitter.com/unhinged_adult/status/1358512234331312130?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
who is yung pheeb

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

avenue 5? I dropped that after the first 2 eps but rewatched it recently and it's still boring up until the ending, which is good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The only good living film critic is the New Yorker guy who wrote about how horny Mrs. Incredible make him in Incredibles 2.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

having a character get drunk to show inner turmoil as a lazy plot device is as old as cinema itself

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Away" continuing to have a The Atlantic/New York Times level of portrayal for China:

There's a flashback to the Chinese astronaut, Lu, having been born, except her father is extremely disappointed that his child is a daughter and not a son because One-Child-Policy amirite, and this is played forwards to Lu having a huge hang-up over needing to prove herself to her father even when he's literally already too senile to remember her.

Anyway, there's a supply ship that's supposed to land at Mars ahead of the crew, and this is what's supposed to be carrying all their supplies. Except NASA loses contact with the supply ship and it's assumed that it never made it. This means that the crew is doomed to die of starvation since the ship they're already on doesn't carry enough food and water.

NASA wants them to slingshot around Mars, intercept the second supply ship in mid-space-transit, and use the supplies on it to make the trip home. The Chinese space program administrators want them to land on Mars regardless, just so that they can still make the claim that they've landed on Mars, even if they die on the planet. Lu personally wants to do this also, not only because of the aforementioned need to get validation from her father, but the show also makes it clear that she's been inculcated with a sort of nationalism and sense-of-duty - that they HAVE to land on Mars because she's the one slated to be the first out the door, and that would be a huge win for China that she wants to fulfill.

For the rest of the episode they do a sort of techno-hackery to determine that there's a slim chance that the supply ship is still there even if they can't make direct contact with it, and it's played off as a character building moment for Lu to convince their commander that a slim chance is good enough for them to continue on to Mars, expecting that the supply ship is still there and it will all work out, because she's learned the uniquely American value of "hope".

I don't really hate the show per se (or else why would I keep watching it) but my perception is more towards that Lu keeps being proven right and is the most well-grounded character despite the show insisting that being mission-oriented is supposed to be a character flaw.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

that guy from sideways who doesnt read novels because theyre all lies except hes also a book critic

From all I've seen of book critics I don't see the issue

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm rewatching The Departed like 15 years after it's original release, and man is it a fuckin' hoot watching it now that I'm not a lib-brained teenager.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Idk, I think I'd rather watch Infernal Affairs than the Departed

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Away" continuing to have a The Atlantic/New York Times level of portrayal for China:

There's a flashback to the Chinese astronaut, Lu, having been born, except her father is extremely disappointed that his child is a daughter and not a son because One-Child-Policy amirite, and this is played forwards to Lu having a huge hang-up over needing to prove herself to her father even when he's literally already too senile to remember her.

Anyway, there's a supply ship that's supposed to land at Mars ahead of the crew, and this is what's supposed to be carrying all their supplies. Except NASA loses contact with the supply ship and it's assumed that it never made it. This means that the crew is doomed to die of starvation since the ship they're already on doesn't carry enough food and water.

NASA wants them to slingshot around Mars, intercept the second supply ship in mid-space-transit, and use the supplies on it to make the trip home. The Chinese space program administrators want them to land on Mars regardless, just so that they can still make the claim that they've landed on Mars, even if they die on the planet. Lu personally wants to do this also, not only because of the aforementioned need to get validation from her father, but the show also makes it clear that she's been inculcated with a sort of nationalism and sense-of-duty - that they HAVE to land on Mars because she's the one slated to be the first out the door, and that would be a huge win for China that she wants to fulfill.

For the rest of the episode they do a sort of techno-hackery to determine that there's a slim chance that the supply ship is still there even if they can't make direct contact with it, and it's played off as a character building moment for Lu to convince their commander that a slim chance is good enough for them to continue on to Mars, expecting that the supply ship is still there and it will all work out, because she's learned the uniquely American value of "hope".

I don't really hate the show per se (or else why would I keep watching it) but my perception is more towards that Lu keeps being proven right and is the most well-grounded character despite the show insisting that being mission-oriented is supposed to be a character flaw.

what about the Russian guy with more experience and knowledge than everyone else combined whose character is that he's an rear end in a top hat with poor judgement who drinks too much

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

what about the Russian guy with more experience and knowledge than everyone else combined whose character is that he's an rear end in a top hat with poor judgement who drinks too much

if Misha and Lu had been in charge of the mission they'd have gotten to Mars on time, and under budget

ON TIME, AND UNDER BUDGET!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wheeee posted:

sounds like a well written character to me not realizing on those wacky gimmicks like narrative shifts that all those darn kids these days are into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Idk, I think I'd rather watch Infernal Affairs than the Departed

The departed is pretty good though!