Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I guess Stephen Amell and Clark Gregg were trying to figure out a way to crossover Arrow/Agents of Shield but alas.

Also, DC would actually have to like I dunno have a super hero be happy but since they are "adult" that is never going to happen.

Shazam crossovers the MCU and hilarity ensues!! Coming December 2060 at your nearest holo-streaming service.

In all honestly, Shazam has been the only movie that could go well with the MCU tone. Probably Aquaman and Wonder Woman if handled well, and maybe Harley Quinn too. Everything else, too artsy or too you know what.

Anyways:

Ignis posted:

^^^

uncredited on episode 3

I had noticed the character, but my mind just waved it away as some random person.

Invalid Validation posted:

What happened to the power stones at the end of End Game? I don’t remember, did Tony destroy them?

The original ones destroyed by Thanos. The ones from the time heist: Captain America returned them to their respective timeline/universe.
Edit: Beaten when I was looking away!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kazaam crossover when

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

radlum posted:

Considering how unlikely a crossover in the comics is, I guess we could rule out a movie crossover...but maybe one day; I wouldn't rule it out entirely

I've been saying 2025 for years now.

Mark your calendars.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

In complete violation of the rules of time travel laid out earlier in the movie by the ancient one

This is not something that matters hugely, but is irritating, yes. They wanted to have their cake and eat it, so they're not ACTUALLY going back in time, but to another timeline that's similar... except in Cap's case, unless you stretch and think he's from ANOTHER version of events, but that's clearly not what we're supposed to take from it and... just loving have it use Back To The Future rules, guys... everyone understands that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

radlum posted:

Considering how unlikely a crossover in the comics is, I guess we could rule out a movie crossover...but maybe one day; I wouldn't rule it out entirely

Could always do some multiverse version of amalgam

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

This is not something that matters hugely, but is irritating, yes. They wanted to have their cake and eat it, so they're not ACTUALLY going back in time, but to another timeline that's similar... except in Cap's case, unless you stretch and think he's from ANOTHER version of events, but that's clearly not what we're supposed to take from it and... just loving have it use Back To The Future rules, guys... everyone understands that.

I think it makes perfect sense. Earlier in the film, Bruce and Tony reassure everyone that going back in time won't mess up their timeline or create a new one. Later, the Ancient One tells Bruce that no, actually, by messing with the timeline you are creating a new branch, one doomed to destruction without the protection of the Infinity Stones. At the end, Steve goes back in time, lives the life he wanted, then jumps back to his own timeline after the events of Endgame to pass on the mantle to Sam.

The implication that a timeline is doomed without the energy of the Infinity Stones is relevant to Wandavision, of course, because it's looking like she's somehow become the vessel of that energy, now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boxman posted:

Also also, what are we doing with spoilers in this thread? Surely not everything related to every episode needs to be spoiled.

Apparently the thread rule is 72 hours after release, so... Monday everyone can stop the black bars?

e:^^ yeah it's a magic fudge. Causality doesn't matter for time travel except for the very specific instance where you mess with the infinity stones, then you royally gently caress things up. Don't consider the implications for the 'present' now that the stones have been destroyed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, it's possible "oh poo poo, we hosed up with the way he handled giving back the Infinity Stones" is actually going to be a relevant plot thread throughout the next phase or two, that allows some threat to rise or makes handling them harder than it would otherwise be. I doubt it, but it could be a deliberate inconsistency.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even if he jumped back to the prime timeline after living his life he should have arrived via the quantum pad thingy, not bench by the lake

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Loki took one from that one timeline they hosed up so I guess they can start popping back up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tsob posted:

I mean, it's possible "oh poo poo, we hosed up with the way he handled giving back the Infinity Stones" is actually going to be a relevant plot thread throughout the next phase or two, that allows some threat to rise or makes handling them harder than it would otherwise be. I doubt it, but it could be a deliberate inconsistency.

I mean, the big issue right now is that the Ancient One says that the Infinity Stones are what basically create what we perceive as reality. Since Thanos destroyed them, reality technically shouldn't exist. And now Wanda is displaying the powers of all of the Stones. They make a point of this in the most recent episode, that she's using abilities she shouldn't have.

Invalid Validation posted:

Loki took one from that one timeline they hosed up so I guess they can start popping back up.

But it was the Loki from that reality who took that stone, so he didn't remove it from that timeline.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Desperado Bones posted:

I had noticed the character, but my mind just waved it away as some random person.

in fairness, they never actually show the beekeeper guy's face without the hazmat suit iirc. People pierced it together because the guy got a credit on a previous episode, so unless you looked him up on imdb beforehand, you wouldn't really make that connection.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Thr Loki show is literally about timeline and dimensions so I'm sure a bunch of this stuff will be mentioned/expanded on.

When it comes to time travel I just assume the timeline they're focusing on is the "real" one. No one cares what happened to Marty's original timeline or what happened to the bad 1985 timeline because the narrative focus is from Marty's perspective so that's the correct one.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Comrade Fakename posted:

The question is, how far does this go? Because really, the ultimate conclusion to this concept would be a crossover with the DC universe.
I think you're on the right track, but not for a long time. Shared cinematic universes started building up about 10-15 years ago, and now everyone's got one. Now that a multiverse is on the table, expect everyone to ape that for another decade or so. After that, the next logical step is probably "omniverse" crossovers that unite all the IPs that studios already own (Star Wars/Marvel/Alien, etc.), and then after that maybe we'll see competing studios working together. It also kind of depends on whether another Big Five studio gets bought out in that time. Right now ViacomCBS has the smallest market share, but I'd bet on a Warner buyout over a Disney buyout.

Phylodox posted:

But it was the Loki from that reality who took that stone, so he didn't remove it from that timeline.
Also the info they've released about the Loki series seems to indicate that he's going to be busted by timecops for doing that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Phylodox posted:

I mean, the big issue right now is that the Ancient One says that the Infinity Stones are what basically create what we perceive as reality. Since Thanos destroyed them, reality technically shouldn't exist.

I think I wrote something about this in the thread, hold on a tick

Edit yeah here we go

Boxman posted:

The Ancient One's speech is a little weird - I went back and watched the scene to make sure I'm remembering right. She first that the infinity stones create what "you experience as" the flow of time. Removing one of the stones creates a split to doom. But she continues that the stones are the "chief weapon against the forces of darkness," and that they'd be overrun without them.

There's some tension between the two. The first implies that existence is tied in a metaphysical way to the stones. The second is way more concrete, and it makes sense in the context of the time stone that's the subject of their conversation. If Strange didn't have the time stone during the events of his movie, Dormammu just straight up wins. If the mind stone were gone, that wipes out Ultron, but it also wipes out Vision (who presumably is a net positive for the timeline, since he's a hero and what have you). Without the reality stone forcing the big fight at the end of The Dark World, maybe Malekith actually does something even more destructive later on. Presumably Thanos exploding all the stones was what was "supposed" to happen so its less of a big deal for "our" timeline to lose them.

I would guess the actual answer is that the Ancient One's speech was intentionally written to be a bit fuzzy fuzzy so as to keep narrative options open in the future, which doesn't bother me too much. Time travel rarely works completely logically in stories, and stressing out about continuity is one of the worst expressions of comic book nerdery anyway.

My point is that it’s probably a little futile to try to divine what’s going on here based on previous “rules.”

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Azhais posted:

In complete violation of the rules of time travel laid out in Timecop, Back to the Future, Terminator, Terminator 2.... Hot Tub Time Machine...

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
They're doing Dragon Ball Z time travel, not BTtF

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mochiballs posted:

Ya know I know everyone is saying that Mephisto is behind everything, but I really feel like it really is just Wanda. If she had to make some grand bargain to get this world to control with she should demand her money back because they said it was like 7 days since the event started right? And the whole thing is glitching out already so I think Wanda's TRYING to control everything and struggling. I think I'd accept it if at the end of this it was revealed she did on her own. Maybe she just went to Agatha Harkness with help harnessing her power, but she's totally lucid. What I get from Agatha is that she's scared of Wanda, not that she's controlling her.

It's likely that she was trying. When Agnes asks Wanda if she wants to take it from the top, she has the air of someone who has just realised she's riding a horse that won't be ridden but she can't stop.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Desperado Bones posted:

Oof. The Spaniard guy who accidentally leaked this last episode character cameo got fired, people say there's another person credited for the dub. News says he deleted every social media he had. Oh super yikes.

Oh, you mean the guy who tweeted that he was returning as the Spanish voice of you-know-who like the day after the first episodes premiered? My guess is that it was genuinely accidental on his part, he didn’t read the NDA closely or follow the show’s PR and assumed they were going with the Netflix binge model, but still, how the hell do you gently caress up that badly.

makes me wonder what will happen to the person who leaked episode 6 footage two weeks early, lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I think the aerospace engineer might be Justin Hammer. He is one and this show has brought back fan favorites with Darcy and Woo already. He’d fit right in

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Alchenar posted:

Apparently the thread rule is 72 hours after release, so... Monday everyone can stop the black bars?
where was that specified? seems way excessive IMO

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spacebump posted:

I think the aerospace engineer might be Justin Hammer. He is one and this show has brought back fan favorites with Darcy and Woo already. He’d fit right in

Sam Rockwell dancing onto set to rapturous applause and laughter, a la Kramer or Norm is something I didn't know I needed until now

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FoneBone posted:

where was that specified? seems way excessive IMO

I agree, it makes enough sense for the Netflix binge model where catching up requires a serious upfront time investment, but for weekly releases, I don’t really understand the logic at all. Shouldn’t be more than 24 hours imo

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Andrew Verse posted:

Except Wanda's power does affect things further. Jimmy Woo mentions that when he contacted the associates and relatives of the witness that's gone missing, none of them had ever heard of him. And the cops from Eastview denied the existence of their neighbouring town, even as they stood on the road leading right to that town.

It kind of depends on how she did that. You're assuming that Wanda went person by person and directly altered their memories. However, I don't think she did that as witness Jimmy and Monica being perfectly able to recognize Westview's existence. I think it might be better to think of the connections that people outside of Westview had to the people and places within it as metaphysical "rope bridges." From Westview, Wanda "burned" those bridges. So people who were connected in a personal way to Westview forgot about it and anyone in it. People without a connection still remember the place. In any case, Wanda's effect is clearly limited. She couldn't erase all traces of Westview from everywhere, just from those most likely to notice something wrong immediately ie, people connected to the place.

Azhais posted:

Even if he jumped back to the prime timeline after living his life he should have arrived via the quantum pad thingy, not bench by the lake

As a reward for keeping his (team mate's) word and returning the Time Stone, the Ancient One did some magick with time and dimensions to drop Steve into his preferred life with the codicil attached to the spell that once time caught back up to the present day Steve would appear by that lake because it's s pretty lake. Does that work or must I wank again?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Wasn't Justin Hammer's thing that he was all talk and actually a terrible engineer?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

As a reward for keeping his (team mate's) word and returning the Time Stone, the Ancient One did some magick with time and dimensions to drop Steve into his preferred life with the codicil attached to the spell that once time caught back up to the present day Steve would appear by that lake because it's s pretty lake. Does that work or must I wank again?

Time Wank, Time Wank 2...Time Wank 3: Chronogasm...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phylodox posted:

I mean, the big issue right now is that the Ancient One says that the Infinity Stones are what basically create what we perceive as reality. Since Thanos destroyed them, reality technically shouldn't exist. And now Wanda is displaying the powers of all of the Stones. They make a point of this in the most recent episode, that she's using abilities she shouldn't have.

If it actually is her and not a fakeout. I'm wondering if everything intending done by the kids themselves. Like if Wanda was pregnant before she was blipped you'd have a pair of twins fathered by the energy of one stone and affected by the powers of all the stones, twice, in utero. It's why Pietro was recast, they don't know what he looks like. It's also a way to tell this story about Wanda without making her irredeemable for future movies.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if the lack of kids in Westview could be related to the children seemingly being able to age at will. It didn't seem like Wanda was in control of that, because she seemed surprised at both the speed of the pregnancy and the kids suddenly aging up ~5 years - which happened more than once - then after the dog died she told them not to do it again. So maybe there were kids in Westview, but they've all aged up?

That would also be thematically consistent with Far From Home, where the snapped kids returning from the blip talked about how weird it was that their same-age classmates were now 5 years older than them.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

AngryBooch posted:

I'm friends with a person at one of the major special effects shops that works with Marvel all the time. I always ask which Marvel picture they're working on and have never gotten any response until the movie is out and then he's like "yeah I wish I had more time to work on deaging SLJ". It is incredibly serious business, like no cell phones in the office levels of serious.

I have a weird question. How does one get the job to make the fake CGI for trailer? Like is it a prestigious job? Is it like, "Johnson, I think you're ready to work on the fake Hulk."

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Barry Convex posted:

Oh, you mean the guy who tweeted that he was returning as the Spanish voice of you-know-who like the day after the first episodes premiered? My guess is that it was genuinely accidental on his part, he didn’t read the NDA closely or follow the show’s PR and assumed they were going with the Netflix binge model, but still, how the hell do you gently caress up that badly.

makes me wonder what will happen to the person who leaked episode 6 footage two weeks early, lol

Oh yeah, the guy is like a super-VA star in Spain or something. His career might be done, I guess.

the guy who leaked the footage is probably sporting a good pair of cement shoes at the bottom of a lake. In all seriousness they probably got fired on spot, and banned from working on anything Disney and associates. I dunno if Disney can sue the poo poo out of people who leak their stuff. Because they definitely would do it, no questions asked.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lammasu posted:

I have a weird question. How does one get the job to make the fake CGI for trailer? Like is it a prestigious job? Is it like, "Johnson, I think you're ready to work on the fake Hulk."

The special effects house typically doesn't get the entire movie or show and individual teams or artists get even less context for their shots and scenes than a person at the studio director level. My friend worked on Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and Wasp, and Endgame most recently. He told me after we saw Captain Marvel that he was imagining while working on it that it would need to be the length of two movies, and that the first one would take place almost entirely in space in a war between Kree and Skrull, like Carol falling to Earth would be a post-credits scene and that the whole thing took place in the 90s would be a twist. This is just to illustrate that the individuals have very little idea of how what their working on fits into a larger whole. That's one reason he just will not talk about anything related to what he's currently working on, he has very little idea of what would constitute an actual spoiler.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Boxman posted:

I actually like the theory that old sitcoms are her frame of reference for an idealized fantasy life in America.

Also, an observation that's been making the rounds - they changed her response to Viz's "where's Geraldine?" in the recap, to something more sinister and suggestive that she's losing her grip more. But if her losing control is affecting the recaps, it means the Disney+ show Wandavision is, in some way, diagetic. All sorts of weirdness could follow.

Looking back on this, it does matter. It means she CAN control Vision, his actions, and his memories.

It looks pretty simple at first, they're just recapping a new scene from episode 4. In the ep 3/4 recaps, they show us a scene where Wanda is acting totally innocent and just says "Geraldine had to rush home honey" or whatever. But things aren't that simple. We've been shown that multiple versions of the same scene can occur, and in episode 4, we saw something like the "original" version of why Geraldine had to leave, before it was written over with the innocent one. We didn't actually see her say the "Geraldine's gone. She didn't belong here. :menacing:" line, but presumably she said that right after her and Geraldine had their confrontation and she blasted her out of the town. The differences are extremely minor, but you can see when Vision busts in the door that they are two slightly different cuts of the same scene.

Basically what happened was that Wanda and Geraldine were inside the house with Vision and the doctor. Vision walks outside with doctor, and we see him have the weird scene with Herb and Agnes. During this time, Wanda confronts Geraldine and blasts her through the wall of the house. Vision walks in and see Geraldine gone, and asks Wanda where she is, and Wanda responds, "She's gone. She didn't belong here." But that doesn't mesh with her Partridge Family vibe so she rewinds everything, including Vision. Then we get take 2, the one we saw originally in episode 3, and this time she responds with, "Oh, she left, honey. She had to rush home."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Necrothatcher posted:

Wasn't Justin Hammer's thing that he was all talk and actually a terrible engineer?

He's Marvel's answer to Elon Musk.

The real Elon is also in Iron Man 2

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I hope Jimmy is the new Coulson and just rocks up in all the TV shows doing the card trick everytime.

Then you see all the super heroes learning how to do it so they can do it to him the next time they see him

Wanna see Jimmy do the card trick to an amazed Dr. Strange.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Mailman was identified (somewhere around where they were talking about cap marvel) as someone in the town. Could be a red herring?

I saw what looked like him on the board with an ID on the rewatch but there was no mention of it in dialogue. Darn cuz this throws off the cool theories even if I just had him as a guy who explained the rules for a higher power he was afraid of but wasn't involved in the actual control. That was the only new ID I saw on the board though...

radlum posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it, no theory about the couple in the ads has said anything about the children;.
Outside of the kids obviously not being their kids I've not seen much speculation with their existence but that points to them either being hostages or you can mind control them for just long enough to do a commercial. I think Agnes saying that you can't control them means she is somehow involved and knows that from experience even if she isn't in charge any more. I don't buy the theory that they are her parents because of the kids existing.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I am so glad I didn’t read this thread before I saw the last episode because the appearance of Evan Peters absolutely blew my mind and was one of the biggest surprises I’ve ever had in any media. I hollered like a YouTube “reacts” channel, and it’s not even my job to over-react to things,

Same, i specifically avoid reading as stuff about Marvels series/tv shows after the initial announcements and early trailers but hoped they'd do something like this as this is the best avenue to do it. I still hope the other Quicksilver appears (Next episodes is the 90s and one famous sitcom had a recasting) and we get some other cameos that blow minds, even if it is just other sitcom stars.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Necrothatcher posted:

And also in jail

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s no kids in town cause Wanda melted them down to make her own kids.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ignis posted:

And also in jail

Maybe not, he was arrested 13 years ago in the MCU.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ignis posted:

And also in jail

SWORD seems to give little shits about laws given what they were doing to Vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ignis posted:

And also in jail

I don't care if they do it by putting a silly mustache on Sam Rockwell and have him play a character named Dustin Jammer, if they actually get him on the show I will be delighted.