Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Should the TimberShitter have a French door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rytheric posted:

You should give it a garage door. Make it look like a storage unit.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wouldn’t want to be driving behind the inferno truck when those French doors shatter

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

LiberalExtinction posted:

You should give it a garage door. Make it look like a storage unit.

Lol. Im not trying to hide the thing. Im allow to have it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Lol. Im not trying to hide the thing. Im allow to have it.

People are allowed to have genitals, but we still prefer to hide them.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Snowy posted:

I wouldn’t want to be driving behind the inferno truck when those French doors shatter

In the reference frame of the box truck. The glass would just fall down. It's not going to fall out the back unless there is an explosion or something.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Found a tiny home with lot in NC if one is interested in a near complete one. Water heater in the bathroom! https://www.facebook.com/groups/triangletrading/permalink/2218553108208096/

May be old post dont know if its still for sale.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 7, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rytheric posted:

In the reference frame of the box truck. The glass would just fall down. It's not going to fall out the back unless there is an explosion or something.

:allears:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rytheric posted:

This makes me want to make a firepit hottub.

I've wanted to soak in a fire heated outside bathtub during a snow storm for decades and I don't think I'm ever going to get a chance

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Voice of Labor posted:

I've wanted to soak in a fire heated outside bathtub during a snow storm for decades and I don't think I'm ever going to get a chance

Looks like you can for a low price of $15. Want me to reserve it for you?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Literally playing with fire ITT.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rytheric posted:

$15 +, like probably $4-500 to freight it out + $1-200k for a piece of land to put it on.

it's like when someone says how cheap their hobby is because the materials are cheap, but the initial barrier to entry is hundreds and hundreds of dollars in tools

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

$15 +, like probably $4-500 to freight it out + $1-200k for a piece of land to put it on.

it's like when someone says how cheap their hobby is because the materials are cheap, but the initial barrier to entry is hundreds and hundreds of dollars in tools

I get that. I typically don't consider start up investments either just the cash flow afterwards or return on investments. Freight might not be a problem though cause I have a box truck lol. Just need to find yourself a piece of land in the middle of nowhere where you can set the tub.

I know of one half acre parcel that only wants $1000 down then monthly payments for the other $8000. Can't build a house on it cause it doesn't perk but you can put a tub on it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You can probably find a dirt cheap hosed up old tub locally, and if you seriously need to buy land you don’t need to spend that much, cmon. I’m in nyc and there’s upstate land that’s cheap as hell so I think you’re overestimating.

Don’t let a decades long dream pass you by!! Just make sure to post lots of progress shots of your woodlands deathtrap firetub.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Yeah you may want a cooking thermometer just to make sure you're not cooking yourself.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rytheric posted:

I always got nervous around those. Sure you can get the water hot, but what about when it starts getting too hot?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I just watched a 30 minute, how to build a shitter tutorial. Thing wasn't up to code to my state and definitely not timber framed so I can only give it a 5/7, but here is a link if you want to watch someone build a shitter.

https://youtu.be/dTeo8OOxodo

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

I always got nervous around those. Sure you can get the water hot, but what about when it starts getting too hot?

Like too hot to jump out or like what temperature is desirable? You can look up water temperature guide lines. I recall looking them up for anthropomorphic guidelines to determine the best temperature to extract vitamin c from pine needles. There is an anthropomorphic equivalent of 140, 160, and 180 degrees. If I recall.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Door Frame posted:

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Sidenote for anyone wanting to do this but not in a goddamn box truck. You can buy used ambulances on ebay that you just have to strip the running light and siren off of and they are fully road legal.

You get massive maintenance records, a fully integrated and powered electrical system with batteries and inverters for power along with cutoff switches. A bench seat you can easily rip off and convert to a twin bed. 3 points of egress. A big old captains chair you can keep or toss. Keep the cabinets or rip them out but they are great for storage. If it's a vanbulance it's not a massive bitch to backup but will be smaller without the side panel storage. If it's a type 3 box truck you'll have storage for days and the interior is big. Come with 240 volt inputs for stationary charging

Bad side. The type 3 will suck down gas and typically gets like 8 to 10mpg many are diesel. They suck poo poo to backup, and the suspension is stiff due to the weight of the box. Tires will be a shitload when they need replaced and you need 4 on the back of a type 3.

Almost all of them will be 200k or more miles of hard long distance miles. But by god they will be running.

Quick glance in ebay literally had one 3 hours away from me for 4 grand. And a type 3 at 9grand that I legit would get if I was doing a mobile home. Like these things are definitely what I'd do instead of an rv for traveling because besides needing bathrooms they'd be easier and cheaper to fix with less proprietary parts (everything's based off ford or gm fleet trucks with a box dropped on it instead of a bed) they largely aren't filled with garbage you don't need and are more efficient.

Buy an ambulance not a box truck

This guy know what he’s talking about. If you’re not getting a box truck/bread tuck/ups van to convert, an ambulance is what I’ve been recommending to people for years. The only problem is they most often don’t have standing height, which sucks to live with day to day

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Snowy posted:

You can probably find a dirt cheap hosed up old tub locally, and if you seriously need to buy land you don’t need to spend that much, cmon. I’m in nyc and there’s upstate land that’s cheap as hell so I think you’re overestimating.

Don’t let a decades long dream pass you by!! Just make sure to post lots of progress shots of your woodlands deathtrap firetub.

nah, if I'm buying a parcel I intend to live on it as well as park my hobotub on it. that's about what poo poo, that is of size, has septic and electric and is of favorable location, goes for.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

DarkEuphoria posted:

This guy know what he’s talking about. If you’re not getting a box truck/bread tuck/ups van to convert, an ambulance is what I’ve been recommending to people for years. The only problem is they most often don’t have standing height, which sucks to live with day to day

Yeah standing height was important to me being 6'3" that and flat sides so I can build inside it easier. Not many of the perks for an ambulance listed appeals to me. I dont care about 240 volts and such.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one of the most critical aspects of an outhouse is the peeshield

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

one of the most critical aspects of an outhouse is the peeshield

Indeed I may have to consider that, however my outhouse foundation has a concrete riser so urine shouldn't hit the wood.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This thread is just amazing and the only reason I come to HCH. :nfpa:

Shine on you groverdiamond.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Rytheric posted:

Le BoisMerde

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
OP, have you considered incorporating new advances in Wood Science into your timbershitter design?

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/scientists-develop-transparent-wood-that-is-stronger-and-lighter-than-glass-1.5902739

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Follow up, do you plan on using engineered lumber for the timbershitter? If so, how long will it stay up until it burns down like an overinsured five-over-one?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Man, as a useless city person it's impossible to tell which posts in this thread are loving around and which are talking about real things. Even "engineered lumber" is something I had no idea existed, let alone refurbished ambulances and radioactive land and epistemic crises about :skeltal:

With every Ry comment I think "this time he must be taking the piss" :shepface:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a goon podcast that goes into engineering disasters, including the disaster of engineered lumber being used for buildings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVodkE47aLw

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Redmark posted:

Man, as a useless city person it's impossible to tell which posts in this thread are loving around and which are talking about real things. Even "engineered lumber" is something I had no idea existed, let alone refurbished ambulances and radioactive land and epistemic crises about :skeltal:

It's really crazy because OP is super passionate, and that passion carries over from things they seem very knowledgeable about (environmental remediation, efficient means of human waste disposal in various types of soil) to things they are absofuckinglutely clueless about (automobile engine cooling, smoke and heat dissipation in enclosed areas, heat generated by the decay of radionuclides in soil) seamlessly. The only thing OP seems self-aware about is that they know enough about electricity to know GroverTruk's electrical system is a fire hazard.

It's all loving insane, but I really do think that Ry has enough drive for knowledge to achieve their (possibly deranged) goals, if they're willing to listen and learn going forward.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Redmark posted:

Engineered wood products are great and you already know about them, even if you don't realize it. Plywood and MDF are the most commonly used pieces, but the technology is getting better all the time, so long structural pieces like 2"x8" boards can now be replaced by what is basically a plywood I-beam

Elviscat posted:

It's really crazy because OP is super passionate, and that passion carries over from things they seem very knowledgeable about (environmental remediation, efficient means of human waste disposal in various types of soil) to things they are absofuckinglutely clueless about (automobile engine cooling, smoke and heat dissipation in enclosed areas, heat generated by the decay of radionuclides in soil) seamlessly. The only thing OP seems self-aware about is that they know enough about electricity to know GroverTruk's electrical system is a fire hazard.

It's all loving insane, but I really do think that Ry has enough drive for knowledge to achieve their (possibly deranged) goals, if they're willing to listen and learn going forward.

Provided that a fire at the only exit to the box truck doesn't consume him first

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Nah I'm doing timber framing as opposed to stick framing or manufactured wood (other than laminated paneling)

Here is an example. I think they are using the same blueprint: https://youtu.be/0_naku8GRxg

Edit:quoted wrong person

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 7, 2021

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I'd say that even if you do the hinged fire pit, you still want some sort of chimney or make sure the wind NEVER blows into the truck.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Redmark posted:

If im not loving around in at least everything I do then I'm not living the best life I can, but everything is real. You just gotta gently caress with reality to keep the existential dread away.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Here is an over romanticized video of a fire heated bathtub. https://youtu.be/h5ziuzvjG5A

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The draw of an ambulance is the electrical is all upgraded with a more powerful inverter with idle system set for power production and reduced engine wear and gas usage. Along with a built-in 240 input for stationary charging and use. And since they are built to defined known standards and have strict maintenance requirements you can know what your getting. Get a duramax engine and it won't die.

A little more money but cut out all that risky electrical stuff your kill yourself with if you do it wrong, and have built in storage inside and outside! :science:

Your advice is actually really cool, thanks!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this was answered already, but why a timber frame constructed shitter? Timbers main advantages is high quality construction and the ability to make huge interior spaces. A pooper needs neither of those things. So why not save a buck and do stick construction? You can still make something super nice, if that's one of the motivating factors.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

Maybe this was answered already, but why a timber frame constructed shitter? Timbers main advantages is high quality construction and the ability to make huge interior spaces. A pooper needs neither of those things. So why not save a buck and do stick construction? You can still make something super nice, if that's one of the motivating factors.

Because I need to make the best outhouse shitter the world has ever seen. Nah. Its just to give me practice for timberframing the MurderHaus.

Also this was answered in the second post which describes the timbershitter lol

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wow that timber frame video you linked isn't anchored to the ground in any way. One large gust of twisty wind and you'll end up in Oz.