Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

The lack of checkpointing in GTA4 is really starting to frustrate me. Mostly because while the large city is very detailed and impressive it takes ages to drive through and when I fail a mission I don't want to spend minutes doing the busywork of driving across the city to get the actual meat of the mission. Almost every gaming session now ends with me quitting out after a failed mission cause I can't be arsed to try it all over again.

It was kind of interesting at least how they recorded alternate conversations that play when you're redoing the drive since I guess they knew people would be having to do them over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't you just call up a cab to take you back to mission starts?

e: oh wait, is this about driving during the actual mission and not the drive to the mission?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

DC Murderverse posted:

I finished the main story of Control today and I think that Jesse Faden might be my favorite VA performance in a game. I like that you can hear her thoughts, I like every single time she awkwardly blurts out words at a FBC person like she’s never talked to a human before (because obviously a woman who has lived her life doesn’t talk to people much), and I like that she’s enthusiastic about all the absolutely insane poo poo she goes through but also yells “oh gently caress off” at the giant parallel world eyeball beast.

I hope that Courtney Hope gets more VG work going forward. She must have made an impact on the people at Remedy given she was in all four episodes of Quantum Break and it seems like they crafted the character to match her look. The only other game role she’s had is “Sith Lord” in SWTOR. (Although her soap opera character’s name is Sally Spectra which is a video game-rear end name if I’ve ever heard one)

Also I love that one of her greatest fears is working at a dumb boring office as an assistant that no one treats with respect. Jesse Faden is very relatable.

Courtney Hope was fantastic in Control, and I love the "in-character" tour of the Remedy office that she did to promote the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIDr-rzzOdU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

Also this might just be me but the move to less cartoony and more realistic graphics has made everything way murkier so it's much harder to work out what the game actually wants you to do

Are you playing on PC? The console versions ran at a really low resolution IIRC.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I need a little spoiler-ish help with Outer Wilds. Brittle Hollow's , er, brittle-ness is still giving me the hibbly-jibblies real bad; are the places/times it demonstrates that random, or can I at least be assured of myself in select areas?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh and also also this game is transphobic as hell

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

I need a little spoiler-ish help with Outer Wilds. Brittle Hollow's , er, brittle-ness is still giving me the hibbly-jibblies real bad; are the places/times it demonstrates that random, or can I at least be assured of myself in select areas?

I think it always breaks down in the same way at the same times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lets hang out posted:

I think it always breaks down in the same way at the same times

Yeah nothing in the game is random, everything plays out the exact same way each cycle

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rarity posted:

The first Stalfos fight was such a brick wall for Teen Rarity that I bounced off the game for like 6 months

It's definitely one of the harder parts of the game. Especially since I hold the n64 controller very wrong and have fetus hands. I stalled on it one night and was talkin bout it at school with friends and managed to beat it after school, felt so cool.

speaking of ms pacman, do you know how hard it is to sort out where her bobas and vzone are supposed to go when you're drawing a tijuana bible where she gets ghosted by blinky after sex?

had another videogame tijuana bible sketched up somewhere but the ethics of it had me stall on it. Are Roll and Megaman children or adult robots?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 7, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's not called Megachild

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

haveblue posted:

Yeah nothing in the game is random, everything plays out the exact same way each cycle

Yes, no. That area _is_ random. Each chunk of the place has its own HP bar (visible when u slap a scout on it), there are random projectiles from the nearby projectile generator, and depending on where it hits and how frequently, diff section fall in sooner or later. Some areas naturally have lower HP and are more likely to fall in earlier, but there is no set pattern.

However, you can be reasonably assured in other ways. For one thing, the penatly for fucknig up and falling isn't so bad, sometimes you might do it on purpose. Second, you can get some wild orbits and curves when you do fall off a chunk that end up landing you somewhere safe (or a deadly smack into a wall at high speed, which honestly, is so fun that it's okay)

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 7, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pacfolk genitals are hidden inside a cloaca, much like those of Cacodemons and other spheroidal animals

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

He's not called Megachild

He was still called Megaman as a baby though

Hwurmp posted:

Pacfolk genitals are hidden inside a #####, much like those of Cacodemons and other spheroidal animals

Might want to edit your post, certain mods in this thread get itchy probe fingers when it comes to the c word

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just do what everyone else does and write an X and Zero romance novella

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

Yes, no. That area _is_ random. Each chunk of the place has its own HP bar (visible when u slap a scout on it), there are random projectiles from the nearby projectile generator, and depending on where it hits and how frequently, diff section fall in sooner or later. Some areas naturally have lower HP and are more likely to fall in earlier, but there is no set pattern.

However, you can be reasonably assured in other ways. For one thing, the penatly for fucknig up and falling isn't so bad, sometimes you might do it on purpose. Second, you can get some wild orbits and curves when you do fall off a chunk that end up landing you somewhere safe (or a deadly smack into a wall at high speed, which honestly, is so fun that it's okay)

That's surprising, since so much of the game is tied up in predictability and being able to memorize locations and routes on planets. Doesn't which parts of the planet fall affect what's accessible?

The only other thing I'm aware of being random is which direction the probe cannon fires but that has no real consequences.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Thanks for the info. I spent some time exploring and I know what the penalty is now, so it's a little less daunting

That being said, even knowing that, doing it still curdles my stomach enough to make me want to look away. Weird thing to have a phobia about, if you can call it that, but I was the same way with jumps in Elite: Dangerous, so it seems consistent :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 7, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

Doesn't which parts of the planet fall affect what's accessible?

Yeah, BH was one of the first places I went after exploring the heck out of the home planet and I happened to land on a certain important chunk and found myself uncovering information that wouldn't click or make sense for many more intentional discoveries.

Generally though, if you go at a start of a loop, it's unlikely the particular chunk you wanted to explore will go out fast. There's a lot of filler chunks and alternate routes around once they do start falling.

Ciaphas, I get you on the stomach curdling, though maybe I like the sensation more than you. It's like in a videogame when you take a giant leap or fall, that weird sinking feeling in stomache as if you were the one suddenly dropping.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It took about an hour and a half but I beat the Snow Storm and it's apparently a really hard mission so hurray :woop:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I loving hate jumping off tall poo poo in games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also being under water

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can always tell when I'm gonna get the big fall damage in XIV because my breath hitches up when I jump

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real hurthling! posted:

It's the best part of a lot of games

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real hurthling! posted:

Also being under water

It's the worst part of a lot of games

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The best part of every open world game is finding the tallest thing in the game, climbing up it, enjoying the view and then jumping off

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I don't mind doing this in terrestrial games - in fact it can be kinda fun, I loved doing it in FF14 just for giggles, especially in Kugane - but in space? gently caress that, gently caress that five thousand times over and every single major gravitational phenomenon out there alongside t:mad:

Khanstant posted:

Ciaphas, I get you on the stomach curdling, though maybe I like the sensation more than you. It's like in a videogame when you take a giant leap or fall, that weird sinking feeling in stomache as if you were the one suddenly dropping.
kinda neat if we are talking about the same sensation, 'cos I usually find that stomach lurch to be quite a horrible experience! In earth-bound games I just plain don't experience it at all, fortunately

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It's the best part of a lot of games

I freakin hate when games don't have a real floor and you either just fall into the fourth wall void or you just get faded back to last edge you were on. lemme fall aaaaaaalll the way down, THEN revive me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I don't mind doing this in terrestrial games - in fact it can be kinda fun, I loved doing it in FF14 just for giggles, especially in Kugane - but in space? gently caress that, gently caress that five thousand times over and every single major gravitational phenomenon out there alongside t:mad:

kinda neat if we are talking about the same sensation, 'cos I usually find that stomach lurch to be quite a horrible experience! In earth-bound games I just plain don't experience it at all.

How do you feel bout rollercoasters? I'm mostly indifferent, i don't like being knocked about and im not that into being physically pushed around at velocity. I dunno what it is though, artificially inducing that weird feeling is different. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a kind of unpleasant feeling, but something about it being fake and me being safe and just doing actual mindgames to my mind, makes me appreciate it in a weird way.

p.s. - i would love to jump into a blackhole IRL, I'm scared of heights but not being into spaghetti stream of particles

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

Also being under water

i love both of these things! but not in real life

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if theres a black hole in a space game the first thing im doing is launching myself into it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

How do you feel bout rollercoasters? I'm mostly indifferent, i don't like being knocked about and im not that into being physically pushed around at velocity. I dunno what it is though, artificially inducing that weird feeling is different. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a kind of unpleasant feeling, but something about it being fake and me being safe and just doing actual mindgames to my mind, makes me appreciate it in a weird way.

p.s. - i would love to jump into a blackhole IRL, I'm scared of heights but not being into spaghetti stream of particles

Rollercoasters are fuckin' great, I haven't been on one in years and I miss them. Adding 'look for a nearby-ish theme park' to my post-pandemic list :v:

I also really want to go paragliding someday, to add further context. Brains're weird!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Time for a break on OW, and man more games with infodumps need a Rumor Mode like this to tie it all together like this

Really helpful to my colander-like memory

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

Time for a break on OW, and man more games with infodumps need a Rumor Mode like this to tie it all together like this

Really helpful to my colander-like memory

Pathologic 2's thought web is great for this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

since black holes have come up: Kurzgesagt is a fantastic channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHBGFKLHZQ

"You'd die. You'd also lose the coin." "Nooooo!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i wonder what it feels like to be some kind of whole-brained bowl-head where your memories don't go sploshing out all the time. i can barely remember to smoke weed everyday at this rate

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Rinkles posted:

Nope, well not by blood anyway. Both were foster cats adopted a few years apart. Bruno was a Russian Blue because I'm allergic (they're supposed to be hypoallergic), and Wesley is some kind of mixed breed (I can't cuddle him).

Can confirm about Russian Blues being hypoallergenic. It’s why our cat is a Russian Blue.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They also meow in the most delightful accent. Мйeow!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hooray, I completed Bravely Default last night.

Might play Bravely Tooey, or maybe not, I hear it's not great?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Goons hate being at top of tall buildings (successful businessman) and taking baths, go figure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

13 Sentinels Analysis Mode was pretty good for keeping track of information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Goons hate being at top of tall buildings (successful businessman) and taking baths, go figure.

I find the ocean depths less spooky than astrological gravitational crap, I can say that

Still spooky, but at least there appears to be no crush depth in OW, so that helps a lot