Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jujutsu Kaisen still fun but man I suddenly feel real bad for those sisters. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Need more SK8 to cheer me up.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Furnaceface posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen still fun but man I suddenly feel real bad for those sisters. :(

This is what is known in the business as "Writing".

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Today’s episode of Horimiya was very good. Love those two goofballs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

back arrow isn't afraid to ask the important rhetorical questions

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Black Stones posted:

Today’s episode of Horimiya was very good. Love those two goofballs

I haven't seen it yet because I got distracted by Funi posting a simul-dub of episode 1, which I was not at all expecting for this show.

Also in the dub the weirdo teacher at the start is voiced by the dude who plays Kaburagi in Deca-Dence which is such a weird voice for him lmao

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

back arrow isn't afraid to ask the important rhetorical questions

Already answered by last exile

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that’s why its rhetorical

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ADAM is seriously such a good antagonist and I really like how he plays off the rest of the SK8 casts strengths and weaknesses. Also I just noticed Langa's nickname keeps changing each time he beats someone.

Next weeks episode is a beach episode so I expect 50% of the time spent focused on Joe's abs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not gonna lie how Lagna dealt with the Love Hug was cool as hell.

But man cops have to ruin everything.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sk8 surprised me, I never expected a skateboarding anime to be this engrossing. The personalities of the main characters, the skateboarding action, the setting, all aces.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tomozaki hitting a little too close to home with that bit with the mirror.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Otherside Picnic's production is really starting to come apart lately IMO. This week's episode really didn't handle the climactic spook very well at all - I doubt anime-onlies will even really understand what happened in that particular scene - and the overall direction and pacing feel like they're becoming increasingly stilted trying to manage a show that can barely force itself to animate. Pretty unfortunate.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the director's done good work on other stuff so that sucks, wonder if something happened with the production

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

the director's done good work on other stuff so that sucks, wonder if something happened with the production

I mean the studio's got four shows airing just this season, so I assume it's just a matter of the show not getting all the resources - time, personnel, whatever - it really needed. Cells At Work Black, for example, isn't some amazing Sakuga feast or anything but it's at least a lot more visually stable than Picnic's been.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I also just genuinely think the director is bad at horror

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there seems to have also been a decision to intentionally tone down the horror compared to the manga. iunno the LNs to compare but the manga just as a basic thing has way freakier reactions to stuff and more emphasis on things being scary.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Blockhouse posted:

I also just genuinely think the director is bad at horror

the director is the same as the first couple seasons of wixoss, which were pretty effective at slow building tension and dread if nothing else. like obviously wixoss wasn't downright a horror show but it was good at hefting weight in its freakier moments

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's honestly hard for me to judge the anime's approach to horror when it feels so hamstrung by what it can even depict, really.

Like, in episode 4, changing the monster's design from this

to this

feels much much much less like a particular creative choice than it does a matter of "oh god, we need to simplify what we're asking our animators to draw or this episode is just not going to air in time."

The Colonel posted:

the director is the same as the first couple seasons of wixoss, which were pretty effective at slow building tension and dread if nothing else. like obviously wixoss wasn't downright a horror show but it was good at hefting weight in its freakier moments

I can't personally speak to Wixoss, but I will say that this sort of thing would normally be a good fit for something like Otherside, IMO. Even setting aside a lot of the slower-burn stuff when the monsters aren't immediately at hand, even when they finally show up the threat is often less about being physically harmed or killed than it is about being driven insane or Taken Away somewhere.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying and looking forward to jobless each week.

The magic in the show really feels grounded and bound by a set of rules that keep it consistent and not overly powerful. And we're seeing a lot of growth from our main character from a really wretched bum who couldn't be assed to go to a family members funeral in his old life to his life now.

And they also don't gloss over how shocking some of the stuff would be to someone who up to this point has lived a comfortable life. That things can get really harsh here.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's been amusing to keep an eye on the audience reaction on various forums all over the internet.

One surprising thing was seeing English light novel readers arguing with anime watchers over the filthier details, and discovering that the official English publisher apparently went through the Japanese original with a vacuum cleaner, making sure to remove anything considered a sexual offence in big chunks. I wasn't aware that kind of thing was still required to make ends meet in this business.

And in more recent developments, it's rumoured Chinese streaming giant Bilibili had the show taken offline due to web celeb controversy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

The magic in the show really feels grounded and bound by a set of rules that keep it consistent and not overly powerful. And we're seeing a lot of growth from our main character from a really wretched bum who couldn't be assed to go to a family members funeral in his old life to his life now.

And they also don't gloss over how shocking some of the stuff would be to someone who up to this point has lived a comfortable life. That things can get really harsh here.
Agreed. Episode 5 was a great place for me to pick this up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So in Otherside, did our heroes just leave, like, a hundred people to die? I mean I know they are only americans but...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

So in Otherside, did our heroes just leave, like, a hundred people to die? I mean I know they are only americans but...

So, that's become kind of a complicated answer lol.

Short answer is "yes, but they come back for them." So, the anime moved this chapter - it was originally the third chapter of volume 1, before the volume finale in episode 4. The fight Toriko and Sorawo have where Sorawo doesn't want to go back to the Otherside so soon but can't admit that she's just scared was originally about Toriko wanting to go back and rescue the Pale Horse Battalion. The first chapter of volume 2 was originally supposed to be them getting around to that, but the way the anime ends this week's episode - with Toriko and Sorawo waking up on a beach instead of a train - makes me think that we're skipping that and going directly to the second chapter of volume 2.

Honestly, after having watched the ep, I kinda wish they'd just skipped the Pale Horse Battalion stuff entirely. They're nice enough chapters in the books but not really essential the way stuff like the volume 1 finale was, even if they were given a nicer adaptation than they've gotten. The most important bit I can think of is after they succeed in the rescue attempt, Sorawo breaks down and cries a little bit because she feels guilty and like she's a way worse person than Toriko for not wanting to involve herself any further and go back to rescue the Pale Horse Battalion, only for Toriko to comfort her. It's a nice scene but doesn't desperately need to be attached to this specific story. I find the spooks to mostly be among the weaker ones of the series too, and the anime kind of mangled the biggest highlight IMO - while Toriko and Sorawo are on the train and transitioning between the Otherside and the real one, Toriko can see the Otherside version of the train, wherein strange ape-like creatures are dismembering captured and entranced soldiers with butcher knives and tongs. Sorawo hugs Toriko to keep her from seeing and sits there, crying and praying that the apes don't notice them before they've fully transitioned to the real world, until passing out to later be woken up by Toriko in the real world.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, that's become kind of a complicated answer lol.

Short answer is "yes, but they come back for them." So, the anime moved this chapter - it was originally the third chapter of volume 1, before the volume finale in episode 4. The fight Toriko and Sorawo have where Sorawo doesn't want to go back to the Otherside so soon but can't admit that she's just scared was originally about Toriko wanting to go back and rescue the Pale Horse Battalion. The first chapter of volume 2 was originally supposed to be them getting around to that, but the way the anime ends this week's episode - with Toriko and Sorawo waking up on a beach instead of a train - makes me think that we're skipping that and going directly to the second chapter of volume 2.

Honestly, after having watched the ep, I kinda wish they'd just skipped the Pale Horse Battalion stuff entirely. They're nice enough chapters in the books but not really essential the way stuff like the volume 1 finale was, even if they were given a nicer adaptation than they've gotten. The most important bit I can think of is after they succeed in the rescue attempt, Sorawo breaks down and cries a little bit because she feels guilty and like she's a way worse person than Toriko for not wanting to involve herself any further and go back to rescue the Pale Horse Battalion, only for Toriko to comfort her. It's a nice scene but doesn't desperately need to be attached to this specific story. I find the spooks to mostly be among the weaker ones of the series too, and the anime kind of mangled the biggest highlight IMO - while Toriko and Sorawo are on the train and transitioning between the Otherside and the real one, Toriko can see the Otherside version of the train, wherein strange ape-like creatures are dismembering captured and entranced soldiers with butcher knives and tongs. Sorawo hugs Toriko to keep her from seeing and sits there, crying and praying that the apes don't notice them before they've fully transitioned to the real world, until passing out to later be woken up by Toriko in the real world.

Hmm, okay. I guess that assuages my concerns, but (book spoiler?) I didn't get that vibe at all from the way the episode ended. There should have been more of a hint that they cared about those guys at all...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mushoku Tensei needs it's own thread. I just realized we need one, for this long-term serial.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the big thing going around about it being like an MHA situation was a mistranslation, so it should just be split cour for now

but as always :justpost:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Hmm, okay. I guess that assuages my concerns, but (book spoiler?) I didn't get that vibe at all from the way the episode ended. There should have been more of a hint that they cared about those guys at all...

I mean, they did stay to help the soldiers fight the face monster. They only bailed when a bunch of highly armed and extremely stressed foreign nationals saw Sorawo's glowy eye and started grumbling ominously about her being "one of THEM", which seems eminently reasonable IMO.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, they did stay to help the soldiers fight the face monster. They only bailed when a bunch of highly armed and extremely stressed foreign nationals saw Sorawo's glowy eye and started grumbling ominously about her being "one of THEM", which seems eminently reasonable IMO.

I mean okay, but before I saw your book spoiler, I mostly read that as "oh, the author contrived a set of weak-sauce coincidental circumstances whereby leaving these people to die is okay because oops I wrote myself into a corner and need to restore the status quo". Like her contact lens didn't have to disappear at just that time, they didn't have to decide not to say anything for no reason (which is a pointless lie, because tomorrow when they are leading the scout team it'll probably become rapidly obvious Sowako can detect the Glitches, and besides they already decided to not say anything before they got the phone call to tell them to say anything), that soldier guy didn't have to be so drat vague on why phoning is a bad idea, Greg didn't have to be there at just the wrong time.

If there's more to this story then I'm a lot happier about it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

darkgray posted:

It's been amusing to keep an eye on the audience reaction on various forums all over the internet.

One surprising thing was seeing English light novel readers arguing with anime watchers over the filthier details, and discovering that the official English publisher apparently went through the Japanese original with a vacuum cleaner, making sure to remove anything considered a sexual offence in big chunks. I wasn't aware that kind of thing was still required to make ends meet in this business.

And in more recent developments, it's rumoured Chinese streaming giant Bilibili had the show taken offline due to web celeb controversy.

Everything, or just stuff from Rudy? Isn't the quasi hereditary perviness of the dad's family near plot relevant?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
I really don't get why the Otherside Picnic adaptation is changing stuff from the source so much, it doesn't seem to be doing it any favours at all. I like both the novel and the manga but I think I've given up on the anime.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Gyges posted:

Everything, or just stuff from Rudy? Isn't the quasi hereditary perviness of the dad's family near plot relevant?

I don't know the full extent of it. A guy on an LN-themed Discord server was making his way through the first couple of volumes in Japanese, and noticed scenes he didn't remember from the English translation, I believe. Comparing the sections made it clear that entire paragraphs had gone missing, with others just rewriting events to sound less objectionable.

Anyone who's been buying the official light novel release after first finishing the old web novel fan translations would recognise that a lot of the creepier stuff got toned down, but I think the assumption has always been that it was a choice made by the Japanese publishing company when they set some professional editors on the job, massaging it into a sellable book. Now it turns out it's mostly been done in the localisation phase instead. No idea what side came up with that plan, but I have vague memories of the author once mentioning in a blog post that he wished he hadn't gone quite so far with the sexual stuff. They still put it in the anime, though!

Anyway, my guess is "everything", because the official English novel wiped out Paul undeniably raping Lilia in their youth (anime ep 4), for example. It's not just the first volume either, since he found additional places with lines missing in the second too. Nobody's gone to the effort of actually reading the two editions side-by-side to find all instances, mind you.

There's a reddit thread that probably makes it easier to see how it's been handled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
usually i'd decry bowdlerism, but taking all that poo poo out is nothing but an improvement.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm just going to drop otherside at this point, the production quality is crap and the story is a mess. It sounds like it's really made a mess of the source material

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

usually i'd decry bowdlerism, but taking all that poo poo out is nothing but an improvement.

Honestly, just hearing about the stuff that was cut is making me sick to my stomach, so yes, removing it is good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

darkgray posted:

I don't know the full extent of it. A guy on an LN-themed Discord server was making his way through the first couple of volumes in Japanese, and noticed scenes he didn't remember from the English translation, I believe. Comparing the sections made it clear that entire paragraphs had gone missing, with others just rewriting events to sound less objectionable.

Anyone who's been buying the official light novel release after first finishing the old web novel fan translations would recognise that a lot of the creepier stuff got toned down, but I think the assumption has always been that it was a choice made by the Japanese publishing company when they set some professional editors on the job, massaging it into a sellable book. Now it turns out it's mostly been done in the localisation phase instead. No idea what side came up with that plan, but I have vague memories of the author once mentioning in a blog post that he wished he hadn't gone quite so far with the sexual stuff. They still put it in the anime, though!

Anyway, my guess is "everything", because the official English novel wiped out Paul undeniably raping Lilia in their youth (anime ep 4), for example. It's not just the first volume either, since he found additional places with lines missing in the second too. Nobody's gone to the effort of actually reading the two editions side-by-side to find all instances, mind you.

There's a reddit thread that probably makes it easier to see how it's been handled.

Looking at the linked smoking guns, it's not that bad. Creeps are still creeps, pervs still perv, just at less objectionable levels. Changing the Paul stuff is kind of weird though, because my limited knowledge is that Paul being a piece of poo poo is a huge part of his entire being. Reading the manga, it's a real question as to why Rudy's mom and the maid put up with his rear end unlike every other woman in the world.

It does look like it might be a running thing of the English publisher though, which means we're probably dealing with a literary version of a way toned down 4kids. They likely edit the stuff they license to ensure it doesn't get kicked out of the YA section of bookstores and online retail.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

since i doubt anyone still cares enough about promised neverland s2 to keep watching it i read what happened in last week's ep and lol

norman's back already

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Gyges posted:

Changing the Paul stuff is kind of weird though, because my limited knowledge is that Paul being a piece of poo poo is a huge part of his entire being. Reading the manga, it's a real question as to why Rudy's mom and the maid put up with his rear end unlike every other woman in the world.

I think you could make the argument that it defies belief that a woman whose first sexual experience was rape would be so eager to get in bed with the assailant again, so I'm not sure muddying the details is a net negative on characterisation.

Wonder how they'll deal with the cursed elf lady in later arcs, though.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Aurora posted:

since i doubt anyone still cares enough about promised neverland s2 to keep watching it i read what happened in last week's ep and lol

norman's back already

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the source material, but it's pretty clear that they broke this plot apart with a crowbar and then put it back together wrong.

Also I'm watching it with someone who keeps saying things like, "THEY SKIPPED 50 loving CHAPTERS" and "THIS SHOULD BE SEASON 5".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the source material, but it's pretty clear that they broke this plot apart with a crowbar and then put it back together wrong.

Same, I did not read the manga but I dropped season 2 because the plot turned into a huge mess. The somewhat slow and deliberate pacing was season 1's strongest point, and season 2 has none of that. My guess is that the production committee wasn't confident that the show was popular enough to get more seasons, so they're trying to cram as much as possible into one season.