Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I can but it's so much effort. I would rather risk their lives than the certainty of having to re-lay the furniture.

Like it's not even particularly expensive I just can't be arsed clicking to put it all back how it's supposed to be.

That's why I turned them off, really. It's not that I found them unmanageable, I figured out how to fight them, I just couldn't be arsed cleaning up the mess afterwards every time.

You know there's a checkbox in the lower right that will make them rebuild things that are destroyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is there a mod that adds a "skin" layer to the head?

I feel like a skullcap or a gunlink should be wearable under a hat. So maybe headgear should be reorganized like this:

Skin - Eltex skullcap, gunlink
Outer - Everything else except power-armor helmets
Skin + Outer - Power-armor helmets, basically Recon or higher

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

socialsecurity posted:

You know there's a checkbox in the lower right that will make them rebuild things that are destroyed?

Absolutely cannot imagine playing without that lil button.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Whatever mod I installed that added a bunch of bones to Rimworld is annoying but I guess it's teaching me physiology (of which I'm almost totally ignorant). I've been having to look up whatever the gently caress weird bone is destroyed so I can figure out whether they are getting a steel leg or arm.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

Whatever mod I installed that added a bunch of bones to Rimworld is annoying but I guess it's teaching me physiology (of which I'm almost totally ignorant). I've been having to look up whatever the gently caress weird bone is destroyed so I can figure out whether they are getting a steel leg or arm.

Depending on which bones you're seeing, that might not be a mod! In Vanilla you can have a shattered femur or humerus that renders that limb completely unusable

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

These are the baseline bones and body parts. Outside of maybe the clavicle you should absolutely know what all these are lol.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there any way to destroy a mini-slugger turret without it exploding? Can I supress it in any way?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

They sometimes don't explode, RNG baby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

They chew up the walls and then I have to do the stupid smoothing thing to get the colours to blend back properly. And god forbid they spawn near the edge of the map and start chewing the border tiles so I can't patch them.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Rimworld of Magic question: my technomancer succeeds in casting her turret like 20% of the time. Mostly i target the spell on a patch of ground, she launches some green cylinder, and then it impacts the ground and just disappears and nothing happens. I know the turret is supposed to disappear if the mage moves or does anything, but even drafted the turret doesn't appear. Occasionally it will if I cast it while undrafted, but I can't figure out why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Any advice?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The most strictly accurate sarcophagus my pawns have ever produced:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Every so often you will get a scene on sarcophagus that is extremely on point and depressing.

I had one for a guy who had just got married and then died in a raid that was basically just an image of his wife hugging him.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 6, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There a way to disable auto-forbid when my dudes get too high they pass out and drop their weapons? It's annoying finding a masterwork chain shotgun with a little X over it in the drug room.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Telsa Cola posted:

Every so often you will get a scene on sarcophagus that is extremely on point and depressing.

I had one for a guy who had just got married and than died in a raid that was basically his wife hugging him.

I had one that was "The Sexuality of Poz" (Poz was a dead goblin who was kind and also a racist).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

I had one for a guy who had just got married and then died in a raid that was basically just an image of his wife hugging him.

I have a few art pieces of the artist finishing that exact art piece. It's very meta.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Slightly out there mod question - is there a mod that allows you to edit the frequency of or disable modded events? I was looking at some of the VE faction mods, but there appears to be some negative feedback on how often their events trigger as opposed to base game ones. So it's either that or locally edit a copy of the mod to tweak as needed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Razakai posted:

Slightly out there mod question - is there a mod that allows you to edit the frequency of or disable modded events? I was looking at some of the VE faction mods, but there appears to be some negative feedback on how often their events trigger as opposed to base game ones. So it's either that or locally edit a copy of the mod to tweak as needed.

I don't know if you can alter the frequency of it, but you can disable specific events by setting up custom starting scenarios. This should work unless the mod events are triggered by some other system that doesn't go through the storyteller.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

There a way to disable auto-forbid when my dudes get too high they pass out and drop their weapons? It's annoying finding a masterwork chain shotgun with a little X over it in the drug room.

I use this, they don't always auto reequip, but in that case someone else usually takes it to storage.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539028008

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Quote is not edit dummy

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know if you can alter the frequency of it, but you can disable specific events by setting up custom starting scenarios. This should work unless the mod events are triggered by some other system that doesn't go through the storyteller.

You can use that to disable modded events? If so that's great, some mods add neat stuff but a ton of events I have no interest in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

Simple Sidearms sort of accomplishes this by having pawns remember what their primary weapon was when they get downed, so when they're back up they can go and retrieve it

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927155256&searchtext=simple+sidearms

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

Simple Sidearms sort of accomplishes this by having pawns remember what their primary weapon was when they get downed, so when they're back up they can go and retrieve it

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927155256&searchtext=simple+sidearms

I use simple sidearms, and it works under normal conditions but like 50% of the time something causes it to be forbidden. It's very annoying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anyone else suddenly unable to run Rimworld after today's patch?

e: Great, figured out that Alpha Animals and Alpha Biomes got patched yesterday and removing them fixed the crashing problem.

Then determined that Alpha Animals now requires the Vanilla Expanded Framework, for whatever reason, which wasn't a requirement before. Added Vanilla Expanded Framework and now I can load Alpha Animals and Alpha Biomes again

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 7, 2021

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

These are the baseline bones and body parts. Outside of maybe the clavicle you should absolutely know what all these are lol.

I feel like I'm getting more than these, but I own up to my physiology stupidity. I did not know the humerus, radius, and tibia. The clavicle I know from rigging models.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Is there a Combat Extended patch for Alpha Animals? I've found two, supposedly, but they both look either obviously outdated or questionably outdated. Otherwise I keep seeing red text on game start about Dunealisks or something not having a CE compatibility.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have had a hilarious day. I did a Naked and Alone start, and died within 2-3 in-game days. However, I had the mod that speeds up when the next colonist arrives. So far I've had three separate colonies in the ruins of the previous one. Early on, some ducks joined the colony, and have provided a permanent ongoing source of food. The fourth civilization had actually gotten as far as building a turbine, and things looked great ... until I accidentally arrested a member of the war traders instead of the attacker I was trying to arrest.

This ... did not go well. Not only did they shoot all my colonists (fair) but they also shot all my ducks, and my sheep, and my alpacas. Now what are the *next* set of wanderers going to eat?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I feel like I'm getting more than these, but I own up to my physiology stupidity. I did not know the humerus, radius, and tibia. The clavicle I know from rigging models.

Mods may add stuff, like the patella (kneep cap). Bionic or medical mods are the most likely ones to add stuff.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 7, 2021

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Has anyone had that thing where they lost a corpse and then just assumed it was cremated but then it turns out some pawn had put it in a sarcophagus in a monument you forgot to tear down a long while ago?

Is there a mod for sorting notifications and make them expire over time?

Also what's the deal with the android tier skill servers? Each server gives 200 skill points. You need 1000 skill points to make 1 available point and 7 available points to make 1 skill "Burning passion" ergo 35 skill servers?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Katt posted:

Has anyone had that thing where they lost a corpse and then just assumed it was cremated but then it turns out some pawn had put it in a sarcophagus in a monument you forgot to tear down a long while ago?

Is there a mod for sorting notifications and make them expire over time?

Also what's the deal with the android tier skill servers? Each server gives 200 skill points. You need 1000 skill points to make 1 available point and 7 available points to make 1 skill "Burning passion" ergo 35 skill servers?

Okay never mind my T4 terminator androids punch metals from the earth so quick that the material cost is arbitrary anyway.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Katt posted:

The servers generate skill points over time, which you then apply to androids. They are: incredibly broken.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you wanna play android tiers and have it not be broken, dont use the skill point computers and dont use any tiers higher than 3

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Speaking of Combat Extended, does it live up to the hype? While it does seem much loved, it's a bit intimidating to figure out exactly how it changes the feel and flow of the game. I've noticed big overhauls like it in other games often just turn into "everything dies twice as fast".
I also saw Yayo's Combat as a more lightweight version - anyone tried both and can compare them?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I tried combat extended a few times. Just jumped into harder difficulties.

I feel like it amplifies the effect of your micromanagement compared to vanilla, but you also need to be able to get things like large AP to take care of centipedes and the like. I shot a thrumbo I think 55 times to kill it with the starter gun and AP rounds, the thing was bruised 55 times. Given that it was a lot easier then vanilla due to the AI not really being tuned for the new ranges.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah, I've heard the AI really breaks down when it tries to deal with combat at long range. I like the idea of a mod that removes the silliness of a legendary skilled marksman with a laser having to shoot 10 times to kill a squirrel, but maybe I'll just accept that as abstraction for the sake of simplicity.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have you every tried to shoot a squirrel that actively tries to avoid getting shot?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve recently become a Combat Extended convert. It’s super interesting to me, yet was a little daunting with all the ammo types in the beginning. I think the AI handles range just fine, mechs are even deadlier, and fighting the Empire is a super risky thing given the power of their armor, not simply a, “I’ll have my 6 tribals rush the two power armor wearers and it’ll be fine.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

Each tier of android is harder to skill up, the basic ones can be done with far fewer servers.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
It's the ammo and mod incompatibilities that put me off trying CE. My eyes glazed over looking at this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VAAI_fJ7Ky6YdrxUN9e9tajKOShuFWhdq4lH_sTYgP8/edit#gid=1198674278

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I'm waaay behind on this thread, but I want to share this.

Playing multiplayer with a friend, and we have gone for the "army of chickens" strategy. We currently have around 270 chickens and decided to go to another map and raid a tomb with some of them.

This is a bunch of chickens ganging up on a centipede. We ignore the pikeman cause we were to busy giggling at what was happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcVt0iWqxFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Razakai posted:

It's the ammo and mod incompatibilities that put me off trying CE. My eyes glazed over looking at this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VAAI_fJ7Ky6YdrxUN9e9tajKOShuFWhdq4lH_sTYgP8/edit#gid=1198674278

I haven't ever seen that before, guns tell you in the tooltip what ammo types they use and how much damage/AP they have with each type. And AP is just simple numbers for piercing and bashing.

Some of them have secondary effects like incendiary does burn damage and explosive ammo does explosive damage which can bust through armour, but broadly you only need a few types of ammo. Most of the guns use common types like nato 5.56 or soviert 5.45, there's .50 cals and 12.7mm russian big bullets, and there's charge ammo. But it's all pretty automated once you get it set up.

I would probably prefer a verson that just had like, "pistol, intermediate, heavy, high tech" as the types but kept the AP/HP/FMJ distinctions, but it's not too hard to play with ingame IMO.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 7, 2021