Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Or Scholars. Scholars exist.

...you know, theoretically. Nobody wants to play one or have one on their team anymore, but they're there.

Noo, you never hit Noct when you're playing with a Scholar, your shields don't stack with theirs. Noct is Shields, Diurnal is regens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

Noo, you never hit Noct when you're playing with a Scholar, your shields don't stack with theirs. Noct is Shields, Diurnal is regens.

Yeah, my brain misfired on that one. And the joke doesn't work as well when I point out that it's possible to be an AST on a team with a WHM (well, right now), because... well, people like WHM.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I see quite a few scholar players. I enjoy it more than AST myself. Honestly I think I see more Scholars than ASTs, at least in endgame content.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

ImpAtom posted:

I see quite a few scholar players. I enjoy it more than AST myself. Honestly I think I see more Scholars than ASTs, at least in endgame content.

I play SCH, and yeah I see a lot of WHM, some SCH and everytime are see an AST I almost do a double take.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just realized Zenos’s plan: Fandaniel says he’s recreating the final days, and as we saw in the 6.0 preview Garlemald has been totally destroyed. What happened in the final days? The Ancient Ones sacrificed themselves to bring Zodiark forth, and that’s what Zenos is doing, going so far as to temper people so that they become willing sacrifices.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Yeah I was thinking something along those lines too.

Plan A for Zodiark was to get his unsundered Ascians to perform Rejoinings to return him to his full strength.

That plan ended with Emet-Selch and Elidibus, so what next? Well if he can’t be fixed, maybe Plan B is to remake/resummon him. And to do so you’d want to recreate the conditions of his summoning, the Final Days.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Fandaniel’s going to trigger The Noise in 5.5. That’s where it seems like it’s heading.

Real excited for Radz-At-Han and elephant dudes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

thetoughestbean posted:

Fandaniel’s going to trigger The Noise in 5.5. That’s where it seems like it’s heading.

Real excited for Radz-At-Han and elephant dudes

Yeah if anything Only Fans Daniel wants to break Zodiark, not resummon him.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

god, I'd almost forgotten that the 24 man will be an original scenario and not a collab or reference raid. that's badass

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vitamean posted:

god, I'd almost forgotten that the 24 man will be an original scenario and not a collab or reference raid. that's badass

of the ones that exist only the VA series is original right? I guess if you don't count the bosses themselves as references

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

yeah, I'd expect there'll be at least a few bosses that are callbacks like ozma, but we haven't seen an original scenario since void ark

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Eimi posted:

Yeah if anything Only Fans Daniel wants to break Zodiark, not resummon him.

Could be one of those things where reversing the process requires the same trigger.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
fandaniel restarts the final days, we need to go to zodiark to find a way to use him to fix it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would not assume Fandaniel wants to resurrect Zodiark specifically considering his stated endgame is "I want everything to die." He's probably glad to use Zenos towards that goal but I imagine his ideal outcome is "What if the End of Days didn't get stopped by Zodiark?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The idea that Zenos is going along with it in order to use the end of days to get people to willingly sacrifice themselves to Zodiark, so Zodiark re-emerges and becomes fightable is a cool one though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It looks like people have ideas about what lore question the alliance raid could be answering, and the biggest mystery seems to be: What in Lake Silvertear is so important that it required Midgardsormr to guard it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Waffleman_ posted:

It looks like people have ideas about what lore question the alliance raid could be answering, and the biggest mystery seems to be: What in Lake Silvertear is so important that it required Midgardsormr to guard it?

I'm skeptical of that one being what gets pulled out, just because it feels like the sort of big-deal-thing that they'd reserve for the MSQ.

My pick is Gelmorra, or Amdapor. They've both been just out of the spotlight for years, enough that we've never really learned what their whole deal is, there's still a bunch of questions about them. Hell, Gelmorra is supposed to still be a living and active settlement, and yet we never so much as learn where in the Shroud it is!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Edda Pureheart Chronicles: The Final Chapter

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wonder if the world being set on fire would compel Tiamat to free herself.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Cleretic posted:

I'm skeptical of that one being what gets pulled out, just because it feels like the sort of big-deal-thing that they'd reserve for the MSQ.

My pick is Gelmorra, or Amdapor. They've both been just out of the spotlight for years, enough that we've never really learned what their whole deal is, there's still a bunch of questions about them. Hell, Gelmorra is supposed to still be a living and active settlement, and yet we never so much as learn where in the Shroud it is!

I thought Issom-Har (the big hole in South Shroud) was supposed to be the old Gelmorran residential district, and they were in the process of restoring it until a Palace of the Dead popped out.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Waffleman_ posted:

its midgardsormr's spaceship he came to the source on

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zutaten posted:

I thought Issom-Har (the big hole in South Shroud) was supposed to be the old Gelmorran residential district, and they were in the process of restoring it until a Palace of the Dead popped out.

I'm pretty sure you're right, but it's also not really very helpful for giving us more information. It tells us that Gelmorra is in the south! ...ish, maybe. We don't really know in which direction Gelmorra spread, or when. We can reason they probably didn't spread too far south, because south of PotD is Amdapor and its ruins seem largely undisturbed (or at least, undisturbed by a civilized subterranean civilization).

That's very little information, let's be honest.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its midgardsormr's spaceship he came to the source on

Pretty sure that Middy didn't need a ship.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nah midgar rode a flying saucer ufo and when it flies it has blinking lights and plays the racist ice cream truck song

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the name of that truck? omega.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Now all I'm picturing is Nyancat, except it's Middy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the_steve posted:

Now all I'm picturing is Nyancat, except it's Middy

No wonder omega was so hellbent on blowing him up, imagine someone broadcasting that song into space over the course of a thousand lightyear roadtrip.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
just vibe with it bro, submit to the chill

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I saw Scholar as a support to white mage. White mage is no doubt best at single target heal while scholar is king of topping off. That ninja, that samurai, that dps that is at 80% life and can possibly die at the next AE event? Topped up easily by me or my AI pet.

In WOW terms: WHM is Priest while SCH is shaman casting chain heal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That definitely feels like the original intention from back in 2.X. I expect the healer rework to be a return to that to some extent.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I look forward to seeing AST's new form, and the quest retcons it will necessitate

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm hoping Noct will just get turned into a buff that adds something alongside heals for a few seconds.

Some weird healer blm where you rotate between night and day

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I must be the only weirdo who liked Noct cause I got excited I could use it whenever I saw a WHM or AST in my parties

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn't mind it so much in dual AST parties, but it's so much less efficient and worse than diurnal I didn't run it with WHM unless we absolutely, 100% needed the full party shields to survive mechanics.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm hoping Noct will just get turned into a buff that adds something alongside heals for a few seconds.

Some weird healer blm where you rotate between night and day

I do wonder if they're planning on making the Healer DPS play a bit more pronouncedly differently between the jobs. The wording on the concept could mean Sage has something of an activated burst phase. White Mage has already gotten some positive feedback from Shadowbringers allowing them to reimburse heals with a nuke, so I figure any new additions or adjustments it gets will further that theme. It could be neat to have Astrologian to work around a cycle, in that case.
What, then, should Scholar get... the return of Shadow Flare?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tbh until we hear specifics I'm taking that line to mean "they have a Presence of Mind analogue"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah it's way too early to know what they mean. All three healers currently have abilities to increase their magic abilities anyways.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not going to limit my dreams when we're shooting for the moon. :colbert:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So if they do the Four Fiends from FF4 as a trial series, which one are we thinking gets killed in a solo duty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hogama posted:

I do wonder if they're planning on making the Healer DPS play a bit more pronouncedly differently between the jobs. The wording on the concept could mean Sage has something of an activated burst phase. White Mage has already gotten some positive feedback from Shadowbringers allowing them to reimburse heals with a nuke, so I figure any new additions or adjustments it gets will further that theme. It could be neat to have Astrologian to work around a cycle, in that case.
What, then, should Scholar get... the return of Shadow Flare?

The way they make.Sage sound there it's more dark arts and not stance cycling.