Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you have a Micro Center nearby they're good sources simply because they've instituted new anti-scalping rules. Only one purchase of a highly requested item per 30 day period. Meaning if you buy *any* 3080, you're prevented from buying any another 3080 for 30 days, regardless of maker or SKU.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjagrips
Mar 19, 2007

acksplode posted:

RDR2 is an open world game with a day/night system and dynamic weather. It's easy to think you have settings right for a stable 60, and then mist settles down on your camp, or you visit St. Denis at night when all the streetlamps are lit. I'm running it at 4K on a 3080 and I had to knock most settings down to high or even medium to get rid of stutters entirely. Still looks absolutely gorgeous.

I've been through the weather, Saint Denis at night, and pretty much 50% of the game (my second playthrough) on this 6800 and still have yet to see any stuttering. Granted, my "old-school" eyes aren't used to 144Hz gaming or anything like that. I'm playing at 60Hz. Still, I can tell when something drops below 30fps. And this game has not dropped anywhere near that on the 6800. Maybe my eyes are just fine with anything in between 30 and 60fps, I dunno.

I'd think a 3080 should be getting anywhere from 10-15 fps higher than my 6800, but that's just a guess.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bad Munki posted:

I understand that there’s like a 10, maybe 15% performance bump from the 80 to the 90, but is that across the board for applications, or is it a rough average across a few specific use cases, where some will get more benefit and others less?

I ask because I’m specifically targeting VR and if it turned out that by some quirk a 90 was actually significantly better in that context, I would actually consider dropping the extra dosh.

it's very application dependent. nominally the 3090 is ~21% faster on paper if you can hit the same clock rates. 10% is about what you get in practice, on average, but at 4K you do see more and modern games are starting to make better use of it as settings crank up.

I have no particular insight into whether it matters for VR. I know the Index is roughly 4K ish when you figure out the total pixel count, most VR games are not really that intensive compared to pancake games in terms of effects (you're not going to see something like RDR2 in VR). I would guess you'd see something around that 10% average but that's just a guess.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Bad Munki posted:

I understand that there’s like a 10, maybe 15% performance bump from the 80 to the 90, but is that across the board for applications, or is it a rough average across a few specific use cases, where some will get more benefit and others less?

I ask because I’m specifically targeting VR and if it turned out that by some quirk a 90 was actually significantly better in that context, I would actually consider dropping the extra dosh.

The 3090 is indeed 10% - 15% faster across the board and has better frametimes. That’s a factor many forget because it’s not only about average frames but fps drops as well and minimum frames in heavy GPU loads and spikes.

The higher VRAM bandwidth of the 3090 helps here.

My brother has his VR systems tested with a 3080 and 3090 and he kept the 3090, he said the 3090 feels smoother and has a better fps punch because of the architecture in UWQHD and 4K.

I feel the resale value over the years will be „better“ and higher as well for a 3090 compared to scalper 3080s because it’s a „prosumer card“ and is wanted by a niche target group, so you could factor that in as well.

The reason is that beside the VRAM bandwidth the 24 GB VRAM especially are more resilient and help with workloads and future texture sizes and 4K and 8K packs in games as well.
So claim it will be more „easy“ to sell your 3090 for 1000 bucks in 3 or 4 years than the 3080 you bought for 1400 now because Textures will demand more GB the next years and prosumers might jump on used 3090s in 2 years after the 4000 series is released.

The 2080Ti profits from offering 11 GB VRAM and is found at 600 to 900 Euro again in local ebay listings, depending on the warranty and how young she is.

I found a new 2080Ti for 850 Euro in a local Saturn (Media Markt and Metro Group) and that’s a better deal now than 800 Euro for a 3070.

I still don’t understand Nvidia’s choice to sell the 3070 as the So called 2080Ti match with only 8 GB VRAM like it’s 2016 again.

Edit: If the reality actually was available 3080s for 700 vs 3090s for 1500 we would have a completely different discussion.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 6, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's kind of funny that you can still game pretty well these days at 1080p with like, an i5 and 980ti. As pixel counts increase multiplicatively with native resolution, so does $$$.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Exactly, it’s the jump to 3440x1440 and 4K that scales your money you have to pay for „60 fps gaming“, unironically.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

exquisite tea posted:

It's kind of funny that you can still game pretty well these days at 1080p with like, an i5 and 980ti. As pixel counts increase multiplicatively with native resolution, so does $$$.

Take CP2077 for example, many settings when dropped from max to medium results in little IQ impact but a tremendous boost in FPS

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

exquisite tea posted:

historical (pre-6C6T/6C12T) i5 is starting to struggle depending on what it is, 4C4T is rough these days I think. Even at lower resolutions you may be CPU bound. I think there's a pretty solid argument that i7s or HEDT was worth the squeeze back then - 4C8T i7s like 2600K/4790K/etc have aged much better than 4C4T, is that worth an extra $100? I think probably. A 3930K basically is a Ryzen 1600 processor but 5 years earlier, is that worth an extra $400 up front for the chip and board? I think probably. Even as recently as Haswell, 4790K or 5820K was a good purchase.

980 Ti is also getting to be a problem especially for DX12/Vulkan-only titles, Maxwell really is a DX11-optimized architecture and doesn't handle some newer games all that well.

For the most part NVIDIA has actually been really good about legacy support though - bringing DX12 to Fermi was completely unexpected and they didn't have any profit motive for that, and Kepler desktop still has nominal driver support (despite the architecture performing really poorly) just like GCN 1.0. It's not great performance, the architecture didn't age well and drivers can't fix that, but you can play modern games.

Early GCN aged really well though and a 7950 or 290X is still decent for 1080p, and 290X has FreeSync. 290X bottomed out around $250-300 in mid 2015 after the first bitcoin gpu-mining crash, in hindsight that was one of the best buys of all time if you were willing to just stick with 1080p and maybe bought a freesync monitor later. RX 480 was also ridiculous in early 2017, you could get a used 4GB card for like $125 or 8GB for like $150, and that's really been AMD's bread and butter card ever since. The Hawaii/Polaris core configuration really worked, most Hawaii/Polaris cards are pretty much going to wear out their bearings or crack a solder ball before they're removed from service doing basic desktop/light gaming poo poo or running an improvised server or whatever.

It's insane how much the GPU market has changed over the last 4 years though. Like imagine expecting a card to come down by 50% over the lifespan of the card. Or clearance sales as a new generation is introduced. Now, gently caress you, you're lucky it's at MSRP at all.

But GTX 1080 bottomed out at $390-430, 1070 was $325, 480 8GB was $150-170, 4GB was $125, etc - less than a year after launch! Cards used to do that, go down sometimes.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Exactly, it’s the jump to 3440x1440 and 4K that scales your money you have to pay for „60 fps gaming“, unironically.

3440x1440 is only marginally worse than 1440p, it is only 21/16 = ~31% more pixels. It's better to drift to the high-end range of GPUs if you want high-refresh but midrange will work if you have realistic expectations.

But yeah in general if you stay at 1080p you can get away with a much cheaper GPU. 1440p requires at least midrange if not a high end setup, and 4K requires absolute top of the line gear, and it's been that way for ages.

The CPU itself needs to be fast if you want to hit high refresh even with 1080p, but Zen2, Coffee Lake, and Zen3 are all competent enough.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 6, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 3080ti is real
The 3080ti isn't real
The 3080ti is real
The 3080ti isn't real
The 3080ti is real
The 3080ti isn't real
The 3080ti is real?

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-with-12gb-memory-to-launch-in-april

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

GPU Megat[H]read - "In Stock" is a nebulous term...

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
GPU Megat[H]read - Future E-waste

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Do not become addicted to GPUs, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

pofcorn posted:

Do not become addicted to GPUs, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

:perfect:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

pofcorn posted:

:bernpop:

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

"Hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane."

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
[And this post is a third Fury Road quote.]

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Am I going to have to use one of those in-stock notification services to get a 3060 when they are released, or are they expecting them to not fly off the shelves as fast as the higher end cards? I really want to upgrade my GTX 970.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
After updating to NVIDIA Game Ready Driver 461.09 or newer, Google Chrome may display flicker on some PC configurations

Nvidia posted:

NVIDIA is currently investigating end user reports that after updating to NVIDIA Game Ready Driver 461.09 or newer, Google Chrome may display flicker on some PC configurations.

Workaround:
Users who are experiencing this issue may download the registry file "mpo_disable.reg" from the Attachments section below and proceed to double-click on the file to add it to your system registry. This registry file will disable multiplane overlay. After adding the registry file, reboot your PC to complete the changes. If the flicker persists, you may restore multiplane overlay by downloading the file "mpo_restore.reg" and then proceed to double-click on the file to add it to your registry.
Also a hotfix driver for display resets while browsing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh, phew. It was really starting to bug the poo poo out of me

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Slowpoke! posted:

Am I going to have to use one of those in-stock notification services to get a 3060 when they are released, or are they expecting them to not fly off the shelves as fast as the higher end cards? I really want to upgrade my GTX 970.

I would not expect to get any graphics card anytime soon. If you want a 3060 I'd start prepping to jump on one fast.

They can't even keep poo poo 2 generations old in stock.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What is the current best shot at getting a 3080? Are there still discords that have alerts and the like? If so, can somebody link the best? I haven't tried to get one since the first couple of weeks after launch and at the time I was using a discord that I don't have a link to any more. What about the scalper groups? Don't they have some kind of custom software that helps them get stock. Is it feasible to try to use their method/tool to get a 3080? I assume it probably costs something but if it costs less than the markup on 3080s on ebay it would still be cheaper...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Buying a bot only puts you on an even keel with everyone else who bought the bot. It's probably a higherless-negative EV to camp the stock bot channels and discords, and pound your keyboard into dust when you hear a notification.

If you're not a brand snob - and at this point few are - the zotac store has been one of the most frequently-updated vendors. The coolers on their trinity cards are iffy, but the amps are solid and a few people who actually have them say they run just fine.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

D-Pad posted:

What is the current best shot at getting a 3080? Are there still discords that have alerts and the like? If so, can somebody link the best? I haven't tried to get one since the first couple of weeks after launch and at the time I was using a discord that I don't have a link to any more. What about the scalper groups? Don't they have some kind of custom software that helps them get stock. Is it feasible to try to use their method/tool to get a 3080? I assume it probably costs something but if it costs less than the markup on 3080s on ebay it would still be cheaper...

The ATR Stonks discord is good, but I don't have an invite link handy (someone here might). Getting a card is definitely doable without any botting software, the problem right now is hardly any 3080s have actually been dropping recently. There's been lots of 3070s, but hardly any 3080s. Lots of people have had success with Best Buy drops and Zotac store drops. Also couldn't hurt to enter Newegg shuffle every day, but I think your chances there are slim. Main thing to realize is each site often has a specific method you need to follow for checkout to have the best shot, at a card. E.g. on Zotac after you add to cart you need to copy/paste a link to the express PayPal checkout workflow rather than going through their normal checkout workflow. On Best Buy you should put every card you're interested on your saved items page, when a drop comes you hit the initial add to cart button, it will gray out for a while, then turn back yellow at which point you can actually add to cart. You specifically don't want to spam refresh/tabs for Best Buy as I believe that resets your chance at the Add buttons actually turning back to yellow for you. Other stores I'm sure have their own special process. In all cases though, making sure you have accounts created, logged in, and addresses/payment methods (for non-PayPal checkouts) pre-entered so you don't get slowed down when a drop comes is mandatory.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 6, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

stonks

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Overlays. loving overlays. That reg file disables overlays. Those are raining on my parade for months now. gently caress that poo poo.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Thanks for reminding me why I kill the xbox/windows game bar/geforce overlays usually within hours of installing an OS on a new build. Though I don't kill the steam/uplay/epic overlays since they only pop during a game and have not given me any trouble yet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know why, but I prefer StockDrops. Probably because they have Twitter feeds, possibly because the subtle humor in their web site is funnier than zoomer memes like "stonks".

Regrettably they all have Pepe The Frog and (ugh) 'kek' laughing man emotes, but nearly every gamer-focused space refuses to disown themselves of the cultural errata that the fascists corrupted.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 7, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh god what did they do to El Risitas

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know why, but I prefer StockDrops. Probably because they have Twitter feeds, possibly because the subtle humor in their web site is funnier than zoomer memes like "stonks".

Regrettably they all have Pepe The Frog and (ugh) 'kek' laughing man emotes, but nearly every gamer-focused space refuses to disown themselves of the cultural errata that the fascists corrupted.

Maybe off topic but it looks like the not insane part of the internet is trying to rehabilitate pepe. Who knows if the people using it are aware. But even PBS did a documentary on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yeah he goes by peepo now and is feeling good, man

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I started playing DIRT Rally 2.0 after spending the better part of a week downloading its 100 gig size. What surprised me was that running it on 1440p on the High preset, I can maintain an absolute 75 FPS lock and the GPU is sitting at about 75% utilization, and the CPU is at 30% utilization.

I only bring this up because the other two racing games I've been playing, NFS Payback and NFS Heat, stress my GPU and my CPU to the point where they're usually sitting well over 80% utilization and I can't always maintain 75 FPS.

It's not a huge deal but I'm surprised at either how well optimized DIRT Rally is, or how un-optimized these EA games are (I think they run on Frostbite?)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

buglord posted:

Maybe off topic but it looks like the not insane part of the internet is trying to rehabilitate pepe. Who knows if the people using it are aware. But even PBS did a documentary on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Twitch has always been way larger than any fascist usage of pepe.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Overlays. loving overlays. That reg file disables overlays. Those are raining on my parade for months now. gently caress that poo poo.

This totally fixed it for me

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not a huge deal but I'm surprised at either how well optimized DIRT Rally is, or how un-optimized these EA games are (I think they run on Frostbite?)

DIRT is well optimized and Frostbite is a cluster gently caress of an engine. EA thinks you can take an engine primarily designed for shooters and rig it to work for everything while also losing all (95% sure on this) of the engineers who created Frostbite

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I don't know if they lost all the engineers but there are a bunch of dev stories where they're like "yeah we needed to write a bunch of basic poo poo for Frostbite and all of its engineers were busy working on loving FIFA or something"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the impression I've gotten from reading poo poo online at least is that DICE wrote the engine and pretty much are the experts on it and probably get pulled off their projects to consult on engine work for other teams, yeah, and there probably aren't enough of them to go around (especially after DICE self-destructed in 2018/2019 and they lost a whole bunch of veteran engineers). And BFV, ME:A and Anthem's failures are at least in part attributable to "engine didn't do what we need so we had to write that" and "engine is so complex and bad we spent time fighting it instead of making content".

It's an engine for battlefield games, lots of destructible terrain and such, and FIFA is a relatively simple game with very little code churn, it's been running on frostbite for a long time with incremental updates (update the models and the player rosters, implement one new visual effect, and you're done). That doesn't mean it's a great MMO engine or an RPG engine, necessarily.

Stuff like the terrible facial animations in ME:A are pretty directly attributable to Frostbite. Like why do you need that for battlefield or whatever, so it wasn't written or wasn't good.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 7, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's OK, now EA own Codemasters they'll have Dirt running on Frostbite soon enough.

I'm actually fairly optimistic about the 3060, I've seen a handful of UK places have 3060Ti's in stock the last few days. Mostly for pickup in stores that aren't near me but still. As someone still rocking a 1060 it's very much the one I've been waiting for as my next big upgrade.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What makes Frostbite all that great compared to something like Unreal, anyway? Does it have any appreciable advantages or is it just about EA having vertical integration?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Thanks for reminding me why I kill the xbox/windows game bar/geforce overlays usually within hours of installing an OS on a new build. Though I don't kill the steam/uplay/epic overlays since they only pop during a game and have not given me any trouble yet.
No, not that kind of overlay. There's some rendering tech called overlays the Chromium browsers use, and that poo poo is bugged to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Does anyone know where I could find a stock NVIDIA FE cooler for 2080Ti / 2080? The only card I could find locally that was reasonable priced is one of those blower card and the FE cooler looks like to be decent when it comes to cooling / size.