Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

journalctl is slow and annoying, but dumping poo poo into /var/log wasn't great either. No one has ever enjoyed the routine of holding page up/page down looking for timestamps or grepping out the irrelevant crap.

If you really care about logs you pipe it into something properly searchable such as splunk. :colbert:
You use syslog to send to a device that aggregates logs, stats, and generates alerts and graphs for you.

A Raspberry Pi with a couple of 2.5" 5400RPM disks in a zpool is perfect for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gotta say, I'm really impressed with Fedora.

Its so advanced it's reaching into the future and pulling out future kernel panic or dumps and giving me them now. Much more advanced than Arch.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gotta say, I'm really impressed with Fedora.

Its so advanced it's reaching into the future and pulling out future kernel panic or dumps and giving me them now. Much more advanced than Arch.

:science:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
That's actually pretty funny the UI accounts for that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mr. Crow posted:

That's actually pretty funny the UI accounts for that.

Reminded me of https://m.imgur.com/gallery/JADYkVb

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't there a library that everyone uses that turns a unix timestamp into a human friendly string like that? I know the date command for example is pretty flexible turning stings into timestamps.

My guess is the timestamp is in UTC and the window manager formatting for UTC-4, or vice versa.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ctime API does that, for casual use look at https://www.epochconverter.com/

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I was just reading this thread the other day when everyone was discussing the arch linux installation guide and how it was so easy to miss the networking page and I made a note to make sure I remembered to check that out when I tried to install arch but I still managed to screw it up by not installing a dhcp client. I guess the mistake is on me for not reading the page correctly.

I also skipped the network manager because for some reason i figured that was for wireless connections and I wont need that for ethernet....

At least I am learning lots

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

Isn't there a library that everyone uses that turns a unix timestamp into a human friendly string like that? I know the date command for example is pretty flexible turning stings into timestamps.

My guess is the timestamp is in UTC and the window manager formatting for UTC-4, or vice versa.
do like lilo (or me) and put epoch as timestamps in your irc client, that way you can learn how to read them :engleft:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

do like lilo (or me) and put epoch as timestamps in your irc client, that way you can learn how to read them :engleft:

This BSD user gimmick has gone too far

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
My custom built computer is going to need to use wifi soon instead of the ethernet it currently is using. Any recommendations? USB? Card? It's an over 10 year old ASUS m4a78 pro motherboard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

My custom built computer is going to need to use wifi soon instead of the ethernet it currently is using. Any recommendations? USB? Card? It's an over 10 year old ASUS m4a78 pro motherboard.

Do you have any open PCIe slots? ASUS makes some wireless AC and AX cards which are likely to be fairly painless. USB can work fine, too, but I think is more likely to give driver headaches.

What distro are you running?

Another way to get wireless connectivity would be to use a wireless access point that you plug into using ethernet. That avoids drivers and wireless config on the computer altogether, although they might not be quite as fast as a dedicated wireless solution.

I have one of these wireless N TP-Link extenders for that purpose and it's been solid, although it's a little slow now compared to more recent models: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/138871/TP-Link-N300-Wireless-Wi-Fi/.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

I just bought this WiFi/Bluetooth card a week ago and it has had no issues with drivers with a modern kernel on Linux.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0832MR4WB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_QFSKDNKHC2ATA8Y8DTZ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously, if you're dealing with a really ancient computer running a really old kernel your results may vary.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I'm running Ubuntu 20.10, I thought I had posted that, but must have been an earlier draft.
The kernel is 5.8.0-41-generic. I do have some PCIe slot(s) open as it looks like the only one being used is the blue(?) PCIe 2.0 x16(?) one for my video card.

Maybe not necessary for this use case, but is it time I look into upgrading/replacing my tower?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm going to lose my mind, somehow I'm my VMs pressing tab twice (sometimes once) or enter to complete a command is killing my terminal and I can't troubleshoot it well... Because I can't type any loving commands. I've tried swapping to a VT and it just kills the session...

Using KVM, is this some bizarre host QEMU bug? My host is fine. Any ideas how to start troubleshooting this?

To clarify a bit, the keys in question work normally inside the VMs on any non-terminal application.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 2, 2021

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

The Merkinman posted:

I'm running Ubuntu 20.10, I thought I had posted that, but must have been an earlier draft.
The kernel is 5.8.0-41-generic. I do have some PCIe slot(s) open as it looks like the only one being used is the blue(?) PCIe 2.0 x16(?) one for my video card.

Maybe not necessary for this use case, but is it time I look into upgrading/replacing my tower?

Seems like it’d be fine.

Try out this bad boy:

ASUS Dual Band 802.11AC Wireless-AC2100 PCI-e Bluetooth 5 Gigabit WiFi Adapter, 160MHz Support (PCE-AC58BT) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07P61CK87/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9RH0V0FE067H9TR0ZTRP

EDIT: first one I posted wasn’t 802.11ac.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I recently switched from MacOS to Ubuntu, so I got real noob question here:

When installing various programs, e.g snap or vim, what directory should I install them to besides the home directory? I don't want ~ to get too crowded. Should I cd into /usr/bin/ when installing little things off of github?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Make a git or github or git/github dir in your home directory. You can symlink executables to ~/bin.

And things like vim will be properly packaged by your distro. Install them from the package manager or whatever the Applications gui is. (I'm not sure you were really saying you are trying to use vim from source but that is how i read it :colbert:)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Stuff in /usr (excluding /usr/local) is reserved for system packages so don't install them there, your package manager (apt) will install stuff there.

Generally you can mirror /usr in /usr/local for locally installed things. /opt is another popular location for random installations. Use ~/.local/ (same structure as /usr) for stuff installed per-user.

Snap is another package manager (albeit terrible) and it will just do the right thing, as far as it's concerned.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
:sotw: thanks everyone

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm going to lose my mind, somehow I'm my VMs pressing tab twice (sometimes once) or enter to complete a command is killing my terminal and I can't troubleshoot it well... Because I can't type any loving commands. I've tried swapping to a VT and it just kills the session...

Using KVM, is this some bizarre host QEMU bug? My host is fine. Any ideas how to start troubleshooting this?

To clarify a bit, the keys in question work normally inside the VMs on any non-terminal application.

Think I've narrowed it down to bash crashing, I can use sh fine. When I get bash to crash, sh seems to think it exited cleanly with $? == 0... I've never needed to debug bash itself, any clues?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Mr. Crow posted:

Think I've narrowed it down to bash crashing, I can use sh fine. When I get bash to crash, sh seems to think it exited cleanly with $? == 0... I've never needed to debug bash itself, any clues?

I don’t know, and have no business even answering, but are you using a standard US keyboard? Maybe something amiss in localization?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
My Arch is a little messed up, or maybe a lot. I was trying to view an .Img file inside of an img I renamed to iso, anyway I'm the in the emergency shell, probably in the boot partition. I think the UUID and such and so forth was changed, maybe. I'm going to have to figure this out.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I fixed it thank god, I think it tried to boot the Img file I was playing with, but upon 2nd boot it self corrected.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cheese Thief posted:

I fixed it thank god, I think it tried to boot the Img file I was playing with, but upon 2nd boot it self corrected.

this is one of the things I love about linux. this poo poo shouldn't be possible, and even if you somehow manage to make it possible it shouldn't just fix itself mysteriously

the jank is a selling point

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I seem to remember fixing some problem just by chain rebooting once. no clue why, but it just got a little farther with every reboot until it just magically worked after like 6-7 boots

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would guess that the loader in question has an counter somewhere which attempts to switch to another bootblock if one fails too often, so it's not exactly magic.
FreeBSDs standard loader can do this (including for zfs with boot environments via zfsbootcfg(8)).
There are plans for making it such that the bootblock reservations in the OpenZFS spec will be used this way too (including support for falling back to known good boot environment like FreeBSD can).

Also, here's a bit of useless trivia (well, it's useless as Cheese Thief already figured out their problem):
You can map either img or iso files to a device via mdconfig(8) on all Unix-likes (yes, even in /rescue).
The first is an image of a disk the way it's partitioned if you dd it to out.img and can accessed with mount(8), while the second is a ISO-9660 filesystem meant to be accessed with mount_cd9660(8).

tjones
May 13, 2005
As easy as it can be to break poo poo, most problems are trivial and can be solved with a little time with chroot.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I would guess that the loader in question has an counter somewhere which attempts to switch to another bootblock if one fails too often, so it's not exactly magic.
FreeBSDs standard loader can do this (including for zfs with boot environments via zfsbootcfg(8)).
There are plans for making it such that the bootblock reservations in the OpenZFS spec will be used this way too (including support for falling back to known good boot environment like FreeBSD can).

Also, here's a bit of useless trivia (well, it's useless as Cheese Thief already figured out their problem):
You can map either img or iso files to a device via mdconfig(8) on all Unix-likes (yes, even in /rescue).
The first is an image of a disk the way it's partitioned if you dd it to out.img and can accessed with mount(8), while the second is a ISO-9660 filesystem meant to be accessed with mount_cd9660(8).

My situation was a little weirder, and was actually solaris iirc. Turned out there was something wonky in the network stack that was causing NFS mounts to fail, and whoever set them up had set them all to be hard mounts. Every time we rebooted it would manage to mount a couple more before one failed, and we had to try again.

I was actually glad I had run into another box that had like 4 years uptime, had had like 400 hard NFS mounts added to fstab, then the actual machines hosting the mounts shut down and removed. I was able to spot what was happening pretty quick

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fuckin nfs mounts man, users can't get enough of that poo poo. gently caress yeah I want all my storage available everywhere!!

I got a customer with so many crossmounts that they aren't even in the fstab, with a full network reboot nothing can come up in a predictable state. Instead they have a cron job that runs 15 minutes after boot to mount them manually.

NFS on boot is better these days, linux handles backgrounding them a lot better than it once did but this "design" predates that and they're resistant to change because it might break something.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

Fuckin nfs mounts man, users can't get enough of that poo poo. gently caress yeah I want all my storage available everywhere!!

I got a customer with so many crossmounts that they aren't even in the fstab, with a full network reboot nothing can come up in a predictable state. Instead they have a cron job that runs 15 minutes after boot to mount them manually.

NFS on boot is better these days, linux handles backgrounding them a lot better than it once did but this "design" predates that and they're resistant to change because it might break something.

I love NFS, but if I ever catch anyone using the HARD option in an fstab again violence may happen

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm really appreciating how easy it is to create a bootable linux distro USB stick in any OS now. I just had the unfortunate experience of trying to create a windows bootable USB without any windows machines.

It is astonishingly hard to create a Windows installer USB stick without access to Windows. I had to install Linux, install a virtual machine manager, then install Windows in a virtual machine, plug my USB stick into my computer, pass the USB device through the virtual machine into windows, and then use the windows creation kit to make a bootable USB for a Windows install.

Just writing the iso to the USB stick does not allow it to actually install Windows because the windows installer expects several partitions with very discrete and unique file structures (it needs fat32 for one partition, but also has files bigger than fat32 can handle so you have to split them up) that are for some reason not written into the ISO and no boot sector is included in the iso so you would have to manually create it if you're not using the windows tool.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

So, this is a noob question...

I'd like to get an external USB hard drive and hook it up to my laptop running Linux (CentOs8 currently, but I'm going to switch it to Ubuntu or something when I get time). I'd like to then share that USB hard drive on my network with Windows clients (using Samba I assume) AND via NFS clients (other linux machines, netbooting raspberry pis, vm backups, etc).

What disk filesystem should I use? Can all of the above be accomplished with one FS? Or am I going to HAVE to make two partitions and format them differently? Say EXT4 and NTFS or something?

I'm used to sharing things in Windows... but really want to boot these raspberry pis and other VMs from the network... and I don't know the constraints and such.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If you are using an SMB share I don’t think it would matter. The host computer for the drive handles all the file system shenanigans. The other client computers don’t need to understand what the file system is for the drive there connecting to over the network.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you can use any filesystem for that. The clients don't care what the filesystem is.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you are using an SMB share I don’t think it would matter. The host computer for the drive handles all the file system shenanigans. The other client computers don’t need to understand what the file system is for the drive there connecting to over the network.

Cool, thanks!

So I can format the whole thing as ext4 or whatever and then share the whole drive out to:

Windows machines using samba and...
Linux machines using nfs?

And it’ll all play nice? If so, that’s awesome

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yuppers. You can also use SMB or NFS alone for both clients.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

namlosh posted:

Cool, thanks!

So I can format the whole thing as ext4 or whatever and then share the whole drive out to:

Windows machines using samba and...
Linux machines using nfs?

And it’ll all play nice? If so, that’s awesome

Yep. That’s done all the time with NAS’s which might be in ZFS or Ext4 and Windows can happily connect to them and read them despite having no native support for those file systems.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yep. That’s done all the time with NAS’s which might be in ZFS or Ext4 and Windows can happily connect to them and read them despite having no native support for those file systems.

Now I feel dumb, lol. of course... thanks!

xtal posted:

Yuppers. You can also use SMB or NFS alone for both clients.

Wait, am I missing something? Can windows machines talk to something via NFS? I see that Windows has "Service for NFS" but I had assumed that was sort of half-baked.

Given this, what's the best move to share? SMB or NFS? or does it not functionally matter?

Sorry for so many questions... I really appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have experience with windows NFS so I could be wrong, but I think it's just fine. There are some functional differences between it and SMB as far as semantics for authentication. But they're mostly equivalent. (Compared to, for example, sshfs, which wouldn't work well for multiple clients.)